Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

e.pilot posted:

This just reenforces what I tell my students, anyone can take off and fly, landing is the tricky part.

While true, I don't think he had any intention of doing an actual landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

fknlo posted:

Obviously there are already a ton of people saying the F15's shot him down.

I know that logic and conspiracy theorists aren't on speaking terms, but like... why would that be something they lie about? There's nothing to cover up, the whole mission of those planes is to go shoot down rogue aircraft exactly like that. What exactly would they lose by stating that they shot the plane down? If anything you'd think it would show that they're willing to do it and hopefully discourage other people from attempting similar acts.

Not to mention getting all the ordnance, maintenance, supply, etc. guys at the base to ignore the fact that a missile or two has coincidentally failed to come back with the jet.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

fknlo posted:

Well yeah

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/cameronthomsen/status/1028157648158568448

Was the roll actually posted?

Either way I want the audio from that F-15

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/0BXCEtt.gifv

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

e.pilot posted:

This just reenforces what I tell my students, anyone can take off and fly, landing is the tricky part.

That's why you steal something with Cat III autoland, and spend some time learning how to manually program the FMS. Not that I've thought about these things. About how easy it would be until they shoot you down. But, if all the fighters were engaged in an apocalyptic alien invasion, it would be pretty easy to accomplish with the right security access and knowhow. An accomplice would be handy to help with refuelling and pushback, unless you get one that's parked on a remote stand or by the hangar. I'd probably go for an A330/340.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Aeronautical Insanity: I don't need much help, I've played videogames before"

Shouldn't cause any length problems, it's four less characters than the current title.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

"Aeronautical Insanity: I don't need much help, I've played videogames before"

Shouldn't cause any length problems, it's four less characters than the current title.

I asked the boss, hopefully they can use some editorial discretion.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Holy poo poo, ATC Memes become reality

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I know that logic and conspiracy theorists aren't on speaking terms, but like... why would that be something they lie about? There's nothing to cover up, the whole mission of those planes is to go shoot down rogue aircraft exactly like that. What exactly would they lose by stating that they shot the plane down? If anything you'd think it would show that they're willing to do it and hopefully discourage other people from attempting similar acts.

Not to mention getting all the ordnance, maintenance, supply, etc. guys at the base to ignore the fact that a missile or two has coincidentally failed to come back with the jet.

When you start with the conclusion "I'm completely right" and then work backwards, pretty much everything works

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Killing a citizen with military action without due process is — at a philosophical What is America sense — not a great look, and feeds into a lot of conspiratorial narratives about the big bad government hiding its misdeeds.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

dupersaurus posted:

Killing a citizen with military action without due process is — at a philosophical What is America sense — not a great look, and feeds into a lot of conspiratorial narratives about the big bad government hiding its misdeeds.

If this guy wasn't just hot-dogging around and primarily being a threat to himself, due process would likely be "he took a plane and is flying directly into a major city and refusing to answer or respond to headbutts and flare passes. Fox 2"

Just like if you rammed through the gate of a military installation with a dump truck, the MPs are still going to shoot you dead without waiting for a court date. Right or wrong, the government has decided "due process" doesn't mean time in court in extreme circumstances.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

If this guy wasn't just hot-dogging around and primarily being a threat to himself, due process would likely be "he took a plane and is flying directly into a major city and refusing to answer or respond to headbutts and flare passes. Fox 2"

Just like if you rammed through the gate of a military installation with a dump truck, the MPs are still going to shoot you dead without waiting for a court date. Right or wrong, the government has decided "due process" doesn't mean time in court in extreme circumstances.

If he hadn't been talking to ATC I pretty much assume that they would have shot him down.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

I was watching it from my balcony just now. It's a fixture of summer time around here in that it can just appear on any random Saturday. You hear it before you see it, of course.

They had one of the Dwarves from The Hobbit up for a ride in it earlier today, according to their Facebook page.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Unless I'm misinterpreting, the Pierce County Sheriff is implying it was shot down. :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/PierceSheriff/status/1028147876508004352?s=20

I don't know if this will embed with the Android app.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Charles posted:

Unless I'm misinterpreting, the Pierce County Sheriff is implying it was shot down. :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/PierceSheriff/status/1028147876508004352?s=20

I don't know if this will embed with the Android app.

Is that a real twitter account?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

Is that a real twitter account?

Yes, it is. I checked

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah, but it's not like this was a targeted drone strike, they were explicitly out there to shoot him down if needed. It shouldn't really matter if they actually had to shoot him down, it still would raise the same legal questions about that mission. And this would be like the absolute best case scenario for "shooting down an airliner" since there aren't even any passengers to worry about.

It would be like for 9/11 if the government openly admitted "well yes, we had the buildings wired with demolition charges, and here's some test footage of the stealth cruise missile we were going to shoot at the Pentagon, but someone came along and flew some airliners into the buildings first."

mlmp08 posted:

Just like if you rammed through the gate of a military installation with a dump truck, the MPs are still going to shoot you dead without waiting for a court date.

Exactly. They're not loading live missiles on the jets in order to arrest the guy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
To be fair, the F-15s the OR ANG has stationed at PDX are part of NORAD's 24-hour alert force. Those Alert planes are always armed and ready.

