Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Not really, no.

Compensation needs to be fixed, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Over 70,000 athletes play football. 250ish get drafted to the NFL. I think they’re doing so for more reasons than training for the NFL.

I don’t think the 70,000 are all so stupid that they don’t know their odds.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

mlmp08 posted:

Over 70,000 athletes play football. 250ish get drafted to the NFL. I think they’re doing so for more reasons than training for the NFL.

People play the lottery all the time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mlmp08 posted:

As someone who teaches / has taught college football players, I'm willing to bet it's a majority of them that think they can make it, at least in the first 2 years.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Meh, I chalk some of that up to bravado and saving face. Everyone’s had that soldier in the army or coworker who would be in the NFL or on a full ride to Yale or whatever if not for [vague reason that’s not their fault]

E: and playing the lottery is super easy. Getting into and then sticking with college sports isn’t.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Soulex posted:

Fandom is a large driving force. College football is massive in the south. Many schools are considered for athletic programs and not as much for academia in these regards. The "weight" of their degree pales in comparison to the experience of being there. That is big for fans. The live experience is a large driving force for fandom in general. Some other forces deal with the sense of community or the location of the university.

I can't comprehend how anyone can write this and not recognize it is a bad thing. Soulex, I get that you're steeped in a subculture that is devoted to the pageantry of college football, but do you really think what you describe is in any way what a university is supposed to be?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I didn’t attend my university for sports reasons, but the beauty of the campus, reputation for having cool cultural events, ethnic food, live music, parties, etc all definitely played a part. One could argue that’s stupid, but meh?

College athletics could use reform but saying they’re bad outright is off to me. Also I get supremely annoyed by STEM nerds who swear up and down that literally nothing but STEM and business school is worth a poo poo. These same nerds seem to get mad at sports for some reason, just can’t put my finger on it...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The NCAA effectively operates as a cartel. Yeah in something like football where corruption is rampant I guess maybe it's a good thing, but getting drug tested for caffeine before a track meet because they arbitrarily decided it was a PED was one of the stupider experiences I had as a college athlete.

mlmp08 posted:

Also I get supremely annoyed by STEM nerds who swear up and down that literally nothing but STEM and business school is worth a poo poo. These same nerds seem to get mad at sports for some reason, just can’t put my finger on it...

GiP went through this phase in like 2011-2012 when anyone who wasn't a STEM major got shouted out of the academics thread.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 12, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm a STEM major, but I'm also an avid supporter of Arts, Language, and History, etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mlmp08 posted:

Meh, I chalk some of that up to bravado and saving face. Everyone’s had that soldier in the army or coworker who would be in the NFL or on a full ride to Yale or whatever if not for [vague reason that’s not their fault]

E: and playing the lottery is super easy. Getting into and then sticking with college sports isn’t.

Yeah that's fair. Also I'm in STEM but will be the first to argue that college should be well more than a tech training campus.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I don't think anyone has said that colleges should be STEM-exclusive and not also offer non-academic enrichment? The conversation has been entirely around the excessive and outright harmful role of college football at many schools.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
education is bougie, all the training you need is farming

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Hot Karl Marx posted:

education is bougie, all the training you need is farming

There's online courses for that too!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I swear I'm going to answer the German call of destiny some day and grab one of those.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
College Football still has to answer for Joe Paterno.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

bird food bathtub posted:

College Football still has to answer for Joe Paterno.

Abolish Penn State.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I was just googling for a documentary on the scandal and saw they made a movie about him starring Al Pacino. After watching Gotti, I'm scared to check it out out of fear of blind rage if they glorify the dude and sweep everything bad under the rug.

I think I'm gonna watch Happy Valley first

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Flikken posted:

Abolish Penn State.

For real. It's not like Sandusky was initially reported to the head of the NCAA. It was discussed at the highest level of Penn State leadership, though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I swear I'm going to answer the German call of destiny some day and grab one of those.

I'm like, a quarter german, and that's installed on my xbox. 2015 is on my fire tablet.

It's nothing like real american farming. No droughts, no auger accidents, no kids drowning in hoppers full of grain. But it passes the time.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

If I can't get limbs degloved on a PTO, that's a dealbreaker :colbert:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Egypt is banning talking about the weather.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/30/egypt-crackdown-fake-weather-reports-meteorological-association

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

College football specifically is kind of an overgrown monster but holy poo poo at the " :goonsay: sports are bad guys" going on in this thread.

Like why would you expect them to make money? Providing athletics programs is something that attracts people to the school because they want to participate in athletics.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

mlmp08 posted:

I didn’t attend my university for sports reasons, but the beauty of the campus, reputation for having cool cultural events, ethnic food, live music, parties, etc all definitely played a part. One could argue that’s stupid, but meh?

College athletics could use reform but saying they’re bad outright is off to me. Also I get supremely annoyed by STEM nerds who swear up and down that literally nothing but STEM and business school is worth a poo poo. These same nerds seem to get mad at sports for some reason, just can’t put my finger on it...

It's not like Humanities and Social Sciences aren't the ones that take the hit over STEM though. College athletics aren't bad but the state they're in is so far over that any meaningful change is gonna be like chopping off a limb.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

All this makes me glad I went to a highly respected school with cruddy athletics

I went to a mediocre state school with mediocre athletics that everyone went nuts for anyway because it's the only school in the state with athletics worth mentioning. Because ROTC was my only chance for going through school without debt. I should have just taken the debt.

mlmp08 posted:

I have a liberal arts degree and a science degree and the NCAA needs to be burned to the ground.

