Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I would be fine with it if it really was occasionally but it feels like very episode has some 8 minute Mike sequence where he stares at a gas cap. Maybe it wouldn't sting as much on a binge without a year wait between episodes. I really like the Jimmy parts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
It's entertaining when people gripe about how the separate story lines don't have anything to do with each other or scenes are "endless" and "go nowhere"

....like, really? Have you seen the whole season already and we haven't? Are you one of the writers?

One of the best parts about this writing team both in this show and on Breaking Bad is how well they think through everything they show on screen, and how everything has a purpose. This show is a character study, and you have to spend time with characters to get a feel for their journey. If you're watching this on a surface level, then I can understand why you might find some of it boring, but those of us who actually pay attention closely are able to derive subtle things that are very rewarding. Give it a try!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Colonel Whitey posted:

The fact that this show takes its time every so often to slow down and give us a gorgeously cinematic montage of Mike just being good at what he does is one of the small pleasures that elevates it beyond most other tv shows. If that kind of thing isn’t your bag then yeah, I have no clue why you’re still watching this show.
For me, that kind of thing is my jam and I love Mike's montages and would put them above basically every other show I watch.

Its Mike's story as a whole that doesn't always feel relevant to me, though at least in this episode you could argue a parallel between, say, Mike stealing an ID and using it with swagger as a contrast to Gene nervously having his fake driver's license or whatever checked by the nurse in the beginning prologue.

I should go back through season 2 and 3 sometimes, there might be more parallels. If there are more moments of Mike's story thematically commenting on Jimmy's like that, it would help my biggest issue with the show.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

AwkwardKnob posted:

It's entertaining when people gripe about how the separate story lines don't have anything to do with each other or scenes are "endless" and "go nowhere"

....like, really? Have you seen the whole season already and we haven't? Are you one of the writers?

One of the best parts about this writing team both in this show and on Breaking Bad is how well they think through everything they show on screen, and how everything has a purpose. This show is a character study, and you have to spend time with characters to get a feel for their journey. If you're watching this on a surface level, then I can understand why you might find some of it boring, but those of us who actually pay attention closely are able to derive subtle things that are very rewarding. Give it a try!

I very much enjoy the Mike montages, and his parts of the show in general, but his plot thread that spun up at the beginning of Season 2 genuinely has had little to do with Jimmy's plot thread. I would watch both of these shows, but I'm skeptical that they're one show together.

They'll bring them into each other's lives again, obviously, but if you think they're plotting this out three seasons in advance then you haven't been listening to the podcast.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Colonel Whitey posted:

The fact that this show takes its time every so often to slow down and give us a gorgeously cinematic montage of Mike just being good at what he does is one of the small pleasures that elevates it beyond most other tv shows. If that kind of thing isn’t your bag then yeah, I have no clue why you’re still watching this show.

Agreed. The Mike doing Mike poo poo is some really good visual storytelling.

AwkwardKnob posted:

Agree again and pointed out a lot of other really excellent shows that do this sort of thing. HBO shows are sort of famous for it and I had even forgotten about Six Feet Under. Like I said, I think the writers know that the viewers already know the conclusions for the most part so they don't really have to write it that way. BCS works for me. Just wish I had some way to watch it now since I have no cable. Watched the previous seasons on Netflix but that's gonna take a while.

EDIT:

I was holding out hope that Chuck's space blankets saved him from the fire.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 10, 2018

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

EDIT:

They would have made him a baked potato.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

They should make more of these, just to keep themselves grounded and remind themselves of where they're headed thematically. Even if just as an exercise.

I wanted to post the 'No suit is too large, no fee is too large' clip but search failed me, or I failed search, more like it.

It's interesting that the Mike montages really split the crowd here. I enjoy them, something different is always welcomed imo.

Gas cap pay offs and all that.

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

MiddleOne posted:

Breaking Bad is better because in that show Mike dies instead of having endless pointless scenes which go nowhere interesting.

gently caress that, I love the slow pace there where we can just see Mike doing his thing.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

spiderbyte posted:

gently caress that, I love the slow pace there where we can just see Mike doing his thing.

I like how Mike is another foil for Jimmy. Both of them are very smart, driven, principled guys, but they have totally opposite approaches. Jimmy/Saul is 110% in-the-moment razzle-dazzle showmanship, seeking to constantly misdirect, confuse, and mislead his targets into reeling out enough rope for hanging. While Mike is so relentlessly, methodically deliberate and nakedly honest about exactly what he's doing, why he's doing it, and how it will happen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LeJackal posted:

I like how Mike is another foil for Jimmy. Both of them are very smart, driven, principled guys, but they have totally opposite approaches. Jimmy/Saul is 110% in-the-moment razzle-dazzle showmanship, seeking to constantly misdirect, confuse, and mislead his targets into reeling out enough rope for hanging. While Mike is so relentlessly, methodically deliberate and nakedly honest about exactly what he's doing, why he's doing it, and how it will happen.