The West Coast has F/A-18s at Lemoore, F-15s at PDX, and F-15s and F-22s at Elmendorf in Alaska.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Whoa -- because of the backlighting, the plane is only a silhouette in the video; so you can set your mind to see it as barrel rolling left or right, like that spinning dancer illusion. And because I was seeing it the wrong way on my first viewing I had a huge :wtf::wtf::wtf: brainbusting moment as the belly became the top, like the T1000 in Terminator 2.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
If it came to shooting down the plane, would the interceptor pilots get a choice of how they did it? Does the ANG specify "authorized to fire one sidewinder" or are they just given clearance to do whatever it takes to stop it? Let's assume that the guy wasn't talking to ATC, so as far as anyone knew he might be planning to crash it into the space needle.

I am thinking about this because I'm wondering (grimly) how many 20mm shells it would take to bring down a Q400

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

If it came to shooting down the plane, would the interceptor pilots get a choice of how they did it? Does the ANG specify "authorized to fire one sidewinder" or are they just given clearance to do whatever it takes?

If there are specific weapon rules in a renegade situation, it’s likely classified.

Generally speaking, however, it’s up to the pilot to select the best weapon for the job on a single seater fighter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I am thinking about this because I'm wondering (grimly) how many 20mm shells it would take to bring down a Q400

1 in the wrong place.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Meaningful details from the press conference

- dude was a Ground Service Agent, employed by Horizon since Feb 2015

- did not have a pilot license

- had full security credentials to be where the plane was, no security violations were committed

- still to be confirmed that he was the only one on board

- the plane was at "Cargo 1" at the north part of the airport, no more flying duties for the rest of the day

- AC was parked Nose East at Cargo 1, dude pushed the plane back himself with a tug

- he did not get ramp/ground/tower clearances

- did communicate on ground frequency, and all communications were on ground frequency

vessbot fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 11, 2018

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

fknlo posted:

The guy literally said he would try a barrel roll and if it worked out he would "probably go nose-down and call it a night"

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Sagebrush posted:

If it came to shooting down the plane, would the interceptor pilots get a choice of how they did it? Does the ANG specify "authorized to fire one sidewinder" or are they just given clearance to do whatever it takes to stop it? Let's assume that the guy wasn't talking to ATC, so as far as anyone knew he might be planning to crash it into the space needle.

I heard from Phil Derner that a civilian shoot down needs POTUS permission. I'm not entirely sure if that's the case in every situation, but Phil has been a reliable source in the past and knows his poo poo so it seems right.

Odds are the dude realized what he did and just binned it. If there was a shoot down you would see pictures of missile trails by now

E:^^^^ also that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’d be shocked if there weren’t standing orders regarding the situation in which you can shoot down an airliner.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

I’d be shocked if there weren’t standing orders regarding the situation in which you can shoot down an airliner.

Same.

I'm also of the opinion that if they'd shot the plane down that we'd have absolutely heard about it from the government because this was pretty much the best case scenario for doing it and showing that we'll absolutely shoot down an airliner over the US if necessary.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The big ethical dilemma in shootdowns usually centers around the fact that they are filled with innocent passengers. It's just the weird mystical impact airplanes have which might cause this one suicidal guy to get shootdown conspiracies, but when cops gun down many airliner-loads of mentally ill people on the ground it barely raises an eyebrow.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

fknlo posted:

Same.

I'm also of the opinion that if they'd shot the plane down that we'd have absolutely heard about it from the government because this was pretty much the best case scenario for doing it and showing that we'll absolutely shoot down an airliner over the US if necessary.

certainly the trumpster would have immediately tweeted about it

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

mlmp08 posted:

Pretty much. “Use of deadly force authorized” means what it says on the tin.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

certainly the trumpster would have immediately tweeted about it

I'll be zero percent surprised when we find out that he gave the order to shoot it down but it ended up not happening because they were talking to him the whole time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

fknlo posted:

I'll be zero percent surprised when we find out that he gave the order to shoot it down but it ended up not happening because they were talking to him the whole time.

He'll tweet something that makes it sound ambiguous, then ~Q~ will doctor up something that's sufficiently blurry that his ~followers~ will eat up like a free sample at Costco.

"Very sad what Happened in Seattle. We Must do what we Have to do to Keep America Safe" or some bullshit.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Nah if he had we'd of immediately gotten a tweet along the lines of 'man stole plane (sick) but our great air force shot him down (IT WAS ME). keeping you safe from your favorite president'

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If he gave the order he'd have tweeted before they did it

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He'll tweet something that makes it sound ambiguous, then ~Q~ will doctor up something that's sufficiently blurry that his ~followers~ will eat up like a free sample at Costco.

"Very sad what Happened in Seattle. We Must do what we Have to do to Keep America Safe" or some bullshit.

I'm really indebted to SA for showing me a group of Trump followers who seem hell-bent on giving themselves schizophrenia rather than admit they got conned by a conman

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I mean as a practical matter if this was the policy on 9/11 wouldn’t dubya have been too busy reading my pet goat to give the go ahead in time?

Interesting tidbit - they eventually managed to scramble some F-16s for the last flight on 9/11 but the F-16s were unarmed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Forgot to add the generalized dig at some imagined adversary.

"Very sad what Happened in Seattle. We Must do what we Have to do to Keep America Safe. Guaranteed more deaths if this happened in China!!!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Nah if he had we'd of immediately gotten a tweet along the lines of 'man stole plane (sick) but our great air force shot him down (IT WAS ME). keeping you safe from your favorite president'

Brian Williams will soon report that he was aboard the plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm really indebted to SA for showing me a group of Trump followers who seem hell-bent on giving themselves schizophrenia rather than admit they got conned by a conman

I'm indebted to the Andrew Dice Clay thread for giving me

EYYYYY posted:

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I have schizophrenia
So do I