Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Berke Negri posted:

i was just kidding obama didn't rig the dnc race

thankfully i didn't speculate on whether he did or didn't either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

not really. the texts show that her son was upset, and that they were going through the process of a breakup. we don't have anything yet that substantiates physical or emotional abuse yet, and these are supposed to be texts that back up the son's claims that keith physically and emotionally abused her.

i mean, you could certainly read that into the messages with some of the wording, but that's not good evidence and supposedly there's a video (which has not been released to press that reported on this previously and reviewed 100s of texts she provided them). it's just strange to me that she's got solid, bullet proof evidence of what keith did, and she hasn't released it to a third party to at least verify it exists.

as i already said, a third party already pored through these texts and found nothing damning within them, so it really comes down to this video

The thing about "why hasn't she released them to a third party" is that there's no indication that she intended for this to ever go public. Like many other abuse victims, she was keeping it secret. The only reason it came out is because someone else accidentally stumbled onto the evidence and decided to go public with it without asking her.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Condiv posted:

i don't think that obama knew or that he rigged the race for perez to avoid keith cause of this issue

i said that if he did know, rigging things for perez would be the wrong response. i did not speculate on whether obama actually knew anything or not. please take more care when reading other people's posts in the future steinrokkan

i have vast and concrete evidence that you thought Barack Hussein Obama rigged the election to prevent Keith Ellison from gaining office because of a fear that his long reign of terror would float to the surface.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

steinrokkan posted:

The guy we were hoping would be part of our presidential ticket is not that important, said the fox to the grape

I’ve never heard of anyone prognosticating Ellison as part of a ticket anytime soon, but I only get information from mainstream/establishment media, not the online DSA/chapo/etc sphere. My internet access is quite limited so I get very little of that stuff since it isn’t available offline.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Craptacular! posted:

I’ve never heard of anyone prognosticating Ellison as part of a ticket anytime soon, but I only get information from mainstream/establishment media, not the online DSA/chapo/etc sphere. My internet access is quite limited so I get very little of that stuff since it isn’t available offline.

Yeah, no Bernie / Keith voices, none at all

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

steinrokkan posted:

i have vast and concrete evidence that you thought Barack Hussein Obama rigged the election to prevent Keith Ellison from gaining office because of a fear that his long reign of terror would float to the surface.

cool. you'll have to excuse me, i'm not in a very jokey mood. i like keith ellison quite a lot and i'm very sad to hear that he may have been abusive towards his ex.

Main Paineframe posted:

The thing about "why hasn't she released them to a third party" is that there's no indication that she intended for this to ever go public. Like many other abuse victims, she was keeping it secret. The only reason it came out is because someone else accidentally stumbled onto the evidence and decided to go public with it without asking her.

hmm

i hope the truth of this situation becomes clearer soon

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, no Bernie / Keith voices, none at all

well, i kinda gave up on that when he ran for AG. but i'm not sure how i and a few other leftists add up to keith ellison being important

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
post the video

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

How does "someone else stumble" upon private texts and video? The texts messages aren't damning to me. Everyone has had a lovely/dramatic break up.

If the video is seemed legit by a third party I'll change my tune but dramatic ex texts from scorned white women makes me naturally cautious idk it's a really tough situation

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I can’t figure out what is going on. Can somebody post the actual allegation?

E:^^ apparently none of the texts sent to MPR contain any evidence of abuse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Condiv posted:

well, i kinda gave up on that when he ran for AG. but i'm not sure how i and a few other leftists add up to keith ellison being important

If the challenger of Tom Perez was absolutely unimportant and there are only several lone leftists supporting an alternative to him, I guess the centralist faction really does represent America as a whole

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Koalas March posted:

How does "someone else stumble" upon private texts and video? The texts messages aren't damning to me. Everyone has had a lovely/dramatic break up.

If the video is seemed legit by a third party I'll change my tune but dramatic ex texts from scorned white women makes me naturally cautious idk it's a really tough situation

Quite frankly, yes, this rush to indict your most powerful ally (or one of such) at the first sign of trouble is loving imbecillic to say the least. Especially since literally nobody can actually formulate why they are condemning Keith beyond some vague statements.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

I thought Ellison was a great candidate for 2020, we'll see what happens now.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

He was always a weak candidate for 2020.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Koalas March posted:

Apparently the person who stumbled upon that stuff was her son, which seems entirely plausible to me.

Still, the video in question seems to be the crux of the matter, yes.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Koalas March posted:

that seemed odd to me too, but i dunno...

steinrokkan posted:

If the challenger of Tom Perez was absolutely unimportant and there are only several lone leftists supporting an alternative to him, I guess the centralist faction really does represent America as a whole

what are you even saying with this steinrokkan?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I mean I can kind of understand not wanting to post a video of yourself/your mother being abused for the public.

