Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
That Wily's great, but Protoman's got a Pokeball for his chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Those designs are loving rad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Schwarzwald posted:

Those designs are loving rad.

Agree. Wily looks like Ocelot.:ocelot:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Motto posted:

Capcom made a bunch of cool new designs then put them in a pachinko to own me again like with xover

https://twitter.com/Protodude/status/1027596415613259778?s=19

https://twitter.com/Vhyper1985/status/1027602405121245184?s=19

Are you sure that's not just C. Viper?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
https://twitter.com/entaraina/status/1027371467892121600

Megaman and Roll's pachinko design. Hard to tell how tall he is in the screenshot, but Megaman looks like a short X. That twitter account is the source of the images, they're posting extra pics as I type.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That Mega Man looks like a good version of the new cartoon one.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
dammit capcom quit making lovely redesigns and make megaman x9 you cowardly fuckers

megaman 11 looks pretty good so build on that

WHY DOES PACHINKOWILY HAVE BANGS CAPCOM

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES THIS INSTANT

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Star Man posted:

Are you sure that's not just C. Viper?

Look, in this timeline Dr. Lights PhD is in Applied Fisticuffs and thats why megaman can trounce all of Wily’s creations

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

That whole "ethics testing" bit is a real weird part of X's backstory.

Dr. Light wanted a robot that could think for itself, but only if it could think the right thoughts. hosed up if you ask me.

Maybe that testing is the reploid equivalent for an upbringing? Reploids aren't born as babies after all, and Command Mission confirms in its intro stage that new reploids spend an indeterminated amount of time in a capsule before they're "born".

Which brings me to a different point: who chooses when to create a new reploid and its specifications? In the classic timeline robots are still tools created for a specific purpose, but reploids are supposed to be their own person with a free will, and we know there are ethical laws in play (like the "don't resurrect reploids" from Metal Shark Player backstory) so what's up with that?

Those pachinko designs are rad as gently caress, by the way.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Reploids are generated at a random frequency by a Markov chain.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It seems from bios and stuff, that while each Reploid is unique in it's DNA Soul, humanoid reploids are largely general purpose and can usually preform any role. But as with all people, their talents, specialties and personality depend on the Reploid and are largely uncontrolled. Animal based Reploids seemed to have been created with a specific role in mind. However as they still have free will and unique personalities they will some times go into other fields.

Blizzard Buffalo for example was originally a maintenance reploid at a Ski Resort, but became an artist instead focusing on Ice Sculptures eventually.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's a maverick hunter RPG that occasionally runs on /tg/ which mostly manages the difficult task of trying to force the setting to make sense.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Maverick%20Hunter%20Quest

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Agree. Wily looks like Ocelot.:ocelot:

It's pretty good.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Finally got all of the X5 achievements. I still like this game, but:

Megaman X5: SHUT THE gently caress UP, ALIA Gaiden.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Andrigaar posted:

Finally got all of the X5 achievements. I still like this game, but:

How the gently caress did you get the cannon to fire? I literally spent an hour trying with no success.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

How the gently caress did you get the cannon to fire? I literally spent an hour trying with no success.

Luck as far as I can tell, another tactic is to keep reloading your save if it fails and eventually the RNG should allow you to succeed. If anyone knows a definite way then I'd love to hear it as I'm pretty sure I've only been successful with the cannon once (even with all the parts attached). The shuttle seems to almost always work as long as you've got all 4 parts though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 10, 2018

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Jose Oquendo posted:

Found a video on Youtube that detailed a working method.

1) Kill two bosses, save your game. Apparently it rolls the RNG here.
2) First Dynamo fight
3) DO NOT SAVE
4) Fire cannon. Just fire it right now, it's fine.
5) If destroyed get achievement, else load game and re-fight dynamo.

I think it took me around 5 tries, but it was pretty quick with Black Zero to just spinslash him down with. Longest part might be button mashing all the chatter away.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

When you load your save, the cannon RNG is set to a fixed value that can never succeed. You have to do something else to reroll it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I’ll try it, but from what some people have posted here, that method has no better or worse odds than any other trick in the book.

