Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Strudel Man posted:

All copts are bastards, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Jp2Orj06o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

That corridor connecting Ethiopia to Ghana is what I've wanted for years now.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

That corridor connecting Ethiopia to Ghana is what I've wanted for years now.

This is legitimately looking like the best patch in years.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there a strategy or trick to defeating the Western Protectorate?

I'm attempting a White Hun campaign, and the Western Protectorate has nabbed a province of Khotan, which I will need to take back. Twice now I've tried to declare war, and they drop a 100k doom-stack in Bengal and march up to the Western Protectorate - not suffering any attrition, of course.

I have about 100k troops under my vassals, around 15k of my own, and a 15k retinue of Shock and Elephants. All so much paper in the face of the 1k supply in Tibet in winter.

I would really rather not restart the campaign when all I need is one province and 2 centuries to do it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
How does Gavelkind work? This is an embarassing question to ask for someone with almost a thousand hours in game, but I usually start games in the 1066 era where I manage to change my inheritance law if my character starts with it.

I'm emperor of Hispania and the Duke of Algrave is the only living son of the Duchess of Aquatine, Gascgone, and Potiou. He was in line to inherit 40% of France. He has had kids though and now is oldest son is line to inherit it all. Why?

Is it possible that France has made foreign inheritance transfer illegal and that's why it skips the landed father?

Also, why aren't the duchies split between his two sons instead of all going to the oldest one?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Moreau posted:

I'm attempting a White Hun campaign, and the Western Protectorate has nabbed a province of Khotan, which I will need to take back. Twice now I've tried to declare war, and they drop a 100k doom-stack in Bengal and march up to the Western Protectorate - not suffering any attrition, of course.

I have about 100k troops under my vassals, around 15k of my own, and a 15k retinue of Shock and Elephants. All so much paper in the face of the 1k supply in Tibet in winter.

I would really rather not restart the campaign when all I need is one province and 2 centuries to do it.

Military Organisation 4

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Moreau posted:

Seems like you need to fight them in your own territory. When I've fought China before they will eventually split up their doomstack to siege multiple provinces; clean them up when they do that.

Charlz Guybon posted:

How does Gavelkind work? This is an embarassing question to ask for someone with almost a thousand hours in game, but I usually start games in the 1066 era where I manage to change my inheritance law if my character starts with it.

I'm emperor of Hispania and the Duke of Algrave is the only living son of the Duchess of Aquatine, Gascgone, and Potiou. He was in line to inherit 40% of France. He has had kids though and now is oldest son is line to inherit it all. Why?

Is it possible that France has made foreign inheritance transfer illegal and that's why it skips the landed father?

Also, why aren't the duchies split between his two sons instead of all going to the oldest one?

If your duke isn't disqualified from inheritance for some reason like being a eunuch then yeah they might have outlawed external inheritance. You can check by looking at the de jure kingdoms map mode and hovering over Aquitaine.

I think the reason the titles aren't splitting is because they're not being inherited by a direct relative and are skipping over a generation but I'm not sure.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Charlz Guybon posted:

... does Gavelkind work? ...

Your oldest gets your highest title. if you have multiple equal titles, each heir gets one. If you hold lands enough to make a new de jour king title, it makes one, and gives it to 2nd heir, on down till you run out of land. Vikings run into this when you say, form Kingdom of Sweden, and vassalise all of Denmark with subjugation and the rest of the independent counts of Norway by just asking for vassalage once your border touches theirs. You got three kids. it gives your heir Sweden. Then your second gets Norway. Third Denmark. Then on to Duke titles. it will try and favor Duke titles in the kingdom they got, but that wont stop it from say giving Austergotland to the son who inherited Denmark if your old king was a grand duke with Sweden and Austergotland. Inheritance will also rip a county away from someone in the new kingdoms, giving it to the new king, if no land is set to inherate from personal holdings of the dead king.

It makes kingdoms fly apart. Until you think you can push to an empire, the msot you want to personally hold is 49% of other kingdoms outside your first de jour kingdom.

A good thing is any of your brothers will leave you strong claims on their poo poo. A quick unification war or three fixes border gore.

edit: Not really the question asked.

He likely has foreign inheritance outlawed. The land stays in France, so it goes to the next in line, being his son.

the Second Son is not in line to inherate by Gavelkin, at least by how it understand it. Being that there is only the one heir, and he is disqualified, it goes to primogeniture for the next in line, being his oldest son.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 11, 2018

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

winterwerefox posted:

Your oldest gets your highest title. if you have multiple equal titles, each heir gets one. If you hold lands enough to make a new de jour king title, it makes one, and gives it to 2nd heir, on down till you run out of land. Vikings run into this when you say, form Kingdom of Sweden, and vassalise all of Denmark with subjugation and the rest of the independent counts of Norway by just asking for vassalage once your border touches theirs. You got three kids. it gives your heir Sweden. Then your second gets Norway. Third Denmark. Then on to Duke titles. it will try and favor Duke titles in the kingdom they got, but that wont stop it from say giving Austergotland to the son who inherited Denmark if your old king was a grand duke with Sweden and Austergotland. Inheritance will also rip a county away from someone in the new kingdoms, giving it to the new king, if no land is set to inherate from personal holdings of the dead king.

