Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I had a great moment a couple days ago where I shot a guy in a church bell tower with my uppercut and he fell out like it was a scene from a movie. This is a very cool game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

dtkozl posted:

I had a great moment a couple days ago where I shot a guy in a church bell tower with my uppercut and he fell out like it was a scene from a movie. This is a very cool game.

Sometimes they forget about the explosive barrels which sometimes spawn up there too.

:getin:

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
I have quite a few hours in this game (don't remember exact # but I'm BL100) and I've never seen anyone in the tower in Blanchett or Healing Waters. The only time I go into the tower on either is to sneak into the building. I feel like trying to snipe out of either of those spots is a recipe for getting murderized by someone you don't see...

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

AbsoluteLlama posted:

I have quite a few hours in this game (don't remember exact # but I'm BL100) and I've never seen anyone in the tower in Blanchett or Healing Waters. The only time I go into the tower on either is to sneak into the building. I feel like trying to snipe out of either of those spots is a recipe for getting murderized by someone you don't see...

If you dont actually stand in the window and hang back at an angle in the shadow you are really hard to see, Ive had great luck sniping from there.

I now check it like crazy though :tinfoil:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

AbsoluteLlama posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKWT12Hehgg

If you have the right gun, the right weather, and a partner watching your back / church courtyard area it's pretty cool. You basically put everyone else out of effective range - a Sparks sniper or Mosin sniper from an unseen treeline would 100% piss in your cheerios though.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Been trying the free weekend and I am enjoying it but good god is this games UI/menu system bad and man is there no tutorial and holy gently caress am I confused. Some questions:

-Are the weapons hitscan or projectile (i.e. do I have to lead my shots at range)?
-What the heck is dark vision? I realize that it shows the location of hints, and it also seems to show lightning over enemies who have collected a bounty? Why?
-How does the whole bounty system even work? I have found a boss monster but never killed it, but when other people do there is a slow progression in the top left of the screen as they are "banishing"... what?
-When should I extract? Currently I never have because I die. I am not sure when I should lick my wounds and just get out of dodge...

I really like the atmosphere and more methodical gameplay and am looking forward to the free weekend :)

edit: I checked the OP and second post and couldn't find this info there but maybe i missed it?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 11, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Knifegrab posted:

Been trying the free weekend and I am enjoying it but good god is this games UI/menu system bad and man is there no tutorial and holy gently caress am I confused. Some questions:

-Are the weapons hitscan or projectile (i.e. do I have to lead my shots at range)?
-What the heck is dark vision? I realize that it shows the location of hints, and it also seems to show lightning over enemies who have collected a bounty? Why?
-How does the whole bounty system even work? I have found a boss monster but never killed it, but when other people do there is a slow progression in the top left of the screen as they are "banishing"... what?
-When should I extract? Currently I never have because I die. I am not sure when I should lick my wounds and just get out of dodge...

I really like the atmosphere and more methodical gameplay and am looking forward to the free weekend :)

edit: I checked the OP and second post and couldn't find this info there but maybe i missed it?

1) Not sure.
2) So you can kill them and get the bounty for yourself. Nobody gonna know if you did the dirty work, long as you return with the butcher's head.
3) Banishing is the process of sending a monster to hell to get the bounty. It's also shown on the map. It's a big flag to other hunters that THESE GUYS BURNED RESOURCES KILLING A BADDIE, KILL THEM AND TAKE THE EFFORTS OF THEIR HARD WORK.
4) Once you have a bounty, run to extraction. If all the bounties are collected, go to extraction anyway. Better your dude lives and you on't have to pay for him again.

Do we have a discord yet? e: we do https://discordapp.com/invite/AvqGFbM

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Knifegrab posted:

Been trying the free weekend and I am enjoying it but good god is this games UI/menu system bad and man is there no tutorial and holy gently caress am I confused.

did you maybe try hitting the button on the main menu that says Tutorial?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rysithusiku posted:

did you maybe try hitting the button on the main menu that says Tutorial?

Just watched it, and unfortunately it only answers some of my questions.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Bogart answered most of these so I'll just answer the first one: you do have to lead your shots if someone is sprinting or is very far off.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Thanks guys. Is there anyway to cancel a melee attack once your have it charged and ready?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Switch weapons.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Tonight I learned that throwing knives can kill the butcher with a headshot while they're still over half health remaining. Is this right or did I get absurdly lucky with a bug?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If it is, don’t let it spread. Last thing we need is pub stars running around with knives and dusters trying to ninja their way through the bayou

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Am I missing something regarding graphic settings? In game there appears to only be three general settings. Been a long time since a game has made me fart around in .ini files.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Finally got to sit down and play a match. Pure luck, but shiiiiiiit it was intense :aaaaa:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I am now 1.2K richer than when I started. Game is good.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Am I missing something regarding graphic settings? In game there appears to only be three general settings. Been a long time since a game has made me fart around in .ini files.

The entire point of only having low, medium, and high presets is to preserve game balance. If people can turn off or way down things like shadows and particle effects they have a huge advantage over everyone else. Digital Foundry recently did a video on the graphical features of this game and touched on that specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgbccwpSq30

Also, .ini tweaks stopped working during the closed alpha and that hasn't changed since then AFAIK.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 11, 2018

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Knifegrab posted:

Weapons are not hitscan, you need to lead targets. I've only noticed this really being important at very long range. Blasting fools with a shotgun up close is much more fun anyway.

