Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I use trigger to change my volumes, screen timeout and dnd status based on time and location

Though by location that means visibility of WiFi networks, gps or cell ringfencing is not so good

You can do it all with tasker but it's massive overkill and trigger is better tool for the job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

My phone is pretty much always on Vibrate since I have a Pebble Time Steel.

The only time that changes is when the Pebble charges once a week.

Media Volume is the correct default setting. :smug:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that was it, I have CM switch to vibrate only when at work (based on Wifi networks) and maximum volume when at home (since I tend to leave the phone sitting in one place) and I think just ring + vibrate otherwise.

That said, whenever I change the volume, I expect it to be the ringer volume, and not media, unless something is currently playing :colbert:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

You can't just change 10 years of conditioned behavior and call it ergonomics. See also Mazda's goofy rear end volume knob.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Samsung got it right - you can select what you want the keys to change and you get the little down arrow to change other sounds.
When they're copying so many features from TouchWiz The Samsung™ Experience I don't know why they also have to dumb it down and make it worse.

Maybe another 9.1 candidate fix.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I was at the gym yesterday on a stair stepper machine and dropped my Pixel 2. It then proceeded to noisily bounce off two of the steps, crash onto the floor, slide across the floor, then bounce down an additional flight of stairs to the racquetball courts.
It was completely fine and I'm pretty sure I owe it all to the Pie update which somehow reinforced the durability of the phone. Good lord.
(I do have a screen protector and thin sleeve case)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Xiaomi is launching a sub-brand called Poco which is positioned to be a Oneplus competitor:

https://www.androidcentral.com/xiaomi-confirms-poco-sub-brand-snapdragon-845-powered-pocophone-f1-inbound

One might think that, since Xiaomi already has a high-end phone in the Mi 8, this is gonna differentiate itself by running a more stock Android but no, it's MIUI for this phone.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I know that China Phone is watching you, but does anyone have or interested in an Xiaomi MI MIX 2S for $469.99

Seems like a really drat good phone for that price, has all the bands for pretty much all US carriers (I Think might be missing one from T-Mobile?) Even has all Sprint's bands so I wonder if anyone has gotten one working on Sprint through the DNA2 method in store?

So much nicer than the Notch everyone is trying to do these days.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
After looking at the leaks I'm super tempted to get a Pixel 3. I have changed by tune.

The Note 9 on the other hand...

(I'd rather buy another Honda Civic)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

64bit_Dophins posted:

After looking at the leaks I'm super tempted to get a Pixel 3. I have changed by tune.

The Note 9 on the other hand...

(I'd rather buy another Honda Civic)
The leaks are only on the XL so far, right?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I find it really weird that the built in clock app will let me play music from Spotify as an alarm, but doesn't have Google music as an option.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Dr. Despair posted:

I find it really weird that the built in clock app will let me play music from Spotify as an alarm, but doesn't have Google music as an option.

Same. That's so Google.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

EdEddnEddy posted:

I know that China Phone is watching you, but does anyone have or interested in an Xiaomi MI MIX 2S for $469.99

Seems like a really drat good phone for that price, has all the bands for pretty much all US carriers (I Think might be missing one from T-Mobile?) Even has all Sprint's bands so I wonder if anyone has gotten one working on Sprint through the DNA2 method in store?

So much nicer than the Notch everyone is trying to do these days.

If you're going to go that route, the Mix 3 is likely out in a month or so and per reports will be $569 with an OLED display, in-screen fingerprint scanner, and one of those popup cameras like the one Vivo that just came out recently.

