Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I could be remembering wrong but I ignored my first freighter and it popped up again while I was hopping between planets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Ash1138 posted:

Wow they nerfed the poo poo out of a bunch of refiner recipes. So long easy chromatic metal and dioxite generation. I think your chlorine fiends are still good though.

Copper still refines 2:1 into chromatic metal for me, didn't notice any other changes to my game so far. Ships are the same, everything else seems so too.

And gently caress me, I didn't know you couldn't rename planets after uploading them as discoveries, that certainly sucks. Wish I could give all these bases systems and planets custom names

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i just ran a cadmium chromatic metal loop on experimental so i dunno

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Bruceski posted:

Freighters being attacked only triggers when jumping into a system, right? I passed up my first one because it was ugly, and after about 40 jumps since I simply haven't seen the event occur again. Want to make sure there's not some easier way to roll for it.

Get a Conflict Scanner in your ship and warp to systems with high levels of conflict, you're more likely to run into pirates/freighter rescues there.

Full disclosure the conflict scanner needs a Walker Brain to craft so you'll need to take down one of the big Sentinel walkers.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

CRAYON posted:

I stopped doing the eggs once I got my freighter and realized I could make 2-4 mil in 5 minutes by doing the missions that give Superconductor, Cryopumps, Accelerant, etc from the mission terminal on the bridge.

Do you need to grind out rank with the guilds/factions to get these good missions? Mine just look like this -

The same rewards I get at the normal mission guy. My guild ranks are all slightly over halfway.

E: woops double post

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Too bad it doesn’t come in black.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

AirRaid posted:

Full disclosure the conflict scanner needs a Walker Brain to craft so you'll need to take down one of the big Sentinel walkers.

Walkers are easy to kill because their attacks are very easy to dodge. They either fire a slow laser which you can hear charging or blanket the area with ineffective mortar fire. Each of these you can boost underneath the walker and just shoot it's chin while it isn't traipsing around. I don't know what effect removing the leg armor is beyond cosmetic but it does take more damage if it loses the body shield.

You can galaxy brain the encounter by building an arena with your terrain manipulator. Can't hit you if you're behind 3 pillars

You can also jump on their heads and shoot their bald spot

A shield upgrade and a couple of gun upgrades and the encounters are impossible to lose unless you want to.

Steve Yun posted:

Too bad it doesn’t come in black.

You could always use a save/ship editor, yeah? Why let your dreams be etc

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
On PS4?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
I have legit no idea if this is common, but on the second station (Gek) I've ever visited some Vy'keen just handed me a 24-slot S-class rifle.

Also I don't park so good.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Correct, this game is also out for the Playstation 4.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Copper still refines 2:1 into chromatic metal for me, didn't notice any other changes to my game so far. Ships are the same, everything else seems so too.

And gently caress me, I didn't know you couldn't rename planets after uploading them as discoveries, that certainly sucks. Wish I could give all these bases systems and planets custom names

It's even worse if the game suddenly decides to delete all your uploaded names. My ships I can at least rename, but all those weird critters and planets? Gone forever!

But if I have to teleport into a system I named before, the teleport UI still shows my name. So hilariously, apparently the names are still saved somewhere and just don't show up for me? Weird.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

18 Character Limit posted:

I have legit no idea if this is common, but on the second station (Gek) I've ever visited some Vy'keen just handed me a 24-slot S-class rifle.

Also I don't park so good.

Or do you park VERY good?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

John F Bennett posted:

Correct, this game is also out for the Playstation 4.

I was saying it’s on PS4, so presumably no save/ship editor

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I tried the game again today, but I'm still unable to progress the "Alone Amidst the Stars" story mission, on PC.

Uh, any suggestions on how I can fix this? Is there any way to restart the mission or something? I don't have location indicators or anything, it just wants me to use a signal booster to triangulate my location, but the signal booster I put at the spot they told me to isn't working.

Am I missing out on much if I don't do this quest chain? I don't want to restart from scratch, I have like 14 hours on my save slot. I can just go do other things in space, but then this mission will be stuck forever.

Halp

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Time to follow the story a bit!

..a message that was never screenshotted. Oops!

For some reason you can both craft and refine Di-Hydrogen Jelly. Refining is cheaper, but actually really takes a full two minutes, like shown here. I think with the Carbon you use up, you basically only break even when refining, so I suggest crafting

Weird building, flying trilobites. Yes, clearly this is an alien planet

Messing around with ancient lost technology. What could possibly go wrong?

Nothing, it seems! Merry Nadhor only got "find thing" and some coordinates out of the alien uh, thing. Now she is here, in the middle of the night. Wondering what the hell she is doing.

The installation seems to be abandoned, but the bulky alien eggs everywhere aren't exactly a good sign. Merry is not sure if they are eggs, mushrooms or some kind of seed. Well, there's always time for science later! She decides to prioritize the alien building first.

And immediately regrets it. Seriously, what is this stuff?

Is this a natural growth? Some kind of foreign influence?

