Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I totally get why they made gas diffuse so slowly but there should be something like tempshift plates but for gas that speed up gas movement around them for when you actually want it move fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

BattleMaster posted:

I totally get why they made gas diffuse so slowly but there should be something like tempshift plates but for gas that speed up gas movement around them for when you actually want it move fast.

Gassed move faster if pressure difference between two areas is higher

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

enraged_camel posted:

Gassed move faster if pressure difference between two areas is higher

Yes but it's still very slow.

That lovely electrolysis setup I posted earlier consistently had the electrolyzers not running because of overpressure and the oxygen pumps not pumping because of no pressure.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
As I understand it, even if gas pressure equalized instantly the setup you posted would become overpressured fairly quickly, because electrolyzers output 888 g/s of oxygen each and gas pumps can only move 500 g/s.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

As I understand it, even if gas pressure equalized instantly the setup you posted would become overpressured fairly quickly, because electrolyzers output 888 g/s of oxygen each and gas pumps can only move 500 g/s.

At least then the pumps would be pumping more consistently.

I know how to build a better one next time but I was way too optimistic about how gas moved when I made it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yeah, that's why SPOM uses such a compact design: to give the gasses very little room.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Out of curiosity, why make a SPOM with one electrolyzer and 2 oxygen pumps (888 produced, 1000 pumped out), letting the atmo sensor turn off the pumps on “vacuum” rather than 2 electrolyzers and three oxygen pumps (1776 produced, 1500 pumped out) and letting the electrolyzer be turned off by overpressure? Would that mess with the hydrogen part?

E: it’s the pipe's maximum flow rate, isn’t it?

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 9, 2018

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What's with these green corners on the ladder designations here?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

enraged_camel posted:

Heat management sucks. It’s easily the worst thing about this game: it’s both poorly explained and not at all obvious. It can gently caress up your base in a slow and irreversible way unless you know to watch for it and know exactly how to deal with it, which involves reading guides and tutorials and trying to replicate the insane setups people have come up with. SPOM is a great example.

What really sucks about it is that basically all ways of dealing with heat rely on magic. You either have wheezeworts and AETNs magically sucking up heat, or stuff like water purifier that outputs things at a static temperature and are inevitably used to delete heat from the colony. The whole thing is just frustrating and dumb.

Incorrect now that the game has the vacuum of space modeled, albeit in an odd fashion. I think the favorite idea I've seen so far is the Space Hot Tub.

Have a tub of water (ideally polluted) up near the surface in a room protected near meteor strikes. Make sure the tub itself has a "solid" (non-void) back wall (usually with tempshift plates). The rest of the room (or at least part of it) has the back wall of void tiles. The water sits just fine in the tub until the aquatuner sitting in it finally heats the hot-tub water up to the point it evaporates. Then the steam hits the vacuum tiles and is sucked out into space, easy-peasy!

Okay it still uses the magic of the entire room not just depressurizing and making the water evaporate from lack of pressure but it's a different kind of magic

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Why Burt?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

How did you two idiots contrive yourselves into this situation?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
You see Nikola, if you are building box around head you will not falling into ground long distance like American cartoon Wile E. Coyote.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 10, 2018

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Related: I had a duplicant drilling laddering for oil and when the heat started burning her she just kept going, eventually she collapsed and nobody tried to save her, not even my other vest wearing duplicants. They did eventually bury her corpse though, so at least I've got that going for me.

How do I get down to oil before plastic? They can survive the temps for short periods, I assumed they'd run away and cool down every so often like they do to catch their breath.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

You don't need plastic for vacsuits and the temperature of the oil zone is nothing when they're suited up.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

This is why I always dig the floor out and the next two tiles below before building the bathroom floor. It's basically all I do during Cycle 1, end up getting the bathroom completed about 7 minutes in.

Dupes are idiots. The AI is badly programmed and needs a huge revamp.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Any efficient ways to cool down water sieve water, or steam geyser water, for general use?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Are there any solid like, starter guides? I'm having trouble getting stuff rolling and I'm tired of watching my dupes run around because CO2 hangs around so loving long and I have no idea how to clear it out of the air because terrariums are so slow and :argh:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Jinnigan posted:

Any efficient ways to cool down water sieve water, or steam geyser water, for general use?

The cheap way: get some wheezeworts and stuff them in a sealed-off, insulated room to make a fridge room. Optional: fill said room with hydrogen for maximum efficiency of Wheezewort cooling. Then make a snake of reactive pipes to transfer the heat from the water to the icy-cold hydrogen.

The powered way: pass it through an aquatuner. Ideally having said 'Tuner submerged in a liquid you don't mind getting hot, such as the very water you're going to sieve since the sieve will delete any heat above 40C. Or Petroleum which can absorb an absurd amount of heat.

Kitfox88 posted:

Are there any solid like, starter guides? I'm having trouble getting stuff rolling and I'm tired of watching my dupes run around because CO2 hangs around so loving long and I have no idea how to clear it out of the air because terrariums are so slow and :argh:

Early on it's actually a good idea to make a pit for your gas. Also Terrariums are poo poo and little more than a stopgap, what you want is CO2 scrubbers which turn the CO2 to polluted water.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Kitfox88 posted:

AMA brah :jiggled:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
don't make terrariums. just dig deeper.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Alkydere posted:

Okay it still uses the magic of the entire room not just depressurizing and making the water evaporate from lack of pressure but it's a different kind of magic

A reasonably small pipe to leak water vapor at a controlled rate would actually work as a pretty powerful cooler. Each kg of water vacuum-boiled off could suck north of 2 MJ of heat out of the system, enough to take 5 kg of water from near-boiling to frozen.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Nevets posted:

Related: I had a duplicant drilling laddering for oil and when the heat started burning her she just kept going, eventually she collapsed and nobody tried to save her, not even my other vest wearing duplicants. They did eventually bury her corpse though, so at least I've got that going for me.

