Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does this mean there's hope yet for a riff of "surviving edged weapons"?

Edit: for context, the testimonials and autopsy photos are depressing and awful so they would need to be cut.

Scenes that would stay in the film include Porsche driving assassin whose clothes are lined with all the knives, Canadian doing a traffic stop, and the "ain't gonna die in no ghetto" speech.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Omega Cop is missing 12 minutes and the latest Bridget and Mary Jo film is missing a full half hour. I thought Rifftrax was supposed to have stopped cutting their movies to bits?

Could it be that was just how they got it?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Building on that, could they have bought tv-edits?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

RandomPauI posted:

Does this mean there's hope yet for a riff of "surviving edged weapons"?

Edit: for context, the testimonials and autopsy photos are depressing and awful so they would need to be cut.

Scenes that would stay in the film include Porsche driving assassin whose clothes are lined with all the knives, Canadian doing a traffic stop, and the "ain't gonna die in no ghetto" speech.

As long as they leave in the guy with the medieval sword, that's fine. And the satanic ritual.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching The Dark and man, this homicide detective sure is trying his best to be Clu Gulager.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, they're cutting movies again.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

As long as they leave in the guy with the medieval sword, that's fine. And the satanic ritual.

The surprise meat cleaver to the head was appreciated.

Edit: The film essentially trains cops on what to look out for if they wind up in an 80's slasher flick.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 25, 2018

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Yeah, they're cutting movies again.

I don't really mind this but it makes me sad when somebody who has only seen a cut version of a MST3K or Rifftrax film tells me that a film doesn't make sense and has weird jumps when in fact it really doesn't if you watch it properly.

To be fair though, some films just don't make sense so chop away Rifftrax.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Like when John Saxon just disappears from Mitchell. Because they cut his death in a dune buggy crash.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's dumb and bad for Rifftrax to cut movies except for truly awful poo poo because they aren't bound to a specific time slot like MST3K was.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

It's dumb and bad for Rifftrax to cut movies except for truly awful poo poo because they aren't bound to a specific time slot like MST3K was.

It's dumb and bad if they cut because of the content but I understand if a sacrifice is made in order to maintain comedic flow (and as I said before if the movie doesn't suffer for it anyway), because that's a real thing.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Like when John Saxon just disappears from Mitchell. Because they cut his death in a dune buggy crash.

They only had an edited version of Mitchell to work with in the first place, so they weren't responsible for the awkwardness.

But they did sometimes edit movies, and it's strange to think that they could inadvertently improve them by editing them.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
A Talking Cat has arrived!

Guess I know one thing I'm doing this weekend.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

A Talking Cat has arrived!

Guess I know one thing I'm doing this weekend.
I purchased this within 5 minutes of getting the email saying it was available. I know one thing I'm doing tonight, which is watch overly long establishing shots for a movie with literally 2 locations. Also maybe eat an overcooked steak and drink some awful scotch?

EDIT: Ok not establishing shots, it is repeated shots of outdoor scenery, and this may be my favorite Rifftrax of all time.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 28, 2018

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Please refer to the movie with it’s correct title. A Talking Cat!?!

I’m very much enjoying this riff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A Talking Cat!?! is a new all time classic. We’ve not laughed that hard at a Riffttax in a while now.

The scene where they scan in the clothes with a handheld lamp over and over had me gasping for air.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jesus that was a bad movie

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

The scene where they scan in the clothes with a handheld lamp over and over had me gasping for air.
Twice. TWICE in this riff I had this same reaction. I can't remember the last time I gasped for breath watching anything by myself at home. Also, don't forget to stay for the incredibly long end credits. I just had to go back and edit in "end" credits because I remembered the opening credits are also incredibly long.

And why do I have the song La Cucaracha stuck in my head again!?!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I've got this one cued up for the next time Mr Boods is at home in the evening, to be followed by an episode of 'Family Affair' (which I think is unknown in Britain.) and one of 'Sigmund and the Sea Monsters.'* He did see the preview clip whilst I was buying it, and went 'Oh wow, is that Rodney Dangerfield?!' at the sight of poor Johnny Whitacker...

Meanwhile, Amazon Prime (UK) has put a lot of free Rifftrax back up.

ETA -- Christ, Johnny Whitaker is only 58?! He's only five years older than I am -- holy cow. Although looking at his wikipedia page, he's had a hell of a ride and came close to ending up like his co-star. Looks like he's put all that behind him now, so more power to him, even if he ended up in this silly movie :unsmith:

*Any Sid and Marty Krofft would be excellent revenge for some of the bonkers stuff from his childhood he's made me watch.

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 28, 2018

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Am I the only person that didn't realize that the girl coming over for tutoring was not the caterer's daughter? I had a real Morty's Mind Blowers when the two of them appeared on the screen at the same time near the end. drat white girls all look the same to me.

I would have said she had an unnatural affinity for swimming pools, but everyone seemed to have a hardon for swimming pools. I guess they are pretty rare in Cali-maui-eattle.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnBry posted:

Am I the only person that didn't realize that the girl coming over for tutoring was not the caterer's daughter? I had a real Morty's Mind Blowers when the two of them appeared on the screen at the same time near the end.

It didn't take me until they were on screen together to figure out they weren't the same person but it took me longer than it should have.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Ms Boods posted:

ETA -- Christ, Johnny Whitaker is only 58?! He's only five years older than I am -- holy cow. Although looking at his wikipedia page, he's had a hell of a ride and came close to ending up like his co-star. Looks like he's put all that behind him now, so more power to him, even if he ended up in this silly movie :unsmith:

He looks like if Rodney Dangerfield and Peter Griffin got in a Star Trek transporter accident a la Tuvix.