I also don’t see why we should assume a lack of credibility for accusers of men who broadly align with us.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

steinrokkan posted:

Quite frankly, yes, this rush to indict your most powerful ally (or one of such) at the first sign of trouble is loving imbecillic to say the least. Especially since literally nobody can actually formulate why they are condemning Keith beyond some vague statements.

i wouldn't claim keith is our most powerful ally. I'd say that'd be sanders at the moment. That's why I wanted keith as his veep, to build keith's profile.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

Based off their tweets, its clear everyone involved has the thought process of high-schoolers, so its pretty easy to imagine how dumb dramatic gossip material is stumbled upon. A jailhouse Muslim roughing up a dumpy white single mother he's dating isn't exactly hard to believe though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Condiv posted:

what are you even saying with this steinrokkan?

That your scrambling to erase Keith from historical record is as pathetic as it is transparent.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sneakster posted:

A jailhouse Muslim roughing up a dumpy white single mother he's dating isn't exactly hard to believe though.

What in the world is wrong with you dude?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Sneakster posted:

Based off their tweets, its clear everyone involved has the thought process of high-schoolers, so its pretty easy to imagine how dumb dramatic gossip material is stumbled upon. A jailhouse Muslim roughing up a dumpy white single mother he's dating isn't exactly hard to believe though.

yikes

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Ellison has flat out denied the video exists, so it seems pretty open-and-shut dependent on it existing and portraying what it is supposed to be.

It’s the devil of identity; Ellison’s as a member of a minority who have had sexual licentiousness and sexual violence painted as part and parcel of their souls, and his ex as a woman, who have been gaslit throughout history about their experiences of domestic and sexual violence, and as a white woman, who sits at the nexus of both of those traditions being weaponized as a means of upholding a violent racial caste system that persists to this day in our country.

I’m amazed that posters here feel they have the moral clarity to have divined what is or isn’t true and what should happen based on what is out there right now. I have no idea what to do with this information besides wait and see.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sneakster posted:

A jailhouse Muslim roughing up a dumpy white single mother he's dating isn't exactly hard to believe though.

lol, you see this is what happens when you fold immediately

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sneakster posted:

What the gently caress

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean I can kind of understand not wanting to post a video of yourself/your mother being abused for the public.

I also don’t see why we should assume a lack of credibility for accusers of men who broadly align with us.

White women and their family members have a long history of making poo poo up wholesale or blowing minor poo poo up in order to lynch or abuse black men.

Remember all the white women calling the cops on people sitting in a cafe, grilling or selling water? That's the minor version of that. Again, remember Emmit Till.

I agree that we should generally believe victims. Men are trash and black men aren't excluded from
that. Unfortunately there's also hundreds of years of racial history to unpack as well.

Like I said, it's a really difficult situation.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Phone posted:

it doesn't matter.

the schema for #metoo levies the same same punishment for being a serial abuser in a position of power (i.e.- weinstein) as the same for an idiot loser who can't pick up on cues (i.e.- aziz ansari). there's no nuance, there's no scaling, there's no way judge upon merits: if you're getting #metoo'd, you're getting completely dismantled.

to use your example of hardwick, if the medium post was written a year ago, he'd probably be completely blacklisted. people have caught onto the fact that #metoo is a dramatically flawed way of extracting justice.

I don't know how to honestly respond to this without getting probated, so I'll just say that I wish Helldump was still a thing, for you in particular.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

selec posted:

Ellison has flat out denied the video exists, so it seems pretty open-and-shut dependent on it existing and portraying what it is supposed to be.

It’s the devil of identity; Ellison’s as a member of a minority who have had sexual licentiousness and sexual violence painted as part and parcel of their souls, and his ex as a woman, who have been gaslit throughout history about their experiences of domestic and sexual violence, and as a white woman, who sits at the nexus of both of those traditions being weaponized as a means of upholding a violent racial caste system that persists to this day in our country.

I’m amazed that posters here feel they have the moral clarity to have divined what is or isn’t true and what should happen based on what is out there right now. I have no idea what to do with this information besides wait and see.

The MPR article where they mention they found no evidence of abuse in the tweets they reviewed (which were much more extensive than the ones Karen Monahan posted publically) makes it a lot muddier than I initially thought.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Koalas March posted:

White women and their family members have a long history of making poo poo up wholesale or blowing minor poo poo up in order to lynch or abuse black men.

