Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I'm surprised. With the paint job those F16's have, you'd think Berkeley would be cheering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
How about just tons of Howitzers?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

fighting giant wildfires would be a good use of a daisy cutter or MOAB

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

The overpressure from a blast wave is much much much higher than what you can get from a shock wave. So it's not at all the same thing. I don't know enough about using shocks to extinguish fires to know what it takes, but I certainly wouldn't suppose that just because bombs work, sonic booms will work, too. And despite what the article says, it's actually pretty hard to break a window with a sonic boom (usually the window has to be installed poorly) and the windows are certainly not "blown in," they crack and the glass falls straight down. I was involved in a big project for work involving window breakage due to overpressure, along with an older colleague of mine who was one of a few experts on sonic booms from back in the days where we thought there would be SSTs flying everywhere, and it's really hard to find any evidence of aircraft-induced shocks causing windows to do anything but crack. There's lots of data about blast waves turning windows into hailstorms of glass bullets, though, even at surprisingly large distances from the detonation.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The U.S. Navy Is Having a Hell of a Time Dismantling the USS Enterprise

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a22690208/us-navy-dismantling-uss-enterprise-nuclear-disposal/

Too expensive to dump it in Hanford? Rough.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

wonder what fraction of that ship is asbestos.

also wonder if you can neutron activate asbestos into some super carcinogen :thunk:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Dr. Despair posted:

wonder what fraction of that ship is asbestos.

also wonder if you can neutron activate asbestos into some super carcinogen :thunk:

Actually, in the nuclear waste industry, asbestos / PCBs / etc with radioactivity is common enough that it has the wonderful euphemism "mixed waste."

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So some fighters got to scramble today....

https://twitter.com/Sabian404/status/1028137639747051521

Someone stole a Q400 at KSEA and flew it around before crashing into an island

https://twitter.com/jwsthomson/status/1028134044502908929

e: unsurprisingly hearing reports of sonic booms from them going supersonic to get there.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 11, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Wait, that's the nearest place jets scramble from? Whidbey Island is like 20 miles away from Seatac! Navy don't scramble from land? Hmm, I guess you wouldn't use growlers for that.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 11, 2018

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Tetraptous posted:

it's really hard to find any evidence of aircraft-induced shocks causing windows to do anything but crack.

I think this was posted in this thread previously, if not it was the Aeronautical Insanity thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Mh3dsln9M&t=44s

They survey the damage for most of the second half of the video.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LRADIKAL posted:

Wait, that's the nearest place jets scramble from? Whidbey Island is like 20 miles away from Seatac! Navy don't scramble from land? Hmm, I guess you wouldn't use growlers for that.

PDX hosts F-15s on 24-hour NORAD duty. If you look at Google Maps you can find an area on the south side of the runway where there's a collection of military aircraft and arming barns. Just because the E/A-18s can carry AMRAAMs doesn't mean they're earmarked for that duty. Whidbey might not even carry them because it's not like the ship they'd be flying to wouldn't already have them, and the Growler doesn't even have the 20mm.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

Sweden has signed up to buy a battalion of Patriot and 300 interceptors.
Was wondering when that was gonna happen.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Here is footage of the guy doing a barrel roll into a nose dive followed by an F-15 chasing him https://twitter.com/cameronthomsen/status/1028157648158568448?s=12

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/UKDefJournal/status/1018512358489063425

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Some of the transcripts from the radio chatter seem to imply that the plane thief isn't a pilot but is a flight sim nerd.

Anyone know if he survived the crash?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Carth Dookie posted:

Some of the transcripts from the radio chatter seem to imply that the plane thief isn't a pilot but is a flight sim nerd.

Anyone know if he survived the crash?

he ded

that barrel roll was epic though. i can support going out like that

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bewbies posted:

he ded

that barrel roll was epic though. i can support going out like that

Yeah, the barrel roll into nearly a split-S was cool.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Buttcoin purse posted:

I think this was posted in this thread previously, if not it was the Aeronautical Insanity thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Mh3dsln9M&t=44s

They survey the damage for most of the second half of the video.

That's my point, actually. All of the glass is directly under the window, often even just outside of the windows. A blast wave would have scattered the glass well inside the room, because the overpressures are orders of magnitude greater and pressure is maintained on the glass shards even after the pain cracks, imparting it with substantial momentum. Not all shocks are created equal.

EDIT: e.g., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IfX29DfQjU

Tetraptous fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 11, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
So if you just put an above average intelligence "Joe Gamer" in a cockpit, they can do that poo poo? Holy hell.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I mean in fairness, loops and aileron rolls consist of "push stick in desired direction -> keep it there".

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sure but getting it off the ground and getting the gear up are a bit more complex.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Enourmo posted:

I mean in fairness, loops and aileron rolls consist of "push stick in desired direction -> keep it there".

Might be harder in that plane considering its size. An unskilled pilot trying to do an aileron roll would be liable to see the plane start drifting toward the ground halfway through.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh like in the linked clip where he almost ate it on camera? Interesting.

