Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/10/rise-of-the-separatists/

Clone Wars sourcebook announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gently caress I wanna play a Clone Wars era game now.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Drone posted:

gently caress I wanna play a Clone Wars era game now.

I'll be interested to see how they do the whole 'war' side of it, and squads/larger numbers etc.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Hello there

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

"Heroes on both sides". Still makes me laugh.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

LongDarkNight posted:

War! There are very fine people on all sides! You wouldn't believe how many very fine people. People are always asking me "how many fine people are on both sides?" So many! The BEST people.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
To be fair, there are a few episodes of Clone Wars that go into the "heroes on both sides" things. Some of the citizenry of the CIS didn't want to necessarily fight a war, just wanted out of the Republic

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Yeah, I'm going off of memory, but the Clone Wars were literally "fake" in that it was orchestrated by an Evil Space Wizard to drive an already rotting and collapsing republic into a moment of crises so he could take over, playing both sides against each other. Star Wars has always been bad at trying to portray any sort of "moral grey area," but it's easy to see how the Clone Wars would be the time and place to try it. After all, the "good guys" went on to become, uh, the Empire. Whoops.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, I'm going off of memory, but the Clone Wars were literally "fake" in that it was orchestrated by an Evil Space Wizard to drive an already rotting and collapsing republic into a moment of crises so he could take over, playing both sides against each other. Star Wars has always been bad at trying to portray any sort of "moral grey area," but it's easy to see how the Clone Wars would be the time and place to try it. After all, the "good guys" went on to become, uh, the Empire. Whoops.

Yeah, Palpatine orchestrated the entire conflict. Might have happened on a smaller scale anyway, but he was behind it being a galactic conflict.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I can't wait to run a Clone Trooper game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Humans, Country Men, Friends, our prayers have been answered!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The GM for my EotE game messaged me earlier and said that at some point he would be running a one-shot in the Clone Wars using this book and of course I wanted to play the OG version of my "Retired Clone Trooper" EotE character done up proper from this book. Hell yes!

And then he told me that my mission would be set in the middle of Episode 3... when my character was under the command of another PC's Jedi brother...

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

LongDarkNight posted:

General Grievous, Admiral Bonetopick and Captain Imabadguy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

kingcom posted:

General Grievous, Admiral Bonetopick and Captain Imabadguy.

Don't forget Commander Nefarious!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Carteret posted:

I can't wait to run a Clone Trooper game.

PantsOptional posted:

The GM for my EotE game messaged me earlier and said that at some point he would be running a one-shot in the Clone Wars using this book and of course I wanted to play the OG version of my "Retired Clone Trooper" EotE character done up proper from this book. Hell yes!

And then he told me that my mission would be set in the middle of Episode 3... when my character was under the command of another PC's Jedi brother...

We've been playing a Dawn of Rebellion era game for a while now, we've got a retired clone trooper, a couple Jedi, and my character as a reformed T-Series tactical droid. Would make a prequel kind of awkward.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Like, I'm not entirely surprised I haven't seen it yet, but you could totally make a character post-Clone Wars who was a seperatist and is now fighting against the Empire, looking at the rebels, going "glad you dumb motherfuckers finally joined my side."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Like, I'm not entirely surprised I haven't seen it yet, but you could totally make a character post-Clone Wars who was a seperatist and is now fighting against the Empire, looking at the rebels, going "glad you dumb motherfuckers finally joined my side."

That is basically the resolution of an episode in Star Wars Rebels.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, except the Rebellion wants to bring back the Republic that the Seps wanted out of...

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, except the Rebellion wants to bring back the Republic that the Seps wanted out of...

There is a potentially very interesting needle to thread where the character is a dyed in the wool Separatist, regretfully working with the big tent alliance to restore the republic, with the constant far off reckoning between the republic and the separatists remaining unsolved and a point of contention.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I may actually run a game in this system, but set in Firefly universe because this system is just better than the actual Serenity system.

Would anyone actually play that?

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Fuzz posted:

I may actually run a game in this system, but set in Firefly universe because this system is just better than the actual Serenity system.

I've had at least as many people ask about a serenity game as I've had ask about star wars.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Fuzz posted:

It works for any high adventure sci-fi setting really. Mass Effect or Starcraft would be other real solid setting for this system as well.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Fuzz posted:

For sure.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

kingcom posted:

It works for any high adventure sci-fi setting really. Mass Effect or Starcraft would be other real solid setting for this system as well.

The Magic rules from Genesys would be a perfect fit for biotics.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Azran posted:

The Magic rules from Genesys would be a perfect fit for biotics.

