Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Double Rabite posted:

How difficult are the jumpstarts? I've yet to try them since my teams are about 18 months out of date, but the rewards are just a little too tempting to pass up on.

Not that bad if yoi just use Tyro’s new divine grimoire as a rw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Double Rabite posted:

How difficult are the jumpstarts? I've yet to try them since my teams are about 18 months out of date, but the rewards are just a little too tempting to pass up on.

Obviously I have no clue what you have, but like Avalerion said, use Divine Veil Grimoire as your RW since you probably don't have that, it frees up a fuckton of spells slots (most/all of the fights do NOT have dispel), there were like 4-5 that i had trouble with, though I do have some really powerful SBs and was lucky enough to finish most of the old torments prior to them disappearing.

The FF2 ogre mage+red soul, FF4 sisters and FFXV fights are probably the hardest 3 imo, the other ones I pretty much blew through.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MF_James posted:

gently caress this seymour omnis fight, I can beat the 260 but not him
Bring along Hastega and Shellga for the inevitable rebuffs. As for your DPS, give all of them access to fire/ice and lightning/water. Any given vulnerability Seymour Omnis gets is coupled with resistance in the opposing element, but also a neutral status to adjacent elements in FF10's element square. So if you can't hit an ice weakness on the fire form, say, you can instead poke him with lightning or water without significant issue.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

NGDBSS posted:

Bring along Hastega and Shellga for the inevitable rebuffs. As for your DPS, give all of them access to fire/ice and lightning/water. Any given vulnerability Seymour Omnis gets is coupled with resistance in the opposing element, but also a neutral status to adjacent elements in FF10's element square. So if you can't hit an ice weakness on the fire form, say, you can instead poke him with lightning or water without significant issue.

Yeah, I've been trying that, I'm rolling OK, Bartz, Orleandu, Tidus, elarra, I think I should drop OK and bring a second healer; I'm just having issues timing shellga after the dispel.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

imho the best way to deal with Seymour is to load up on lightning damage and kill him before he switches to absorb that element, because that's always the last one on the wheel. If your lightning game is weak you can bring one of the others, but you'll have to deal with an immunity period. But it's generally just a good idea to stack one element.

Alternatively, like all bosses that change elements, if you have good imperils and/or chains you can just ignore the gimmick entirely and beat him up with wind, earth, dark, or holy damage.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

imho the best way to deal with Seymour is to load up on lightning damage and kill him before he switches to absorb that element, because that's always the last one on the wheel. If your lightning game is weak you can bring one of the others, but you'll have to deal with an immunity period. But it's generally just a good idea to stack one element.

Alternatively, like all bosses that change elements, if you have good imperils and/or chains you can just ignore the gimmick entirely and beat him up with wind, earth, dark, or holy damage.

Now that's an idea... maybe I'll just bring my wind team (cloud, zack, and probably vivi since I can't really keep up atk buffs)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MF_James posted:

Yeah, I've been trying that, I'm rolling OK, Bartz, Orleandu, Tidus, elarra, I think I should drop OK and bring a second healer; I'm just having issues timing shellga after the dispel.
Elarra USB? Or something else? Either way that should get you far. Otherwise what are you doing with OK and Orlandeau? OK is better for elemenal coverage with Black Mage abilities, but Orlandeau doesn't have a relevant focus there beyond his OSB. Keep in mind that Seymour Omnis triggers his barrier change after so many damaging abilities, so you want to maximize your damage per attack. Lifesiphon is crap except for a quick windup, and similarly Support breaks (as opposed to Dance breaks) are a poor idea.

IIRC I may have brought a healing BSB along just to have both slots open for rebuffing? I forget, but Seymour Omnis doesn't have amazing defenses for this stage of progression. With some DPS tweaks you can get him down somewhere in the third phase, so one rebuff can be covered by the inevitable Godwall RW.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

Elarra USB? Or something else? Either way that should get you far. Otherwise what are you doing with OK and Orlandeau? OK is better for elemenal coverage with Black Mage abilities, but Orlandeau doesn't have a relevant focus there beyond his OSB. Keep in mind that Seymour Omnis triggers his barrier change after so many damaging abilities, so you want to maximize your damage per attack. Lifesiphon is crap except for a quick windup, and similarly Support breaks (as opposed to Dance breaks) are a poor idea.

IIRC I may have brought a healing BSB along just to have both slots open for rebuffing? I forget, but Seymour Omnis doesn't have amazing defenses for this stage of progression. With some DPS tweaks you can get him down somewhere in the third phase, so one rebuff can be covered by the inevitable Godwall RW.