The energy management part is harder but commanding plane to do the thing is fairly straightforward.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Again he got it off the ground. That’s not as simple as “floor it and pull stick back”

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I’m not saying the dude was some kind of ace pilot but he knew more than me.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Now I want to fly a plane. Minus the firey death.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

chitoryu12 posted:

Might be harder in that plane considering its size. An unskilled pilot trying to do an aileron roll would be liable to see the plane start drifting toward the ground halfway through.

I did one of those full motion flight sims at the Kalamazoo air zoo a couple of times. A roll which is dead simple sitting at a PC becomes a lot more interesting when all your weight is hanging towards the 'ceiling' halfway into the roll.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hunterhr posted:

I did one of those full motion flight sims at the Kalamazoo air zoo a couple of times. A roll which is dead simple sitting at a PC becomes a lot more interesting when all your weight is hanging towards the 'ceiling' halfway into the roll.

Thats an aileron roll, he did a barrel roll which is a 1g maneuver. Or rather tried to do a barrel roll, he ended up like 90 degrees off the heading and way low so probably had some 0g moments in there.

Also he was a ramper which can mean any number of things, he might've known how to start the engines and such for testing purposes. Legally you only need to be a pilot to move a plane if you have the intention of taking off.

Regarding those F-15s...

https://twitter.com/PierceSheriff/status/1028147876508004352

Does not seem like a very official statement, but someone with access to the sheriff's twitter account says the F-15s shot him down.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Now I want to fly a plane. Minus the firey death.

I don't suspect he felt any pain...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Does not seem like a very official statement, but someone with access to the sheriff's twitter account says the F-15s shot him down.

Bad grammar aside, this message seems to imply they didn't:

https://twitter.com/PierceSheriff/status/1028140745960476672

My guess is that in doing all that aerobatic poo poo, he twisted the hell out of the airframe and it folded on him, or he did one maneuver too much and severed one too many redundant hydraulic lines, resulting in loss of control. I remember someone a long while back posting the aftermath of some guy barrel rolling his Learjet and doing irreparable damage to the airframe in doing so.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Simplest is he ran out of fuel and nosed in like said he would. He at one point said he only had 700 pounds left

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Simplest is he ran out of fuel and nosed in like said he would. He at one point said he only had 700 pounds left

He had to have *some* left or there wouldn't have been a significant fire event on Ketron Island.

Also, everyone pushing the shootdown 'conspiracy' is just stirring poo poo - there would have been plane spotters at PDX with NVGs checking the stores of the Eagles when they returned (provided there still wasn't useful twilight to check visually), and there were thousands of eyes glued to those planes. The motors in AAMs only burn for a few seconds, but they were low enough that hundreds of "someones" would've noticed (and tweeted) about seeing a missile fired.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 11, 2018

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Again he got it off the ground. That’s not as simple as “floor it and pull stick back”

Actually, it basically is that simple.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If you’re feeling shorty talk to someone, suicide sucks, etc but goddamn if he didn’t pick a stylish way to go out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He had to have *some* left or there wouldn't have been a significant fire event on Ketron Island.

Oil burns too

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

hobbesmaster posted:

"Kept out of harm's way" could just be a puffed up :patriot: way of saying that they were in position to shoot him down if it became necessary. Also I don't know how much involvement (what I assume is) the local sheriff's office has with that aspect of the case. It wouldn't be the first time an official with no real connection to an event makes some inaccurate statements about it in order to sound more impressive.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Captain Log posted:

So if you just put an above average intelligence "Joe Gamer" in a cockpit, they can do that poo poo? Holy hell.

I am a giant flight sim nerd, have been since I was 5. A couple years ago I had the chance to spend 3 hours in one of Delta's 777 simulators, it was easy peasy. Dude was like "here's the yoke, here's the throttle, have fun!" Kind of shocked him when I was reaching all around for flaps/spoilers/autobrake/basically anything I could try out. It got to the point where he was just turning off entire systems/killing engines/poo poo I probably wasn't even aware of and I still put the thing back on a runway.

So yeah, not only is it possible, it's incredibly easy if you're a nerd. Especially if you're one of the nerds that pays the big bucks for the super detailed planes where every switch works.

e: he was also impressed when I did the parkway approach to LaGuardia oops, JFK, the other one.

Doctor Grape Ape fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 11, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The hard part is startup and landing safely. And navigation if you’re trying to fly cross country. Same can be said for tons of complicated military systems. Firing a missile is easy, booting the system up properly is hard.

I could definitely start and fly an F-5 from sim experience. The problem: it needs an air start cart. Boooooooo, no solo stealing an F-5 for me.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

The super nerdy sims model the navigation computers too, so theoretically he could have plotted himself a course. There is an incredibly well done Q400 out there by Majestic. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRu6RwmE6g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you’re feeling shorty talk to someone, suicide sucks, etc but goddamn if he didn’t pick a stylish way to go out.

I suspect it is phoneposting but "feeling shortly" is almost a good turn of phrase

I also know how you feel, if only because this year in Canada we've had two dinguses who've killed innocents then tried to suicide by cop.

cool image about the Russian sub fleet

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 12, 2018