Thats what this person thought too: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19uWcdR6QCPF8TuPzaqsrrR_XG-BiKKq7/view

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

so are Genesys' dice the same as the EotE dice? Aside from the symbols looking different, could I just use my Star Wars dice?

e: awesome. :getin:

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 13, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yup.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

TheTofuShop posted:

so are Genesys' dice the same as the EotE dice? Aside from the symbols looking different, could I just use my Star Wars dice?

e: awesome. :getin:

They're identical just with some non-star wars images instead.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got Cyphers and Masks today. Finally! Stats for the Xerrol Nightstinger!!

And someone watched From Russia With Love before writing this. The briefcase from that movie is in here

jivjov fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 17, 2018

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Any mechanical stuff, or is it just stats and specs?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

LongDarkNight posted:

Can...can we be battle droids?

I honestly hate the separatists post Episode 1. I actually thought, and the movie sort of implies this, that the robots aren't very intelligent and quite limited, and they're actually just controlled from afar. I thought it was genuinely terrifying to have robots that you could just dump by the millions onto the battlefield. Of course, "sneak past the droids to kill the neckbeard playing Starcraft" isn't very interesting, so now we have droid admirals, and the droids can get scared and stuff...it's just so much of a missed opportunity.

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

I mean , the way that it is used is actually horrifying in the prospect that the droid generals are purposefully made just smart and independent enough to realize what's going on but be powerless to change their objectives.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
They replaced the T-Series Tactical Droids with Super Tactical Droids because they were mouthing off to their humanoid commanders.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Reik posted:

They replaced the T-Series Tactical Droids with Super Tactical Droids because they were mouthing off to their humanoid commanders meatbags.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I honestly hate the separatists post Episode 1. I actually thought, and the movie sort of implies this, that the robots aren't very intelligent and quite limited, and they're actually just controlled from afar. I thought it was genuinely terrifying to have robots that you could just dump by the millions onto the battlefield. Of course, "sneak past the droids to kill the neckbeard playing Starcraft" isn't very interesting, so now we have droid admirals, and the droids can get scared and stuff...it's just so much of a missed opportunity.

On the other hand, tying your entire army to a single point of failure is really loving dumb.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Is vehicle combat (especially space combat) like ground combat in that you generally need multiple enemies to do more than vaguely menace the party, even if the players are all in one ship or other vehicle?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Soup Inspector posted:

Is vehicle combat (especially space combat) like ground combat in that you generally need multiple enemies to do more than vaguely menace the party, even if the players are all in one ship or other vehicle?

It depends on the ship/vehicles. Fighters are pretty much flying coffins. How easily you can die in a star fighter compared to how difficult it is to die on a personal scale is ridiculous. We had one combat with a minion group of Tie Fighters and it was by far the scariest part of our campaign.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Reik posted:

It depends on the ship/vehicles. Fighters are pretty much flying coffins. How easily you can die in a star fighter compared to how difficult it is to die on a personal scale is ridiculous. We had one combat with a minion group of Tie Fighters and it was by far the scariest part of our campaign.

My players are currently tooling around in a Skipray Blastboat but going by what you said I suppose I should plan conservatively and assume less is more. From what I remember reading through the rules I got the sense that anything involving capital ships is a colossal pain in the rear end and is better handled narratively with a minimum of rolls rather than 100% through rolling.

Are there any particular "gotchas" to keep in mind with vehicular combat?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Soup Inspector posted:

My players are currently tooling around in a Skipray Blastboat but going by what you said I suppose I should plan conservatively and assume less is more. From what I remember reading through the rules I got the sense that anything involving capital ships is a colossal pain in the rear end and is better handled narratively with a minimum of rolls rather than 100% through rolling.

Are there any particular "gotchas" to keep in mind with vehicular combat?

Lots of weapons have linked, which means the rolls can be very volatile in their results.

Does their ship have escape pods? The big problem with fighters is that the character dies when the ship reaches it's hull threshold, where as in personal scale the character doesn't necessarily die as soon as they hit their wound threshold.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/259184-starship-combat-impressions/

I guess you could say narratively that a starfighter hitting it's hull threshold just has to retreat?

Reik fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Reik posted:

Lots of weapons have linked, which means the rolls can be very volatile in their results.

Does their ship have escape pods? The big problem with fighters is that the character dies when the ship reaches it's hull threshold, where as in personal scale the character doesn't necessarily die as soon as they hit their wound threshold.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/259184-starship-combat-impressions/

I guess you could say narratively that a starfighter hitting it's hull threshold just has to retreat?

Thanks for the link! As far as canon goes I don't think Skiprays have escape pods, but for simplicity's sake I'll probably just rule that their particular example has been heavily modded so that the cockpit or forward section can pop off and act as a lifeboat.

"Out of the fight" rather than straight up dead is a good idea too.