Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

femcastra posted:

Hey anyone got tips on how to handle my mother in law asking every single phone call whether my 5 month old is sleeping through the night?

She does some nights, other nights her bedtime feed might not have been enough so she needs another, and other nights I just need to resettle when she cries. To be clear, I’m not talking 10-12 hours, she classes sleeping through as 6-7 hours stretches.

I have tried honesty and I get unsolicited advice on what I need to do differently and anecdotes about how all of her babies slept through. Now I just lie and tell her she sleeps through every night because the drama is ridiculous.

I’m not worried about my baby, I think she’s doing well. A bit of sleep deprivation is not killing me. I would like to tell my mother in law to step off on this topic but I also really like her, and I have very little family of my own so this relationship is important to me.

Immediately hang up and claim bad phone connection. Every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

Immediately hang up and claim bad phone connection. Every time.

:sever:

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Just ignore the question or say "she's sleeping fine" and move on.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My 13 m/o daughter had a stomach bug two weeks ago. One early morning (4:30am or so), she did a spectacular watery poo poo, which overflowed the diaper, and stained her pajamas and bed covers. By the time we had cleaned her and the bed up, she was wide awake and we couldn't get her back to bed.

We have a hard limit on when we let her get up, which is 6am. If she wakes up before that, we treat it exactly like we would treat her waking up in the middle of the night, no matter how hard she protests. What does this have to do with her spectacular early-morning diarrhea? Well, her takeaway from that was apparently that if she does a poo poo, her parents are forced to take her from the crib and deal with it, giving her a loophole around the limit.

So now, when she wakes up and we refuse to take her from the crib, she just shits her pants.

I am feeling a mixture of immense pride, frustration, and a little bit of disgust. My kid is manipulating me by making GBS threads her pants on command. One one hand, that shows some serious intellectual development, on the other hand, jesus loving christ.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My nearly 3-year old son is potty training, and has learned that because we don't want him to poo poo in his diaper, the longer he can hold on to his poo poo through the day the later his bedtime will be.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Our son is a light binky user - he uses it only in the car or to go to sleep. He's just over 4 months.

He sleeps really well for the first 'half' of night - goes down around 8pm and sleeps without issue until ~2am - but after that it's a coin flip what happens next. Either he wakes up once or twice & needs just one reinsertion of the binky until ~6am. Orrrr he wakes up multiple times an hour crying for the binky until the sun is up

The 'wake up multiple times' thing is new and definitely feels like a classic 4 month regression. But it's also related to the binky

We are completely torn whether to wean the binky. It feels like that may solve the problem where he needs reinsertion every night, but it seems just as likely he'll replace it with some other issue. He's such a light binky user that it doesn't feel like an urgent thing to wean it, and if this wake up thing is regression related then we should just wait it out, right?

argh. I feel so paralyzed because the situation now kinda sucks but his sleep feels so fragile that any change might break it

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

femcastra posted:

Hey anyone got tips on how to handle my mother in law asking every single phone call whether my 5 month old is sleeping through the night?

This type of poo poo used to drive me nuts - and still does tbh - but after experiencing it a bunch I think the issue is less with your mother in law and more about how limited baby small talk is

There's like 2 or 3 things to ask about a baby that young, and whether they're sleeping through the night is one of them. Relatives and friends want to feel connected to your baby and mentally tracking their milestones is one way to do that.

I don't think she's doing it to be judgey or a nag, and I'd bet she'd be receptive to something like "hey, when you ask this kinda thing it makes me feel like you're judging me as a parent and it's stressful enough already."

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

The Fool posted:

My nearly 3-year old son is potty training, and has learned that because we don't want him to poo poo in his diaper, the longer he can hold on to his poo poo through the day the later his bedtime will be.

Ours did this, we'd close the door for bedtime and a minute later he'd come out and say he pooped his diaper. One night we put him on the toilet at bedtime and waited for him to poo poo. It took him 45 minutes. He never pooped in his diaper again.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

WarpDogs posted:

The 'wake up multiple times' thing is new and definitely feels like a classic 4 month regression. But it's also related to the binky

Same! Our daughter slept like a log from 2.5 months to 4 months. Last week she reached 4 months, and like clockwork she is now waking up every two hours to cry for her pacifier.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

My wife and I have a one year old currently in a Britax B-Safe 35 Elite Infant Car Seat. We have two base units to easily move the seat between our two cars.

