Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

COOL CORN posted:

tl;dr- buy all the Der Weltkrieg games, it's the best WW1 system

Thats a funny way to spell Paths of Glory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I’m down for a roads and boats style logistics wargame that uses drawn overlays.

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Is anyone of aware of some good resources for wargame "tactics", so to speak?

Up till now I've been playing games that are more abstracted or at a high level, like Cataclysm, Triumph and Tragedy, or Asia/Europe Engulfed. Or Empire of the Sun that's more air/naval and the territory is fairly restricted as far as land units go. And solo games as well.

So, for something like Ardennes '44: I know historically what happened and the two sides are trying to improve on that in the game. But when looking at the board, is there an analogy to something like chess tactics where you can generically look at the state: things like terrain, combat factors, positioning and other things to decide what the best moves are, prep for a coming move, or prevent incoming trouble? That would typically apply to any hex and counter war game, in general? Is there a "baby's first wargame" that would help?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

going from Unconditional Surrender! to Armistice! is an underappreciated naming convention

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Rockker posted:

Is anyone of aware of some good resources for wargame "tactics", so to speak?

Up till now I've been playing games that are more abstracted or at a high level, like Cataclysm, Triumph and Tragedy, or Asia/Europe Engulfed. Or Empire of the Sun that's more air/naval and the territory is fairly restricted as far as land units go. And solo games as well.

So, for something like Ardennes '44: I know historically what happened and the two sides are trying to improve on that in the game. But when looking at the board, is there an analogy to something like chess tactics where you can generically look at the state: things like terrain, combat factors, positioning and other things to decide what the best moves are, prep for a coming move, or prevent incoming trouble? That would typically apply to any hex and counter war game, in general? Is there a "baby's first wargame" that would help?

If you want to get into old Avalon Hill wargames, you can read all of The General online and absorb some of the strategy articles:

http://www.vftt.co.uk/ah_mags.asp?ProdID=PDF_Gen

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
GMT has strategy articles from time to time on their website as well, ex: http://www.insidegmt.com/?p=20881

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Thanks, I'll give those a read.

Rockker fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 2, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey I’m on vacation in Quebec City and I found a pretty good condition copy of Rise and Decline of the Third Reich. Is it any good? I picked it up on impulse and everything is intact/untouched.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

Hey I’m on vacation in Quebec City and I found a pretty good condition copy of Rise and Decline of the Third Reich. Is it any good? I picked it up on impulse and everything is intact/untouched.

I know nothing about the game itself, but Roberto Bolaño wrote a novel about a dude who is a "champion" player of it. It's currently on my to-read list.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It’s a solid game, but dated. If you google The General magazine PDFs, you can read about 100 strategy articles on it. It was remade into GMT’s A World At War.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Taintrunner posted:

It’s good, though more in a “it’s a classic” sense. Despite the age that it shows, there’s still a fairly active online community.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Taintrunner posted:

Its bad, you should drive west on the highway for about 5 hours and drop it off at my house, thanks.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Taintrunner posted:

Is the mapboard mounted or paper? Mounted it's first edition, paper it's the second edition. Either way a fun game that is easy to learn and teach.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Is the mapboard mounted or paper? Mounted it's first edition, paper it's the second edition. Either way a fun game that is easy to learn and teach.

Incorrect, it's always been mounted. Second edition has updated counters, third edition has some map changes, fourth edition says "Third Edition" on the box but has fourth edition rules.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Thanks for correcting me, I thought there was just Decline... and Advanced. I went and looked at my copy of Decline and it IS apparently the third edition.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Good: finally getting a grail game

Bad: cataloguing 5+ sheets of counters to make sure everything’s there

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Good: finally getting a grail game

Bad: cataloguing 5+ sheets of counters to make sure everything’s there

I'm curious about whether it plays much different from GBOA.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Cataclysm is back in stock at Cardhaus

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CaptainRightful posted:

I'm curious about whether it plays much different from GBOA.

As far as I can tell all the base rules are the same, but there are additional rules for tribunes, consuls, legions, etc. There’s a loving ton in this box though. 14 scenarios!

ITS COMPLETE. and the guy even included errata counters too! Whew, my back hurts.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
holy poo poo are those all loose counters you put back in order on their sheets like a puzzle?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

holy poo poo are those all loose counters you put back in order on their sheets like a puzzle?

...yes.

I wanted to see if anything was missing

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Now that I've moved into a house, I have a large room I can use just for music and gaming. I'd like to build a cheap yet sufficient wargaming table topper for a slightly too small table (36" x 60"). I have 2 questions for those who have built such things:

1. 48" x 72" seems about right. Maybe 84" long? Confirm/deny?

2. I'll probably just do thick plywood on the bottom and plexi on top, but what surface material should I use in between? Felt? Neoprene?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

CaptainRightful posted:

Now that I've moved into a house, I have a large room I can use just for music and gaming. I'd like to build a cheap yet sufficient wargaming table topper for a slightly too small table (36" x 60"). I have 2 questions for those who have built such things:

1. 48" x 72" seems about right. Maybe 84" long? Confirm/deny?

2. I'll probably just do thick plywood on the bottom and plexi on top, but what surface material should I use in between? Felt? Neoprene?

