Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Critterquest: Fyre Ant Festival 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
there's a dearth of ant photos in these threads doubtless because those fuckers are industrious on top of being small, v difficult to get ur macro shots

not to mention the bitiness.

one of my fave pics I ever took (probably posted it in a previous iteration of CQ) was a weaver ant in Bali:

lookit them antennae!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I've been watching videos about these Bullet Ants that make people wants to kill themselves due to the pain when they are stung.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Went for a walk this morning on an old colonial farm turned land trust property, the only other traveler I encountered on the paths was this little beaut

I moved him(?) off the path a bit where his camo was slightly more effective

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

free hubcaps posted:

Went for a walk this morning on an old colonial farm turned land trust property, the only other traveler I encountered on the paths was this little beaut

"OH poo poo"

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Took a day and went to the nearby nature center, saw some deer that ran before I could get my phone out, but the most interesting critter was this here sneko hiding in a tree.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
I know toads aren't the most exotic animals out there but I love them so much.

Evil Sprite Can
Oct 23, 2008
It's been raining a lot in Maryland the past couple weeks, which is apparently great for toads because there's been an explosion of babies. Just rescued five of'em from my window well this morning.

I really like the orange ones.

Evil Sprite Can fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 3, 2018

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib

Evil Sprite Can posted:

It's been raining a lot in Maryland the past couple weeks, which is apparently great for toads because there's been an explosion of babies. Just rescued five of'em from my window well this morning.

I really like the orange ones.

The main entrance to my neighborhood was recently repaved and for some reason there are significantly more toads, like 10 to 1, on it at night than the unpaved portions. So many toads.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

free hubcaps posted:

I moved him(?) off the path a bit where his camo was slightly more effective

Looks like a he, male box turtles tend to have red or orange eyes while females have brown or yellow.

In the future, it's generally a good idea to not move box turtles unless they're in immediate danger, and then to only move them a short distance away. I'm sure he was fine from how you moved him, but he knew where he was and what he was trying to do, so moving him probably cost him a bit of time and effort to get back to where he was headed - or maybe you took him right where he was headed. Generally speaking, though, he's at least 20-30 years old and is likely to be much older, so typically box turtles know what they're doing as far as survival goes and are best left to do their thing.

Relocating box turtles tends to be fatal, though, so if anyone ever sees a box turtle somewhere - crossing the road, maybe - and wants to help it, it's best to get send them in the direction they were heading and let them do their thing. Moving a box turtle more than a couple hundred feet tends to result in the turtle dying, since it doesn't know where to find the things it needs and may exhaust itself trying to find home.

OneTwentySix fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 3, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Critterquest 2018: We Forgot to Make a New Thread

Make it 2019 so we can get ahead of the game

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

poverty goat posted:

Make it 2019 so we can get ahead of the game

Critterquest 2019: These fire ant bites itch an unreasonable amount.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Found some beetles and cocoons under a log! Cool that they're red.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

It's hard to tell but that may well be a pupating beetle there rather than a cocoon

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

the yeti posted:

It's hard to tell but that may well be a pupating beetle there rather than a cocoon

I don't know beetle terms so you're most likely correct

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, it absolutely is a pupating beetle. What kind I've no idea, but it's definitely not a cocoon.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, it absolutely is a pupating beetle. What kind I've no idea, but it's definitely not a cocoon.

There were a lot of them

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The beetles in the log are Bess beetles. They appear to be red, since they are newly hatched. Later they turn a glossy black.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/2864/bgimage

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Beetles doesn't make silk cocoons like butterflies and moths, but they sometimes make a pupal chamber of chewed up wood.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
That's so cool. We always have had a lot of those

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like the encyclopedic knowledge that gets dropped right after someone posts a pic of a mystery bug. is the thread full of professionals or just dudes who are really in to the hobby?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Blast of Confetti posted:

i like the encyclopedic knowledge that gets dropped right after someone posts a pic of a mystery bug. is the thread full of professionals or just dudes who are really in to the hobby?

It makes me want to go explore and find more!

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Pretty evenly distributed I believe. There's a few researchers and some hobbyists as well. I just like nature photography and try to learn as much as possible about my subjects.

Haven't been able to catch anything too interesting lately due to some crazy heat, but did come across an Osprey and a black vulture today. The Osprey seems to prefer a perch with the worst light imaginable which results in a pretty dull picture, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it's frog season

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah it's a mix of both. axolotl farmer is a professional entomologist. I used to work with insects (bumble bees, specifically) and once instructed invertebrate zoology labs. I think Slo-Tek is a hobbyist bug guy?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah it's a mix of both. axolotl farmer is a professional entomologist. I used to work with insects (bumble bees, specifically) and once instructed invertebrate zoology labs. I think Slo-Tek is a hobbyist bug guy?

Yeah Slo-Tek breeds moths. I'm in the "lifelong hobbyist" class. Moon Potato is a professional, too.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I'm a hobbyist herpetologist, but I've participated in a number of studies and projects and most of my closer friends are professionals.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

i wish i was a professional bug guy :smith:
you folk are living the dream

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

vaguely posted:

Yeah, me too :smith:

I don't do bug work anymore and am now in a dead end underpaid lab job

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

vaguely posted:

If I was going to go for an advanced degree it would almost certainly be entomology, but I don't know that there's too much opportunity to make a good living, especially if you're not looking to go into agriculture

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

truly this is not the best of all possible worlds

in critter news, i saw a butterfly doing a cool thing
https://twitter.com/PardosaAmentata/status/1026129392630726656
it was doing that for like a while

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

vaguely posted:

truly this is not the best of all possible worlds

in critter news, i saw a butterfly doing a cool thing
https://twitter.com/PardosaAmentata/status/1026129392630726656
it was doing that for like a while

ATTACK MY BUTT :butt:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

every time I try to take a picture of a dragonfly with my phone they are way too fast, this guy must’ve been real sleepy or something. who is he

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

free hubcaps posted:

every time I try to take a picture of a dragonfly with my phone they are way too fast, this guy must’ve been real sleepy or something. who is he

Where you at? Location helps.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

sorry, im in connecticut

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This spiky little patoot lives on my garbage wheely bin

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

i'm thinkiiiiiiing Araneus gemmoides?? cat faced spider, so called because the little bumps on its butt look kinda like cat ears :kimchi:
fuzzy buuuuuuutt

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Out at the art museum yesterday, and found a big momma Polyphemus chilling out on an art.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

This seems like a good place to ask: how would one go about preserving a recently-deceased butterfly? I found a dead Gulf fritillary (Agraulis vanillae) at the bottom of one of my bushes, and it's in excellent condition. I'd like to frame it if possible. Is there an easy-ish way to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

if you google "butterfly pinning" there are lots and lots and lots of tutorials
from the look of it you'd need to do it fast before the butterfly dries out too much
also be aware that if you have ever had carpet beetles, the larvae looooooove to munch on preserved insect collections (it's a big problem in natural history museums) so keep an eye out for those little dudes