I really, really want to see Mike and Saul truly teaming up for some poo poo. Maybe Mike can't continue because his employer (Gus) needs him to be closer or more focused. That's how Saul learns of Gus. Maybe? I'd take it.

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really, really want to see Mike and Saul truly teaming up for some poo poo. Maybe Mike can't continue because his employer (Gus) needs him to be closer or more focused. That's how Saul learns of Gus. Maybe? I'd take it.

Does Saul actually know Gus before BB? We know that he knows of him through Mike, but does he actually know who he is before Walt gets involved?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

spiderbyte posted:

Does Saul actually know Gus before BB? We know that he knows of him through Mike, but does he actually know who he is before Walt gets involved?

As best as we can tell, no; at best, Saul knows of Gus and knows that he moves meth, but he probably doesn't know his identity.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Right, when Walt comes to him asking how to move more meth at once after Tuco is gone, Saul says 'he knows a guy who knows a guy' which they've retconned into meaning he knows Mike works for a larger distributor. Remember Mike's whole character was made up during production when Bob wasn't available to film the scene with Jesse after Jane OD'd so they invented the 'cleaner' character. However as late as season 3 he still thinks of Mike as 'his' CI, which seems to imply he doesn't know just how involved Mike is.

Having said all that, he also knows enough to throw out the names Nacho and Lilo when stood up over a hole in the desert so he's at least on the periphery of the Salamanca distro network. I believe we're going to meet Lilo this season so I'm sure a lot of this will be explained in the coming weeks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

The wrongest take :(

Honestly I can see people not liking how slow and methodical BCS is, but I equally can't imagine why that same person would still be watching this show now 4 seasons in to slow and methodical storytelling. Like haha how is that a thing like just go outside man haha. At this point I'd happily watch Jonathan Banks tie his shoes for 10 minutes just to watch the actor work.

Because on one side, we have the story of Saul became Saul which is genuinely gripping, well plotted and that delivers huge payouts to its slow story-telling. Then on the other side we have the almost now completely unrelated show about how Mike is the best guy ever and oh wow isn't Mike cool here please watch another scene with Mike.

They're not doing anything interesting with him. The story of how Mike came to be working for Gus is not one that needed to be told if this is all it is. It's just spinning in its wheels and repeating the things we could already kinda imagine happened from watching Breaking Bad. It doesn't fit in this story and it doesn't improve upon season 3 and 4 of Breaking Bad either. If you haven't watched Breaking Bad I'd imagine it's even worse because again, very little of what Mike does has anything to do with the fall of Jimmy.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah I loved how Mike pranked his granddaughter (with the garden hose) before 'going to work' and pranking Madrigal's warehouse.

Also, a couple of weeks ago at work one of the service techs was wearing a bright orange hi-viz shirt with reflective stripes on it, black pants and steel toes and we were talking about how he could easily walk into any building.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The only real problem I have with the pacing is how they keep kind of teasing Jimmy going full-on Saul then reeling him back in. From the previews of this season it looks like we're in for more anguished soul-searching, [plus he can't even practice law at this point]. I like the Jimmy story the best when he's doing something kind of ridiculous and barely getting away with it, like the billboard or when he was trying to get fired. I didn't like the full on cheating with the address change and the resulting guilt/drama.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MiddleOne posted:

Because on one side, we have the story of Saul became Saul which is genuinely gripping, well plotted and that delivers huge payouts to its slow story-telling. Then on the other side we have the almost now completely unrelated show about how Mike is the best guy ever and oh wow isn't Mike cool here please watch another scene with Mike.