That Works posted:

I love football but college athletics are a horribly broken thing that needs to die. While I was at U Texas the athletic Dept recorded an all time profit record for schools nationwide, bringing in over $220m and we're doing a $6m renovation to the football stadium.

Meanwhile we were in our 2nd of a 3 yr long hiring and wages freeze because the school budget was hosed (repercussions of the 2008 crash).

The college football experience is really neat and a very unique thing. But drat, it's just not worth the exploitation, biogtry and academic hipocracy.

Yeah, when I was an undergraduate my school was also spending something like $10 million on renovating the football stadium and $50 million building a new basketball stadium while in the middle of hiring and wage freezes for actual academics.

Vasudus posted:

I think a lot can be said about the rigor of the coursework that college athletes have to do, what with them being away all the time. But not by me, since I'm just a nerd that reads too much about too many things to have any domain expertise. But I do recall a bunch of articles from teachers complaining that athletes miss a huge amount of classes and they basically have to design a second curriculum with the expectation that the athletes will pass it.

Or they just are told to make a second curriculum that is total bullshit, which means that the athletes have phony degrees that nobody will take seriously after they blow out a knee and need to work in the real world. So big name college athletics makes the NCAA rich, makes coaches rich, and destroys young mens' bodies in exchange for a worthless paper.

https://deadspin.com/ncaas-three-year-investigation-into-fake-classes-at-unc-1819441583
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/02/18/athletes-take-easier-courses-fit-teammates-study-asserts
https://www.stanforddaily.com/2011/03/09/1046687/
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/17/sports/ncaafootball/17michigan.html

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the whole THEY DIDNT' EARN THEIR DEGREES thing is always funny to me. Like if they get a dogshit degree as an engineer and they manage to keep their job thats on the loving employer

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we should probably stop pretending that young adults giving themselves traumatic brain injuries for a tiny chance to win the lottery is worth it

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jarmak posted:

Like why would you expect them to make money? Providing athletics programs is something that attracts people to the school because they want to participate in athletics.

Because, the average salary for teachers is 45-70k a year at my college, while the headcoach is getting 200,000+ and the rest of his coaches are topping 90, 60, or 50k a year, and we have an unremarkable team doing gently caress all. Meanwhile, the department I'm in didn't have enough teachers this semester to teach a course that only pops up this time of year. So I can be a bit salty, that we could have cut the salary of the football coach in half, and topped the other coaches to around 60k and gotten another two professors or so.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Proud Christian Mom posted:

we should probably stop pretending that young adults giving themselves traumatic brain injuries for a tiny chance to win the lottery is worth it

Having a beef with football in particular makes a lot more sense than some :goonsay: bullshit about college athletics writ large.

Swimming, volleyball, and track aren't ruining lives, generally.

And your mileage certainly will vary, but I went to a school where total athletics revenue exceeded total athletics expenditures, and the profits went to stuff like salary, improving non-athletics buildings, research grants, etc.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Maybe we should stop pretending that all college sports cause brain injuries?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Going to college to play sports is like joining the military to do something productive with your life.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Internet Wizard posted:

Going to college to play sports is like joining the military to do something productive with your life.

Some people go to college to get degrees, but also compete in athletics. Wow, you can do both, and sometimes get a scholarship in the process.

Unless you're olympic level or something, being on a rowing team or track or any number of other college athletics doesn't rule your life and degree program.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

So why do we let the service academies have teams?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Casimir Radon posted:

So why do we let the service academies have teams?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I have no idea why track scholarships are still a thing cause no one watches track but it is legit a great driver for academically and athletically talented people from often minority backgrounds to pay for college.

Ideally these talented people can get college paid for some other way, but we as a society are going to cancel track scholarships long before we set up another system where poor people get college paid for.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Plus, between track and cross-country, it makes up twice as many athletes as football at D1 schools and of course includes women.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

mlmp08 posted:

Some people go to college to get degrees, but also compete in athletics. Wow, you can do both, and sometimes get a scholarship in the process.

Unless you're olympic level or something, being on a rowing team or track or any number of other college athletics doesn't rule your life and degree program.

I never said you can't go to school and play sports, but there's a lot of people arguing that college athletics are great because they draw people to the school so they can play for that school first, and graduate second, and that's an idiot proposition in 2018 where a whole lot of people go to college for worthless degrees.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

The fact that something like this

was pretty much entirely ignored in favor of talking about college football is a hell of an example about why college football isn't going anywhere or getting reformed anytime soon.

Edit: VVVVV What there is to talk about is stuff like how it's going to affect Pvt. Schmuckatelli wanting to buy another Mustang because the first one ran out of gas, and the dozens of lenders nearby knowing that now they can be safer in offering predatory rates because no one's going to check up on them.

Beepity Boop fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 12, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hremsfeld posted:

The fact that something like this

was pretty much entirely ignored in favor of talking about college football is a hell of an example about why college football isn't going anywhere or getting reformed anytime soon.

What's there to talk about? Is anyone going to bat for Mulvaney on this one? Color me shocked that this admin and the GOP are soft on predatory lenders.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think maybe the overarching issue here is capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1027526751071682561

• Locked thread