It’s dumb for a game based on skill and figuring poo poo out to require pure luck to get a reward. They should change it to just requiring the colony to be destroyed by the cannon or shuttle.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
If that's the case, then the Dynamo fight must just be one of the quickest ways to alter the RNG. I mean the fight is maybe 90 seconds.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Does... does the Legacy Collection delete your storm tornadoes if there's too much stuff on screen in MMX1? I feel like that never happened before but I must be crazy.

Also no wonder nobody talks about the double maverick mode considering how trash it is.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Not sure if this is applicable to the Legacy Collection, but I think the RNG for the cannon resets if you use the in-game quit option (press Start, then Select to bring option up, IIRC). I played X5 ages ago with an emulator to get past the cannon/shuttle cutscene faster. I tried to use save states but that never worked, and resetting the emulator didn't seem to do anything either. But using the game's quit option helped me get the scenes where the cannon succeeds/the shuttle fails.

Andrigaar posted:

It sucks that the Legacy Collection didn't add in the option to not answer Alia's calls or turn her off like X8 did.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Jose Oquendo posted:

Here is a big ol' effortpost from TASvideos:

quote:

I finally figured out what makes the cannon work or not. Using RAM search, it was quite easy to find.

I set up the position again (beating Grizzly and Firefly and entering Grizzly's stage), then used RAM search to find the RNG (I know it changes during Grizzly's stage and it doesn't at the stage select screen). The RNG is at memory address 93F70-93F71. But that's not all.

While doing a number of tests, I discovered a strong correlation between the 1-byte value of 93F70 and success. The cannon didn't succeed often but on the first occasion it did, the value of 93F70 was 6. This led me to conclude that low numbers cause success. Sure enough 7 worked as well. 8 didn't work, so 7 seemed to be the largest number. But I decided to check 128+ just in case, and sure enough, it worked as well. Further tests revealed 64+ and 192+ worked, but 32+ didn't. So in conclusion, the game takes mod 64 and makes it success if the result is less than 8.

Of course, that was for two parts. For no parts, I discovered that instead of 8 it is 4. So the probability of success with no parts is 1/16, a lot higher than expected.

Here's the reason why Atma and Angerfist had that problem though: RNG values are thrown whenever the flashes occur in the cutscene of __ blowing up (I can't fill in the blank). Once it switches to the war room cutscene, it doesn't change anymore. 8 RNG values are thrown at the stage select screen (always), then one value when the success is to be determined.

If the probability is 1/16, you may wonder why success "almost never happens". It's because every time you reset, it seeds the RNG with a fixed number. Then when you load your save and launch the cannon, it always comes to the same RNG number, which is fail. So if you are speedrunning this game[Edit: segmented and want to reset, reload, retry for the cannon], you should start a new game or training with Zero on Xtreme, game over, and quit to main menu

So basically, if you save the game before Dynamo, load the game, fight Dynamo and fire, it's a 1/8 chance. It's a 1/16 chance if you just fire from stage select after the first stage. But if you save and quit (via reset or power off or whatever), it'll never happen. This has led a lot of people to believe the chance is lower than it really is, because they keep resetting to only have it fail. That is because whenever it is reset it's set to fail until the next big explosion, when it's rerolled.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I decided to give trad MM a break and started Legends 1, anything I should know/watch out for?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Circle-strafing works on nearly everything. I can't remember if this is L1 or 2, but some special subweapon upgrades are kinda bad, ie. the machinegun is way worse with "spread" fire

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I decided to give trad MM a break and started Legends 1, anything I should know/watch out for?

Always kick trash cans or trashcan like objects

There is a morality system but other than like a line or two of dialog it doesnt matter. The reason I mention it is you can early game get some decent cash if you kick the can in the shoppng hallway over the counter of businesses that have counters and more pressingly late game you can keep money from a bank robbery which you should always do.

The above advice does not apply to the sequel. There is a point where you need to buy an item to progress and the cost is tied to how good you are. Enjoy grinding for hours at max evil.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

I’ll try it, but from what some people have posted here, that method has no better or worse odds than any other trick in the book.