Yeah I have Elarra USB, lovely thing is the regen gets dispelled too so blehhh

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Wind team seems fine, I'll just alternate Divine Veil RWs with Rikku USB casts and I probably won't have much time without buffs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Protip for dispel fights is if you're bringing all your buffs in one SB like Tyro or Rikku, give them Powerchain so they can recast it during the dispel animation.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Woo thank you for the suggestions, took aphmau, elarra, zack, vivi and cloud; got a little scary in the last 5-8% because I ran out of hones for shellga and hastega but I used vivi's OSB and it finished him off before he dumped a chain on me while I was at half health with no shellga

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm trying the FFT torment 280 and I can't find a way to deal with slow spam. Affliction Break doesn't seem to be working. Should I bring 2 healers, 1 for Hastega spam and another to actually heal?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm trying the FFT torment 280 and I can't find a way to deal with slow spam. Affliction Break doesn't seem to be working. Should I bring 2 healers, 1 for Hastega spam and another to actually heal?

Have your healer carry Curada and Hastega. Someone else like Agrias can cast Shellga, which is all you should really need.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

Alternatively, like all bosses that change elements but don't have specific counters, use non-elemental to ignore the gimmick entirely. Less relic-reliant since you only need a few good NE attackers - a solid Monk with Lifebane and just about anyone else with Omega Drive will solve a lot of your problems.

It's not quite as effective as a solid chain-abuse strategy, but for A+/220 fights, it gets the job done with relatively little investment. The big thing is making sure you can re-up Shellga/Hastega after the dispels at that point.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ETB posted:

Have your healer carry Curada and Hastega. Someone else like Agrias can cast Shellga, which is all you should really need.

I got it. I forgot Slow resist accessories :doh:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'd err on poison then dark resist. The slow is easier to plan around if you can anticipate when you've changed phases.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

MF_James posted:

Obviously I have no clue what you have, but like Avalerion said, use Divine Veil Grimoire as your RW since you probably don't have that, it frees up a fuckton of spells slots (most/all of the fights do NOT have dispel), there were like 4-5 that i had trouble with, though I do have some really powerful SBs and was lucky enough to finish most of the old torments prior to them disappearing.

The FF2 ogre mage+red soul, FF4 sisters and FFXV fights are probably the hardest 3 imo, the other ones I pretty much blew through.

For gear, I have pretty good RS coverage. For SB's my most notable are Pencil's BSB and SSB, Clouds BSB and SSB, Old Wall, Old Shout, and some weak medicas. I have a lot of last years core 5* abilities at R3 for hones. I don't have any 6* gear and my only 6* ability is an R1 Curada. I am sitting on enough orb to maybe R3 another 5* ability if had too. I am actually worried that I won't have the damage for the battles.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Double Rabite posted:

For gear, I have pretty good RS coverage. For SB's my most notable are Pencil's BSB and SSB, Clouds BSB and SSB, Old Wall, Old Shout, and some weak medicas. I have a lot of last years core 5* abilities at R3 for hones. I don't have any 6* gear and my only 6* ability is an R1 Curada. I am sitting on enough orb to maybe R3 another 5* ability if had too. I am actually worried that I won't have the damage for the battles.

some of them aren't very hard, I couldn't even use all my SB charges before things were dead; like 200-400k HP.

If the FFV banners are still up I'd pull on that and see if you can get butz stuff, he can probably carry you through a bunch of them. Sadly they aren't

The water banner is good, you can get some good poo poo (Yuffie is a loving killer, I abused her and edge to no-brain clear a lot of stuff), The 6*s on the water banner rock, the rikku chain, Yuffie USB, Tidus USB, Paine USB, Yuffie's BSB2 is there for 5*s, I forget the others, I think edge BSB is there which is.. ok I guess better than nothing.

I'd give the JS's a shot, worst case you just waste time.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 10, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ETB posted:

I'd err on poison then dark resist. The slow is easier to plan around if you can anticipate when you've changed phases.

When I eventually try D??? I will probably try that. Slow is SO AGGRAVATING though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Torment status effects are auto-hit. Resistance gear and affliction break won't help, though astra will still block them. In this case it's best to just bring hastega.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Elephant Ambush posted:

When I eventually try D??? I will probably try that. Slow is SO AGGRAVATING though.

The Slowga is scripted, thankfully; Chuchu only does it to lead in to phase changes. Once you get a good rhythm for when those happen, you can load up your Hastega to go off right after it hits.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

Torment status effects are auto-hit. Resistance gear and affliction break won't help, though astra will. In this case it's best to just bring hastega.

it's pretty irritating that the enemies in every single mode follow dramatically different rules that render certain SBs/abilities/gear invaluable in one and worthless in another

gachas lol

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

Torment status effects are auto-hit. Resistance gear and affliction break won't help, though astra will still block them. In this case it's best to just bring hastega.