(From Reddit)

As far as the Mix 2S bands go, it's been hard to find a conclusive report whether the base model has the Verizon/Sprint bands or if it's only the most expensive one, though the official site's specs implies it's any of them (https://www.mi.com/en/mix2s/specs/). Chinese phone aside, it's probably something worth keeping an eye on with the rising cost of everything else. At the very least the 2S will probably be another $100-200 cheaper once the 3 is announced/out.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The notification counter on the digital well-being stuff doesn't really play nice with lightflow

:prepop:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

The notification counter on the digital well-being stuff doesn't really play nice with lightflow

:prepop:

Is that just the persistent notification being refreshed?

e: vv That makes a lot of sense too.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 11, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It animates the color of the notification right? Now we know how.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I don't have the persistent notification turned on so i guess it's the animation yeah

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Yeah I'm going to get a pixel 3xl. Ive missed my larger format devices tbh. Although it is like holding a shoe to your head.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are there no APN settings in Pie?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

FogHelmut posted:

Are there no APN settings in Pie?

network & internet > mobile network > advanced

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

strap on revenge posted:

network & internet > mobile network > advanced

Maybe it's a Fi thing? I had it before though.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Have there been any credible reports about a Face ID-like system coming to Android with the Pixel 3? Having seen it in action on the X it's the one thing that for me makes the front facing fingerprint scanner unnecessary. With the reports of a triple front facing camera coming to the 3 it would go a long way towards justifying that enormous notch.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

triple sulk posted:

If you're going to go that route, the Mix 3 is likely out in a month or so and per reports will be $569 with an OLED display, in-screen fingerprint scanner, and one of those popup cameras like the one Vivo that just came out recently.

(From Reddit)

As far as the Mix 2S bands go, it's been hard to find a conclusive report whether the base model has the Verizon/Sprint bands or if it's only the most expensive one, though the official site's specs implies it's any of them (https://www.mi.com/en/mix2s/specs/). Chinese phone aside, it's probably something worth keeping an eye on with the rising cost of everything else. At the very least the 2S will probably be another $100-200 cheaper once the 3 is announced/out.
It'll almost certainly be a month+ after Mix 3's launch that it gets a global model and nobody outside of China should use CN model (unless you're Chinese I guess). Also there were tons of Mix 2S leaks that were fake so I wouldn't necessarily trust even the seemingly high quality Mix 3 leaks.

Mix 2S global model supports Sprint bands minus B46 but AFAICT nobody has ever been able to use a Xiaomi phone on Sprint. So I'd guess it won't work.

ps don't use gearbest they suck, mix 2s is ~$480 on US eBay without a coupon or ~$440 from Aliexpress, both of which I'd trust over GB. I got mine from eBay.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The AP guy who was complaining about his Pixel 2 XL being laggy is gonna get a visit by Google engineers:

https://twitter.com/ArtemR/status/1028405883519217664

Maybe he'll just hit the kill all apps button and leave again?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They're gonna find the bitcoin miner on it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Have there been any credible reports about a Face ID-like system coming to Android with the Pixel 3? Having seen it in action on the X it's the one thing that for me makes the front facing fingerprint scanner unnecessary. With the reports of a triple front facing camera coming to the 3 it would go a long way towards justifying that enormous notch.

Rumors and whisperings but nothing substantial. You've summed up in your post the totality of evidence pointing to it: a lot of cameras and an enormous notch.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

LastInLine posted:

Rumors and whisperings but nothing substantial. You've summed up in your post the totality of evidence pointing to it: a lot of cameras and an enormous notch.

I need the enormous notch to compensate for my other failings.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My dad wants to add his employer's email to his phone but he only wants current and future emails, not past ones or the contacts. Is there any way to do that?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

The AP guy who was complaining about his Pixel 2 XL being laggy is gonna get a visit by Google engineers:

Google must be serious about it considering they gave me a refund on my third defunct Pixel 2 only if I agreed to let their Pixel engineers take a look at my device.

Or they just want better press as Artem is the editor-in-chief for Android Police and they're sending a PR person too.

From those comments, it looks like the Pixel 2 XL lag isn't just MKBHD and Artem. Sounds like a possible hardware issue?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

From those comments, it looks like the Pixel 2 XL lag isn't just MKBHD and Artem. Sounds like a possible hardware issue?

huh.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

ThermoPhysical posted:

Sounds like a possible hardware issue?