It looks like the next seat size up if I were to stay with Britax would be the Emblem or Allegiance but it doesn't appear that you can buy the base separately?

Does anyone have any recommendations for upsizing from our current infant seat? Technically she has some more pounds to go before maxing out the 35lb limit but she's getting to be a tight fit to take in and out at this point. Seats with purchasable separate bases would be great but we may just buy two seats or say gently caress it and just use one seat.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Once you move out of the bucket seat, car seats don’t use separate bases.

If you need a seat in 2 cars & don’t wanna have to constantly move it around you have to buy 2 seats. It blows.

Also, most babies outgrow their bucket seat by height before they hit the weight limit. If she’s over the height limit you need to get a new seat ASAP.

All of the Britax seats are great, the ones with clicktight install are easy to install if you end up going with just one seat. We had the Chicco Nextfit, which was a very easy install with LATCH.

GoreJess fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 11, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My 7 week old is incredibly gassy. We've done everything we can regarding solutions, like bottles, feeding technique, etc.

Then we got Fridababy Windis. Holy. loving. poo poo. These are the greatest invention ever made.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

tangy yet delightful posted:

My wife and I have a one year old currently in a Britax B-Safe 35 Elite Infant Car Seat. We have two base units to easily move the seat between our two cars.

It looks like the next seat size up if I were to stay with Britax would be the Emblem or Allegiance but it doesn't appear that you can buy the base separately?

Does anyone have any recommendations for upsizing from our current infant seat? Technically she has some more pounds to go before maxing out the 35lb limit but she's getting to be a tight fit to take in and out at this point. Seats with purchasable separate bases would be great but we may just buy two seats or say gently caress it and just use one seat.

Convertible seats don’t have detachable bases. You’d have to either buy two seats or switch between cars. ☹️

I don’t have any personal experience with those models but we’ve used their Boulevard (it wasn’t part of the click tight line back in the day, now the new models are) and the Advocate. I like our seats but they are big/bulky and heavy. They really eat into the front leg room when rear facing and behind a seat.

I like the click tight system and their 10 year expiration date. We have a 4 year age gap so it is nice that both kids will use/out grow (I haven’t done the math on our booster but it should hold true) the seats before they expire.

e: beaten

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

WarpDogs posted:

We are completely torn whether to wean the binky. It feels like that may solve the problem where he needs reinsertion every night, but it seems just as likely he'll replace it with some other issue. He's such a light binky user that it doesn't feel like an urgent thing to wean it, and if this wake up thing is regression related then we should just wait it out, right?

argh. I feel so paralyzed because the situation now kinda sucks but his sleep feels so fragile that any change might break it

Teach him to suck his fingers instead so he doesn't need help reinserting them. Mostly joking although that is exactly what we did and our kid still sucks his fingers at 2.5. I'm not that worried about it and it really helps him sleep/self soothe.
There will definitely be other issues and his sleep will probably feel fragile for a long time so don't beat yourself up about this decision.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

laxbro posted:

Same! Our daughter slept like a log from 2.5 months to 4 months. Last week she reached 4 months, and like clockwork she is now waking up every two hours to cry for her pacifier.

That 4 month regression was a bitch. We started cosleeping at that age so mine could have constant access to boobs and I didn't have to wake up every 2 hours to pop her on and off. We had some minor success with a wubbanub/stuffed animal style pacifier before just giving up and cosleeping. That might be worth a shot if you're not interested in cosleeping at all.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

1up posted:

That 4 month regression was a bitch. We started cosleeping at that age so mine could have constant access to boobs and I didn't have to wake up every 2 hours to pop her on and off. We had some minor success with a wubbanub/stuffed animal style pacifier before just giving up and cosleeping. That might be worth a shot if you're not interested in cosleeping at all.

Her crib is pulled up right to our bed, side to side. We can reach over the crib railing to put the pacifier back in, which makes it pretty easy. The hardest part is finding the pacifier in the dark, or having to get a new one since she threw the other one on the floor. Good idea with the wubbanub, we actually have one but don't use it much so far since it is sort of a pain to clean. That would be much easier to find in the dark, and she shouldn't be able to throw it out of the crib as she rolls around.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the advice not sure in her length but we'll have her measured soon at the doc and honestly I'll probably order one anyway before that.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

tangy yet delightful posted:

Thanks for the advice not sure in her length but we'll have her measured soon at the doc and honestly I'll probably order one anyway before that.

https://us.britax.com/tips-advice/outgrowing-a-car-seat/

“Rear-facing in a Britax Infant Car Seat: Your child has outgrown the seat in rear-facing mode if the top of their head is less than 1 inch below the top of the car seat shell when seated OR if the harness straps can’t be positioned in the closest position at or below their shoulders.”