Nope! Apparently the stuff just shows up if you stop maintaining this kind of machinery! At least this is what Merry's suit AI is claiming. She isn't to sure about that, but makes a mental note. Having a handy reference for how long this kind of installation is abandoned could be useful later.

:stare: OK. And now it's time for Merry Nadhor to step out and deal with the weird eggs, thanks spooky terminal

Which turns out is a very bad idea: As soon as Merry touches one of the eggs, really pissed-off alien monsters spring out of the ground. Their violent attacks start affecting her shield, so she decides to run back inside. Luckily the aliens have a strange aversion to enter the building, so she is safe for the moment.

After a while, the monsters calm down and hide back in the ground. The coast is clear. Merry decides to collect some eggs for testing, now that she knows she is safe inside the alien installation. Some merry chasing later she has a small collection of these things, which pop out of the "eggs". Merry isn't sure if they really are eggs, though. The way the eggs spring open to release their larval cores remind her more of certain types of seeds.

Some testing later she has to concur with her suit AI's description: Those things are bad news. She decides to sell them at the earliest opportunity.

Merry follows the trace of the alien message to another system.

A new type of alien: The "Korvax" seem to prefer to walk around in humanoid bodies, even though they are a highly advanced type of self-aware AI, completely independent from those bodies. Merry is forced to conclude the Korvax must use humanoid bodies due to some cultural reason, as otherwise she would encounter Korvax in non-humanoid forms sometimes. At least this is her working theory for now. :shrug:

After selling the strange alien larvae, she decides to finally seek out the planetary outpost sending out signals. But due to some really dumb navigation mistake, she ends up on this dead world instead, as it was directly in the way of the signal. The first thing she sees after stepping out of her ship is this. As fascinating as they look, they turn out to be just a storage device for navigational data.

Another weird alien thing: Those "fingers" are highly compressed Uranium. Ripe for the taking!

Even though this dead planet makes your life support drain like crazy, it has some eery beauty, if looked at from the right angle.

Another feature of Totenstein13: Monster eggs! For some reason it's the same eggs as the clusters we found earlier. As I didn't want to get jumped on an empty, featureless plain without any possible hideout in sight, I avoided them like the plague.

And then I went back to the space station to sell some stuff and traded in my starting ship for this little thing. Like Totenstein13, "God Hopper" was later hit by the Great Name Eraser Plague of 2018.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

So I assumed repairing my ship would be a huge grind, but I just hopped around the different systems' stations and bought the majority of what I need for like 2 million including technology modules. Then I mined and refined something around 800 chromatic metal, fixed up some more of the cheaper broken slots, decided it was a mind-numbing slog, then a friend logged in and gifted me 1000 chromatic metal, and now I only have something like 8 broken slots to repair left.

Feel pretty good about the ship, but holy poo poo, still something around 2500 chromatic metal left, and I can't find it for sale in any station.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you can get into a green or blue system, gathering that chromatic should be pretty fast.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

If you can get into a green or blue system, gathering that chromatic should be pretty fast.

I'll give that a try, thanks.

Also, the friend that handed me the metal spelunked around in my galaxy, warped into a fleet fight, helped some NPC out and it gave him a massive gently caress-off Titan star destroyer thing or somesuch.
Are there limited spawns in individual games for these things, or are they just randomly generated, and I can get an event like that too? The thing seems to be just a giant, armed-to-the-teeth version of a freighter

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I think I'm at the end of the base building stuff. Science guy just gives me nanites for scan data, weapon guy just offers me a different broke rear end multitool every other day or so, vehicle guy wants to rob people for units, and the farm guy is basically squatting. The overseer wants me to take pictures for him, and the base computer just sends me to a random place now. Did I miss anything else to do?

Also is the Planetary Zoology milestone bugged? There are several planets I've found all the species and uploaded them, but I'm still at rank 0. When I look in Discoveries at the planets I've found all the species on, it says "upload and receive x nanites" still.

Still debating whether I want to finish the Apollo quest stuff. I'm at the "A Leap in the Dark" and it just seems...not worth it.

I guess I should start raiding manufacturing facilities for blueprints, too.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

For planetary zoology you have to go to the icon that shows up next to any completed scan sets and hit that to register them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Since the patch I've repeatedly had frigates come back with a part double-broken. Basically I land on them, they say they have 8 broken parts (damnit) but only 7 waypoints. It remains in a damaged state until I warp to another system, re-summon my fleet, and land on it again, at which point I'm directed to a part I already fixed.

Not the worst bug in the world but it slows down sending them out on repeat missions.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Has anyone ever gotten a frigate mission above 2 stars? I've got good enough ships now to be able to put together a 5-star strike team, so sending them on 2 star missions that pay squat seems like kind of a waste.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Davoren posted:

For planetary zoology you have to go to the icon that shows up next to any completed scan sets and hit that to register them.

JFC I didn't even notice that icon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I have a new fun bug where my ship will launch me a couple thousand feet up in the air whenever I exit it every now and then.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I have a new fun bug where my ship will launch me a couple thousand feet up in the air whenever I exit it every now and then.

