Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Rarely (as in this has happened just like twice in the past year) when trying to post a reply, the app hangs on the posting reply spinner for a while then spits back an error about the image upload failing, despite me not including an upload in the post.

Awful 3.36, IOS 10.3.3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The icon for share in the latest beta should be the one named 'copy-url' instead of 'copy-iphone'

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I've made a new folder here.

Inside I've got some new things.

Animation for Bookmarking a thread:

Animation for UnBookmarking a thread:

I've made a new 'default-tag' for PM's, that should look like this when put in:

It will need to shift in colour based on the app theme.

A new 'no-tag' for the ones currently without created tag art. It will also need to shift in colour based on the app theme. The existing one looks like this:

A new ignore icon so we don't have the same icon for 'ignore user' and 'mark unread'

Also included the aforementioned copy-url@#x.png for easy access. This one needs to be used for 'Share'

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t need any of these features because they are basically just putting Christmas lights on something that already works fine so don’t go through too much trouble.

Thanks that’s my input.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spanky the dolphin posted:

I've made a new folder here.

Inside I've got some new things.

Animation for Bookmarking a thread:

Animation for UnBookmarking a thread:

A new 'no-tag' for the ones currently without created tag art. It will also need to shift in colour based on the app theme. The existing one looks like this:

A new ignore icon so we don't have the same icon for 'ignore user' and 'mark unread'

Also included the aforementioned copy-url@#x.png for easy access. This one needs to be used for 'Share'

Those are sweet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Two things that don’t work in the current beta:

- tapping on entries in someone’s rap sheet, and
- tapping on “go to awful’s thread” in settings

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Photo uploads not working but what does the capital A on thread icons mean?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

butros posted:

Photo uploads not working but what does the capital A on thread icons mean?

I think it's supposed to be the Ask from Ask/Tell. Is it leaking to other forums?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

carry on then posted:

I think it's supposed to be the Ask from Ask/Tell. Is it leaking to other forums?

Oh duh. thanks.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

Those are sweet

Thanks!

Two more things someone can try out in the next beta:

I've made these as png sequences and put them in the Toggle Animations fodler.

They're both 10 frames long. Ideally you'd push the button, they'd play to the 10th frame and stop, then hitting it again would play them backwards back to the 1st frame.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 5, 2018

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
Hi. great app. request: a way to copy thread titles, for when there’s a link or some quote you want to look up. thanks.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Latest app / iOS, with ‘preview new posts’ switched on I get an endless preview > preview > etc loop, switching the option off allows for posting.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
In case more detail helps: I get the preview loop on iPhone (but not iPad, that seems to work fine) and when I cancel out to the thread and re-open the compose screen it gives me the option to immediately post the previously-composed message (which works).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is there a way to play twitter videos that are embedded without having to go to the actual tweet? It looks like it plays but sits and does nothing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No, I think it’s because of lovely JS from Twitter.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

No, I think it’s because of lovely JS from Twitter.
Also, adblocking.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Subjunctive posted:

Two things that don’t work in the current beta:

- tapping on entries in someone’s rap sheet, and
- tapping on “go to awful’s thread” in settings

I can’t tap on any forums links at all in the latest beta. I can long press and copy the links but that’s it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Brain Curry posted:

I can’t tap on any forums links at all in the latest beta. I can long press and copy the links but that’s it

Does your status bar text go dark when you tap a link? If so it's a pretty long standing bug that we haven't had much luck even tracking down, unfortunately.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Brain Curry posted:

That’s the case for me as well, though clicking “Goon posted” links to quoted posts works.

I’ll try to remember to watch the status bar.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

George H.W. oval office posted:

Is there a way to play twitter videos that are embedded without having to go to the actual tweet? It looks like it plays but sits and does nothing

Nazis suck at frontend development

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

carry on then posted:

Does your status bar text go dark when you tap a link? If so it's a pretty long standing bug that we haven't had much luck even tracking down, unfortunately.

I don’t see anything change when I click on forums links. I tried copying a link too, and that didn’t open when I opened the app.

Is there a setting that I need to enable for opening forums links in awful?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Most recent beta also seems to have broken the “parent forum” button. It’s a bloodbath in here.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Does Awful have a Patreon or something? You rule, this app is worth $100

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Hopefully you can see this post because I disabled preview posts in iOS.