It makes kingdoms fly apart. Until you think you can push to an empire, the msot you want to personally hold is 49% of other kingdoms outside your first de jour kingdom.

A good thing is any of your brothers will leave you strong claims on their poo poo. A quick unification war or three fixes border gore.
I know the basics like this, but it does not seem to be working like that in the example I gave.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

I know the basics like this, but it does not seem to be working like that in the example I gave.

I posted an edit to what you quoted, but I will repeat the edit.

He likely has foreign inheritance outlawed. The land stays in France, so it goes to the next in line, being his son.

The Second Son is not in line to inherit by Gavelkin, at least by how it understand it. Being that there is only the one heir, and he is disqualified, it goes to primogeniture for the next in line, being his oldest son.

If he didnt have a son, it would try and find someone else of his dynasty and give it all to the most qualified. It would not try and find more to split the titles around. Some no land cousin might suddenly own 40% of France, but cousin's younger brother gets nothing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moreau posted:

Is this the same problem I had and the answer to your attrition problems is as simple as spending 19 gold on a fort?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I think Moreau is talking about regular attrition from low supply. Supply in Tibetan counties during winter isn't a problem early on but when you start having 10/15k armies... Yeah.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

winterwerefox posted:

I posted an edit to what you quoted, but I will repeat the edit.

The Second Son is not in line to inherit by Gavelkin, at least by how it understand it. Being that there is only the one heir, and he is disqualified, it goes to primogeniture for the next in line, being his oldest son.

If he didnt have a son, it would try and find someone else of his dynasty and give it all to the most qualified. It would not try and find more to split the titles around. Some no land cousin might suddenly own 40% of France, but cousin's younger brother gets nothing.
Okay, got it.

What if the only living member of the dynasty is a foreign lord? (Not the case here, just wondering). Does the King inherit?

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Azhais posted:

Is this the same problem I had and the answer to your attrition problems is as simple as spending 19 gold on a fort?

I'll have to check that out. Money is certainly not an object, but a bad winter can drop supply to 1 in Tibet, and when you have an attritionless 160k stack marching at speed through those lands... its a little aggravating. They manage to siege all the provinces they need for 100% before I can even start moving north again.

Not the best mechanic, Paradox.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I think I last played this game when The Old Gods was the current DLC. Just what can I expect if I dive in again with all the DLC past that? Is it overwhelming?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Node posted:

I think I last played this game when The Old Gods was the current DLC. Just what can I expect if I dive in again with all the DLC past that? Is it overwhelming?

Get Sons of Abraham, Way of Life, Conclave, and Reapers Due. Game is much deeper and better.

Want to play on the eastern end of the map, also get Rajas of India, Horse Lords and Jade Dragon.

Want to play edge lord secret societies, get Monks and Mystics.

Xwytsau
Jul 29, 2018

Oh god.

They're gonna fuck it up again.

Node posted:

A little. But I would almost suggest waiting on the next xpac, or playing a Muslim/Indian. Things are about to change a whole lot more for basically everyone.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Didn't they say that they were going to rework gavelkind with the update? I remember something about the ability to challenge your sibling to a fight to the death for their inheritance. Another reason to wait for the patch.

I wonder if Nestorians and Miaphysites will get some kind of boost. They're the most boring religions in the game right now.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 11, 2018

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Does the AI build forts in foreign territory ever?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
The AI doesn't do a lot of things in this game.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Okay, got it.

What if the only living member of the dynasty is a foreign lord? (Not the case here, just wondering). Does the King inherit?

Go stabbing in his blood line until your landed vassal is the only one set to inherit and find out? or you could land his kids with a barony and see what it does to inheritance. If France has outlawed external inheritance, giving the kid a barony should disqualify him for everything.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chiming in late to say that the Africa changes look great; they're one of the places I occasionally try when not doing Zoroastrian stuff or whatever, but they really didn't have much there.

Speaking of Zoroastrians, do we know any cool things that they're getting in Holy Fury, if anything? Directly or indirectly.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 11, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Moreau posted:

Wait until they're hit by a plague or a famine.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Mantis42 posted:

Wait until they're hit by a plague or a famine.

