Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
The ISO:FT Fantasy Football Beer League is looking for 1-2 more players for the upcoming 5th season.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864699

It's basically a normal PPR fantasy football league(draft is up for vote, auction last few years), except your dues are $50 of regionally available craft beer to be shipped out no later than the Super Bowl. Let us know if you are interested- if you are and you aren't entirely sure in your ability to handle the buy-in, lemme know and we can discuss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The real issue with dynasty values is that there is no standard dynasty league format. When I was setting up our league a few years ago I spent weeks looking at the fairly sparse online resources about dynasty and there was a lot of variation. The best resources basically stated as much and gave some guidance about setups, but a ton of important details were always left out.

Not just starter and bench composition, either; scoring obviously, but all kinds of things. Taxi squads, contracts, IR eligibility, salary caps, IDP, salary escalation, it goes on and on. Some leagues you can only keep a guy for a four or five year contract and then they are forced onto the open market, other leagues you can effectively keep a guy his whole career.

Auction vs. snake drafts, rookies + free agents at once or separate, it just goes on and on.

I think the result is that dynasty projection would require a dedicated set of analysts who are willing to fully engage with the full spectrum of rules and come up with projections that vary across different key rulesets. It would be a huge amount of work for what is probably a pretty small audience, compared to just focusing on standard format redraft.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RCarr posted:

Well the auction calculator let’s me set 16 man benches so I figure that takes care of that aspect.

Yeah, then only other thing is being smart about future value. Guice is obviously worth 0 in redraft, but still a definite 1st round rookie pick in dynasty. Same with most rookie players, outside instant impact RBs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I can make a redraft sheet with big benches if you want.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I can make a redraft sheet with big benches if you want.

That would be awesome

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

That would be awesome

PM me.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I've had this weird idea rolling around my head about a fantasy football league that combines WWE wrestling with fantasy football. For instance, every team (would be an 8 man league to keep the talent pool large) would pick a wrestler. You could determine draft order via a match using Fire Pro or WWE 17 or something similar. Then you use a point total type league and work with that to keep it interesting.

Various ideas I've had for the year:
Week 1 is a Wrestlemania 4 style tournament. All 8 teams play against each other.
Week 2, the four winners play each other
Week 3, the two winners play each other. The winner is declared the WWE champion.

From that point on, every team gets at least one shot at playing for the championship. Since it's a total points league, you could basically ignore the premade schedule and just declare matches and have those weeks score against each other. The three people who played for the championship in weeks 2 and 3 could be the #1-3 contenders to start the season.

Various PPVs could be in place for various weeks. Examples include:
1. Money in the Bank. The six players not playing in the championship match for that week play for the top score and the right to declare themselves a chance to insert themselves into a championship match (must be declared before Sunday night game) for a chance at winning the highest point total of the championship match to become the champion) Must be cashed in before Week 14.
2. Extreme Rules - Every team gets one scoring rule change for their match. Scoring is reset to regular rules after that week. Similar to the Calvinball league.
3. Royal Rumble (Done at week 14) - All teams not the champion play for the top score for a guaranteed match at Wrestlemania
4. Wrestlemania - Week 16 - Winner of Royal Rumble vs current champion

You could work in a promo system where the people who make the best promos (or post promos of their wrestlers) gets anywhere from a +1 to a +5 added to their score as decided by the WWE CEO (commissioner). Every week, the championship is defended except for the Royal Rumble. I've toyed around with a tag team champion to keep people interested if they're not currently in the mix for the main champion. I think the league would be fun, but I think the commissioner would have to be someone who didn't have a team in the league to keep it fair.

You could keep a championship lineage and see how long it takes before you get a Ric Flair/John Cena in your league, but obviously the one who wins at Wrestlemania is the ultimate champion for the year. You could make triple threat/fatal 4-way championship matches and the like during the year to keep it interesting (which is another reason why the CEO shouldn't actually have a team in the league). Either it's a really silly idea and would be a pain to implement, or it could be fun.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 11, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What do you guys think about me offering the #2 overall pick this year, my first round pick next year (should be pick 7-10 since I’ll make the playoffs) and Allen Robinson ($12) for the first overall pick this year (Saquon Barkley $20)?

