Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dross posted:

At no point in gaming history have PCs not been able to do what consoles were doing.

Also at no point in gaming history has a PC with comparable gaming performance not been the more expensive option.

Actually consumer pc hardware lagged behind consoles in the 80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s because FFVIII was such a flaming pile of dogshit that they had no choice but to stop trying to get cute and push the envelope with a bunch of occult bullshit and the literal most boring RPG cast of all time and the actual least sensical plot in video game history (dethroned only by Kingdom Hearts).

Their choices were doubling down on stupid boring bullshit or making a fun, lighthearted RPG with a more classical feel. They succeeded with 9/10/11 and then went on to double down on stupid boring bullshit and bad characters for FFXII.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

basic hitler posted:

Actually consumer pc hardware lagged behind consoles in the 80s

Really? I’d say a C64 or Atari 520 ST could hold its own against an NES. But they cost a ton (equivalent to a couple thou in 2018) and really weren’t designed to be gaming machines so it’s a lot more apples-to-oranges than it is now.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Dross posted:

At no point in gaming history have PCs not been able to do what consoles were doing.

The Nintendo was custom designed to be able to do smooth screen scrolling, something that early PC's couldn't replicate until John Carmack figured it out for Commander Keen.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s because FFVIII was such a flaming pile of dogshit that they had no choice but to stop trying to get cute and push the envelope with a bunch of occult bullshit and the literal most boring RPG cast of all time and the actual least sensical plot in video game history (dethroned only by Kingdom Hearts).

Their choices were doubling down on stupid boring bullshit or making a fun, lighthearted RPG with a more classical feel. They succeeded with 9/10/11 and then went on to double down on stupid boring bullshit and bad characters for FFXII.

Wth man

E: I mean flaming pile is a little harsh. At least it gave us one of the most extensive lore theory faq of the olden days, almost as in depth as silent hill's

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dross posted:

Really? I’d say a C64 or Atari 520 ST could hold its own against an NES. But they cost a ton (equivalent to a couple thou in 2018) and really weren’t designed to be gaming machines so it’s a lot more apples-to-oranges than it is now.

take a look at what had to be done to port say, street fighter to the c64. a lot of console -> c64 ports and such sacrifice a fuckload of fidelity, playability, and like everything that makes games good is cut back to make it work.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Dross posted:

Also at no point in gaming history has a PC with comparable gaming performance not been the more expensive option.

This also isn't true. It's true for the first couple years after a console releases, but that hardware stays the same while PC hardware keeps getting better and cheaper. There have been plenty of times when you could build a better/cheaper PC late in a console release cycle.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

LinYutang posted:

I tried playing through FF9 and it was extremely painful and I can't believe how highly regarded it is. I gave up on the last disc.

- the battles are extremely slow and unfun

- the difficulty levels are all over the place, there's weird moments where you don't have a healer but you're being hit for half your health

- the plot is just weak, and not for its lightheartedness. There are still big dramatic moments that are just brushed aside with bad storytelling and dialogue, like when Zidane finds out he's an alien or whatever

- I hardly remember the leveling system other than something bad involving equipment and points and basically no strategy or interesting customization

I switched to FF10 and it still holds up well. It still has all the dumb character tropes but with a really solid storyline and some compelling twists that are impactful. Like Yuna's naivete almost leading everyone to get killed by Seymour. The dread of Yuna dying is switched out for Tidus dying. The battle system is turn based but fast and fun even though there's not much strategy to it. The graphics in the remaster hold up, even.

I like FF9 but yeah, the actual gameplay kind of proves Square never had a clue about game design. It's hard to even believe programmers or anyone else whose job involves basic logic was involved putting it together, the animations bottleneck so hard unless you set the battle speed to a crawl. You can serially process +5 times +3 second animations in 10 seconds right? The pro start for that game is to enable pausing in options and stopping the game clock whenever your guys are stuck waiting for the animation queue to clear either way. It's really dumb and shouldn't work if ATB was even a barely functional game mechanism for handling a turn system. I will never understand why they stuck with it so long, let alone go back to it after figuring out a perfect transparent replacement in FF10.

The main story is good though, it just that it ends about two thirds into the game. Dagger never gets the credit for being the stealth protagonist she is like Yuna and Ashe do.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 12, 2018

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

final fantasy games all have the same issue where they start off with a decent storyline but it ends up going way off the rails with supernatural/space/occult bullshit 2/3 of the way through. FF6 is the exception, that game is solid all the way through

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

goethe.cx posted:

final fantasy games all have the same issue where they start off with a decent storyline but it ends up going way off the rails with supernatural/space/occult bullshit 2/3 of the way through. FF6 is the exception, that game is solid all the way through

solid poo poo maybe

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

is pepsi ok posted:

This also isn't true. It's true for the first couple years after a console releases, but that hardware stays the same while PC hardware keeps getting better and cheaper. There have been plenty of times when you could build a better/cheaper PC late in a console release cycle.