Edit: I wonder if it was that easy all this time.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Subjunctive posted:

Most recent beta also seems to have broken the “parent forum” button. It’s a bloodbath in here.

About that

code:
    func open(route: AwfulRoute) {
        // TODO: this
    }
Pokeyman knows where he's going with this so I'll defer.

e: threw in a naive impl that seems to get the quote links and parent forum button working again.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 11, 2018

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

is the app reading my clipboard?

Regular Nintendo posted:

Nazis suck at frontend development

do they still outsource to IBM?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PleasureKevin posted:

is the app reading my clipboard?

When you switch to it, yes. That’s how it offers to open forums URLs in-app. You can disable that in settings.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Haha, the Awful.app thread in project.log got archived.

Anyways I started a Swift 4.2(/iOS 12?) branch and ran the converter. Builds and runs fine with one hack to fix GRMoustache. No idea who's fault that bug is or if it'll be fixed by the time iOS 12 comes out.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Oh yeah that's a cool idea. So you mean like if you hit the Post Settings button in the lower left the circular switches would swap places or something?

At the moment those bottom corner buttons (and the ... button) are obscured a bit by the 'tab' of the bubble that appears. I feel like that interface needs to be updated a bit - like maybe the background could dim more and blur out to emphasise the new window in the foreground. At the same time the button pressed could remain at full brightness and animate to its active state. Could also remove that little tab on the bubble.

I was picturing the button in the popover itself would turn into a spinner. Something like:

1. Tap … button on post.
2. Popover appears.
3. Tap "Mark Read".
4. "Mark Read" turns into a spinner.
5a. Operation succeeds: "Mark Read" spinner turns into checkmark and popover closes shortly thereafter.
5b. Operation fails: "Mark Read" spinner turns into X, show alert informing user of failure.
5c. User dismisses popover: no problem, operation continues in background. If user taps same … button again, "Mark Read" is still a spinner.

And I agree, the actions interface could use some work. It's on my never-ending list :)

Subjunctive posted:

Why do share sheets take so long to pop up? It’s not just Awful, but it definitely affects Awful.

I don't think we do anything particularly stupid here, it's just an iOS thing?

dragon enthusiast posted:

Rarely (as in this has happened just like twice in the past year) when trying to post a reply, the app hangs on the posting reply spinner for a while then spits back an error about the image upload failing, despite me not including an upload in the post.

Awful 3.36, IOS 10.3.3

It probably timed out, and it's just a lovely error message :) I'll +1 it on the list.

The icon for share in the latest beta should be the one named 'copy-url' instead of 'copy-iphone'

I used copy-iphone because the copy-url icon isn't really an iOS thing, more of a web (and Android?) thing. As goofy as it is, we should stick with the box-with-an-up-arrow-coming-out-the-top icon.

I'll make a note to add the new stuff, thanks! (Or if anyone else beats me to it, great!)

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t need any of these features because they are basically just putting Christmas lights on something that already works fine so don’t go through too much trouble.

Thanks that’s my input.

My ignoring the thread for weeks at a time surely counts as not going through too much trouble :D

802.11weed posted:

Hi. great app. request: a way to copy thread titles, for when there’s a link or some quote you want to look up. thanks.

Ooh that's a good idea. On the list it goes!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Latest app / iOS, with ‘preview new posts’ switched on I get an endless preview > preview > etc loop, switching the option off allows for posting.

I really gotta get on this one. +1'd on the list.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

In case more detail helps: I get the preview loop on iPhone (but not iPad, that seems to work fine) and when I cancel out to the thread and re-open the compose screen it gives me the option to immediately post the previously-composed message (which works).

More detail never hurts, thanks!

Analytic Engine posted:

Does Awful have a Patreon or something? You rule, this app is worth $100

Thanks! No donation jar, can always throw some money at Lowtax if you've got some loose change though.

carry on then posted:

Haha, the Awful.app thread in project.log got archived.

Probably wasn't worth having the two threads. I don't think anyone minds the dev chat in here (?) and neither thread is high traffic, so consolidating here suits my needs.

quote:

Anyways I started a Swift 4.2(/iOS 12?) branch and ran the converter. Builds and runs fine with one hack to fix GRMoustache. No idea who's fault that bug is or if it'll be fixed by the time iOS 12 comes out.