It’s an over pay but I think I’ll win my league this year and be set up nicely for the future.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 12, 2018

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

RCarr posted:

What do you guys think about me offering the #2 overall pick this year, my first round pick next year (should be pick 7-10 since I’ll make the playoffs) and Allen Robinson ($12) for the first overall pick this year (Saquon Barkley $20)?

It’s an over pay but I think I’ll win my league this year and be set up nicely for the future.

Not really much of an overpay to me.

I’d offer it.

1.01 offers I’ve seen be accepted lately are:
Cook & 1.02 (before Guice got hurt)
Gordon & 1.10

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

It's a solid offer.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Another thought I'm mulling over after Week 1 of preseason football(!): Jamaal Williams deserves more love than he is getting. FantasyPros has him at RB33, behind five rookies that aren't even Barkley or Guice. He ought to be a full tier higher as an RB2 with upside in a high-scoring offense.

Up to this point, I have been generally accepting the conventional wisdom that Williams will get early down work, and may not hold off Aaron Jones over the long term, but Montgomery will be a valuable third-down back for the team which will hurt Williams' upside. But I thought their usage in the first preseason game was telling. Williams played 13 snaps and was done after the third drive; his last touch came at 9:26 in the 2nd. He saw three touches on the first drive, including a TD reception, and had another reception wiped out by penalty. Montgomery played 29 snaps and was 0 for 2 on his targets while being asked to do a fair amount of pass blocking. His second carry didn't come until 4:12 in the 2nd, after Williams' day was done.

That's a lot of snaps for Montgomery in a meaningless game, especially given his durability concerns. That's how you use a backup RB, not a valued member of your passing offense. Compare that to the Patriots, where Rex Burkhead skipped the first preseason game and James White played 5 snaps. So that makes me suspicious of the assumption that Montgomery is going to have a big third-down role. Williams can pass protect and catch the ball out of the backfield so he's not just an early down thumper. Montgomery has a little more zazz to him as a receiver but if the coaches are viewing him as a backup player, then Williams has a real chance to see significant volume in this offense. Aaron Jones may be a superior talent at running the ball but I feel safe in thinking he's far enough behind Williams now that he will need an injury to make any noise again.

And look at what Williams did from week 10 on last year:

He is going to be a steal if he stays in that 7th-8th round range.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

He put up 3.6 YPC in a competitive backfield?

I think GBP is a backfield to avoid. Too much competition for me. Jones is the most dynamic runner of what I've seen. Williams appears most durable, but he missed games with injury too.

Jones put up 100 fewer yards on half the carries last year - 5.5ish YPC. sure he's suspended to start, but he's still my bet for the bulk of the ground work. Maybe Williams takes the third down role from tymont, maybe he is the starting back when Jones returns, but it's not something I'd bet on aside from best ball leagues atm

Unlike Baltimore where I feel like there's a strong leader, I don't get the same vibe in GB.

Zauper fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 12, 2018

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

YPC is just one stat though. I don't think he needs to have the highest YPC for the coaches to consider them their best back and I think Green Bay coaches are telling us that. Playing three drives and only 13 snaps, I did not get any sense that he was competing for the #1 role. That looked like a guy already being treated like the starter. Jones has been a nonfactor through the first week of camp with a hammy injury and already has a suspension to look forward to. When they were both on the field at the end of last year, Williams was getting a lot more work while Jones was relegated to back up duties. I don't think the competition is as close as fantasy thinkers are fearing.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Tiptoes posted:

YPC is just one stat though. I don't think he needs to have the highest YPC for the coaches to consider them their best back and I think Green Bay coaches are telling us that. Playing three drives and only 13 snaps, I did not get any sense that he was competing for the #1 role. That looked like a guy already being treated like the starter. Jones has been a nonfactor through the first week of camp with a hammy injury and already has a suspension to look forward to. When they were both on the field at the end of last year, Williams was getting a lot more work while Jones was relegated to back up duties. I don't think the competition is as close as fantasy thinkers are fearing.