A good midrange graphics card usually costs about as much as an entire console. I’ve been doing both in more or less parallel for 30 years though admittedly my knowledge of early 80s tech is lacking.

Dross fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 12, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dross posted:

not if you consider having to buy a whole new ps4 after 3 years to get stable 1080p60 (or 4k at all) for the first time. you could have bought or built a better pc for less than the sum, for sure, and years in advance. you're also wrong in general and vastly overestimating the cost of entry for pc gaming for a cheap gently caress. also steam sales, and you can play on the internet for free without an additional sub. it's loving hilarious that anyone tolerates an extra paid sub for online play and you should factor in the lifetime cost of that bullshit when you consider how a great a deal you're getting

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 12, 2018

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

BioMe posted:

solid poo poo maybe

if FF6 is solid poo poo then the rest are diarrhea. FF8 is diseased black tarry poo poo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The entry price for PC gaming being cheap is only true if you know how to build a PC or have a friend that’s willing to do it for you for free and also only if you wait till Black Friday//Cyber Monday deals otherwise there is no loving way even the most scrub tier gaming rig (with monitor) is gonna be cheaper than a console.

I’ve built my last 3 gaming PCs and also own a PS4Pro and will probably buy myself a Switch for Xmas, but only after dramatically upgrading my PC.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
actually kind of charming to see a rehash of the great console versus pc war. complete with the most clumsy ad hominem arguments on both sides. really takes me back.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

maybe if pc gamers didn't just pirate every game that they are able to they would get more good games

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Maybe if publishers didn't want games to be pirated they wouldn't release them in an economic system which incentivises spending as little money as possible

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

maybe if pc gamers didn't just pirate every game that they are able to they would get more good games

I remember when I paid 70€ for PS3 games that turned out to be garbage. I'm sorry everyone has to suffer because console gamers are such suckers.

I gladly miss a few exclusives if it means you can demo everything else before wasting your money.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The entry price for PC gaming being cheap is only true if you know how to build a PC or have a friend that’s willing to do it for you for free and also only if you wait till Black Friday//Cyber Monday deals otherwise there is no loving way even the most scrub tier gaming rig (with monitor) is gonna be cheaper than a console.

unless you factor in a few years of playstation plus, at which point it's no contest

Caesar Saladin posted:

lol PC gets the most games and the most good games because the goddamned golden age of pc gaming has been raging for a decade now

you can count on one hand the good ps4 games pc gamers can't play

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 12, 2018

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

poverty goat posted:

not if you consider having to buy a whole new ps4 after 3 years to get stable 1080p60 (or 4k at all) for the first time. you could have bought or built a better pc for less than the sum, for sure, and years in advance. you're also wrong in general and vastly overestimating the cost of entry for pc gaming for a cheap gently caress. also steam sales, and you can play on the internet for free without an additional sub. it's loving hilarious that anyone tolerates an extra paid sub for online play and you should factor in the lifetime cost of that bullshit when you consider how a great a deal you're getting

Why are you comparing a console early adopter who cares about performance to someone who’s not willing to invest in their PC

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

poverty goat posted:

unless you factor in a few years of playstation plus, at which point it's no contest

Yeah, like 5 years at $60.00/year is $300, or the cost of any single component piece of a good gaming PC

People acting like $4.00 a month to play games online is this great burden that financially crippled the console gamers is embarrassing, that’s a soda pop and a pack of gum every 30 days to play online.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If you hace no qualms about engaging in piracy where possible, you will save so much money over the lifetime of the respective parts in your pc that even if you pay north of 1000 for it you're still probably coming out ahead.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, like 5 years at $60.00/year is $300, or the cost of any single component piece of a good gaming PC

People acting like $4.00 a month to play games online is this great burden that financially crippled the console gamers is embarrassing, that’s a soda pop and a pack of gum every 30 days to play online.

$4 a month to play games online is $4 too high.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

pc is cool because i can play the games i missed on console for 5 bucks with an xbone controller without having to own that console.

keyboard and mouse sucks rear end

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah but depending on where I live vs where you live, you might still be paying more per month to play your games online than I am.

My highspeed Internet is $20.00 a month, and I buy my PS+ subs for $40-50 depending on when the best Black Friday deals are popping up. I dare say there are goons in this very thread who might be paying double that for just their internet.