Holy poo poo that was one of the best ones they've done in a while. Also, thanks to mcmansionhell.com, we got a lot of additional laughs out of tearing apart that hideous house.

Also, David DeCoteau is the one who made this poo poo? No wonder I was inexplicably reminded of The Killer Eye.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 29, 2018

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Best laugh we had of the evening: Bill Corbett's cry of despair when the film appeared to be over, and we got yet another establishing shot of the ocean.

Mr Boods kept commenting on Johnny Whitacker's 'terrible ginger wig'. I showed him an episode of Sigmund and the Seamonsters afterwards so he could see Johnny's barnet in all its youthful glory. (Well, part of an episode -- I'd had enough after the opening credits, but he wanted to see the whole thing because whoever uploaded it included the commercials -- he finds American adverts fascinating, especially from the mid-70s.)

Such a strange, strange film - there was way more chemistry between the brother twin and the low-rent Jake Gyllenhaal -- it would have been a neat plot twist to see those two happily get together, rather than Jake G and the vapid girl who only liked him because he had a swimming pool.

It makes me happy that the movie-poster has made the cat look like Eric Roberts

The alternate cheesepuffs/establishing shot drinking game is to spy all of the ways they got the cat to hit its marks on camera -- e.g. random cat kibble strewn on the floor of two homes which do not already own a cat; use of very visible laser pointers, &c.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah, props to the cat for putting up with all that production poo poo. :catstare:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

That movie is really one of the most perfect RiffTrax targets I've ever seen. I feel like there's three stages of batshit to it. It starts off as a stupid, cheap movie and you get used to the dumbness while gradually accepting the stupidity of Eric Roberts' terrible voice-over. Then about 2/5 into the movie, the cat starts actually talking and we're in a different tier of WTF. By the time you get used to THAT and the movie normalizes again (and Ms Boods is right, that bit with the two boys sort of works in comparison to the rest of the movie), we get the part where the cat gets hit by a car and things go completely off the rails.

It reminds me a lot of those SNL skits where Kyle Mooney and Beck Bennnett would do low-energy parodies of 90's sitcoms and there would be a bunch of nonsensical establishing shots in-between scenes.

Me and my fiancee watched the movie last night. Today, we were at a birthday party and somebody offered us cheese puffs. We looked at each other like when somebody in a movie realizes, oh no, it wasn't all a dream.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize Rifftrax covered a Moody film. I'd been waiting for them to do so. Those are educational films that put the Christ back into Science. Just don't ask where h, r, and t went.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

muscles like this! posted:

I think it is worth watching just for the insane costuming for what was considered "cool" in the early 90s.

By the time that movie was made, Vanilla Ice was the butt of many a joke, causing Universal to cancel its theatrical release, losing a ton of money and ending Vanilla Ice’s career almost entirely. Nothing about it was even close to cool.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Is it just me, or Rifftrax Android app is down? I can't see anything under Catalog or My Library. Tried logging out, and now I cannot log back in.

e: Downloads work, which makes sense; it's probably a network issue.

ee: literally 6 minutes later their support responded with "This is a known issue - our server that provides the app services is currently down.". Oh well...

eee: .... and it's back! whew

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 11, 2018

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
In reference to MST3K/Rifftrax/CT editing movies: I am re-watching Cinematic Titanic and they left in the racist comments in East Meets Watts. Of course, it was probably just so they could do a five person spit take.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I decided to rewatch the first Rifftrax Live and, man, the extra stuff sure isn't missed. Random people in the audience lovingly singing along to Jonathan Coulton is still cringeworthy as hell.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gavok posted:

I decided to rewatch the first Rifftrax Live and, man, the extra stuff sure isn't missed. Random people in the audience lovingly singing along to Jonathan Coulton is still cringeworthy as hell.

If that was the first one I went to, I probably wouldn't have gone to any other ones. Luckily that wasn't playing in my area, and I instead started at the second one. I've stopped going to them though as my wife doesn't enjoy MST3k or Rifftrax (but went to a couple of them when we first started dating but was too polite to say anything). Now I'll just buy them on demand, since I did that with all the live shows I did see in theaters anyways.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Same, I generally skip the airing and watch the on demand version, unless it the mp3 version then I generally never want to actually own that movie so I don't even bother. I only went to two live show in theater, the original and the Doctor Who one last year. Went to the later since I was in Disney World at the time and wanted to watch a movie after a day at the park. It was a pretty big crowd too, and it was a blast to watch. Shame the riff and short are still not available, even as a mp3 version.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I watched the first live and even if I enjoyed some bits Im glad they cut most of that out now.

Going to krull alone for the same reasons as IUG

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Space Mutiny Live is now available.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Cheespuffs .

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

admataY posted:

Cheespuffs .

Next month me and my fiancée are hosting a bad movie marathon party. First one we did was The Room, Birdemic, Samurai Cop and Miami Connection. This one will be Snowman, Book of Henry, A Talking Cat!?! and Raw Force. The one thing that we know is absolutely on the menu is cheese puffs. So many cheese puffs.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
you know , For all the raised brows about Eric Roberts casting in the role of " cat " I can absolutely buy him as someone whos asleep for 20 hours of the day and lick his balls in the remaining 4 .

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

admataY posted:

you know , For all the raised brows about Eric Roberts casting in the role of " cat " I can absolutely buy him as someone whos asleep for 20 hours of the day and lick his balls in the remaining 4 .

Dude basically just does acting as a hobby to pay charities

He can lick his balls as long as he likes

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Ice Cream Man is out, just grabbed it. Trailer looks amazing, can't wait to watch it tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoV7Z0IFMho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

X-O posted:

The Ice Cream Man is out, just grabbed it. Trailer looks amazing, can't wait to watch it tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoV7Z0IFMho

lol I have actually watched this before. Can't wait to see the guys riff this.