All stats are just one stat? I mean, ok. One preseason game snapcount is also just one stat. In game... 9? last season, Williams had a 50%+ snap share and only 3 touches. Jones and TyMont both looked like -- and performed like -- better runners when they were on the field last season. Every time one of the other two and Jwill were healthy at the same time, Williams was out-snapped and out-performed. Williams was just the healthiest. They both look better in a rotoviz split than JWill if you prorate their partial seasons from when they were lead back.

Last season, over your 8 game sample, he was a RB1 or RB2 in 4 of those games in the league I'm looking at, the other 4 he was RB3 or below. Most of those you wouldn't have wanted to start him. Sure, maybe that's a great flyer. But that was also a situation where the other two RBs on the roster were injured and he was essentially getting 100% playtime -- I'd expect him to get a lower share, even if he is the lead back this season. Jones and TyMont were both severely impacted by their injuries.

Coach speak, but “The fact of the matter is we’re going to go running back by committee,” doesn't read well for your narrative of JWill being a bellcow there.

My recollection is that last year when they were all quasi-healthy in game 8/9ish, we saw them rotate by series. The Packers brought in a new/old OC, but have used a bunch of no huddle without rotating on/off the field recently. I think Philbin largely did the same and used the same personnel most of the time. If that's the case, then it could be good or bad, but it means that a '1/2 down' role isn't likely to happen for whatever RB is on the field.

However, according to reports out of training camp, TyMont has been being used as the RB in all 2-minute / no-huddle drives. As a result, I'd largely expect him to be the 3rd down back and reduce the share Williams saw last year at a minimum.

Zauper fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 12, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
While I agree that YPC can be misleading, and isn't terribly predictive, I also agree that one preseason game doesn't necessarily make the GB situation any less obtuse.

They could have kept Montgomery in because they wanted to evaluate him, giving him a chance to demonstrate how well he's recovered against a real opponent. Maybe if this was the third week I would be more likely to agree with you.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
AB84 makin me shout at my computer over here.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1028479398423482368

https://twitter.com/receiverfactory/status/1024987289565491201

https://twitter.com/AB84/status/1024857369866653701

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Zauper posted:

All stats are just one stat? I mean, ok. One preseason game snapcount is also just one stat. In game... 9? last season, Williams had a 50%+ snap share and only 3 touches. Jones and TyMont both looked like -- and performed like -- better runners when they were on the field last season. Every time one of the other two and Jwill were healthy at the same time, Williams was out-snapped and out-performed. Williams was just the healthiest. They both look better in a rotoviz split than JWill if you prorate their partial seasons from when they were lead back.
These aren't true at all. The week 9 game you cite where Williams had 3 touches? He played 15% of offensive snaps, not 50%. And after week 10, no one came close to outsnapping him in any game and there was only one game where he had fewer than 15 touches.

quote:

Coach speak, but “The fact of the matter is we’re going to go running back by committee,” doesn't read well for your narrative of JWill being a bellcow there.

quote:

"The fact of the matter is we're going to go running back by committee," he said during an interview at the conclusion of the offseason program. "But if one of them would emerge as that full-time guy then you have to have that ability to ... adjust to that. As far as planning and going into the season, that's why we're going about it that way. We feel like we've got three guys that have all done it, but they haven't done it over a long period of time, so I think it's just practical thinking from that position and realizing that it's a very demanding position."
"We're going to go with a committee unless we use a feature back instead" is 100% coachspeak. He's absolutely having it both ways with those comments.

quote:

