Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
For as bloated and repetitive as it is, the atmosphere in Mafia 3 is incredible. Lincoln, the PC, also feels big and strong in a way a lot of characters dont; his footsteps are heavy, his animations have a lot of power behind them (including an amazing choke slam...), and even when he's moving stealthily there's a real sense of strength behind it all. He's both really bloody big, but not at all brutish.

I'm a little sad that the racism of the era is only set dressing for a revenge story, though. It seems a little afraid of its own presentation, even if I can understand why the developers didn't push it too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The NPC dialogue on the street has a lot of interesting bits.

"I support their cause, but when they protest like that, they lose my vote" :allears:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SiKboy posted:

I dont know how much its changed since I stopped playing it, but I honestly thought the first 30ish floors were excellent, then the merciless grind for black and red metals started in order to stand a chance. Its one of those free to play games where, if they took out the free to play mechanics and rebalanced it to compensate, I'd cheerfully have bought as an actual game. I did eventually make it to the last "proper" floor (they patched in a post game with higher floors at some point), but wanted to grind more metal for armour before attempting the final boss and just fell away from the game before ever getting enough metal.

As free to play games go, its actually a pretty decent one. I chucked them a couple of quid for death metals not because I needed them but because I figured I'd got enough play time out the game that the developers should get something out of me.

I threw a few bucks at it too since I've gotten a good 15-20 hours of fun out of it, and that's worth something to me. When it becomes a transparent grind that's more frustration than fun then I'll stop playing.

I love the Dons, though. Max Sharp's cutscene made me die a few times because I was laughing too much at how beautifully dumb it was.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Dead by Daylight added playable tutorials since I played last! :toot: They also managed to get full liscencing rights on console too. I remember it being a big issue that Myers wasnt going to be on console, and he'd be replaced by a generic killer with the same powers.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Samuringa posted:

The NPC dialogue on the street has a lot of interesting bits.

"I support their cause, but when they protest like that, they lose my vote" :allears:

Blow up a bunch of criminals near a civilian.

"Witnesses: 1"

"uh...I didn't see nothing."

"Witnesses: 0"

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The cops in Mafia III tend to be rather gleeful that they're going after a black man with a gun.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The first time I ever beat the first boss in PSO (the dragon) I killed it, then its body fell on me and I died. That was really amazing to me at the time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The first time I ever beat the first boss in PSO (the dragon) I killed it, then its body fell on me and I died. That was really amazing to me at the time.

That can still happen in PSO2. Both Vol and Quartz dragons, as well as several other bosses like the Banthers can do damage when they fall on you. I had one quest come to a hilarious end when the dragon I killed fell on top of me and killed me instantly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A bit of neat game design I'm noticing in Mass Effect 3 is what the game does with health stations. Every map is littered with first aid dispenser stations that you can use to give you a unit of medi-gel (read: first aid kit). But what happens if you're at your max number of first aid kits? The station is used up anyway, but you get some experience points. It's not a lot, but with how many first aid stations there are in the game it adds up to a pretty substantial amount of experience over the course of the game. It's a nice reward for playing well, and for encouraging you to take risks and not heal up as much as you could because you'd then sacrifice the experience rewards of the stations.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
DOOM ETERNAL has been announced, and I'm very pleased they're keeping the Slayer's reputation intact. Watch the first minute or so of this video to see what I mean, and notice how everyone reacts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC7HNfm6IfI

It's wonderful, and the exact sort of response that kind of character would provoke in normal people. :allears:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Since playing their Spongebob games and enjoying them I've started playing Heavy Iron Studio's Ratatouille game. It's got some fun levels in the totally optional, and hidden, Dream Levels which are really pretty and use different kinds of fruit as different platforming types. The "Stealth" mechanic sucks, but mostly because it's mindless, but I also dig that all the powerups are just tools that Remy finds in the world, like if he finds a spoon he can fight small enemies or if he finds a ball he can cross hazards like insect swarms. It keeps things interesting. Also they rejiggered the story is weird, but interesting, ways, like Remy having more scenes/levels with his family before partnering with Linguini.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Safeword posted:

DOOM ETERNAL has been announced, and I'm very pleased they're keeping the Slayer's reputation intact. Watch the first minute or so of this video to see what I mean, and notice how everyone reacts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC7HNfm6IfI

It's wonderful, and the exact sort of response that kind of character would provoke in normal people. :allears:

Everything I could notice in that video looks like a direct response to every criticism of Doom(2016).
The heavy cannon formerly known as heavy assault rifle is meatier, the gauss gun replacement isnt OP as gently caress, the plasma gun sounds and looks powerful the way it overcharges enemies and then they fuckin explode with a big ol ZAP, you have a short dash for more mobility, more variety with the subweapons, they perfected the fine red mist of a shotgun kill, theres a lot more enemies about in the area

THE PAIN ELEMENTAL'S TINY WIDDLE STUB ARMS FLAIL ABOUT LIKE IT THINKS ITS RUNNING WHILE ITS FLOATING TOWARDS YOU.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Aug 11, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Everything I could notice in that video looks like a direct response to every criticism of Doom(2016).
The heavy cannon formerly known as heavy assault rifle is meatier, the gauss gun replacement isnt OP as gently caress, the plasma gun sounds and looks powerful the way it overcharges enemies and then they fuckin explode with a big ol ZAP, you have a short dash for more mobility, more variety with the subweapons, they perfected the fine red mist of a shotgun kill, theres a lot more enemies about in the area

THE PAIN ELEMENTAL'S TINY WIDDLE STUB ARMS FLAIL ABOUT LIKE IT THINKS ITS RUNNING WHILE ITS FLOATING TOWARDS YOU.

Still can't play as a woman, yawn.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

You can use the Super Shotgun's spearhook and draw yourself towards an enemy, disengage it, double jump and airdash

Enemies take visual damage

Shoulderflamethrower

Melee attacks that actually stun the large enemies

HELLSWORD

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Cythereal posted:

Excuse me, I think you'll find Doomguy is whatever gender you want them to be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samovar posted:

Excuse me, I think you'll find Doomguy is whatever gender you want them to be.

The Doom-Slayer's gender-identity, sexual, and relationship, preferences, are :murder:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cythereal posted:

How do you know the Slayer isn't a woman? Just because the armor has no boobs and the sounds they make are deep doesn't mean anything. :colbert:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Len posted:

How do you know the Slayer isn't a woman? Just because the armor has no boobs and the sounds they make are deep doesn't mean anything. :colbert:

Well there's also a bit where you walk into a room and someone says "It's him!" But hey everyone's entitled to their headcanon!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Glagha posted:

Well there's also a bit where you walk into a room and someone says "It's him!" But hey everyone's entitled to their headcanon!

Honestly I forgot about that part.

Uh...maybe is a Metroid 1 situation? They just don't know the Slayer is a woman

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Len posted:

Everyone describes Doomguy as... a guy. I'm starting to get really tired of the "This obviously male character might be a woman in your headcanon because you never see their face!" line of defense.

I just don't see a reason to buy a game where your protagonist's gender doesn't matter but all the same you're forced to play a guy. It's 2018 for gently caress's sake.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cythereal posted:

Everyone describes Doomguy as... a guy. I'm starting to get really tired of the "This obviously male character might be a woman in your headcanon because you never see their face!" line of defense.

I just don't see a reason to buy a game where your protagonist's gender doesn't matter but all the same you're forced to play a guy. It's 2018 for gently caress's sake.

Hey I already said I forgot about that.

All I remember storybeat wise was Doom Slayer waking up angry, punching every computer he saw, and literal demons from Hell being scared of the guy.

Edit: but also I didn't realize you were serious that this fps where you never talk and never see yourself isn't going to be worth playing because you can pick a female model. To each their own I guess

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7cZDoKopkc&t=333s

Best new execution.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Watching a Cacodemon swallow a grenade and go :wtc: as its rear end bulged from the detonation was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7cZDoKopkc&t=150s

edit: Is it just me, or do the new traversal mechanics make DOOM:ETERNAL even more like a homical Metroid Prime than the first game?

