Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I don't think that'll be a problem - you don't really need the desktop app (though it'll be a lot easier if you do get it, so give it a try): http://multiplayerrobot.com/Download (sign in with your steam credentials)

Other than that, everything should be compatible.

Here's an invite link to the game itself: http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/26986?token=6eff71fd-4ba1-4313-aff3-5d4da626c5ea (make sure not to pick a Civ - we're all gonna go random)

Ok, I did (diogo.abdalla)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Man my video card goes crazy when running this game. That's annoying.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Glass of Milk posted:

Man my video card goes crazy when running this game. That's annoying.

I ran it on my Surface Pro 4 and it felt like a toaster oven.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I can hardly play this game in summer. It heats up the entire living room.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

I can hardly play this game in summer. It heats up the entire living room.

Yeah, another thing they haven't fixed from V. What the gently caress is it even calculating? If it's taking hours off of my laptop's life by slowly melting it, I'd expect some serious AI.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ai units probably still can't fortify/sentry

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I also notice a big difference if I disable city states and barbarians.

My huge map game without those two is way faster and less stuttery than a standard map game with them. The 30+ civs don't seem to matter that much. So, I assume that would also help with the heat?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Wasn't it so that City State AI and Barbarian AI _have_ to move every unit somewhere every turn, unlike Civ AI?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah, I think so. You can see this in action with the 'reveal all' console command, which removes the fog of war.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

Yeah, another thing they haven't fixed from V. What the gently caress is it even calculating? If it's taking hours off of my laptop's life by slowly melting it, I'd expect some serious AI.

im pretty sure the ai checks the state of every unit and city that it can see, every single turn

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Man, dead game already.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
Firaxis has such an old-school approach to game development and fan interaction, it doesn't surprise me that people are not sticking with Civ 6.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Kind of disappointing. I got this game recently and not only do I completely suck at it even on Chieftan, I have to run it on the absolute lowest graphics level or my computer freaks out.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Don Pigeon posted:

Firaxis has such an old-school approach to game development and fan interaction, it doesn't surprise me that people are not sticking with Civ 6.

They absolutely need new blood in there. It's awful.

e: Just compare Paradox's approach with Stellaris to Civ VI. It's like night and day.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

John F Bennett posted:

Yeah, I think so. You can see this in action with the 'reveal all' console command, which removes the fog of war.

or just by cruising next to a city state you know

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Don Pigeon posted:

nothing old-school about cynically churning out the minimum viable product for as few production dollars as possible. it's timeless, really.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I started getting into Amplitude's Endless series again in the last couple of weeks, and it's such a difference to see how reasonable and pleasant their customers react on their forums when the developer actually respects their consumer and wants to improve their product.

There's a really stupid thing in Endless Space 2 right now, where another empire can shoot a projectile at you that destroys your whole system unless you react. This projectile gives no warning, and it just graphical representation on the map until it hits you. So you have to pay attention the map every turn, look for a blip on the map, and then measure with a ruler how far the blip has gotten since the last turn so that you can estimate when it will hit you. This is very stupid, but I have faith that they will correct this issue very soon. If anything similar happened in Civ, they would ignore it forever, and someone would have to make a mod to fix this. The mod will then break when Firaxis releases a patch 6 months later that improves the game in no way.

Also, in the Firaxis world: Some people got a survey about Civ VI that had very vague questions like "Do you like religion", and also gave a checkbox list of things that the survey taker thinks should be improved. UI was not one of those checkbox options.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 11, 2018

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The crazy thing is they have long development cycles between versions so it's odd that they haven't made many advancements in the past decade.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Winter Goon Game is nearing completion.

Indonesia has managed to be at war with at least one civilization through out most of the game, with two different players playing Indonesia for roughly equal amounts of time(don't fact check this!) surprisingly, the nation still stands as one of the final three, and seems to have recently thwarted a Chinese assault? You both should be allied against me, but it is too late now :ghost:

America is turns away from a Science victory, and I believe I have the military coverage to deflect any potential effort to delay the final piece from launching. Might not have the AA to deflect a nuke, but I'm fairly confident there isn't one primed or in position to get to the correct spaceport city in time. Aside from sacking Russia to prevent a culture victory some 30 turns ago, I managed to have a peaceful game that allowed me to just stack science and industry enough to harbor three great people, one of which was the 100% to all progress towards Spaceport Projects, allowing two other great people to instant complete a 10 turn project in two cities same turn.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Don Pigeon posted:

I didn't even bother buying the expansion because I couldn't get into it, and I'm one of those freaks who loved Civ5 and Beyond Earth. Civ6 feels... uninspired, maybe is the word?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Trivia posted:

They absolutely need new blood in there. It's awful.

e: Just compare Paradox's approach with Stellaris to Civ VI. It's like night and day.

Can you elaborate a bit on that? My only Paradox game is EU4, which I love dearly and enjoy the attention to revamping and such. How are they working with Stellaris?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Weekly previews of works in progress from the next major update. Quick turnaround on community commentary requests and reports.

Heck, someone asked if there was a way to add a "Time of Arrival" measure when you move a fleet long distances, and it was added with the next patch - a week later.

Paradox actively engages their community. Firaxis doesn't.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

You will also hear things like "Oops. That's a bug. Let me write that down." During Paradox live dev plays.

Firaxis tries to gloss over bugs, and often forgets how to play their own game while showing it off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Human Crouton posted:

You will also hear things like "Oops. That's a bug. Let me write that down." During Paradox live dev plays.

Firaxis tries to gloss over bugs, and often forgets how to play their own game while showing it off.

Forgets? Firaxis devs often don't seem to know how to play their own game, period. Beyond Earth especially was infamous for devs being stunned during beta when invited players would handily break the game over their knee on the hardest setting.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Stellaris' original implementation had certain gameplay mechanics that, while interesting, were not really good game design. This was discussed here on the boards and on reddit as well. Wiz, who is a dev for the game at Paradox, also regularly posts here on these forums (and maybe other ones too). They aren't afraid to do drastic core game mechanic overhauls for the good of the game. Many of these overhauls are not hidden behind DLC, but are given out as a free patch (with DLC consisting of other changes instead).

Right now there's much hullabaloo about the next large patch, which serves to completely change the way the economy side of the game operates (and thank god for that).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cythereal posted:

Forgets? Firaxis devs often don't seem to know how to play their own game, period. Beyond Earth especially was infamous for devs being stunned during beta when invited players would handily break the game over their knee on the hardest setting.

out of curiosity do you remember/have any of these strategies they were using

i've played some BE (with RT) and it's not difficult, but it does feel needlessly opaque. even a good early tech tree order would be great.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Psion posted:

i've played some BE (with RT) and it's not difficult, but it does feel needlessly opaque. even a good early tech tree order would be great.

It may have been patched out.

If I remember correctly, there was a very early ability that made aliens not attack you. So you could corral all of the aliens into your opponents land just be setting really cheap units in the alien's way. It was something like that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psion posted:

The really big one has since been removed, I think Purity 1 made your Explorers unable to be attacked by aliens. So one streamer did a video in front of the developers where he took the policy granting science for killing aliens and created fences of explorers around alien nests and brought in artillery to turn the nests into science farms.

Personally, my early tech tree order doesn't vary a whole lot:

1. Chemistry (gets you Recyclers and petroleum if you didn't take the tectonic scanner)
2. Pioneering (settlers and trade depots)
3. Ecology (if you really need ultrasonic fences or miasma removal)/Genetics (if not)
4. Engineering (thorium reactors, I'm usually very low on energy by this point)
5. Whatever I didn't get at 3.
6. Physics (archers and drydocks)
7. Affinity tech
8. Biochemistry (water refineries and petroleum plants)
9. Computing (networks and spy agency)
10. Robotics (autoplans and firaxite mines)
11. Alien Sciences (xenomass wells)
12. Genetic Design (gene gardens, cloning plants, ectogenesis pod)

These can be varied based on your particular needs in a given game, but that's based on what I consider a normal early game. Planetary Survey is worth grabbing if you're using sea cities (and especially if you're Duncan or Moon you will probably want to do Physics early for drydocks). I pretty much always grab the tectonic scanner in my starts so I know whether I need Geophysics or not, but if you got something else you should probably get that after Computing. Alien Biology is useful if you've got serious miasma problems.