They really nailed the sound work in this. There is a twig snap sound that gets me jumping every time. Last game I was snooping around some bushes stalking some german players talking on voice, managed to step on something that snapped that twig, they start shouting and shooting as we all dive into the cornfield. Nobody can really see poo poo and we are all just blasting away. Eventually we all stop shooting at each other and everyone sneaks away. The hipfire aim -> iron sights felt kind of sloppy at first but now I think I like it, as it leads to the gunfights being a bit more lengthy.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 11, 2018

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
https://www.huntshowdown.com/news/inside-hunt-s-weapon-system-with-david-west

A good link for how the guns work in the game. Important thing is they are projectile so you have to lead targets as already said, but they don't have bullet drop so you never need to worry about that. Also learn the different audio cues for things like headshot and killing a guy. Also I think you bullet disappears after 300 meters but you will almost never engage at that range.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Can fusees light player bodies on fire?

Captain Beans posted:

The hipfire aim -> iron sights felt kind of sloppy at first but now I think I like it, as it leads to the gunfights being a bit more lengthy.

I started off not enjoying it at all, but after I switched it to hold and release instead of toggle and I started killing dudes, then I fell in love with it.

I'm still total poo poo at looking down scopes and getting shots to land on target though, but I figure that'll just take time.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

dtkozl posted:

https://www.huntshowdown.com/news/inside-hunt-s-weapon-system-with-david-west

A good link for how the guns work in the game. Important thing is they are projectile so you have to lead targets as already said, but they don't have bullet drop so you never need to worry about that. Also learn the different audio cues for things like headshot and killing a guy. Also I think you bullet disappears after 300 meters but you will almost never engage at that range.

Basically this. It's kind of hard to get used to leading at long distances since bullet speed depends on the gun. Realistically at a long distance it's only medium and rifle ammo to remember though.

Also some ammo can shoot through trees. If someone runs behind a tree to heal you can totally just blast them away with an uppercut right through the tree.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Game is good

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Knifegrab posted:

Game is good

This makes me wonder if there's really any incentive to kill other players other than "ha ha take that random person!".

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sure there is. You get lots of XP and Bayou Bucks for killing other players.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Capn Beeb posted:

This makes me wonder if there's really any incentive to kill other players other than "ha ha take that random person!".

What does this post even mean. Other players can and will kill you, killing them first is self preservation. Plus then you get a completely stress free extract.

There are tons and tons of reasons to kill other players other than dunking on nerds.

Do you play this game when weird rules of engagement? Do you think that somehow makes you more honorable? "Now I won't shoot unless you shoot me first".

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Capn Beeb posted:

you steal their wallets and you can sing them the menu music over their corpse through voice chat

"HMMM uh HMMMM ah HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 12, 2018

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah it's not like killing other players is even like, griefing or anything either, since you're explicitly enemies.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
Also, if you clear the map of other players, you can do a victory XP farming lap around the map, slaying every monster you see.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Varkas posted:

Also, if you clear the map of other players, you can do a victory XP farming lap around the map, slaying every monster you see.

Then as you extract, the lone tier 1 hunter who has been laying in wait the entire game springs his trap.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

Then as you extract, the lone tier 1 hunter who has been laying in wait the entire game springs his trap.

If you confirm eight kills this is impossible.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Been playing on the free weekend, this game is great.

Also, this is some true detective poo poo right here

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
sweet god where is that

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Bogart posted:

sweet god where is that

Somewhere in Port Beeker

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

AndyElusive posted:

That was how I scored yesterday, although it wasn't so much a trap as it was see lightning in DS/run at it from where I was wandering /luck into one unaware hunter and kill him/bounty runs by a minute later and didn't see me. I'll still take it.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
Usually my plans don't work out so well as in this clip.

I was working on the spider when I hear a ruckus back at the ranch...

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Varkas posted:

Usually my plans don't work out so well as in this clip.

I was working on the spider when I hear a ruckus back at the ranch...

:lol: @ the 13 year old I love it

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
That's a good reason you always want to maintain some distance with your partner. It is way too easy to get surprised by a grenade or a stick and then you're done.

It's also a good demonstration of why you really don't want to rely on crouching and stealth too much, especially if you're using tier 1 hunters wearing bright rear end white shirts.

Reducing the range on explosive throws was a good call by the devs because you used to be able to launch those things to the moon.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh man, this game is great. Played it solo a couple times last night and had a good enough time, but tonight I got my brother to install and that went pretty drat well. Slaughtered a pair who'd just killed the Spider, then entrapped the surrounding area with lanterns as the banishing went on. Managed to kill an attacking duo despite both of us going down at separate points, still not great at the actual shooting, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I've been playing around with the Mosin sniper in an attempt to improve my long game.

I came across two dudes in the church courtyard while I was in the bell tower - that was easy pickings. The Butcher is now being banished at Stillwater and I don't have time to assault them underneath. I post up in one of the sniper towers south of the compound and see them dart east. I squeeze off a couple ineffective shots as they run south to the SE catfish grove extraction.

So I dart south as quick as I can. I'm north of the Catfish "lake" and have a narrow and extremely long distance shot at the extraction boat. One of the bounty dudes, while he is extracting, takes his time to line up a zombie shot. I pop his head.

His buddy starts dancing around and I can see him looking my direction, but I don't think he could make me out from that range. I just wait patiently for about 4-5 minutes without shooting. Finally the guy bends down to pick his buddy up.

I'd like to think sometime much later a solo guy cautiously approached the extraction point, and saw two bodies and one bounty lying there neatly for him to loot. :getin: