Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

oh hey, yamato divisions are a thing.

good times 3 dudes sitting in spawn wanking to nippon steel.

Three BB divisions are rarely a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

They're a great idea (for me).

I finally had some time to take the Cleveland out for a few games over the last few days.

Looks like I'm actually going to grind for Worcester. :stonklol:

dioxazine fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 13, 2018

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Man the weekly operation is a mystery bag.

Got two failures this morning on it from bizarre teammate play and then next match was flawless 5 stars.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Turns out deepwater torps do work on friendly Midways. :agesilaus:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Think the RN DD line will bring a collection for two-tone camo?

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 12, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm sure they'll do a collection like that for every nation eventually, it's a pretty low dev time way to space out new content

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I just got bitched at non-stop for most of a game for being terrible, my own Yugumo tried to torp me (and somehow failed) for not 'supporting him' (given I was close enough to torpedo, and was shooting at the ships he had spotted, I'm not sure what he expected me to do?) and he then rage quit and sailed to the bottom of the map for the rest of the game because he was 'low health'.

To be fair, I am terrible, and I was terrible in this game too, as in a Scharnhorst I managed to forget I had torpedos that might have killed a Musashi, and only managed to do about 48k damage and kill one DD. I fully expected to be in the bottom third or so of the team because it was a T9 game and well... I was bad.

Lol...

Edit: And it got even worse... I managed to be top on a team with this amazingly bad game...

I hosed up my position and got focused down by what felt like half the enemy team and ate about 5 torpedoes about 5 minutes into the game while doing a mere 56k damage... and that was good enough for 1st place.

This is mind boggling.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 13, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Welcome to the weekend at Wargaming.
Tanks. Boats. Planes.
It's all the same.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

maniacripper posted:

One thing I've wondered for a while is what flags are most important to run while grinding? Is it worth it to run a +20% silver and a +50% silver flag? Etc??

Depends. If you're hurting for silver (which isnt uncommon especially early on) go ahead and use them on your highest tier games. Or on Premium Ships (if you have any) because they earn more silver anyways.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

The Locator posted:

Where are those screens from? Is there something like XVM in this game? I am not sure if knowing how terrible my team is would be a good thing, just like tanks, but I'm a nerd so could never resist the urge to keep it.

On the other hand, my team could see how terrible I am too.

This wasn't answered yet - best XVM for the game is currently Matchmaking Monitor.

https://monitor.pepespub.de/

It's also bundled with Aslain's Modpack.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I ran with Matchmaking Monitor for a while but had to get rid of it. I would rather not know. I like having that tiny shard of hope that my DD doesn't have a 30% WR with 7000 games played. Knowing the exact details of the swamp of filth that i'm sailing with put me in a really bad frame of mind.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I despise it, but for the opposite reason.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

conan, what is best in life?

ruining some op stat padding carriers day and letting the game play out on an even field.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Heartcatch posted:

I despise it, but for the opposite reason.

i've never once seen anybody call out a good player in team chat in wows as opposed to wot where at least 3/4 of the playerbase ran xvm

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I had someone call out a Carrier player on the enemy team today in one of my t6 Fuso matches. Two carriers per team, dude on my team immediately went 'one carrier dude on the enemy team has unicum stats on his boat so watch out for him.' And it was true, that carrier player did pretty well.

His team still lost though.

Also some dude in a Saipan threw two lots of torp bombers at my Kirov in the cap. Cruelty to small boats :argh: (it was a good move, I was putting around because the entire team was faffing about so I was a pretty easy target. Survived only to get blown up in the inevitable crossfire.)

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

DonkeyHotay posted:

i've never once seen anybody call out a good player in team chat in wows as opposed to wot where at least 3/4 of the playerbase ran xvm

No, it's because I get focused by CVs on SEA.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
do 10k damage to a Sims in a 1v1 and he does 3k back

"a sims losing a gunfight to an asashio? lol"
"you just had your team helping you there"
"dude you did like no damage to me at 5km"
"you must be so glad you finally won a game"

dude has fuckin unicorn stats and lost to an asashio in a 5km gun fight, cripes

(he also has only 100 solo games, stat padders ahoy!)

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

big solo warrior baby

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

do 10k damage to a Sims in a 1v1 and he does 3k back

"a sims losing a gunfight to an asashio? lol"
"you just had your team helping you there"
"dude you did like no damage to me at 5km"
"you must be so glad you finally won a game"

dude has fuckin unicorn stats and lost to an asashio in a 5km gun fight, cripes

(he also has only 100 solo games, stat padders ahoy!)

That's nothing, took on a full health Benson and Kagero back-to-back in Asashio and killed them both with absolutely no assistance whatsoever. They managed to knock off roughly half my health while I was killing them both. And yes, this was at sub-6km ranges the entire time. It was incredibly pathetic.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

:negative:

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
About to get the first 4-point commander skill on my US CL captain, currently sitting in the Cleveland. Should I go for IFHE or CE first?

Lol, we all know that shooty brings booty. IFHE it is.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cobbsprite posted:

shooty brings booty

:quagmire:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
IFHE is the correct choice unless you like relying purely on fire rng for your damage.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Not having CE only means you can't instantly hit the 'Destroyer Destroyer' button as soon as you're spotted, you just have to deal with a kilometer of uncertainty, being able to crunch bigger ships with IFHE is much more important.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Cobbsprite posted:

About to get the first 4-point commander skill on my US CL captain, currently sitting in the Cleveland. Should I go for IFHE or CE first?

Lol, we all know that shooty brings booty. IFHE it is.

You made the right choice.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Good morning.

quote:

ST. Clan Base 2.0

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

We are continuing to improve clan base. There are now 9 buildings instead of 5. Here is the list of new buildings:

Coal port gives bonuses to coal received (3 expansions: +5%; +2%; +3%).
Steel port gives bonuses to steel received (3 expansions: +5%; +2%; +3%).
Design Bureau gives bonus to Free XP (6 expansions: +10% for I-VI level; +10% for VII-VIII level; +10% for IX-X level; +5% for all levels; +5% for all levels; +5% for all levels).
Academy gives bonus to Commanders XP (5 expansions for 2% each)
Here is the list of buildings with reworked bonuses:

Dock is now called “Dry dock” (6 expansions: -5% to ships service at I-VI level; -5% at VII-VIII level; -5% at IX-X level; -5% for all levels; -5% for all levels; -5% for all levels).
Research Institute (6 expansions: +2% to ships XP at I-VI level; +2% for VII-VIII level, +2% for IX-X уровней; +1% for all levels; +1% for all levels; +1% for all levels).
Staff is now called “Officers’ club” and has 4 expansions. Each expansion will add 5 more players to a clan. The second expansion will allow the clan to use the second rating for clan battles.
Shipyard is now called Shipbuilding yard (6 expansions: -10% to cost of researchable ships of I-VI level; -10% for VII-VIII level; -10% for IX-X level; -2% for all levels; -2% for all levels; -1% for all levels).
Bonuses are being added up, for example, entirely built Shipbuilding yard will give a bonus of -15% to cost of researchable ships (for any ship level).

Rostral columns features stay the same.

There is also voice accompaniment at the clan base now.

The main goal of these changes is to make Clan base more useful and valuable for players and oil to be more demanded resource.

With the release of the new clan base on the main server all buildings will be destroyed, their value will be credited to oil's account of the clan. The exception will be the Staff / Officers’ club. Thus the maximum capacity of the clans will be saved.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
It appears that the Admiral's Bounty is one of the most cost-effective purchases if you need doubloons and premium.

Also, I'm not really a fan of the New Orleans, but this ended up okay; even though damage wasn't high, it was focused on targets that went down:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Are there any guides for playing carriers better? I'd like to be better at it. Keep in mind I'm farther up the US tree than the IJN one.

Don't even think of replying, Nostalgia.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

There's this, I suppose. Most of all you need map awareness and understanding of your travel and reload times. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ltgeDv0RjM

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Are there any guides for playing carriers better? I'd like to be better at it. Keep in mind I'm farther up the US tree than the IJN one.

:nallears:

have fun getting (correctly) blamed for every loss your team will experience and being actual literal cancer

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

You have no idea how close I just came to linking Rick Astley. It's what you deserve.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cobbsprite posted:

You have no idea how close I just came to linking Rick Astley. It's what you deserve.

I know, I know, but I've chosen this path for myself and I'm going to walk it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

I wrote a guide to carriers:

When you see the carrier in your port and think, “maybe I should play that?” Remember that your not a sociopath and care about even the playing experience of other people, at least a little, and then don’t play the CV.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I know, I know, but I've chosen this path for myself and I'm going to walk it.

I mean, there's your first problem. Neither boats or planes have any feet. You gotta get used to the rudders and the ailerons.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Here's the Youtube channel of Fara, who's one of the best CV players on the European server: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxF2lm5U1ihA5dPzg-rE0OQ. Annoyingly he doesn't have his videos sorted in any way, but he does have quite a few CV guides up on various topics - rather well put-together ones at that.

I'm also morbidly amused by ZombieLenin and Nostalgia for the giant hypocrisy of calling others sociopaths when they've both cheerfully and deliberately TK'd teammates recently, but that's a different matter.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ZombieLenin posted:

I wrote a guide to carriers:

When you see the carrier in your port and think, “maybe I should play that?” Remember that your not a sociopath and care about even the playing experience of other people, at least a little, and then don’t play the CV.

But what if I am a sociopath?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Here's the Youtube channel of Fara, who's one of the best CV players on the European server: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxF2lm5U1ihA5dPzg-rE0OQ. Annoyingly he doesn't have his videos sorted in any way, but he does have quite a few CV guides up on various topics - rather well put-together ones at that.

I'm also morbidly amused by ZombieLenin and Nostalgia for the giant hypocrisy of calling others sociopaths when they've both cheerfully and deliberately TK'd teammates recently, but that's a different matter.

I think the yamato captain held his head higher than them while getting turbofucked by cvs.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

:allears:

‘member your insane stat-shaming meltdown? That was hilarious and definitely a Normal Thing To Do.

So maybe don’t throw bricks in that glass house, hun :allears:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

TKing and outright refusing to play in game are stupid but the fact remains CV play is completely broken and ruins it for everyone, the CV player included. Especially when you get to higher tiers enjoy getting screamed at for not supporting enough while the UI bugs out on trying the control your increased squads, forcing you to suicide planes by flying them directly opposite of where you told them to go. If they don't get strafed to death, they will surely enjoy a long life over the friendly skies of a Des Moines, Minotaur, Worcester, Moskva lineup.

The truth is until the rework it's just loving stupid and you're actively choosing to ruin both your time and others' out of some stubborn resolve or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Go watch farazelleth on twitch and youtube, he's a fairly affable chap and is very good at carriers and he is happy to chat about what he is doing while he streams.