However, according to reports out of training camp, TyMont has been being used as the RB in all 2-minute / no-huddle drives. As a result, I'd largely expect him to be the 3rd down back and reduce the share Williams saw last year at a minimum.
There is a difference between a guy being your 2-minute drill back and being your primary back for passing downs. No-huddle shotgun plays accounted for 8.77% of GB plays last year and 12.31% in 2016. When Joe Philbin was previously their OC from 2007-2011, their highest no-huddle rate was 6.07% in 2011. So while Montgomery might be their choice on no-huddle plays, I don't think they're going to run no-huddle nearly enough to ruin Williams' volume. The Pats have James White as a no-huddle back but that doesn't concern me about Rex Burkhead or Sony Michel's volume. The Eagles have Corey Clement as a no-huddle back and I'm not concerned about Jay Ajayi's volume. The Lions have Theo Riddick (and LeGarrette Blount competing for early down work) and Kerryon Johnson still has a higher ADP than Williams. Green Bay isn't the only team with a preferred 2-minute drill guy that isn't their main ballcarrier so the Montgomery concerns don't seem nearly as scary to me. They're just ringing a little louder than other teams and I feel it is artificially depressing Williams' price now. I think Williams is still a good bet for ~40 receptions.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
edit: poo poo nm, not jumping into the fray with half data

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Do we think Luck is back?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
gently caress yeah he is. 5000/45 coming up.

Dont tell my leaguemates though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

Do we think Luck is back?

I do.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Not drafting Luck anywhere, not even considering it. Let someone else take the inflated risk while I take a healthy pro-bowl QB with better WRs like Ben or Stafford or Ryan or four other guys. Many of whom you can get later anyway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leaving Luck aside entirely; are the Colts less terribly run and loaded with garbage players? Frank Gore is gone, and TY Hilton is presumably still good, but... who else?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Leperflesh posted:

Leaving Luck aside entirely; are the Colts less terribly run and loaded with garbage players? Frank Gore is gone, and TY Hilton is presumably still good, but... who else?

New GM went heavy on the O-line and picked an almost certainly perennial all-pro guard and another guard in the 2nd, Deon Caine was supposedly looking good till the ACL gods reaped him, and the center they took the previous draft should be coming into his own. The offensive line should be better at keeping whoever is behind them upright now despite 0 talent at tackle.

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 13, 2018

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Jack Doyle and Eric Ebron are a sneaky-good TE duo. With their lack of depth at WR, I think we'll see a lot of multi-TE formations, plus Luck has plenty of prior success with that sort of personnel. I like Ebron as a post-hype breakout candidate.

With the upgrades on the o-line, the run game should be improved as well. HC Reich loves committees so the sum of all parts will likely look better than any individual contributions. But Marlon Mack's hamstring injury and Nyheim Hines making GBS threads his pants in his first preseason game ought to get more reps for other guys. Unfortunately Bob Turbin and Christine Michael are the guys behind Mack right now but I think a path could be opening up for Jordan Wilkins sooner rather than later. It gives me vibes similar to the 2016 Bears, where inefficiency at the top of the depth chart opened things up for a fifth rounder with better traits.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

The real issue with dynasty values is that there is no standard dynasty league format. When I was setting up our league a few years ago I spent weeks looking at the fairly sparse online resources about dynasty and there was a lot of variation. The best resources basically stated as much and gave some guidance about setups, but a ton of important details were always left out.

Not just starter and bench composition, either; scoring obviously, but all kinds of things. Taxi squads, contracts, IR eligibility, salary caps, IDP, salary escalation, it goes on and on. Some leagues you can only keep a guy for a four or five year contract and then they are forced onto the open market, other leagues you can effectively keep a guy his whole career.

Auction vs. snake drafts, rookies + free agents at once or separate, it just goes on and on.

I think the result is that dynasty projection would require a dedicated set of analysts who are willing to fully engage with the full spectrum of rules and come up with projections that vary across different key rulesets. It would be a huge amount of work for what is probably a pretty small audience, compared to just focusing on standard format redraft.

