Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've switched to the palomar for tying hooks and small lures on but for big lures it's too much of a pain. The two mistakes I think I was making with the improved clinch were not tightening it by holding the lure and the main line, and trimming the tag end too short.

I have a semi cheap shimano reel on my main rig, I'll look for one more that's maybe a bit cheaper, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I don't think I've ever lost a lure with a Palomar. I use 25 lb braid and the line breaks before the knot when I get hung up in trees and don't have my scissors.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

prom candy posted:

I've switched to the palomar for tying hooks and small lures on but for big lures it's too much of a pain.

Same here. I like the uniknot for things too unruly for the palomar to be practical. You can also do a double uniknot instead of a blood knot for joining lines. It's a good one to know.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Palomar is good for braid and less than 15lb test fluro/mono.

I use the canoe mans loop for all terminal knots, it’s super easy to tie and strong as hell. I tie that up to 60lb leader. Over that and I’ll do a 3-4 turn clinch knot.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

San Diego jam knot is my go-to for mono. Never had it break, and it works just as well with 8# as 50# or heavier line (even used it with rope once).

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I use palomar all day for my braid lines, but I had heard about issues with palomar breaking on mono or flouro.

I am always skeeved out putting the line in my mouth after having it in the water, down stream of a coal ash pond.

I usually put the tag of the clinch in my teeth pull with one hand on line, and another on lure and helping guide down. Some times it bundles up nicely, others it sproings out and good bye lure.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

So spit on it instead.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Enigma posted:

So spit on it instead.

New thread title

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I use the FG knot for all braid to mono connections, the double uni knot for mono to mono and what I think is called the improved blood knot for tying on hooks, swivels etc. the double uni is the worst for letting go but I think that might just be the nature of that particular knot.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
My braid to not-braid knot go-to is the Albright or Alberto or something. Has worked flawlessly so I haven't tried anything else. Doesn't the FG require you to hold the tagline with some kind of weight or something? I think I saw a guy hang it off a table or something with something attached.

hagie fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 8, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Does anybody actually use the Bimini Twist?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

hagie posted:

My braid to not-braid knot go-to is the Albright or Alberto or something. Has worked flawlessly so I haven't tried anything else. Doesn't the FG require you to hold the tagline with some kind of weight or something? I think I saw a guy hang it off a table or something with something attached.

FG is great, ever since gpd posted about it I've been using it for braid to fluoro leader. I've found it pretty easy to hold the braid tight in my teeth and manipulate the fluoro I'm tying to it with my hands. My fluoro leader has snapped a number of times, but not once at the knot.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Yeah FG is awesome. I've had a couple come loose on me, but most likely I tied them wrong or the knot wore out.

Never had a double uni fail, but it's bulky and sticks on guides.

I love knots.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Does anybody actually use the Bimini Twist?

I prefer plaited doubles for creating loops for attaching wind on leader on my trolling/sharking setups

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Same here. I like the uniknot for things too unruly for the palomar to be practical. You can also do a double uniknot instead of a blood knot for joining lines. It's a good one to know.

Nice, I'll give that a try, thanks! Had a really fun one today although I ultimately ended up losing it before I could get a pic. We were swimming off the dock and I had some goggles on, just goofing around and looking for lures or sneaky spots for fish or whatever (nephew found a mepps #4 in pretty good shape the other day just off our dock) when I saw a pretty chunky bass swimming around. I got out, grabbed the rod, waded back in, and casted over where he was. He bit my neon green wacky worm on the first cast and I hauled him up. He shook off the hook before I could get a handle on him but it was really wild to see this fish under water and then catch him while standing in the lake with the water up to my knees.

Really don't know why I didn't touch a fishing pole between age like 12 and 31 because it's all I wanna do now.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Hooplah posted:

FG is great, ever since gpd posted about it I've been using it for braid to fluoro leader. I've found it pretty easy to hold the braid tight in my teeth and manipulate the fluoro I'm tying to it with my hands. My fluoro leader has snapped a number of times, but not once at the knot.