They're not doing anything interesting with him. The story of how Mike came to be working for Gus is not one that needed to be told if this is all it is. It's just spinning in its wheels and repeating the things we could already kinda imagine happened from watching Breaking Bad. It doesn't fit in this story and it doesn't improve upon season 3 and 4 of Breaking Bad either. If you haven't watched Breaking Bad I'd imagine it's even worse because again, very little of what Mike does has anything to do with the fall of Jimmy.
As fun as it is to watch Mike be Mike, it does kind of feel a little shallow in that it's a hyper-competent protagonist making crime fun and being a cool guy. Kaylee and Stacy are both around and on good terms with Mike as of Breaking Bad, and those two are really all he has, so there isn't that fear of there being consequences, externally or particularly internally, as Mike gets deeper and deeper into this game.
With Jimmy there's so many possibilities as to where he can go and the kind of person he'll be inside and the life he'll be living when he opens that strip mall office. Mike's basically where he is at the start of Breaking Bad, except with a lower body count.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

BiggerBoat posted:

Agree again and pointed out a lot of other really excellent shows that do this sort of thing. HBO shows are sort of famous for it and I had even forgotten about Six Feet Under. Like I said, I think the writers know that the viewers already know the conclusions for the most part so they don't really have to write it that way. BCS works for me. Just wish I had some way to watch it now since I have no cable. Watched the previous seasons on Netflix but that's gonna take a while.

EDIT:

AMC makes each episode available on their website for 30 days free with no login. There are ads but for us non cable havers it'll do.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nail Rat posted:

AMC makes each episode available on their website for 30 days free with no login. There are ads but for us non cable havers it'll do.

It’s on Netflix for some countries in Europe. Mine says E2 comes out on the 14th so it looks like there’s no delay either.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Thankfully it's on Netflix here. It's actually one of the reasons I have Netflix, to be honest.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kaylee and Stacy are both around and on good terms with Mike as of Breaking Bad, and those two are really all he has, so there isn't that fear of there being consequences, externally or particularly internally, as Mike gets deeper and deeper into this game.

This isn't how I remember those scenes. Mike was watching over Kaylee but it didn't look like Stacy was particularly thrilled about it, her demeanor toward him was pretty icy.

I'd have to watch again though, it's possible I'm nisremembering.

Also Mike's granddaughter has got to be the biggest continuity issue between both shows, she looked older in the season 4 scene than I remember the character being in Breaking Bad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Also Mike's granddaughter has got to be the biggest continuity issue between both shows

Eh. Someone realized something during the early filming of the first season of BCS, because in the first few episodes Odenkirk (as Jimmy, not Gene) looks like he's aged 20 years since shooting Breaking Bad, and then all of a sudden they've got him all babyfaced and looking appropriately young. Unicorn blood or something, I suppose.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Timby posted:

Eh. Someone realized something during the early filming of the first season of BCS, because in the first few episodes Odenkirk (as Jimmy, not Gene) looks like he's aged 20 years since shooting Breaking Bad, and then all of a sudden they've got him all babyfaced and looking appropriately young. Unicorn blood or something, I suppose.

If only they used that same kind of makeup on Gus’ actor.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
How many of you watched Homicide? It's quite a trip going from "Al Giardelo's son" to "meth king". Oh and yeah that one episode of Community.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ElwoodCuse posted:

How many of you watched Homicide? It's quite a trip going from "Al Giardelo's son" to "meth king". Oh and yeah that one episode of Community.

Giancarlo Esposito has always been great in other roles. I think I knew him best as Giardello's son, Buggin' Out from Do The Right Thing and the stylish detective from The Usual Suspects but I'm really glad that he got an iconic role like Gus. You can tell it's a ball to play and I'm glad he got some recognition for it.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I'm not that familiar with archaic banking, what happens with Howard's money if the cheque for $3 million got burned in the fire ? Is there any other document at the bank's side that recorded the payment ?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

CeeJee posted:

I'm not that familiar with archaic banking, what happens with Howard's money if the cheque for $3 million got burned in the fire ? Is there any other document at the bank's side that recorded the payment ?

IANAL but I think that unless Chuck deposited the check there would be no record of Howard having written the check (unless Howard recorded it). I don't know how rich people bank accounts work, but when I write a check to my landlord I don't have to "get permission" from my bank before hand or to explicitly set aside the money. It just gets deposited and money is withdrawn from my account, and if there's a mistake my recourse is to challenge it after the fact. I'm guessing with a $3M transaction the bank would probably want to verify it was legit first, but they'd only do that if it was deposited.

Also as far as I remember, that $3M was Howard's own money, not the firm's. I think he also mentioned that he'd write him additional checks later down the line to fulfill some legal agreement. It could be possible that Chuck's estate (not sure if that's the right term) would want to go after that money if it was a legal agreement, but at the same time Chuck officially "retired" so I'm not sure if he would be entitled to it anymore. Kinda like if you quit a job then you don't qualify for benefits but if you were laid off you do.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I genuinely do not understand why people are complaining about the Mike and Gus scenes. Are you not entertained? You're seriously saying you're not interested in what's happening? I like to consider myself pretty good at being empathetic with other peoples' opinions, but I got nothing here. Y'all bonkers.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Finally watched the episode, was waiting for the payoff, and the payoff was fantastic. Came to thread, saw people enjoying it and saw people complaining about what the show is. So, okay, how about it's 2 shows and they're both really good? That's what it feels like to me anyway.