Defense Grid is skippable unless you're getting attacked really early. Genetic Mapping is pointless now, unless maybe you've got a shitload of paddocks (the Gene Vault is trash in Rising Tide). Terraforming costs more than the other alien resource unlocking techs, I leave it for later unless I've got a lot of floatstone or am up in the snow and tundra for terrascapes.

Beyond that, there's lots of options. I usually shoot for Transgenics after this, followed by Bionics and building an Institute so I can use the free tech on Alien Evolution to make all farms give a point of science. Autonomous Systems is great even if you're not going Supremacy, Master Control is that good. Fabrication is good if you've got lots of titanium. Mechatronics can always be left for after Terraforming. Biology and then Vertical Farming for +1 food and +1 energy on farms is very useful. If you have some floatstone and don't have Slumber-Slaughter Extract, Swarm Robotics is worth it for Drone Sphere for the same reason that Autonomous Systems is worth it.

Use trade routes, use them and love them and your ultrasonic fence quest should probably be alien immunity. If you've got friendly civs, trade routes to gain a city strategic resources by trade is huge - it lets you build poo poo like biofactories and cloning plants and neurolabs even in cities that don't technically have those resources.

The godsend artifact combo rewards are the Drone Command and Slumber-Slaughter Extract. Projected Chassis Construction is great, and downright hilarious when combined with Master Control for 5 move workers. Tidal Navigation makes you drat near unstoppable on the water. Sky Chitin is similarly huge for air units.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 13, 2018

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

onesixtwo posted:

Winter Goon Game is nearing completion.

Indonesia has managed to be at war with at least one civilization through out most of the game, with two different players playing Indonesia for roughly equal amounts of time(don't fact check this!) surprisingly, the nation still stands as one of the final three, and seems to have recently thwarted a Chinese assault? You both should be allied against me, but it is too late now :ghost:

America is turns away from a Science victory, and I believe I have the military coverage to deflect any potential effort to delay the final piece from launching. Might not have the AA to deflect a nuke, but I'm fairly confident there isn't one primed or in position to get to the correct spaceport city in time. Aside from sacking Russia to prevent a culture victory some 30 turns ago, I managed to have a peaceful game that allowed me to just stack science and industry enough to harbor three great people, one of which was the 100% to all progress towards Spaceport Projects, allowing two other great people to instant complete a 10 turn project in two cities same turn.

Ugh, that war was a mistake. I only wanted to put my fleet into the ocean (with a view to potentially invading you, not that i saw good chances of that) but he kept rejecting my generous open borders deals, so i snapped and forced my fleet through, but took a fair bit of attrition.

He actually tried to invade me at our land border but was behind me in tech and manpower so that didn't go anywhere, but it was an annoying distraction.

I probably should have diplomacy'd harder.

I think you've got that game wrapped in a neat little bow, but I'm happy i made it to the last 3 with a not-completely-poo poo empire - especially as it's my first MP game and third game total :smug:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Wasn't there supposed to be a summer patch?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

John F Bennett posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be a summer patch?

The spring patch isn't out for Linux yet. They can only release the next patch the day after we've caught up with the current one :v:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Civ6 feels... uninspired, maybe is the word?

The problem lies in you. Districts and eurekas are the biggest and most inspired changes in Civ in the history of history.

Also, I thought y'all were crazy in this thread, complaining about how often leaders ask/tell you about stuff . . . I was playing on Small maps, because my computer was crap. I apologize for judging you.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

homullus posted:

The problem lies in you. Districts and eurekas are the biggest and most inspired changes in Civ in the history of history.

And policy cards!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

eurekas suck, they're just a tedious checklist of stuff you very nearly have to do every game

Prav fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 13, 2018

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

Also, I thought y'all were crazy in this thread, complaining about how often leaders ask/tell you about stuff . . . I was playing on Small maps, because my computer was crap. I apologize for judging you.

Yeah, despite Firaxis's abject failures they still do some really cool stuff. Someday a less poo poo company will actually make a Civ killer but for now they're still the best game in a tiny, sad town.