I think civil wars also keep their armies home.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Moreau posted:

The only way I've ever defeated them or conquered China was to own everything east of Constantinople, let them siege it all down so that they took losses from siege events, and then park my entire army in Constantinople and wait for them to try and push the crossing.

and then blow 25k on mercenaries to replace my army for when they send more troops to do it again

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Ok, getting back into a game and did an ireland run. I have empired' and control Ireland, Scotland, Whales, and Brittiania by a sudden unplanned inheritance. Primogenture etc. It seems like no matter who stab I cant seem to pass Scotland on to my firstborne. So every succession I have to go to war and get Scotland back. Now it shows my secondborn son as the inheritor of Scotland. Why would my secondborn get it over my firstborn? What am I missing here. 3 times now I have had to war Scotland and inherit a bunch of assholes vassals who hate me

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 12, 2018

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

double check scotlands inheritance laws I guess

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Willfrey posted:

Ok, getting back into a game and did an ireland run. I have empired' and control Ireland, Scotland, Whales, and Brittiania by a sudden unplanned inheritance. Primogenture etc. It seems like no matter who stab I cant seem to pass Scotland on to my firstborne. So every succession I have to go to war and get Scotland back. Now it shows my secondborn son as the inheritor of Scotland. Why would my secondborn get it over my firstborn? What am I missing here.

You need to change laws per kingdom. go to the laws tab, click scotland's flag, they're probably still gavelkind

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

You need to change laws per kingdom. go to the laws tab, click scotland's flag, they're probably still gavelkind

God never knew that was a thing

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Willfrey posted:

God never knew that was a thing

It's pretty annoying, mostly because it's easy to forget. If you create a kingdom or empire title it will inherit the succession and crown laws of your primary title but if you usurp or inherit the title it will keep the laws it had.

Unrelated, but I was playing Venice and I won a crusade while I was just a patrician which made me feudal. Is there any way for me to become a merchant republic again?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

You build silk road trade posts just like you would build a city or castle right? I know only some provinces can do it, but I have a large stretch of the road and apparently none of them can.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Eltoasto posted:

You build silk road trade posts just like you would build a city or castle right? I know only some provinces can do it, but I have a large stretch of the road and apparently none of them can.

You can only build trade posts on special nodes indicated by the money sack icon. If you have a county on the silk road but not at one of the nodes, it just benefits from a small tax income modifier.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I just noticed that there's a bug with Muslim devil-worshippers. When you get the mission to sacrifice a holy person, it tells you that you should sacrifice an "imam or an ascetic" to complete the mission, but it doesn't work. I must have kidnapped and sacrificed 5 different people including my own court imam and some mosque holders and nothing worked. Turns out it only works if you sacrifice a non-Muslim. If you imprison an imam, he stops being an imam all of a sudden and then it doesn't count toward the mission. So I wasted loads of my dark magic points on that bullshit until I killed some Catholic bishop. I looked that up and it seems to be an old bug since I found old posts from 2017 about it. I hope they fix that in the new DLC.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Azhais posted:

Didn't pay attention to this, so when I croaked, sis inherited half the world because the other half was set to agnatic :(

Lucky Guy fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 12, 2018

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lucky Guy posted:

Didn't pay attention to this, so when I croaked, sis inherited half the world because the other half was set to agnatic :(

I’m gonna hurl.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Gerbert "the Good" of Gelre took me carousing so many times that I could reliable cure stressed/depressed with him, but now he's dead, and I took that option that makes me his heir's godfather. I was excited to take care of a child as a story arc, but it turns out I just asked a 20-yo Attractive Gay Duke if I could be his real dad.

He said no, and this is my response I guess?

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Just as an 'update' on China, I waited until there was unrest in China, and the Western Protectorate was engaged in a war to my south. When I declared, the Chinese doomstack appeared in Bengal as always, but this time it moved West towards the war that the Western Protectorate was engaged in. So I was able to battle them across the fertile lands of Orissa, and fared pretty well without the attrition of Tibet.

Moving towards Jianqing, I started sieging the single province I needed, and managed to make it to 80% warscore... when the Mongols appeared. The Western Protectorate had eaten up everything north of the Empire of Tibet, so the Mongols appeared in their lands, and essentially started assisting me in defeating the Chinese. Sadly, another Chinese doomstack appeared, kicked the crap out of the Mongols and then turned on me. At this point, I probably could have started closing the game via the task bar to replay the period over and over until I get it right, but... eh. I'll just start over and focus on getting Khotan quickly.

I wonder if the achievement can be made if I switch the Jade Dragon DLC off?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lucky Guy posted:

I got lucky and discovered it losing 2 counties in Scotland. Your picture looks like the HRE in my Venice game. They embargoed me so I assassinated 7 emperors in 16 months til they stopped

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Is there not an alert for when you have succession laws that might lose you stuff?

I mean, I usually ignore it because it seems to give a lot of false positives, but if you're somehow ignorant of what you succession laws are...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lucky Guy posted:

This is violence

• Locked thread