Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The Fuji f2 lenses are unbelievably good. Don’t discount them for being a stop slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

holocaust bloopers posted:

The Fuji f2 lenses are unbelievably good. Don’t discount them for being a stop slower.

B&H has the X-T2 with the 35/2 for $1500, same as the X-T2 with 18-55. Guess I have 7 hours (until they reopen for orders) to mull it over

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Can’t go wrong either way but I would heavily lean towards the 35 f2.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

curried lamb of God posted:

B&H has the X-T2 with the 35/2 for $1500, same as the X-T2 with 18-55. Guess I have 7 hours (until they reopen for orders) to mull it over
You can pretty reliably get the 35/2 for ~300 used on ebay FWIW.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I sold my used XF 35/1.4 for 380 on ebay. AF is not slow on new Fuji bodies.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

melon cat posted:

So I've got to ask then- what are Sony's requirements for being considered a "professional"? Because given the Sony tax that I've been paying for all of my gear (FS5, a6500, Zeiss 55mm, Zeiss 24mm) I expected some degree of decent service (LOL), but we all know how that turned out.

Edit: Just checked out the Pro Support website and you have to apply for Pro Support? Like... huh.

The Pro Support services for various companies usually have levels that you have to apply for (they want to keep out riffraff I guess). I got it because I had two full-frame A-mounts and a few G/Zeiss A-mount lenses. I could probably stand to discontinue it because I'm generating less of my money from photography these days but it's a drop in the bucket for the benefits.

It's not a hard wall to get through, though. Just show that you generate revenue in some way (portfolio, business site, whatever), have the gear, and pay the $100 yearly fee and you're in the clear. Unfortunately, APS-C stills cameras don't count (though I think the a77ii and the a6500 should).

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Are you getting it for stills? Do you need the features the 2 has over the 20?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

I've been super happy with the 35/2.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I actually just posted a like new 35mm f2 in the buy/sell thread if anyone's still looking.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Having a total fuji lens paralysis by analysis moment. After having my first few lenses stolen from my luggage, I didn't do much for a few months. I borrowed a 35mm 1.4 a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it on my X-E2S. The reality is that I have no idea how to spend my photography money and the options are wide open since the only thing I actually own right now is a used X-E2S body that I got off ebay. Certainly a lens or two seems like the right choice over a body (the X-T2 at 1100 is so tempting though), but I can't seem to commit to which primes or zoom.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

cheese posted:

Having a total fuji lens paralysis by analysis moment. After having my first few lenses stolen from my luggage, I didn't do much for a few months. I borrowed a 35mm 1.4 a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it on my X-E2S. The reality is that I have no idea how to spend my photography money and the options are wide open since the only thing I actually own right now is a used X-E2S body that I got off ebay. Certainly a lens or two seems like the right choice over a body (the X-T2 at 1100 is so tempting though), but I can't seem to commit to which primes or zoom.

Buy a 35mm and shoot with just that for a month or two. Make a note of everytime you go "gently caress, if only I had a wider/longer lens" then buy which ever you wished for the most.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

8th-snype posted:

Buy a 35mm and shoot with just that for a month or two. Make a note of everytime you go "gently caress, if only I had a wider/longer lens" then buy which ever you wished for the most.

This is essentially what happened to me with my X100f for the last year.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Trevor Hale posted:

This is essentially what happened to me with my X100f for the last year.

28/35/50 is so good

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Alternatively, get the 16mm 1.4 and never look back.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I have the 16mm and the x100f, looking back is not an option.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

holocaust bloopers posted:

Alternatively, get the 16mm 1.4 and never look back.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Well I found an excellent deal on a Fuji 16-55 2.8 and I traded in my 18-55 2.8-4 for a pretty nice discount. It should arrive some time this week and i'll report back on my thoughts.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I decided against getting the X-T2 (for now) since I'm moving back to the US soon and should probably spend on other, more important expenses. I might get one in a year or so if the used prices drop down to $500-600, like the X-T1 right now.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

I decided against getting the X-T2 (for now) since I'm moving back to the US soon and should probably spend on other, more important expenses. I might get one in a year or so if the used prices drop down to $500-600, like the X-T1 right now.

Gray market XT1 dropped to 700 before XT2 came out. Just be a little patient.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Alternately, XT-20 is 90% of the cam for a 40% discount.

Heck, if you’re military I’ve seen the 20 go for $799, no tax with both XC kit lenses included.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Nah, I'm just an embassy contractor, so I don't get any sweet PX deals.

I'll have to handle the X-T20 when I get back, but I figured I should get a higher-end body since I already have the E-M5 II

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

I'll have to handle the X-T20 when I get back, but I figured I should get a higher-end body since I already have the E-M5 II

The 20 is not a low end camera at all. it's literally 95% of an xt2 where that 5% is mostly extra video features. the sensor and image output are identical. the main advantages of the 2 over the 20 are the battery grip if you really need uninterupted battery life (you probably don't if you don't care about video) and i beleive it has a slightly larger viewfinder. the viewfinder on the 20 is not small. if the 20 is too small physically, you can get an aftermarket grip or the official one and still be well ahead on buyinng an xt2. I have very big hands and I'm fine with a naked 20, I just grab it buy the lens when I'm not actively taking a photo.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 6, 2018

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
XT-20 is also a second-class citizen when it comes to firmware.

