Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/kazrowe/status/1025820245330518021?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My greyhound is also an anorexic brontosaurus with an ostrich head

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Greyhounds, how do they work?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

This is an amazing (not to mention accurate) picture! :D

DarkHorse posted:

He pooped in the house last night. After he woke us up to be let out to pee. :geno:

What I’m saying is everyone should get a greyhound

Also, funnily enough I read your post last night on my couch, before going to bed; thinking "I can't help but be glad that for the last couple of years, I've never had to compete for couch space with Tazo", since he always slept on his bed at night.
...but this morning, day two at the new house, I woke up and found Tazo's bed empty! I initially thought he was down the hall and had an accident or something, since him moving is a very rare occurrence, however I found that (to my relief and shock) he had pulled my blanket off the couch and hopped up on it with his own! :stonk:

"Oh...you're awake"

I'm not quite sure how he pulled off bringing his blanket with him, but dammit that was probably the best sleep he's ever had...I'm concerned that in the future I'll have to sit on a mat on the floor now, while he sits like a king on the couch! (Unless he's been covertly sleeping on the couch in the past, I suppose - and this is merely the one time I've caught him out on it...)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
What a smart Tazo :3:

Sparty doesn’t “get” blankets. We have some on the couch, and he’ll lay on them sometimes, but if they’re in his way he’ll just scratch them onto the floor.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

What a smart Tazo :3:

Sparty doesn’t “get” blankets. We have some on the couch, and he’ll lay on them sometimes, but if they’re in his way he’ll just scratch them onto the floor.

haha yeah, I'm grateful that he at least had the decency to move mine, before plonking himself onto the couch for the night! (Interestingly, he was also sleeping right where I sit. Not sure if that was intentional, or if it's just where he happened to hop on)

And to be honest, I'm surprised that he's been able to grasp the use/purpose of blankets, myself. Since if he wants to reposition on his bed, normally he'll just sit up/prop himself up with his forelegs, stretch them, then get up and move around, which would cause the blanket to slide off. But if he has a blanket already on him, he'll maneuver himself so that he can stand up while keeping his back horizontal, before getting up - which allows him to walk around with his blanket draped over him, haha :D
(I still remember the first time I put a blanket on him though; He was just shocked and looked at me and the blanket out the corner of his eye -without raising his head, of course- wondering what on earth that added weight is for, before falling in love with the added warmth it provides)

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

But if he has a blanket already on him, he'll maneuver himself so that he can stand up while keeping his back horizontal, before getting up - which allows him to walk around with his blanket draped over him, haha :D

Must be a southern hemisphere greyhound thing.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Radiation Cow posted:

Must be a southern hemisphere greyhound thing.

Aww, look at those eyes! :3:

And well, Tazo did the same thing again last night - although I spread my blanket out first, so that if he did hop on, he'd at least be sleeping on that, instead of on the couch directly. Although I've been shooing him off it when I see him sitting there (just so that hopefully he doesn't think I'm accepting him being there) I'm not overly bothered at this point, since he only (temporarily) has a thin mat on cold flooring for an indoor bed at this point; he's got a big cushion/mattressy bed coming, but it's not here yet - I'm sure he'll be happy with that, once it arrives...hopefully

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

There was a little blood in Bonnie’s poop tonight I think. Is that a straight-to-vet thing, or a wait-and-see thing? She seems otherwise mostly fine, she was a bit slow to eat today but she can be like that sometimes so it wasn’t terribly out of the ordinary. Didn’t seem in pain while passing the stool.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
One fine Christmas morning my greyhound, Gannon, was off his food and gassy all day. Then around noon I was taking him around the block, he walked halfway up a snowbank, squatted and unleashed a torrent of blood and poop. I found an open vet on the other side of town and got him there as fast as could. The vet's reaction was "yeah sometimes their gut bacteria gets funky and they just do that" gave him a quick exam to make sure there was nothing else going on and gave me a packet of chewable probiotic treats. He was fine pretty much immediately.

He still occasionally just goes off his food and if I don't catch it quick enough sometimes there's a bit of blood in the poop. The moral is your dog is probably fine. Take her to the vet if it doesn't seem better by tomorrow though. Pepto-bismol is safe for greyhounds and is my go to if their stomach starts gurgling (I shoot in in his mouth with a syringe. Make sure you throw down an old towel or do it on an easy to clean surface though). The other thing to do is make some white rice and mix it either with boiled ground beef or wet food. It's easy to digest and will settle the stomach. I usually give the rice and beef about an hour after the pepto.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Thanks buddy. This morning she did a poop that didn’t have any blood, just was a bit discoloured and had an iron smell. So I’m guessing it was just mopping up any blood that had been left over in her gut. She’s in super happy form so far this morning so I’m guessing it’s worth keeping an eye on rather than panicking too much

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

My pup has melted in the heatwave.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
This is my buddy, Jackfox. He passed to the Rainbow Bridge earlier today. I will miss him.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Aw poo poo buddy, that really sucks. He looks like he was a real good dog. It’ll be a while before you feel okay, but it does get better :glomp:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

spoon daddy posted:

This is my buddy, Jackfox. He passed to the Rainbow Bridge earlier today. I will miss him.

I'm really sorry! He looks like a very good dog. Looks like he had a nice long life too.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

greyface doggos best doggos

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

actionjackson posted:

I'm really sorry! He looks like a very good dog. Looks like he had a nice long life too.

Thanks. He turned 14 in May and had him since just before his 5th birthday as a re-home.