Have a look at Ikea if there is one close to you. They have a number of different configurable table top sizes and types of material that you may be able to put together to suite your needs. I've been thinking about getting some butchers block from there and seeing if i could setup a nice table for this very reason.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Pavlovs house arrived today and I just wanna say gently caress all the people who thought their selfies would fit into this game.

There was a pledge level where you could be on a counter and so now there are like 4x more counters than you need and people sent in all these grinning selfies and ugh just ugh. I know i can ignore them but the waste shits me

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I love Facebook wargamers so much

Sleekly posted:

Pavlovs house arrived today and I just wanna say gently caress all the people who thought their selfies would fit into this game.

There was a pledge level where you could be on a counter and so now there are like 4x more counters than you need and people sent in all these grinning selfies and ugh just ugh. I know i can ignore them but the waste shits me

Dan Verssen bloating his games via a cashgrabbing Kickstarter??? Well I never!!! :monocle:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
my dude, you bought a DVG game; what did you expect?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
“I know I can ignore them” is basically my DVG mantra so at least he’s learning.

It’s a shame, Pavlov’s House got good buzz before Dan bought it

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I'm hopeful it'll still be fun. Digesting the rules now.
In TAL people got their names on the box which is still silly but at least you don't have some lady with impeccable hair serving a gun. Or the dude with the baby on his lap lol

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 7, 2018

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm playing (and teaching) A Distant Plain for the first time tomorrow. Any advice? We're aiming for no more than five hours including explanation-- would the medium-length scenario be best?

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
I noticed my LGS has Combat Commander battle pack 1 and 2 available at the moment. How good are the battle packs?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Krazyface posted:

I'm playing (and teaching) A Distant Plain for the first time tomorrow. Any advice? We're aiming for no more than five hours including explanation-- would the medium-length scenario be best?
Are you and the group just new to ADP or are you new to all COINs? If the latter, you won’t complete the medium scenario in 5 hours, go for the short one.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Eh, three of us have played Cuba Libre a couple times.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Krazyface posted:

Eh, three of us have played Cuba Libre a couple times.
It’ll still take long (bar someone winning before the end). You might be able to do it if people play fast though.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Chazani posted:

I noticed my LGS has Combat Commander battle pack 1 and 2 available at the moment. How good are the battle packs?

Paratroopers is just scenarios, but Stalingrad is the best content in the series. Not to say paras is bad, but it doesn't have any special rules or new counters.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a little inspired by Grey's new LP: is there an ASL scenario with a clearly identifiable breakdown across platoons? I guess technically all of them should be if you checked closely enough?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm a little inspired by Grey's new LP: is there an ASL scenario with a clearly identifiable breakdown across platoons? I guess technically all of them should be if you checked closely enough?

Identifiable in what way?

Edit:

Every scenario has the below info on its sheet

In VASSAL, you can label stuff to make it easier to figure out who is what and where.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 10, 2018

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

gradenko_2000 posted:

Generally, games like ASL have generic units to be as modular as possible.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just gave Longstreet Attacks! a try. Never played that particular chit pull system before.

I liked the events and stuff, the map is gorgeous, and I'm just not convinced hex and counter can ever be as good as simmons games or sekigahara.

Maybe I just like gamey wargames more than simulation wargames, if that makes sense.

For a bit more content, we played the round tops scenario, I was Union and my opponent Confederate. He started by completely wiping out my non-Vincent troops without me really getting to do anything about it, then I waited for him to come attack me on little round top, I repulsed him a bit, and we had to call it after four turns with him having just barely pushed me off the top.

It's just hard for me to figure out how to use hex n counter to do anything, I just wish it was easier for me to figure out how to actually form a line, or attack, or defend, or anything, in any of these systems that aren't NT, GoG, Sekigahara. :sigh:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

silvergoose posted:

Just gave Longstreet Attacks! a try. Never played that particular chit pull system before.

I liked the events and stuff, the map is gorgeous, and I'm just not convinced hex and counter can ever be as good as simmons games or sekigahara.

Maybe I just like gamey wargames more than simulation wargames, if that makes sense.

For a bit more content, we played the round tops scenario, I was Union and my opponent Confederate. He started by completely wiping out my non-Vincent troops without me really getting to do anything about it, then I waited for him to come attack me on little round top, I repulsed him a bit, and we had to call it after four turns with him having just barely pushed me off the top.

It's just hard for me to figure out how to use hex n counter to do anything, I just wish it was easier for me to figure out how to actually form a line, or attack, or defend, or anything, in any of these systems that aren't NT, GoG, Sekigahara. :sigh:

H&C games encompass a lot of different games with different subtleties. They can end up being very different just with ZOC rules and how supply works, etc, much less activations and all. For example, in the Roads games you must form a continuous line of divisions because there is no ZOC effect on movement, whereas with the '44 series of games, ZOC bonds are strong enough that you literally cannot cross a one-hex gap between two units. Many games sit in between- this is a good way to determine how important it is to set up a line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
One of my favorite times of the weekend: sitting with my morning coffee, making my moves in various ongoing games of Titan. If I could only take one game with me on a deserted island, Titan would be it.