I also used to pirate every game I wanted to play, but after like 2 years I realized that I’d genuinely rather support companies that make things I like and besides that I hated not having my cheevos pop on steam.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Away all Goats posted:

True, luckily I don't play games online. I think both the Microsoft and Sony services also get you at least one free game per month

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i like to support small developers, and i wish cd pr red treated their workers better, but i also back them. I've got a standing policy to never give EA, ubisoft, or activision blizzard another cent of my money ever again though.

thankfully i basically have no interest in what big-name publishers are making these days so it's not much of a moral quandary

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

The key here is that a good gaming PC doesn't actually need to cost that much, for the last decade you've been able to build a gaming PC that can play all of the latest-generation games for roughly the cost of a new PS3 ($600 IIRC). And that's not waiting around for sales or whatever. Dudes spending $2k on a gaming rig are not the norm

Plus in a few years when the video card has gone stale you can easily get away with just upgrading that instead of buying a whole new system. That's what I do. Build a new system every 7-8 years and upgrade the video card once halfway, that seems to be enough to have high (but not bleeding edge) performance gaming the entire time on a budget

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 12, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but depending on where I live vs where you live, you might still be paying more per month to play your games online than I am.

My highspeed Internet is $20.00 a month, and I buy my PS+ subs for $40-50 depending on when the best Black Friday deals are popping up. I dare say there are goons in this very thread who might be paying double that for just their internet.

I also used to pirate every game I wanted to play, but after like 2 years I realized that I’d genuinely rather support companies that make things I like and besides that I hated not having my cheevos pop on steam.

What relevance do you think this has? The PS+ subscription is on top of your ISP bill, it doesn't take its place or something

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Zane posted:

actually kind of charming to see a rehash of the great console versus pc war. complete with the most clumsy ad hominem arguments on both sides. really takes me back.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

The key here is that a good gaming PC doesn't actually need to cost that much, for the last decade you've been able to build a gaming PC that can play all of the latest-generation games for roughly the cost of a new PS3 ($600 IIRC). And that's not waiting around for sales or whatever. Dudes spending $2k on a gaming rig are not the norm

Plus in a few years when the video card has gone stale you can easily get away with just upgrading that instead of buying a whole new system. That's what I do. Build a new system every 7-8 years and upgrade the video card once halfway, that seems to be enough to have high (but not bleeding edge) performance gaming the entire time on a budget

Your case against someone buying a game console, a thing designed for ease of use and standardized hardware, is to build a gaming PC and later replace hardware for it

Have you considered that maybe you don't understand this market

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The benefits of a console are only benefits for idiot morons. Ease of use? yeah because using steam is sooo hard. Learning basic cpu components and putting them together is sooo hard. it's almost more difficult than those puzzles where you fit corresponding shapes into the hole that fits. it's all soooo difficult to have a better experience. but at least i can veg out on a couch and shout slurs at randoms while playing the latest greatest hot titles, some mushy, samey shooter with a lame rear end focus tested story, day 0 dlc and in-game advertising gently caress yeah.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Your case against someone buying a game console, a thing designed for ease of use and standardized hardware, is to build a gaming PC and later replace hardware for it

Have you considered that maybe you don't understand this market

Oh no, I'm not making a case against buying a game console, I think that consoles are great. I'm just disputing the idea that someone has to spend a grand on a gaming PC

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wanting to play video games so badly that you teach yourself how to build a machine that will allow you to play them even harder is a different set of wants and values than "I want to play video games easily, without having to plug more than 3 things into anything, at any point" or more specifically "I want my child to be able to play video games 35 seconds after they open this poo poo up on Xmas"

Also i'll out myself as saying that I would have never risked breaking expensive parts I didn't understand and really didn't have any interest in learning until I watched a few PCs get built and then I was like "Oh this is insanely less complicated than I thought" but it's really not hard to remember a time when computers may as well have been magic to me, and i wouldn't ever begrudge someone not wanting to undertake learning how.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If we are gonna get into the paying to play online thing at least be honest and acknowledge that you get a buttload of free games with it as well as pretty substantial bonus discounts during sales. Like, I am far from thrilled at the concept of paying to play online because it’s BS, but I’d buy the service regardless because the discounts and free poo poo more than make up for it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If you have a strong opinion on the console wars, you might be an idiot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s just people BSing about things they like. It’s a thing people do in regards to just about everything. Get over it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

It’s just people BSing about things they like. It’s a thing people do in regards to just about everything. Get over it.

just lol if you don't squirm with a big anime sweat drop on your forehead as people discuss something nerdy, eager and unable to sit still, your huge fat thundering rear end quaking as you begin to shake violently, signalling to everyone you want to speak, and finally in a tenor pitch nasally voice you you say, as you push up your glasses, "Why do you nerds even care about this! You should be cool, like me", as a strained whitehead finally bursts on your forehead and you chortle superiorly, killing the conversation that you can now dominate with some poo poo nobody else cares about

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

pc gaming is lame as hell, its all free to play bullshit, mobas (the lames genre), mmos and strategy turn based boardgame crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Oh no, I'm not making a case against buying a game console, I think that consoles are great. I'm just disputing the idea that someone has to spend a grand on a gaming PC

Oh okay

The whole PC vs consoles thing is the dumbest poo poo in the world anyway because playing the game you want to play is more important than being able to play games in general and also because people use computers for a lot more than games so who loving cares if you pay a grand for a PC

Like I wanna pay a grand for my next PC just so I don't have to loving build or maintain the thing