It's not just ships. I was doing the egg standing trick and got launched several dozen feet by something.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Is the latest patch out yet or is it still in experimental? I can't seem to download the beta patch on steam.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Oasx posted:

Is the latest patch out yet or is it still in experimental? I can't seem to download the beta patch on steam.

It's out.

On base building, they really need to considering lowering the material costs for a lot of the single pieces (wood/concrete/metal). :colbert: It is ridiculous that a small wall costs the same as a full wall. And that a windowed wall costs the same as a full wall plus the window.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Viperix posted:

I can't do it. I'm done. Every goddamn fleet expedition, at least one ship comes back damaged. Which in and of itself wouldn't be so bad. Except, someone along the way made one of those incomprehensibly bad design decisions to make you manually repair each ship. Seriously. I command a goddamn fleet. There's not a single other person on any of these loving ships that can fix it?

Seriously, stuff like this makes me not want to boot up NMS again. :(

I actually love the fleet/frigate/missions. It should let me repair from a menu instead of landing - running around - blah blah. Like just let me have the mats, dump them in and boom, ship repaired as long as you're in the same system as it (ie. you recall it or warp to it or whatever). Same with those NPCs that give quests, just let me transmit to them and get my reward. Why do I have to personally visit them like some kind of scrub?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Clocks posted:

Seriously, stuff like this makes me not want to boot up NMS again. :(

I actually love the fleet/frigate/missions. It should let me repair from a menu instead of landing - running around - blah blah. Like just let me have the mats, dump them in and boom, ship repaired as long as you're in the same system as it (ie. you recall it or warp to it or whatever). Same with those NPCs that give quests, just let me transmit to them and get my reward. Why do I have to personally visit them like some kind of scrub?

At the very least they need to add a base item you can construct that let's you turn in quests. Make it somewhat expensive, but at least there would be something awesome to work toward that really makes things easier. But yeah the frigate stuff has worried me enough that I haven't even tried to get a freighter yet. Between the bugs and the general complaints with frigate missions, I am worried about it frustrating me away from the game. :(

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Thanks. Seems that the Ghosts in the Machine quest is still broken.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Oasx posted:

Thanks. Seems that the Ghosts in the Machine quest is still broken.

Please be sure to report bugs to their official bug report form. Likewise, they also take feedback. Be as detailed as possible.

https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

They seem to be genuinely listening to these reports as everything in these patches are things people have been specifically reporting. Even the scan speed change, which wasn't a bug, but something people gave a lot of feedback on.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Base building report, dumbass edition:

1. First storage unit built. Some mishap placed it outside on the ground. Apparently wood is not enough for a proper foundation?
2. Deforested nearby woods to create a new wooden hall around the storage unit. Finally got around to placing a teleporter.
3. Finished a lot of little touches like window-plated roofs and two platforms going out to the ocean.

Together with that single wall piece of wood still sitting underwater, my first base is now truly a sight to behold! Also, I have no idea how to upload or rename my base still. Welp, time to explore some red stars next.

(Next wave of screenshots pending.)

Edit:

Isn't it weird how a wall-element with windows needs glass, but a ground-element with windows doesn't? My base is now 50% glass panels, even though I used zero glass in its construction. (Mind you, if you want to look outside, you have to use the many, many doors I placed, because the floor-glass only goes up and down, not sideways. :v: )

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 11, 2018

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Why does each storage container have its own inventory if I make a grid of 10 storage containers I should just have a 50 unit inventory. Why?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Just click the base computer for renaming and uploading!

Also happily, your learn how to grow the mats for glass early on once you hire a farmer.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

uPen posted:

Why does each storage container have its own inventory if I make a grid of 10 storage containers I should just have a 50 unit inventory. Why?

Because NMS that's why. :colbert:

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
Hey all these moneymaking schemes I've seen suggested but I don't recall anyone suggesting the most effective in my experience, which is to stack scanner upgrades on your multitool because they give a massive increase to scan data. S rank scan upgrades honestly seem to be common enough and with them maxed out (4 modules) you get at least 2 million units just for landing on a new planet and making casual scans of plants and animals without even going anywhere.

Finally goons can make tons of cash doing what they do best; taking pictures of phalluses

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I've never figured this out:

If the price of a trade commodity is red, but doesn't have the "you're selling this at a bad price" red credit icon, what the hell does it mean? Because it sure isn't "you can't sell this here for this price" or "there's not enough money here to sell this amount".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So the S grade Boltcaster upgrade is trash. Who the hell wants bouncy bullets that don't do anything?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The_Doctor posted:

So the S grade Boltcaster upgrade is trash. Who the hell wants bouncy bullets that don't do anything?

It's not present on every S-rank module, but you're right that it's trash. Just dismantle it, and keep an eye out for it on future modules, so you don't accidentally pick it up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I wish you could transfer the red/green/blue stardrives over to new ships, it makes me hesitant to buy new ships when it's such a bother.

Also, out of three 1 star freighter missions i have done, one ended up with the ship damaged and the last one ended up with it being destroyed right away. How do you get a new ship to send on missions?