Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did VG Close the Poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Total: 1 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I will always miss Rubick mid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I started playing Tree/CM a while ago and I legitimately feel bad for whoever has to lane against me. Even Axes just get completely handled. CMs nerf sucks but she's still great and Tree's nerf barely matters. Also, Phoenix is now a horrible nightmare on the same level as Tree/CM BEFORE getting nerfed.

Speculation, but I'm going to guess we're actually going to see a meta develop over the course of TI. You're going to have two teams: teams who play the lanes how you would expect, and then teams who revert back to dual-laning mid with TA/Bane because the other team picked heroes who all gently caress the sidelaners but cant close games (Tree CM Pudge), and then the response to this is where things are going to get weird.

Also, we're gonna see a reasonable amount of Sniper. Not because of OpenAI, but Midas Sniper has been big lately. This is NA tech, not sure if Europe or China knows about it.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

secret na sniper tech, spooky

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Pos 4 sniper.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Valve is replaying ti7 games on twitch and thank god they killed pms, iron talon, and shrines close to the river.

And theyre playing Slacks reading off a script which is even worse.

e: they're playing the og/tnc ti6 elimination game right now :puckin:

http://www.twitch.tv/dota2ti

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 12, 2018

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's cool that they are finally sort of hyping TI beyond just pumping compendium sales. They should just replay all the TI games starting like a month in advance

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Is there a dota discord or whatever since lljk channel is extremely dead

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
This seems dumb but I aint played dota since 2016. I was looking for the dota thread to find out if theres any tips/guides for returning players; issue is I cant find a dota thread anywere?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839082

But no, no one plays this game anymore.

Modern tips tend to be: win your lane, make sure their safelane doesn't win. Play turbo for fun times and cavern crawl progress.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 13, 2018

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Thanks!

I'm guessing I just have to jump back into the game then and try and work out what the gently caress's changed.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

d3c0y2 posted:

Thanks!

I'm guessing I just have to jump back into the game then and try and work out what the gently caress's changed.

Just watch some recent pro games. Jungle has two bounty runes every five minutes, river has power runes in random places every two minutes. There are some new items and strong heroes since then and some items have changed recipes. You can buy one sentry at a time for 100g and obs for 75. TPs for 50g. You probably didn't have infused raindrops either. Courier buff makes it dmg immune instead of fast. Stats have some additional effects...idk you'll figure it out.

Oh and they ruined randoming.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

Just watch some recent pro games. Jungle has two bounty runes every five minutes, river has power runes in random places every two minutes. There are some new items and strong heroes since then and some items have changed recipes. You can buy one sentry at a time for 100g and obs for 75. TPs for 50g. You probably didn't have infused raindrops either. Courier buff makes it dmg immune instead of fast. Stats have some additional effects...idk you'll figure it out.

Oh and they ruined randoming.

Cheers, that mostly makes sense. Ive just loaded it up on twitch and watching random people play.

I had like 1100 hours of dota played, but my last game played was a bounty hunter game in February 2015 apparently. So it's loving weird watching it right now, it seems similar but so much different poo poo as well.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Lanes are more important than almost anything else, which is why Phoenix Tree and CM are all at the top of the food chain. The offlane is no longer a sacrifice lane, it's now just a second lane you want to destroy. Heroes like Dark Seer and Tidehunter who just survive are out, you need to actively be able to bully the enemies. Huskar and Brood are now the looming threat everyone needs to be aware of, and all the good teams are going to have it waiting. Jungling is gone, no one even bothers stacking anymore unless it's ancients and there's a TA.

I think the most subtle yet significant change to happen since 2015 is the importance of regen. Nowadays people have disgarded bottles almost entirely and now just ferry themselves salves as often as they need to - getting harassed out of lane and needing to go back to base to regen even once is a catastrophic loss.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The community is supportive and not racist anymore, lots of big changes.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Also fun fact, you'll probably hear about this getting patched out tomorrow. There's currently a "bug" in the client where you can post html links in the little timeline status update thing. People have mostly been using it to post images, but someone found out how to hijack your client if you so much as hover over a disguised hyperlink which will repost the disguised hyperlink onto your own timeline

so far people have figured out how to change text in the client, someone apparently changed the "Play" button to say "Install Gentoo"

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Also fun fact, you'll probably hear about this getting patched out tomorrow. There's currently a "bug" in the client where you can post html links in the little timeline status update thing. People have mostly been using it to post images, but someone found out how to hijack your client if you so much as hover over a disguised hyperlink which will repost the disguised hyperlink onto your own timeline

so far people have figured out how to change text in the client, someone apparently changed the "Play" button to say "Install Gentoo"

lmao dota2 everybody

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The community is supportive and not racist anymore, lots of big changes.

are you sure you're playing dota :thunk:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Taffer posted:

are you sure you're playing dota :thunk:

All the complaining about South Americas is pretty much gone because the way matchmaking works now is that they try to pair you not just with other people who have the same languages selected, but people who are near you in terms of overall distance, AKA making sure people in NA don't get paired with people from SA. I have the "mute all enemies forever" thing ticked in settings and I can't remember the last time someone spoke Spanish in one of my games. But then, when the game ends and the post-game lobby comes up, every single game the enemy team will type walls of Spanish at you asking to report someone, and I can just imagine they must have been typing all game as well.