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How do you know when to move bedtime later? We're done with the bedtime routine by 6:45 and she's usually up for at least 45 minutes talking to herself. She seems to be waking up earlier, as well. Approaching 3 years old, if that's relevant.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

laxbro posted:

Her crib is pulled up right to our bed, side to side. We can reach over the crib railing to put the pacifier back in, which makes it pretty easy. The hardest part is finding the pacifier in the dark, or having to get a new one since she threw the other one on the floor. Good idea with the wubbanub, we actually have one but don't use it much so far since it is sort of a pain to clean. That would be much easier to find in the dark, and she shouldn't be able to throw it out of the crib as she rolls around.

There are glow in the dark pacifiers you can get and you should probably just toss like 8 of them in the crib so you can grab one easily in the middle of the night.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I wouldn't recommend taking it because then they might suck their thumbs as a substitute. And if your kid is using a pacifier when they get to the age where it starts impacting teeth and palate shape, you can just remove the pacifier then but you can't remove thumbs :)

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Yeah multiple pacifiers worked for us. I think we had five in the crib; basically all corners and the middle just in case.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Yeah we do multiple dummies too. Around 4 months old she started trying to put it in herself and now at 5 months she can do it herself 4 out of 5 times, which saves a lot of hassle.

I put her to bed surrounded by dummies and she puts one in her mouth when she’s ready and settles herself to sleep. I started doing this when she started spitting the dummy out when I put it in for her.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
We have twins and we have like 4-5 pacifiers laying on a table close to the cribs. I don't really try to find the pacifier at all, I just make sure it's not going to be under the baby when I put him back down. Even the glow in the dark one are useless since they glow in the dark for an hour or two at most.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

sheri posted:

you can just remove the pacifier then but you can't remove thumbs :)

Hey, you parent your way, I'll parent mine, bub.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Spent the weekend at the emergency room, guess it was for nothing but I got pretty scared. Daniel came and said his stomach hurt and that his brother had jumped on his stomach (they can get pretty physical, though I didn't see this), then he develops a high fever and cries about his stomach hurting. So I guess you can see why I was worried something was broken within (spleen perhaps, or appendix or something else).

Three doctors in total checked him but said everything felt fine, so they sent us home, then he took a poo poo which was pretty constipated so that might have been the reason for his stomach pain and the SO has had a flu so perhaps he's geting that, might all just be one big coincidence for maximum parental fear. He seemed better last night, drinks and eats and so on, we were told to go back and deliver a urine sample on sunday too which came back clean. Staying home today from daycare because he still has a fever also been reading them the riot act on loving jumping on someone else or even stepping on them.

At least the emergency visits are free when it comes to kids, adults it would have been 40€ per visit.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
So I'm heading down to Austin in November and need a little advice, not a parent, but will be dealing with some.

So my cousin and his wife are a bit out there when it comes to their parenting. I won't go into too much detail, but the one thing that makes things awkward for me (and also his wife's father) is that they let their four year old daughters be naked when they they feel like it.

My problem is that as a 30 something year old male is that this is both very awkward for me and also it makes things very uncomfortable for me in general. Now, I don't want to judge their parenting style, but what do I do if this happens while I'm visiting? Can I just walk away or something or do I just deal with it?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Don't be weird, letting 4 year olds run around naked isn't out there.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah that's pretty tame. It's Austin so weird end would be seeing a 4-5 year old whip out his mom's breast when you are trying to have a conversation with the mom.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Why is that particularly awkward for you? They're pretty small kids. As a parent, you sometimes have to prioritize what behavior you deal with immediately and what you work on with an eye toward the long term. Running around naked is really not that high on the list of "oh poo poo" kid behaviors unless you've really just lucked the gently caress out on having a kid that never tries to push limits and is really accommodating of adults' standards.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I get it, if you aren't a parent you likely aren't around random naked folks so it can be awkward. I have 4 kids, but even we try to keep their nakedness to bathtime and changing and we try to keep them separated or get them in underpants/diapers right away.