Prav posted:

eurekas suck, they're just a tedious checklist of stuff you very nearly have to do every game

You've always had to research X before researching Y, they've just replaced some of the hard prereqs with soft prereqs.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 13, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Prav posted:

I like the idea behind eurekas, but their execution was basically this. I feel that they need to reduce their bonus (note I don't know if Rise and Fall did this) so that you're rewarded for doing certain things, rather than effectively penalized for not doing certain things. Like a 20% bonus to completion is still nice without being dominating. They can also add some variety to some of them so that you don't "have to" play one specific way.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
builder changes are huge too, I went back to V and nearly quit when I saw it takes 7 turns to build one road

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another CBERT bit for the guy who was asking: about wonders. A brief guide:

Worth It

Master Control - 3 movement workers sounds small, but is amazing in practice.

Drone Sphere - if you don't have Slumber-Slaughter Extract, +50% worker improvement speed is terrific.

Crawler - costs a lot of floatstone, but can add up pretty significantly.

Memetwork - Mostly worth it if you're going single affinity, as this will help you pick up other affinity stuff you aren't focusing on.

Nanothermite - +25% ranged and air attack power? Yes, please.

Resurrection Device - you shouldn't have any trouble staying in positive health, and the positive health bonuses can get really good. This makes them better.

Tectonic Anvil - if you have a city with two or more canyons, this is worth it.

Xenodrome - Makes the aliens your friends. Situational, but gives a lot more freedom for clearing out nuisance aliens and nests than befriending nests.

Benthic Auger - Situational, but can be really good if you have a good city for it.

Euphotic Strand - like the Benthic Auger, and if you're going for one you'll probably build the other in the same city.

Not Worth It

Abyssal Mirror - A very situational benefit, one that you probably never realized might be desirable. Because it's not, really.

Ansible - Could have been good if it wasn't this late in the tech web.

Archimedes Lever - You're building a wonder to do something a unit (the nanohive) does better. Skip.

Armasail - Would have been worth it (if you're in the appropriate situation) if it was civ-wide. Skip unless you're in a rather peculiar and very specific situation.

Bytegeist - Very situational benefit you more or less need to deliberately plan around.

Daedalus Ladder - Could have been good if it wasn't this late in the tech web.

Deep Memory - Could have been good if it wasn't this late in the tech web.

Ectogenesis Pod - It's early in the tech web and easy to get (assuming you beat the AI to it, they love this one), but the benefits are too small to be worth prioritizing.

Faraday Gyre - I've never had a game where energy is a problem, but this one can net you a metric shitload of cash if you build it in the right city. This is another one the AI loves to get early, though.

Gene Vault - There is never a reason to build this.

Guo Po Yaolan - Well, this one might be worth it but I've never felt the need.

Human Hive - A simple surveillance web stops the nasty covert ops poo poo. I guess if for some reason you really want to shut that stuff down in one city.

Markov Eclipse - Oh look it's Japan's UA from Civ5.

Mass Driver - see Armasail

New Terran Myth - Could have been good if it wasn't this late in the tech web.

Panopticon - Well, the +1 visibility might be useful I guess.

Precog Project - I've never had a game where this bonus would have come into play.

Promethean - If you're having health problems or are stacking manufactories on one city, this could be useful.

Quantum Computer - An extremely fringe benefit from a late-game wonder.

Stellar Codex - Well... it could be useful? Kinda? Maybe?

The Akkorokamui - It's like the Promethean but significantly worse. Build that instead.

Xenomalleum - I guess you might theoretically be in a situation where this would be useful?

Xenonova - A wonder for a very specific situation I've never been in.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think you're the only one who actually plays enough of that game to care. It's possible (pre-expansion) to basically roll your face across the keyboard and win uncontested on the hardest difficulty. It's pathetic. I supposed if you're playing multiplayer a tier-list of wonders would be useful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Serephina posted:

I think you're the only one who actually plays enough of that game to care. It's possible (pre-expansion) to basically roll your face across the keyboard and win uncontested on the hardest difficulty. It's pathetic. I supposed if you're playing multiplayer a tier-list of wonders would be useful?

except I asked, so they're not

the question wasn't about difficulty (BE isn't), it's about opacity (BE is)

thanks Cythereal