This late in the the firmware development cycle it doesn't really matter, but how they handled XT-20 firmware updates (compared to the X-T2, and heck even the X-E3) will likely stop me from buying an XT-30, or whatever when that arrives.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I ended up springing for the X-T2 and it's great, but I sometimes think about how I could've saved some money by going for different body. The X-T20 looks really nice, imo. But it is tiny and the viewfinder, while excellent for what it is, just can't compete with the huge and immersive experience of the X-T2's. After playing with it in the store, I found that I preferred the X-E3 to the T20. I didn't like the design changes that occurred in the transition from the E2/S to the E3, but it's still nice-looking. More importantly to me it seemed more like a purpose-built camera for its specification than the T20, which seemed more like a stripped-down T2 in comparison... even though the T20 and E3 share essentially the same guts. Like, the viewfinder is smaller than the T2's, but you don't have the added indignity of having to mash your nose against the rear screen to use it (if you can use your right eye). The focus joystick is a nice holdover from the XPro2. The fixed rear screen gives it a more solid and durable feel, and seems like a better fit than a flippy touchscreen for a camera that -like the T20- doesn't have top-end video specs. All that, and the f/2 primes mesh better with it aesthetically than they do with the "SLR-like" T-series cameras.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

bobfather posted:

XT-20 is also a second-class citizen when it comes to firmware.

This late in the the firmware development cycle it doesn't really matter, but how they handled XT-20 firmware updates (compared to the X-T2, and heck even the X-E3) will likely stop me from buying an XT-30, or whatever when that arrives.

calling it a second class citizen is very dramatic. ofc the xt2 got stuff first or exclusively, they had to give some reason to consider it over the 20, its supposed to be the flagship. on release it was just a big 20.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

The 12-100 is insane. Got a tack sharp handheld 2 second exposure yesterday.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wengy posted:

The 12-100 is insane. Got a tack sharp handheld 2 second exposure yesterday.

hell yeah that's awesome.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Still not sure if I should add a 40-150 to my 12-40 or just go 12-100. I’m sure it’s a well known dilemma but I’d be interested to hear how you (and others) have come to a conclusion. All of them seem great, so I guess you can’t go too wrong either way.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Xabi posted:

Still not sure if I should add a 40-150 to my 12-40 or just go 12-100. I’m sure it’s a well known dilemma but I’d be interested to hear how you (and others) have come to a conclusion. All of them seem great, so I guess you can’t go too wrong either way.

I have the 12-40, 40-150, and 25mm f/1.2.

Honestly since I got the 25mm I have almost never touched the 12-40, and that's honestly a very good lens.

Now that being said, I'm almost always shooting on the longer end. I love the poo poo out of the 40-150mm. I've beaten it all to hell and it just keeps going. They've been around long enough that you should be able to find plenty of used/refurb ones.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Olympus lenses are really good but drat they are big and heavy (aside from the f1.8 line)

Strongly considering the Panaleica 50-200 2.8-4 mainly due to size and weight considerations.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Xabi posted:

The 12-40 is amazing but I don’t miss it. The 12-100 is just that good. The Sync IS more than makes up for the lost stop and anyway, if you want to take pictures of moving subjects the 12-40 isn’t really fast enough either.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

This month long tease of the Nikon full frame mirrorless system is a loving riot. I'm fairly new to digital photography but I can't ever remember a consumer electronics product with this level of marketing build up and hype. They are teasing it like its the first flying car or something, its so hilarious. Especially when so many of the photo big wigs are predicting it to be nothing ground breaking. Most of them seem to fall under "Sony A7 III but either not quite as good or more expensive".

If its "We took the mirror out of a D850" are people going to be pissed?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

If they add actual 4:2:2 4k video i'd ditch m43 for Nikon again

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you can't remember a consumer electronics product with this level of marketing build up and hype I don't think you've really been paying attention. Even if we just limit it to the world of cameras.

edit: I'd also be pretty happy with a new mount, D850 sans mirror that's slightly more compact, has better live view performance. Hopefully they do better than that but I'd buy it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Gotta make friends with those Marine guards.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

cheese posted:

If its "We took the mirror out of a D850" are people going to be pissed?

Considering how good the D850 is? Not at all.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Are the leaked photos correct? The mount is bigger than the F mount? So it's like the opposite of the Fuji mount, its impossible to build APSC bodies for it?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Eh, the F mount is unusually small for a full frame mount since it’s a legacy mount that never got replaced.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

tino posted:

Are the leaked photos correct? The mount is bigger than the F mount? So it's like the opposite of the Fuji mount, its impossible to build APSC bodies for it?
I read somewhere that they might be building the new mount to able to accommodate possible future medium format? Not sure if that would even be possible.

In Fuji news I went ahead and bought a 35mm 1.4 for my X-E2s, its really a great focal length and I will be shooting with it for the next few months to see what other focal lengths I wish I had, as advised by people in this thread. I find myself invariably taking pictures of flowers or bugs so that will probably be something more macro capable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just because the mount is wider doesn't mean you can't put an APS-C sensor behind it, but I do think that Nikon is going to be going straight up full frame on the new mount, at least for now. Since this is the first new mount they've made in a million years they're trying to make it as adaptable as possible I'd think.