Here's another video of it that shows a different way of tying it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDip4_e4c0U

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

LingcodKilla posted:

Shimano makes a cheap reel with a nice little gimmick called a trigger bale or some such thing. They come in three sizes and are usually around $20. It’s my go-to cheap real when I’m traveling. I’ve had my first one since the early 90s.

I have a shimano R100 with the trigger from the late 80's. It is hands-down the second best / nicest of my cheap reels, just behind my Pfleuger Trion.

The biggest issue I have with it is that the anti-reverse only locks in one spot, that being when the trigger is centered at the top in the position you need it to be in for casting. If you're not very careful about your slack and trigger position it is unbelievably easy to unspool enough line to foul the reel.

E: for the guy asking about cheap reels, the previously-mentioned Pfleuger Trion runs about $35 - 40 and for the price it is a nice reel imo. I also have an Abu Garcia Silver Max that cost about $25, it is also pretty good. Either is a significant step up from the single-bearing reels that come in cheap combos.

titties fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 8, 2018

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Wal-Mart was pretty picked over when I went yesterday so I ended up buying some knock off senkos and skipping out on the new reel. I'll check out what's on clearance at my local fishing shop when I get back home and see what I can find. I might also just save my money and buy a whole baitcasting setup later on. Or put it towards a kayak. I've been fishing in the cheapo Costco kayak my in laws have up here and it is a ton of fun. I can only imagine how great it is when you're in a stable and comfortable boat that has advanced things like storage and rod holders.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If I had $10 for every time a fishing buddy lost a lure to a poorly tied FG knot I’d....be able to replace all those lures, lol.

It’s a beautiful and elegant knot, but if it’s not dead simple to tie, I’m not interested.

The red Phillips is a bit bulkier, but still a slim and strong knot, plus I can tie it in the dark while wading and using just the moonlight.

Albright and crazy Alberto knot worked great for years, but the red Phillips IME is stronger.

For loop (terminal) knots, the trilene was consistently stronger than the others I tested, but way more work than the canoe mans which was almost as strong.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah, I finally caught my first Tarpon last Tuesday! 37”, just around the corner from the house. Ironic since I’ve cruised like 300 miles this year chasing them. And we’ve got into some big rear end black drum under the bay bridges.

Any tampa goons wanna hit it up shoot me a pm.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Ever fish under the Bayside bridge? I don’t use the Courtney Campbell often but yesterday I noticed you could park right at the beach next to it and probably only have to paddle out 5 minutes to be right under the Bayside.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm absurdly jealous of your access to bridges and other fun structure. And your water having depth. I'm stuck an hour north of ya'll in spring hell/brooksville and you can go a couple miles out and its still 10 foot deep most of the time. Plus the best shore fishing pier in my area got destroyed by some week rear end hurricane over a year ago and has yet to be fixed. :argh:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I use a surgeon knot for like 90% of my tackle. Ever since I taught MY BOYFRIEND the very basics of fishing, he's gone fishing mad and goes nearly every day to the streams and rivers by him. He's now an advocate of the Palomar knot, and belive my humble surgeon knot to be inferior. This is a rift in our relationship that may never heal.

Here's a carp he spent a month trying to catch. I am very proud of him.

Edit:hold on, attachments are being screwy

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 11, 2018

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Yesterday was a beautiful day to get out on the river

Skunked again, though. Fifth or sixth time on this river this season and I have yet to catch anything.

We're hoping to get my boat up into the deeper water upriver when the salmon run starts. I've never been salmon fishing before, I think we'll get a shot at both king and kokanee. I need a new rod and reel for it. Any thoughts on a Pfleuger President in like a 3 or 4000 size?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheBizzness posted:

Ever fish under the Bayside bridge? I don’t use the Courtney Campbell often but yesterday I noticed you could park right at the beach next to it and probably only have to paddle out 5 minutes to be right under the Bayside.

I haven’t but a friend does for redfish on the far north end. I’m sure there are Tarpon and black drum on it now, they’re everywhere.

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm absurdly jealous of your access to bridges and other fun structure. And your water having depth. I'm stuck an hour north of ya'll in spring hell/brooksville and you can go a couple miles out and its still 10 foot deep most of the time. Plus the best shore fishing pier in my area got destroyed by some week rear end hurricane over a year ago and has yet to be fixed. :argh:

Yes but those flats are epic. Tarpon, trout, redfish and of course Scallops! It’s super clear water up there.