Thanks! I'll probably still do a bit of work on master branch until we get closer to an Xcode 10 GM release, as we can't use a beta Xcode to submit to the App Store. Hopefully it merges ok, or at least if we have to re-run the conversion we know what's gonna trip us up.

As for GRMustache, I feel like it's been somewhat abandoned (or put on pause, if we're being more charitable), so I wouldn't hold out hope for any official fixes. Maybe someone has forked it and fixed stuff (or maybe we should do that, since our changes will get blown away next time we do a pod install). I'm also ok with abandoning GRMustache, or even mustache templates altogether, if it's not suiting our needs anymore.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Holy poo poo this thread exists. I assumed everyone associated with this project died in a terrible accident.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

Thanks! I'll probably still do a bit of work on master branch until we get closer to an Xcode 10 GM release, as we can't use a beta Xcode to submit to the App Store. Hopefully it merges ok, or at least if we have to re-run the conversion we know what's gonna trip us up.

Definitely. I just like to get something going a little sooner so I can get a sense of what puzzling failures get fixed and what ones we'll have to work around come September. Right now, the branch only works on the simulator, with building for a real device leading to tons of duplicate symbol errors from the linker.

pokeyman posted:

As for GRMustache, I feel like it's been somewhat abandoned (or put on pause, if we're being more charitable), so I wouldn't hold out hope for any official fixes. Maybe someone has forked it and fixed stuff (or maybe we should do that, since our changes will get blown away next time we do a pod install). I'm also ok with abandoning GRMustache, or even mustache templates altogether, if it's not suiting our needs anymore.

I'll keep trying the Xcode 10 builds without the fix as new betas come out to see if it is somehow a compiler issue that gets fixed, since it affected running on Swift 4.0 and iOS 11.4 too. If we have to ship the fix then we can look into how we preserve it.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I tried posting this in the development thread but I guess it was archived?
In the latest beta links are pretty much not working for me, including the Parent Forum button at the top.

Basic thread navigation is working fine

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

These look great, and it's no trouble to have them match the app theme, but they're 40x40 points and the actual tags are all 45x45 points. Do you mind booping the no-tags out a bit? Thanks!

Jose Valasquez posted:

I tried posting this in the development thread but I guess it was archived?
In the latest beta links are pretty much not working for me, including the Parent Forum button at the top.

Basic thread navigation is working fine

Should be fixed in the next beta.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

:toot:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

pokeyman posted:

These look great, and it's no trouble to have them match the app theme, but they're 40x40 points and the actual tags are all 45x45 points. Do you mind booping the no-tags out a bit? Thanks!

I’m able to click quotes, parent forums etc. in the new beta

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Brain Curry posted:

I’m able to click quotes, parent forums etc. in the new beta

:toot:

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Here are some updated ones that should work.

In the 2x / 3x folders

We're currently using the 'share' box-with-arrow-coming-out for post options, and it seems weird to hit that icon and have the same icon appear within that next menu. I've switched it back to the previously used chain link, which I've seen used by Apple somewhere before.

Also tweaked some others.

pokeyman posted:

I was picturing the button in the popover itself would turn into a spinner. Something like:

1. Tap … button on post.
2. Popover appears.
3. Tap "Mark Read".
4. "Mark Read" turns into a spinner.
5a. Operation succeeds: "Mark Read" spinner turns into checkmark and popover closes shortly thereafter.
5b. Operation fails: "Mark Read" spinner turns into X, show alert informing user of failure.
5c. User dismisses popover: no problem, operation continues in background. If user taps same … button again, "Mark Read" is still a spinner.

Okay, so you'd need 3 new animations then I think - a spinner that occupies the same space / shape as the circular icons, then a 'success' and 'failure' animation that (as seamlessly as possible) carries on from the spinner.

Do you think I should make these at the same dimensions or would it be possible / a good idea to make them at say, double the size so you could make them expand and center on screen once pressed?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Awful.app just tried (completely unprompted, on opening) to use Handoff to paste a work email I had drafted and copied on my Mac into a post. Obviously this is really bad.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

You should get your coworkers SA accounts, problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Awful.app just tried (completely unprompted, on opening) to use Handoff to paste a work email I had drafted and copied on my Mac into a post. Obviously this is really bad.

Turn off handoff from your work laptop to your personal phone. You can disable the check clipboard feature within Awful.app but that will stop checking local phone clipboard too.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 15, 2018