It’s dumb for a game based on skill and figuring poo poo out to require pure luck to get a reward. They should change it to just requiring the colony to be destroyed by the cannon or shuttle.

The best way I know is to get three parts, save, then fire, if that doesn't work, reload, enter a stage and exit a stage, then fire.Repeat as necessary.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oyster posted:

Here is a big ol' effortpost from TASvideos:

So basically, if you save the game before Dynamo, load the game, fight Dynamo and fire, it's a 1/8 chance. It's a 1/16 chance if you just fire from stage select after the first stage. But if you save and quit (via reset or power off or whatever), it'll never happen. This has led a lot of people to believe the chance is lower than it really is, because they keep resetting to only have it fail. That is because whenever it is reset it's set to fail until the next big explosion, when it's rerolled.

So if I save the gave right before Dynamo, load, fight dynamo, and fire, and it fails, can I reload that save and try again? Or is that number now permanent because I reset the game?

BrokenLink posted:

The best way I know is to get three parts, save, then fire, if that doesn't work, reload, enter a stage and exit a stage, then fire.Repeat as necessary.

This is exactly what I did for an hour with no success. I'm going to try what Oyster mentioned when I get a chance. Oh, and MMX6 is loving awful.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

So if I save the gave right before Dynamo, load, fight dynamo, and fire, and it fails, can I reload that save and try again? Or is that number now permanent because I reset the game?

No, that's a valid way of doing it.
Only trying to fire right after resetting is 100% guaranteed failure.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rail shooter boat bit, time to take a break

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sakurazuka posted:

I think you can tap forward and fire at the same time, to double your rate of fire. Moving diagonally is speedrunning. You can take off your helmet.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 11, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do the Legends games hold up? I want to play them eventually and see what the fuss is about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do the Legends games hold up? I want to play them eventually and see what the fuss is about.

Kind of yes kind of no. They're among the best looking 3D PS1 games but that's kind of a backhanded compliment. They have a lot of charm but a few things (especially the controls) have aged like sour milk. I still enjoy them quite a bit but there are a lot of complaints to be had about them and most of them are valid. They absolutely will not live up to the huge amount of hype you hear about them but few games could.

I think it's at least worth giving Legends 1 a shot.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
God drat, Tiesel Bonne's voice actor was so good and it turns out he's also a lovely, lovely person. Like, why, dude? Why? :smith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I can tell you now that the controls in MML 1 suck rear end and it's quite happy to make you run a gauntlet of dungeon + hard boss (exacerbated by the awful controls) and send you back to the last save point at the start when you die.
Hell the bosses wouldn't even be hard if you didn't spend half your time trying to turn the right way to shoot them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Legends has great controls for a game that came out pre-dual-analogue. It takes some getting used to but it's responsive as hell and generally gives you 100% control over the camera.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SeANMcBAY posted:

The first game is not really that good and the ending falls on its face when you play the sequel. It is worth a playthrough.

MML2 is still great and you better make use of the grab and throw, if you want to unlock the harder modes. Less censored than the first game.

Misadventures of Tron Bonne is very different, but I enjoyed sending my bots pick apart cars and houses for me, Pikmin style. Rustle horses and cows to be sold off. Research new upgrades by selling car parts and punishing disobedient bots with an obstacle course.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyway was there an easier way of damaging this big gold robot after you get the red replicator (reflector?) crystal, other than jumping and shooting its antenna? It looks like maybe you could hit it when it falls over trying to hit you but it always got up too quick for me to get a shot in.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 11, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyway was there an easier way of damaging this big gold robot after you get the red replicator (reflector?) crystal, other than jumping and shooting its antenna? It looks like maybe you could hit it when it falls over trying to hit you but it always got up too quick for me to get a shot in.

Use a weapon with splash damage like the Powered Buster, the main shot hits the shielded body but the explosion hits the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Legends 2 is good. Legends 1 doesn't hold up at aaaaaaaaaaaaall.