Remember all the white women calling the cops on people sitting in a cafe, grilling or selling water? That's the minor version of that. Again, remember Emmit Till.

I agree that we should generally believe victims. Men are trash and black men aren't excluded from
that. Unrtunately there's also hundreds of years of racial history to unpack as well.

I understand this, but she’s also not accusing some guy. She’s accusing a former congressman. The power differential heavily favors him in this scenario.

I think “I will wait until the video comes out” is a valid stance but I see no reason to not at least extend to her “it seems reasonably plausible and there needs to be an inquiry.”

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Sneakster posted:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, based on what I've read there was no evidence of animosity between KE and his GF in their communications at the time the incident was supposed to happen.

Lightning Knight posted:

I understand this, but she’s also not accusing some guy. She’s accusing a former congressman. The power differential heavily favors him in this scenario.

I think “I will wait until the video comes out” is a valid stance but I see no reason to not at least extend to her “it seems reasonably plausible and there needs to be an inquiry.”

Which is a different stance than the rabid "Keith is a literal monster now and needs to be expunged from society" people have been promoting here.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

In general that'll teach me to think that I'm gonna escape the "well what do you expect, he's a Muslim" takes by not looking at twitter.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, based on what I've read there was no evidence of animosity between KE and his GF in their communications at the time the incident was supposed to happen.

The average abused spouse works hard to convince themselves that it’s all their fault and he really loves me, I’m sure. So this doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

I think selec’s take is the most reasonable here and we should just wait and see.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Koalas March posted:

that. Unfortunately there's also hundreds of years of racial history to unpack as well.

That and everyone running with this is a Qultist or a shitlib.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

steinrokkan posted:

That your scrambling to erase Keith from historical record is as pathetic as it is transparent.

i'm not trying to erase him from historical record or anything steinrokkan. but i'm not gonna blow up his influence in the left either to try to claim that these allegations are a conspiracy to take down or kneecap the left either

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

steinrokkan posted:

Which is a different stance than the rabid "Keith is a literal monster now and needs to be expunged from society" people have been promoting here.

That’s fair. My initial reaction was before people started pointing out that there may be issues, but I stand by the notion that we should believe her until at least such a time as the status of the video is determined, she refuses to provide it, etc. I think it’s credible, though unproven.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

This is exactly where I stand tbh.

The bottom line is she says there's a video and he wholesale denied it exists so a third party verification would really settle it tbh

Also the power differential is laughable. We had a black president who had a mustard scandal. No matter how far you climb as a black person, you're still black and white supremacy can still effect you. See also Oprah being denied into a couture store because they thought she wouldn't afford it. Iirc the same thing happened to Nelly(??) When he tried to buy a belt. You work twice as hard to get half etc.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

King of Solomon posted:

The MPR article where they mention they found no evidence of abuse in the tweets they reviewed (which were much more extensive than the ones Karen Monahan posted publically) makes it a lot muddier than I initially thought.

yeah, seeing that moved me back from thinking it was possible keith did it into stuck not sure who to believe in this.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

I do think that it is important to accept that a persons testimony is evidence, but only one form of it.

It’s also hard to wrestle with because of pattern recognition:

The first pattern we need to recognize is that the vast majority of accusations like these, especially the high profile ones that we attach to the MeToo moment, are long-overdue comeuppance for monsters, men that are unquestionably guilty of some really, really lovely things, and that most people have internalized the accusation as being a reliable guide to a dude being genuinely monstrous or lovely.

The other pattern is that we have seen with many accusations a tendency either from the accused or their defenders (Franken is a great example of this) claiming that this is a purely political method of fatally undermining an important member of the in-group. In reality, we have seen only one example of what I would consider to be a real example of this, taking advantage of the moment to try and shiv a political foe, and it was the attempt to paint Matt Taibbi as a serial rapist, and was carried out ostensibly by other people on the left. That it was rebutted so thoroughly didn’t mean it didn’t probably hurt his career. But it does exemplify the worst accusation the right (and to a much lesser degree the left) makes about these kinds of accusations, that they are purely political hack jobs. The fact that the only example that genuinely validated that claim was carried out on a leftist by people only to their right by a matter of slight degree is wholly lost in the dialogue, such as any exists.

All this is to say I don’t think it’s reasonable to stake out a presumption of anything right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

quote:

Kim Ellison, who is Keith Ellison's ex-wife, came to the congressman's defense Sunday in an statement that was emailed to reporters.

"We may be divorced, but we are still a family," she wrote. "I want members of our community to know that the behavior described does not match the character of the Keith I know."

this makes me more hopeful for keith.

that his ex is willing to vouch for him makes me less trusting of the allegations

• Locked thread