So Gus mentioned the DEA. What are the chances we see Hank before the season ends?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
This is an amazing show but the one thing that’s getting to me is the lack of attention to period detail. I know it’s not that far in the past but certain things stick out:

-The guy mike stole the badge from drives a contemporary crossover with led taillights, probably a BMW or Mercedes from the roofline. LED lighting did exist for cars at that point but crossovers largely didn’t.

-The cut of the suits is very contemporary and not really what people were wearing in 2001; see Howard’s contrasting collar- much more recently in fashion and not something you would have seen back then. See late run Frasier for the kind of boxiness that was still in vogue at that time.

-That IKEA backsplash that’s showing up in a lot of tv, and people’s current irl homes.

There’s more anachronistic details if you’re looking for them- it’s a great show but this one aspect feels somewhat sloppily done. It doesn’t seem far enough back in time to have to worry about these details since it’s our living memory, but that’s precisely what makes it so jarring.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mario death mask posted:

This is an amazing show but the one thing that’s getting to me is the lack of attention to period detail. I know it’s not that far in the past but certain things stick out:

-The guy mike stole the badge from drives a contemporary crossover with led taillights, probably a BMW or Mercedes from the roofline. LED lighting did exist for cars at that point but crossovers largely didn’t.

-The cut of the suits is very contemporary and not really what people were wearing in 2001; see Howard’s contrasting collar- much more recently in fashion and not something you would have seen back then. See late run Frasier for the kind of boxiness that was still in vogue at that time.

-That IKEA backsplash that’s showing up in a lot of tv, and people’s current irl homes.

There’s more anachronistic details if you’re looking for them- it’s a great show but this one aspect feels somewhat sloppily done. It doesn’t seem far enough back in time to have to worry about these details since it’s our living memory, but that’s precisely what makes it so jarring.

I hope somebody got fired for this blunder

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I genuinely do not understand why people are complaining about the Mike and Gus scenes. Are you not entertained?

Yes.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

IANAL but I think that unless Chuck deposited the check there would be no record of Howard having written the check (unless Howard recorded it). I don't know how rich people bank accounts work, but when I write a check to my landlord I don't have to "get permission" from my bank before hand or to explicitly set aside the money. It just gets deposited and money is withdrawn from my account, and if there's a mistake my recourse is to challenge it after the fact. I'm guessing with a $3M transaction the bank would probably want to verify it was legit first, but they'd only do that if it was deposited.

Also as far as I remember, that $3M was Howard's own money, not the firm's. I think he also mentioned that he'd write him additional checks later down the line to fulfill some legal agreement. It could be possible that Chuck's estate (not sure if that's the right term) would want to go after that money if it was a legal agreement, but at the same time Chuck officially "retired" so I'm not sure if he would be entitled to it anymore. Kinda like if you quit a job then you don't qualify for benefits but if you were laid off you do.

I am hoping that part of this season was going to have a will caveat where Jimmy decides to try to invalidate Chuck's will (which would have left nothing to Jimmy.) It's another moment for Jimmy to become Saul. It gives Jimmy seed money to become Saul. Then this can bring us back to Jimmy trying to get that sweet HHM money from Howard. Jimmy can't practice law, however he can still represent himself on all this.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Howard was buying Chuck out of the company. He will have to either pay that money to Chuck's estate, or the estate will retain co-ownership of HHM.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Mario death mask posted:

:spergin:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mario death mask posted:

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 12, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

LesterGroans posted:

Buggin' Out from Do The Right Thing
This is the one that surprised me the most.The performances are so different that I straight up did not believe they were the same actor at first.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ElwoodCuse posted:

He doesn't have a ton to do in Homicide: The Movie (since they tried to give a scene to basically every character from the series and cram it into a 90-minute TV movie), but the bit where he's standing on the balcony of the precinct building (really the Recreation Pier, which is now a luxury hotel), Lewis steps out from the Waterfront and is standing on Thames Street, then Lewis catches his eye, taps his heart and Mike Giardello acknowledges it with the weakest, most hurtful nod ... it's a wonderful piece of acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzVPCSao5wY&t=4817s

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m fine with most of the Mike stuff. The Gus/Cartel stuff is boring though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m fine with most of the Mike stuff. The Gus/Cartel stuff is boring though. GREAT!

I agree wholeheartedly.