If the weathers decent I may head a bit north of you tomorrow for scallops. If not may launch around honeymoon and look for cobia and triple tail.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I would rather swim daily and have so so fishing in beautiful Hernando and north waters than have great fishing and ick swimming that I do have, personally.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I really, really wanna try the old Sunshine Skyway pier next time I'm down there.

Today I tried a little pier out in Oriental, NC...got soaked, but a flounder and a bluefish for my troubles along with the entertainment of watching some poor rich dope getting his big rear end boat Sea Towed

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Improved clinch knot has been working well for me since I started tying them right. Still using palomar for hooks and small lures though, it's easy and seems strong. Went out on the lake with my wife and her dad tonight. She caught about 7 dinks and he caught 4-5 on worms. I fished my senkos and caught two nice fat ones. After I hauled in the second one my FIL goes "what'd you say those things are called again?"

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've always used a regular cinch knot or a snell knot for lines and never had a problem. I've hauled up literal boulders after getting snagged on them when fishing with heavy braid before, so I've never seen the necessity of switching to a palomar knot or even an improved cinch knot. Is it worth actually learning how to tie those knots and using them regularly for me?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

If it works, no. Knots are a means to an end, so if they work for you keep doing what you're doing. The primary reason I use a bunch of different types is because I enjoy using a bunch of different types.

It could be worth learning snell though if you use hooks that have eyes offset from the shank, especially circle hooks, since it helps keep the shank lined up. Otherwise, meh.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

I've always used a regular cinch knot or a snell knot for lines and never had a problem. I've hauled up literal boulders after getting snagged on them when fishing with heavy braid before, so I've never seen the necessity of switching to a palomar knot or even an improved cinch knot. Is it worth actually learning how to tie those knots and using them regularly for me?
The only real advantages the Palomar knot has is that it

1. is easier to tie than most other knots
  2. holds when tied with braided line, unlike most other knots

and that's about it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It's also incredibly strong and easy to tie. I have hosed up arthritis hands and I can do it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, I use a snell for some stuff and have no problems with braid on my normal knot. I just tried tying a palomar on my spinning rod, so we'll see tomorrow.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The main advatages of the palomar are a) as was said it works for braided lines and b) as far as knots being the weakest point in your line, the loss of strength is smaller than with other knots.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Palomar is great for tying braid to a swivel. Remember tie the leader size to swivel first, then the mainline. Otherwise you can’t use a palomar on the second knot. unless you do the loop around the entire rod :banjo:

For my lure or hook, I never use the palomar as it kills some of the action. Always use a loop knot. Canoe mans loop is my pick. I can tie it in 3 seconds and you don’t need to trim the tag end.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Last week I was fishing the Chesapeake Bay. After a 60 yard wade from the house, I worked a boat channel with cut squid and caught flounder, bluefish, croaker and my first toadfish (also the mandatory pinfish and skate). After getting skunked fishing saltwater the last few trips I was loving due.

Improved clinch knot ftw.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

tesilential posted:

The Palomar is great for tying braid to a swivel. Remember tie the leader size to swivel first, then the mainline. Otherwise you can’t use a palomar on the second knot. unless you do the loop around the entire rod :banjo:

For my lure or hook, I never use the palomar as it kills some of the action. Always use a loop knot. Canoe mans loop is my pick. I can tie it in 3 seconds and you don’t need to trim the tag end.

I use a swivel with a "clamp" on one side not sure what you call it, my fishing English is lacking. So you just tie it to main and then clip on the lead

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How does the palomar kill the action?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

prom candy posted:

How does the palomar kill the action?

Any non loop knot has less action than a loop knot. The palomar even more so since the line is doubled on the eyelet of the lure, locking it down stiffer than say a clinch knot. With a loop knot the lure moves freely even within the knot itself, a way more lively presentation.

Tie on a loop knot on one lure and a palomar on another and wiggle them around and see for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That's pretty interesting. I need to get some kind of knot tying desk toy I think.