Yea, they all only have 4GB of RAM.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

My dad wants to add his employer's email to his phone but he only wants current and future emails, not past ones or the contacts. Is there any way to do that?

He should be able to choose to not sync the contacts, but I don't think there is any way to not sync all the emails. If it's a storage concern, I don't think they all download to the device and you can choose how far back to sync.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 12, 2018

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

hooah posted:

Most mail apps just let you select how far back to sync mail for. Just set it for a week or something and, as mentioned, turn off any other unwanted folders like Contacts and Calendars.

You don't want to sync too much mail to an ActiveSync device anyway because it tends to get more unstable the more stuff you sync to the device.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
My Xiaomi Mi Max 2 has a 5300 mah battery and I can't imagine going back to something smaller. Thing lasts for days

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Tsyni posted:

My Xiaomi Mi Max 2 has a 5300 mah battery and I can't imagine going back to something smaller. Thing lasts for days
Why do you care? You live in a first world country. You have reliable electricity.

I am honestly having trouble imagining the kind of person who considers plugging in a USB charger once a day or just setting their phone on a wireless charger to be an imposition on their lifestyle.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Incessant Excess posted:

Yea, they all only have 4GB of RAM.

The pure Android experience is so optimized, they could probably get away with 2GB of RAM. The Note 7 released with 4GB 2 years ago.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Gobbeldygook posted:

Why do you care? You live in a first world country. You have reliable electricity.

I am honestly having trouble imagining the kind of person who considers plugging in a USB charger once a day or just setting their phone on a wireless charger to be an imposition on their lifestyle.

Well, it's not a giant imposition. I travel a lot for work so it's just a nice convenience. Being able to GPS for a while or watch Netflix for a couple hours and still having another day of battery life. I'd take a better camera over the extra battery, but for a phone that cost $300 CAD I'm pretty happy.

What brought it to mind was seeing one of the leaks for the pixel 3 XL saying it was 3450 mah battery (no idea if this is totally confirmed) and it's 6.7" compared to my 6.44". I'm not trying to say this phone is any way comparable to a pixel XL, but the gap isn't as wide as the price would indicate.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Someone please tell me it's my fault somehow and I'm missing something very obvious: I have a scan of an old school magazine I want to send to a Whatsapp group, to do that I go through the Gallery app, which apparently only allows me to sort by last change. Now obviously since it's a magazine I want to send the files in order, i.e. by filename. Is it really true that in order to achieve such a high tech feat I have to either send them one by one or reupload them to my phone again one by one so sorting by date = sorting by name? Because if that's the case, if in 2018 I have to do it this way because the techbros think their magnificient algorithms just know better, I'm gonna go back to a rotary phone tomorrow.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

Incessant Excess posted:

I have the same issue at times. The Pixel 2 XL has been extremely disappointing to me after the awesomeness that was the OG XL and the 6P. So many lag issues, especially with Google Maps, default camera app and Play Music. I'm not smart enough to know if it is hardware or software related, but it makes me very hesitant to keep purchasing Google's phones.

If I turn battery saver on, the phone is lightning fast though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

GhostDog posted:

Someone please tell me it's my fault somehow and I'm missing something very obvious: I have a scan of an old school magazine I want to send to a Whatsapp group, to do that I go through the Gallery app, which apparently only allows me to sort by last change. Now obviously since it's a magazine I want to send the files in order, i.e. by filename. Is it really true that in order to achieve such a high tech feat I have to either send them one by one or reupload them to my phone again one by one so sorting by date = sorting by name? Because if that's the case, if in 2018 I have to do it this way because the techbros think their magnificient algorithms just know better, I'm gonna go back to a rotary phone tomorrow.

I dunno if it's the only way, but the way I would handle this is to create a google photos album, order them there, and post the album's share link in the chat.