Just be honest with the parents. Ask if they can wear at least underwear while you are around, or a loose dress. It's their home, so expect them to openly laugh at that request, but at least you can be honest and feel better about leaving a situation you are uncomfortable with. Not everyone is cool with naked little kids running around, I totally get it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

screenwritersblues posted:

So I'm heading down to Austin in November and need a little advice, not a parent, but will be dealing with some.

So my cousin and his wife are a bit out there when it comes to their parenting. I won't go into too much detail, but the one thing that makes things awkward for me (and also his wife's father) is that they let their four year old daughters be naked when they they feel like it.

My problem is that as a 30 something year old male is that this is both very awkward for me and also it makes things very uncomfortable for me in general. Now, I don't want to judge their parenting style, but what do I do if this happens while I'm visiting? Can I just walk away or something or do I just deal with it?

This says far more about you than it does them, dude. It's a 4 year old kid, for god's sake. Jesus Christ. Yeah, it's pretty unusual to let your kids run around naked, but it shouldn't make you feel uncomfortable. To be honest that's just plain goddamn creepy.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Bardeh posted:

This says far more about you than it does them, dude. It's a 4 year old kid, for god's sake. Jesus Christ. Yeah, it's pretty unusual to let your kids run around naked, but it shouldn't make you feel uncomfortable. To be honest that's just plain goddamn creepy.

Dude, not everyone is comfortable with naked people. Even little kids. Maybe there's a religious element, maybe there's a past history here. Stop being judgmental, this is a forum for advice so calm down and back off making someone feel bad about a rather unusual situation.

My toddler once crapped his pants when my childfree friends were around, it made them all so very uncomfortable. I con only imagine if he ran through our house naked they probably would have called it an early night.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If it was up to my 5 year old, he would probably be a nudist.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

VorpalBunny posted:

Dude, not everyone is comfortable with naked people. Even little kids. Maybe there's a religious element, maybe there's a past history here. Stop being judgmental, this is a forum for advice so calm down and back off making someone feel bad about a rather unusual situation.

My toddler once crapped his pants when my childfree friends were around, it made them all so very uncomfortable. I con only imagine if he ran through our house naked they probably would have called it an early night.

I don't know if this is another one of those cultural disconnects between the US and Europe, but someone talking like that about a naked 4 year old in my country would be extremely strange. Little kids are naked sometimes. They can poop when they're not meant to poop.

Regardless, I will apologise for the tone of my post, but I would still suggest to screenwritersblues that it's not a big deal and just to chill.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Just talk to your sister and let her know your concerns. Four years old is also plenty old to understand context and some degree of manners, so she may decide to use it as a teaching moment. She might also decide that you will just have to deal with kids being kids. At least you would've said something.

Although don't be surprised if people act like why would you ever have a problem or issue or concern or be uncomfortable and clearly the problem is you.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

screenwritersblues posted:

My problem is that as a 30 something year old male is that [being around nude nieces] is both very awkward for me and also it makes things very uncomfortable for me in general.

That's kinda weird, dude. But try not to pop a boner and everything'll be fine I'm sure.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

sebzilla posted:

That's kinda weird, dude. But try not to pop a boner and everything'll be fine I'm sure.

Quit being a shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Seriously, it's enough already. Different people are comfortable and uncomfortable with different things. This is really not a big deal.

As for content, just joined the 4 month sleep regression club... A whole month early! Saying goodbye to a wakeful state of mind, but super glad that the little sucker is growing so quickly. Baby is kind of outeating mom's supply though, so it looks like we'll be needing to supplement. Doing my best to be supportive of my wife through this, and of course, we'll supplement if we need to, but we'd like to do our best to stick to the good stuff as much as possible. Part of the problem is that baby seems to have an unyielding appetite.

She's only three months but she's perfectly capable of putting away nine ounces at a time which, when we told her pediatrician about, got a huge laugh. I've tried a bunch of different things to see if we can adjust how much she takes ib: changing schedules, more feeds with less, etc. But, it just seems like most of the time when she finishes whatever I give her, she screams for more. She keeps it all down, so it's not like it's going to waste. So I guess... Just keep doing what we're doing, and supplement if need be?

Our current operating theory on how much she's putting away is that we're vegan and don't take in a whole lot of fat, so the milk she's producing might be nutritionally dense, but not calorically. No idea if there's any truth that.