The English-speaking players still act like assholes to people on our team, sure, but all-chatting is like the South American Special, so if you mute enemy chat you never have to deal with it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I guess I'm remembering stuff from like a year ago. Hatred against SA seemed to be at an all-time high and everyone was bitching about being matched with Peruvians. I personally saw it a few times but it was never a huge deal. I'm self-aware enough to notice that my fellow English speaking NA players are just as ragey and terrible as their Peruvian counterparts. I don't play that much these days but I have noticed that it seems to be all English speakers recently, which is nice I guess.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I have had people in Spanish ask me to report someone for being Peruvian on more than a couple occasions

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Dota 2 taught me that racial politics in south america are very complicated

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

sugar free jazz posted:

Is there a dota discord or whatever since lljk channel is extremely dead

There is. The IRC is real dead but a discord was made and a bunch of us are on there and ACTUALLY started playing dota again

https://discord.gg/vqCvpr

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I have had people in Spanish ask me to report someone for being Peruvian on more than a couple occasions

every south american country (and Mexico) hates peru players dude. Its universal law at this point

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I don't believe that bottle anti-hype. Plenty of mids and offlaners get them if they're are no other obvious regen options like arcane/alluding+tranq because of all the runes. If you're in turbo, obviously ferry all the regen always. And yeah maybe not in turbo get some extra. Lane xp is important and the only reason off is ever considered bad for "survivors" is because denies are so much more important.

Also the accounts are confirmation biased, especially from higher tiers or people claiming they mute half the game. There are still lots of people speaking Spanish in use and usw

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 13, 2018

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

There is. The IRC is real dead but a discord was made and a bunch of us are on there and ACTUALLY started playing dota again

https://discord.gg/vqCvpr

every south american country (and Mexico) hates peru players dude. Its universal law at this point

Look at this puto.

My ride when I browse the forums and read Peru hate:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
That discord has ponchis and swb in it so fair warning (it's bad)

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

turboraton posted:

Look at this puto.

My ride when I browse the forums and read Peru hate:

I'd be willing to bet that most of us don't know what you're on about.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

So I guess we're really embracing SirActionSlacks this year huh :(

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ponchis got called a peruvian in a game yesterday.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

d3c0y2 posted:

This seems dumb but I aint played dota since 2016. I was looking for the dota thread to find out if theres any tips/guides for returning players; issue is I cant find a dota thread anywere?

I also recently got back into Dota after a long break. I'd say just play games and be prepared to lose a lot while getting used to it again and learning what's changed.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

https://www.dotabuff.com/heroes/meta

Sort by hero winrate, pick hero at top of list

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

https://www.dotabuff.com/heroes/meta

Sort by hero winrate, pick hero at top of list

I like how a bunch of heroes apparently don't even get picked <2k MMR.

What world is this that lovely players don't love Lycan?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

tote up a bags posted:

So I guess we're really embracing SirActionSlacks this year huh :(

never

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

lycan is boring as hell imo and even when he is super overpowered, I think it is pretty telling that you wouldn't see him in unranked games much. Death prophet was like that a lot too before spirit siphon

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Peewi posted:

What world is this that lovely players don't love Lycan?

Microing wolves is too hard for their babby brains, see also: Visage

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
As a casual Dota person, what about Midas Sniper makes it uber c00lfrog secret tech? Did the recent 2-1-2 meta enable it somehow?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

take it back

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was wondering why lycan’s winrate overall was so poor. people are still jungling him in 1/3 of his games lmao.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Siets posted:

As a casual Dota person, what about Midas Sniper makes it uber c00lfrog secret tech? Did the recent 2-1-2 meta enable it somehow?

Sniper has a level 10 cooldown reduction talent that makes it more efficient. I’ve seen it in pubs along with the more dubious Necro 3 Sniper build (I think you get 100% uptime on the minions? but then youre a sniper with necro)

I’ve seen Midas sniper in a few less serious pro games but I dunno if it’s enough to make Sniper more pickable in situations where he wasn’t already. The crux of the hero seems to be ‘does he have a lane matchup he can win’, then ‘does your lineup do a better job of blocking for you than their team does stomping on your face’

idk tho, dotapinions

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
imho there isnt enough jungleshaming go on in dota these days

if you so much as step out of lane im typing "jungling in 2018 LUL"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I got called a Peruvian Zeus despite not even talking at all once all game lmao

And turbo....stay poverty