How do I get down to oil before plastic? They can survive the temps for short periods, I assumed they'd run away and cool down every so often like they do to catch their breath.

Since I caught I dude eating in the latrine I don't trust them near the drinking water. If your dudes are drilling through the oil, I figured out a way to pump out a fluid without standing in it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Here's how I dealt with CO2 in my last base. I didn't build a single terrarium or scrubber, just a big pit, until I found some Anti-Entropy Thermal Nullifiers and built an insulated chamber around them.

The droplets falling in the air is CO2 "rain" caused by the CO2 condensing in the air. The chunks of debris on the mesh walkways are mostly CO2 "snow" caused by the "rain" freezing before it hits the bottom of the chamber. I didn't capture a good screenshot of CO2 snow but you can see a few chunks of it in midair around the leftmost AETN. After a while some of the solid CO2 masses got big enough to turn into mineable tiles at the bottom of the chamber.

I don't think you actually need a chamber this big or even two AETNs but it was kind of fun building a big megaproject withotu any of my dupes dying. (actually, some did but I reloaded autosaves and planned the building a bit better the next time around). Also, building a vacuum layer around the chamber was probably not necessary.

edit: part of the reason for it being so big was I wasn't expecting it to do anywhere near as good a job of immobilizing the CO2 and I wanted a lot of space to prevent overpressure since before the freezing started I was pushing past 5 kilograms per tile of the gas, but in practice it froze so well that there was nearly a vacuum in the chamber aside from a thin haze of other gases that were trapped during building.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 12, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kitfox88 posted:

Here's my easy peasy guide for getting started. The short answer is dig below your base a ton to give the CO2 somewhere to go and don't use terrariums. If you set up properly you can get into the teens easily with only one Algae oxydizer.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lorini posted:

Here's my easy peasy guide for getting started. The short answer is dig below your base a ton to give the CO2 somewhere to go and don't use terrariums. If you set up properly you can get into the teens easily with only one Algae oxydizer.

What do you have against terrariums they are much better now that they give polluted water, in fact I use them to help get early reeds going.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Uh. Because they add another chore to your dupe's list every cycle if you don't have them semi-immersed in water, CO2 isn't a big concern so long as it isn't in your dupe living quarters and you can more easily get polluted water from wash basins (not to mention early reeds get you..well nothing because the machines that use them require refined metal to construct).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Terrariums are useful when digging deep because they provide your dupes with little pockets of oxygen they can catch their breaths in.

Other than that, I prefer scrubbers.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Sage Grimm posted:

Uh. Because they add another chore to your dupe's list every cycle if you don't have them semi-immersed in water, CO2 isn't a big concern so long as it isn't in your dupe living quarters and you can more easily get polluted water from wash basins (not to mention early reeds get you..well nothing because the machines that use them require refined metal to construct).

Exactly, particularly at the start when you need your dupes to do other stuff than make polluted water. The document describes a working start, not how to play the game into the mid-late game. I even say that you may want to start over once you get the hang of things and throw in stress and germs.

Sure I move on to polluted water as well later, but I would argue there's easier ways to get polluted water than terrariums anyway.

Part of the problem is what is defined as 'early'. The need for reeds aren't early in my opinion. Early is within the first two branches of the research tree to me.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Please join me in crossing fingers.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
you piped your plants wrong

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Run a feeder line below the hydroponic tiles and feed each tile individually from that. Otherwise the first plant gets all the water (ish- the pipe physics are weird)

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Yes?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yes. Keep in mind your hydroponics tiles can still act as regular tiles, meaning you don't actually have to build them on top of regular tiles.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Xand_Man posted:

Run a feeder line below the hydroponic tiles and feed each tile individually from that. Otherwise the first plant gets all the water (ish- the pipe physics are weird)

i got around this by building a liquid valve for each 'line' of plants i was watering, that seems to have taken care of it.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Got a picture? Not sure what you mean.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I've gotten reasonably (ha!) good at the early game; I can pretty reliably get to a state where I have enough oxygen, enough power, enough food. I don't know anything about the middle game. Can goons tell me what my priorities should be outside the habitable biome? Should I be building exosuits and visiting the dangerous biomes? What do I do about the pockets of e.g. chlorine with one fish in them? Is critter farming actually useful? I did check Steam, but there aren't any middle-game guides.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
middle game for me is setting up nat gas power, electrolizers, and metal refinement.
early game is building research, barracks, kitchen, farm, then ending with coal power and some transformers. i turn my research room into a stress room by adding a table and art
late game is advanced food, water cooling, plastics, and anything else.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Here's an album of my current build (sorry for fragmented nature).

https://imgur.com/a/yGPLRlB

e: Note that I don't have any natural gas visible at the moment?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Natural gas is kind of not worth it since the fertilizer machine nerf. Requires more infrastructure than coal power and the gain is minimal (and in fact negative when you factor in geyser dormancy), especially since coal is virtually unlimited now once you set up a hatch farm.

Regarding your screenshots, you should upgrade your plants to bristleblossoms. Mealwood is OK as a starter food but it's pretty gross so it will stress out your dupes a lot and make it impossible to assign them to higher tier jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
edit: wow, I missed the game by a lot, sorry for the post

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 17, 2018