Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Back in 2012, Nintendo decided to launch the Wii U, a console that supposedly existed at some point in time. The thing was sluggish, had no games, had confusing marketing, and came out right before the new wave of consoles, so it flopped pretty hard.

Launched with it, though, was this little oddity called Miiverse. Turns out Nintendo, infamous for how everything they're involved with concerning online play ends up poo poo, accidentally created the one good social media outfit to ever exist. This is primarily due to the fact that only kids used it, so the debate and discourse was much more sophisticated, respectful, and enlightening than something like Twitter, Facebook, or the Something Awful Forums. You could also make goofy simple drawings and post them on there. It was a brilliant way to keep people engaged with the games they played, whether to draw furries making out on Splatoon, or to talk about how much they want to gently caress Samus in Smash Bros.

Eventually, Nintendo realized that moderating and overseeing an entire social network aimed at kids on a dead console was kinda pointless and unnecessary, so they ended up killing it five years later. Fortunately, goon Drastic Actions has archived 17TB worth of posts, something like 300+ million of them over on the site Archiverse, so I figured it'd be fun to post a bunch of random ones because Miiverse has a lot of comedy gold within.

This was one of the first-ever Miiverse posts, and boy, does it not age well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I need to find my posts and save them!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.

lol thanks for the link op

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
They really like to copy each other

Over There fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 11, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

curlys gold fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 11, 2018

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

delete this

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
something sad and wholesome about kids not knowing what 9/11 is. Then again, asking for 9 upvotes and 11 comments is a bit dark.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Putty posted:

delete this

no

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There was a stage in Smash Bros. for the Wii U that was built around Miiverse. People would write messages to support their characters, and, well, some of it was this:

Tomorrow I've got eleven pics to post of people perving over Samus.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
Search keeps timing out for me.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Obsidianheart posted:

Search keeps timing out for me.

Yeah, it happens a lot for me too. Luckily there's still a lot of good stuff from the little I've searched, and sometimes it'll work for a bit before kinda making GBS threads the bed.

Anyway, people really want to bone Samus.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Apparently for Wii Sports U there's specific Miiverse pages for each state.

Including Florida.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm so glad the miiverse got captured like this. The funny thing is youd find these kinds of posts daily with 0 effort. Kids just said all sorts of off the wall poo poo

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

bingo community is pretty chill

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Let's check in on Florida Club.

Let's never check in on Florida Club ever again.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

lol goddamn, this is all hilarious but that one got me

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

somebody post the "I'm only 11 please don't get mad at me" that I saw in a thread like 2 years ago, thanks

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It will never not make me feel old to see things like the post saying "So...explain 9/11 because I wasn't born yet".

Makes total sense and all, it's just..poo poo man

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Are kids these days too incompetent to look up 9/11 on wikipedia? Y'know there's more to the internet than unboxing videos...

back in my day I had to learn about historical tragedies on Encarta CD-ROM

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm sad this thread hasn't taken off... but then I searched and found most of my posts. So many of them were Christian support chat for young people contemplating suicide :(

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Cancer for more cancer?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

vyst posted:

Cancer for more cancer?

The youtube channel doubled as the meme channel..except with mostly actual children. It's hard to remember all the weird trends.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
My favorite thing going back through it was finding people reproducing communities for other things, like taking "Best of Arcade Games - Air Hockey" and turning it into a place to talk about Undertale

Or shovelware games getting Pokemon RP posts minutes after devs post about their game

At the height of the grab, I had eight bots running grabbing stuff off the site, with six on Azure, mostly for the bandwidth needed. It cost me a bunch, but IMO it was worth it. I grabbed the game community pages and posts. Another Archive Team member grabbed the user profile pages, which turned out to be insanely important, since they contained all of the "unlisted" communities Nintendo had, and also had posts that went further back in time than the community pages.

On the last few days of the service, I had all of my computers and bots just crawling every community trying to find new posts as they came in. They were still coming in until the very last minute, and I ended up pointing them on the YouTube community since they seemed to be the most active.

A few people mentioned the site timing out. Putty actually messaged me on Discord about it. Turned out that some of the indexes were corrupt, so they were not being used. So any time you searched based on time or "empathy" (likes), it would do full table scans, which would time out. I've reindexed them and am looking at common issues to see where they can be added.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I want to give a huge "Thank you!" for going through the money and effort to archive these, and not just for the easy humor fodder. There's a lot of fascinating stuff in Miiverse, and it's still a one-of-a-kind social media service that will probably never be replicated.

That said,

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you think I forgot this thread then go gently caress yourself