I’m about to join a dynasty league for the first time and all of us have never played dynasty before and the text thread trying to figure out the rules is hilariously long and convoluted. I have no idea how we’re all going to do this and this first draft is absolutely the most important one. So far we’ve decided to do an auction the first year and then follow NFL rules for the draft after that based on record. We have 25 roster spots and we’re currently arguing how much auction money we should get and I’m not kidding you right now it’s $331. This whole thing is taking way too much time and energy and I hope it’s worth it. Oh one other thing 10 of the 12 teams are Chiefs fans so Mahomes is is probably going to go for $100 or something. Maybe not that bad but close

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

RCarr posted:

Nice thanks

Edit: I bought it and there doesn’t seem to be any auction $ values...

You can definitely set it to show auction values based on league settings, but I missed the part about dynasty rankings, so for that I apologize.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

kiimo posted:

I’m about to join a dynasty league for the first time and all of us have never played dynasty before and the text thread trying to figure out the rules is hilariously long and convoluted. I have no idea how we’re all going to do this and this first draft is absolutely the most important one. So far we’ve decided to do an auction the first year and then follow NFL rules for the draft after that based on record. We have 25 roster spots and we’re currently arguing how much auction money we should get and I’m not kidding you right now it’s $331. This whole thing is taking way too much time and energy and I hope it’s worth it. Oh one other thing 10 of the 12 teams are Chiefs fans so Mahomes is is probably going to go for $100 or something. Maybe not that bad but close

We used $200 in ourstartup auction last year. Honesty it doesn’t really matter, the prices of the players will stay relative to the cap no matter how big or small it is.

I was offered Alex Collins ($2), 2018 3.09, and a 2019 first round pick for my #2 overall pick this year. Should I consider that, or just stick with my pick and grab Guice and throw him on the IR? Or draft one of the other rookie RB’s? I’m at a loss for what to do now that Guice is hurt.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1029081178953764865

probably depth but I can see him pushing out Mostert and Joe Williams and being really loving annoying for McKinnon owners at the goal line

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-8ef8J2xJ0

Given the conversation on Alex Collins last week I figured sharing this would be worth doing. The gist of it is that Harris doesn't like how well Collins changes direction and that he's not terribly fast, but acknowledges that's strong and can break tackles.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Too bad he was later seen limping on the sidelines.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
We still only drafting 1 TE in redraft this year?

Doing these mock drafts I can't get out of the dynasty mindset and always end up with 2 on my team.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
https://twitter.com/Giants/status/1029108332760653824

Ashes, ashes, they all fall down.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

pubic works project posted:

Too bad he was later seen limping on the sidelines.

https://twitter.com/AB84/status/1029137803173658626

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Is there a FF engine/site that can account for weekly bonuses to individual players? Like if you wanted to give someone +4 pts for starting Trubisky, -1 for Brady, etc.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, how much do you guys like dynasty leagues? Only type of league I'm not in.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I love it, because it's so immersive and decisions can have consequences for years. I hate it, because it takes a lot more effort, and mistakes can have consequences for years. I think having good rules and solid leadership and fair-minded owners is even more critical, though.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Leperflesh posted:

I love it, because it's so immersive and decisions can have consequences for years. I hate it, because it takes a lot more effort, and mistakes can have consequences for years. I think having good rules and solid leadership and fair-minded owners is even more critical, though.

Agreed with all of this, particularly in regards to owners. My league has mostly good owners but there's still one or two who try to do things like screw over the new guy or trade in bad faith (see: the dude who emailed every other owner between the time McKinnon hurt himself and the time the MRI was announced with "hey, interested in McKinnon?" and then played dumb each time someone called him on his BS).

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Any goon Year 1 startup dynasty leagues got an open spot? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Alfalfa posted:

We still only drafting 1 TE in redraft this year?

Doing these mock drafts I can't get out of the dynasty mindset and always end up with 2 on my team.
Unless you REALLY like your TE, I think it's worth it to draft two. If you can't in a short bench league, then you can't, but I think it's worth it this year to grab two, see how the TE ranks shake out while trying to maximize the points your getting in the early matchups, then cut bait on one when you need the roster space for bye weeks.