Well then I have no idea what happened after my first Hastega. He just died. Whatever. Good. gently caress him.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I feel like I should say at this point that if you're for whatever reason NOT doing Jump Starts, you will be pretty significantly behind and unable to catch up fully. Jump Starts are pretty drat easy and accessible in general (besides their high stamina cost) and are integral pieces in the puzzle of jumping up the difficulty ladder.

Get them done, they take like 30 IRL seconds and you only need one or two good DPS characters.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Definitely. Pretty much every fight that allows player RWs has been completely trivialized by Godwall. Even without Godwall, JS fights would be a joke because you can just poo poo out 15 soul breaks in a row.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

MF_James posted:

gently caress this seymour omnis fight, I can beat the 260 but not him
Go NE if you gotta, playing the shenanigans of matching four elemental weaknesses sucks. I took my water crew and lifesiphoned him until he was weak to water.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i just waited out the ice absorb phase and then kicked up rinoa's chain. adjust element to taste

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

Which Jumpstarts are easiest? I've been getting my rear end kicked by the few I've tried that weren't weak to the two elemental chains I actually have.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ceaselessfuture posted:

I feel like I should say at this point that if you're for whatever reason NOT doing Jump Starts, you will be pretty significantly behind and unable to catch up fully. Jump Starts are pretty drat easy and accessible in general (besides their high stamina cost) and are integral pieces in the puzzle of jumping up the difficulty ladder.

Get them done, they take like 30 IRL seconds and you only need one or two good DPS characters.

The problem is:

A surfing dog?! posted:

Which Jumpstarts are easiest? I've been getting my rear end kicked by the few I've tried that weren't weak to the two elemental chains I actually have.

I don't have a good DPS characters. Or, it's probably more accurate to say, I don't know how to set them up to be good DPS characters.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
One generic setup for jump starts would be one Shout-type buff, one healer to provide a little bit of mitigation, two physical DPS using elements that the boss is weak to or at least neutral, and a free spot - bring an imperil, a chain if you have one, a debuffer if you're worried about the incoming damage, another healer even. RW Cloud USB.

Have both DPS summon the RW turn one while you're getting buffed up, then use their best damaging SBs on turn 2. And again turn 3. It's likely that the boss is dead at this point, or very nearly so.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

So my gear is just too terrible to handle them at this point then, got it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Same here. I don't have any Level 99 characters, upgraded gear, or skills like Shout. Oh well.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
If you're new, you're new :(

:rip:

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

A surfing dog?! posted:

So my gear is just too terrible to handle them at this point then, got it.

Kheldarn posted:

Same here. I don't have any Level 99 characters, upgraded gear, or skills like Shout. Oh well.

ceaselessfuture posted:

If you're new, you're new :(

:rip:

Don't underestimate yourself. I started just over a month ago and I've managed three or four of them, and I'm on the verge of a few more, though I probably won't finish them before they're gone forever.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

I'll give the ones I haven't tried yet a shot and hope that I just picked ones that are too difficult for the elements I currently have gear for.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah. People talk up how "easy" JSBs are now, and for endgamers that's true even of the tricky ones, but some are definitely easier than others. I honestly wish I could recall which ones to point y'all toward.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's not going to be as helpful as pointing out the easiest ones but i think someone earlier mentioned the hardest ones are: red soul in ff2, the three sisters in ff4, and the ff15 one. as someone who's more or less stacked to the nines and did the former two just today i'm pretty sure it's accurate

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Red Soul is hard even if you have the kit that's supposed to make it easy (Maria's good poo poo, basically). It still feels really overtuned for a lot of reasons, including that for most people FF2 is one of their worst realms because it's an unpopular game, it's largely excluded from luckies and event banners, and most of the characters from it are really mediocre outside of FF2 synergy dungeons.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yoooo what's up with the FF12 torment? An 80% AoE right off the bat and a 7k attack to the middle character all before a healing SB can possibly go off.

What are you supposed to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

NinjaDebugger posted:

Don't underestimate yourself. I started just over a month ago and I've managed three or four of them, and I'm on the verge of a few more, though I probably won't finish them before they're gone forever.

Thanks for the bit of inspiration. I just did the FF3 ones I was hesitant to do because of my weak RS, but they weren't too bad. I only had to reset once because of an unlucky petrify at the start.