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Aug 11, 2018

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Cythereal posted:

lol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FFXIV:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Heavy Iron have an interesting balance with Ratatouille - the side missions get quite tricky quite quickly but the main missions aren't too bad, and there are a lot of details, like the surprisingly big Rat Colony that serves as the hub. Each level also has collectibles that improve the colony slightly. :3:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Doom-Slayer's gender-identity, sexual, and relationship, preferences, are :murder:

qft, but if a female model and voice pack helps your murder rampage I’m not gonna judge.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The female Doomguy is Samus Aran, and she probably has the bigger kill count when we consider that all those planets and space stations she blows up usually have things living on them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cleretic posted:

The female Doomguy is Samus Aran, and she probably has the bigger kill count when we consider that all those planets and space stations she blows up usually have things living on them.

Metroid is a girl?!

Is that how he doesn't crush his testicles when going into ball form?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warbird posted:

qft, but if a female model and voice pack helps your murder rampage I'm not gonna judge.

I fully agree, I was just making light in general.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Cythereal posted:

This why you skipped Horizon Zero Dawn too?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Considering how long it took them to make another Metroid game, I think they should just Ryu her and make her Nintendo's crossover character and just have her crash on the Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, Pop Star, etc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nuclear War posted:

This why you skipped Horizon Zero Dawn too?

I hate open world games, which is what I understand HZD to be.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cleretic posted:

Gold medal for Space Pirate genocide

Even has her own moniker and everything: shes 'The Hunter'.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Until Samus provokes Satan into creating audio logs about how screwed he is, there's no contest.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Safeword posted:

Until Samus provokes Satan into creating audio logs about how screwed he is, there's no contest.

Certainly convinced science team (who have vapor for brains) to try and replicate the morph ball
With predictable results.

All the prime games have logs where the space pirates collectively poo poo their pants when they see Samus.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Aug 11, 2018

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Certainly convinced science team (who have vapor for brains) to try and replicate the morph ball

When you go to hell for the first time, you land on the remains of its greatest champion, and Satan utters three words with an amazing level of panic:

"He is here."

:colbert:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, unfortunately being able to choose the gender of your character wouldn’t really work in DOOM Eternal because it isn’t just about anyone, it’s about this one particular lunatic. Kind of like you wouldn’t expect, say, half-life 3 to let you change your character to someone other than Gordon Freeman. It’s weird to think that DOOM has a story, let alone one important enough to actually have an impact on anything, but one of the things I like best about DOOM4 is that it managed to create an actual story which doesn’t feel like the unnecessary tack-on it should by all rights have felt like.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RareAcumen posted:

Considering how long it took them to make another Metroid game, I think they should just Ryu her and make her Nintendo's crossover character and just have her crash on the Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, Pop Star, etc.

Honestly, the only difference between Metroid and Zelda is scale, so that one would work. For a while, I've wanted a Zelda game that ends abruptly when Link sees a spaceship fly overhead and then Hyrule explodes.

Also Samus deserves credit for unequivocally rendering an entire species extinct, by herself. Doomguy is an uncontrolled massacre, but I think I'd be more scared of Samus, because you aren't escaping that one.

EDIT:

All the prime games have logs where the space pirates collectively poo poo their pants when they see Samus.

The best one for that is Prime 2, because you get to see them slowly realize their greatest fear: there's two of them.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Aug 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ariong posted:

Yeah, unfortunately being able to choose the gender of your character wouldn’t really work in DOOM Eternal because it isn’t just about anyone, it’s about this one particular lunatic. Kind of like you wouldn’t expect, say, half-life 3 to let you change your character to someone other than Gordon Freeman. It’s weird to think that DOOM has a story, let alone one important enough to actually have an impact on anything, but one of the things I like best about DOOM4 is that it managed to create an actual story which doesn’t feel like the unnecessary tack-on it should by all rights have felt like.

There is no reason that the Slayer needs to be a guy though, even within the story they created. It definitely won't stop me from playing this game, but the story isn't about, say brotherly relationships, or toxic masculinity, or being a father figure specifically that the character's masculinity is important. Doomguy's characterization is, as said above pretty much :murder: and could easily be gender neutral.

E: I also love the pirate logs about Samus. And basically everything about that trailer for Doom Eternal looks amazing.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Aug 11, 2018