He was really the best dog for me because we connected so well. Unfortunately, my other greyhound is 13 and has her own troubles. I'm bracing myself for a 2nd blow in the near future.

Here's Jackfox with his adopted sister Beverly:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

spoon daddy posted:

Thanks. He turned 14 in May and had him since just before his 5th birthday as a re-home.

He was really the best dog for me because we connected so well. Unfortunately, my other greyhound is 13 and has her own troubles. I'm bracing myself for a 2nd blow in the near future.

Here's Jackfox with his adopted sister Beverly:

He looks like a sweet boy. I'm sure he has left you with many many happy memories.

It's very funny that he thinks a big bony butt is a good pillow. Such special doggos. :kimchi:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

skoolmunkee posted:

He looks like a sweet boy. I'm sure he has left you with many many happy memories.

It's very funny that he thinks a big bony butt is a good pillow. Such special doggos. :kimchi:

Excuse me but I think you will find that actually their butts are full and meaty tyvm :colbert:

Jackfox looks like a very sweet boy, thank you for sharing him with us. Any particular stories you’d like to tell about him?

Edit:

The dog of nobility, ladies and gentlemen

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 12, 2018

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

Excuse me but I think you will find that actually their butts are full and meaty tyvm :colbert:

Jackfox looks like a very sweet boy, thank you for sharing him with us. Any particular stories you’d like to tell about him?

I love your noble doggo ;)

And Thanks for the kind words, Jackfox really was a sweet boy. As far stories, a few of his escapades include:

* constantly digging up and eating a wild chili plant we had in our backyard. He kept getting a belly ache and would cry and cry. At first It took us a while to figure out what was going on. Then my wife found the partially eaten pepper. Her first attempt at digging it up failed and it grew back only for the goober to eat it again and get another belly ache. We managed to get it fully dug up the 2nd time so he would stop giving himself belly aches.

* training me to get him treats. He would get up and walk to me and bark at me until I got him treats. I would act like I had no idea what he was doing and he would keep barking at me like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8GIyKBrDys

* He was a very tolerant dog with children and endured quite a bit from my grandchildren but with birds and other critters, not so much. We had one mockingbird constantly dive bombing him one afternoon and he got fed up and in one fell swoop jumped up, swatted it down, and just casually walked away. That bird got up, flew away and we didn't see it again.

* Zoomies. He's a greyhound, its no surprise that he loved doing zoomies. Sorry for the crappy video quality but it should give you the basic idea of how fast he was(clocked him at 42mph at a Greyhound meet and greet): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFnXVZDFO-s

Thanks for asking me to share. It helps a lot.

spoon daddy fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 13, 2018

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Oh goodness, the chili plant had me rolling, that is such a Spartacus thing to do. I love hound stories, they’re such clowns, I’d love to hear more! I’m glad they help too :)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It’s awesome that you’re able to share stuff about Jackfox. Repeatedly eating chillies is peak long boi silliness :unsmith:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Finally got the video to load, Jackfox spinning in circles is the most hilarious adorable thing. He clearly loves having that big yard to play in :3:

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

Oh goodness, the chili plant had me rolling, that is such a Spartacus thing to do. I love hound stories, they’re such clowns, I’d love to hear more! I’m glad they help too :)
More hound stories.

The first time I brought him to the local dog park he wandered around marking up everything he could find. Then he came across the pond in the park and curiosity got the better of him. He jumped in and I'm not sure what he was expecting but landing in the water that was only hip deep was such a shock to him(and it wasn't cold, it was about 80 degrees out) that he froze like a statue. I ended up having to trudge in the water and lift him and carry him to the land. The entire time his body was rigid like a statue.

Then there was his normal poop antics. Like any other dog he would spend his time sniffing for a good spot. Except it never was just a spot. He'd find a tree or bush in our backyard, spin around and point his rear towards the tree/bush, squat and back into the tree/bush as far as he could and poop. When we moved to our current place, during our walks he added the local stop sign to the places he'd back up and poop on.

Last one. My wife did her best to keep him off our couch. He knew it was forbidden and would scramble off the couch as soon as we would enter the room. One time, while out of the house, we checked in on him using a network camera and he was on the couch sleeping. I called the house phone while watching him on my phone. When the answering machine picked up I started to yell at him to get off the couch. He woke up, cocked his head towards the phone, acknowledged he heard me, sniffed in the general direction and went back to sleep while I was yelling at him through the answering machine.

DarkHorse posted:

Finally got the video to load, Jackfox spinning in circles is the most hilarious adorable thing. He clearly loves having that big yard to play in :3:

You can't tell in that video but when he disappears to right he was cutting the corners extremely close at full speed. We always expected him to clip a corner but he never did.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

spoon daddy posted:

The first time I brought him to the local dog park he wandered around marking up everything he could find. Then he came across the pond in the park and curiosity got the better of him. He jumped in and I'm not sure what he was expecting but landing in the water that was only hip deep was such a shock to him(and it wasn't cold, it was about 80 degrees out) that he froze like a statue. I ended up having to trudge in the water and lift him and carry him to the land. The entire time his body was rigid like a statue.

That's hilarious! I've never seen a dog do anything quite like that, to be honest. Does he like paddling around in deeper (or shallower?) water, or was that the first time? When I took Tazo to the beach for the first time, he was highly wary of the water - but after a while he was running/wading through it, happy as can be

spoon daddy posted:

Last one. My wife did her best to keep him off our couch. He knew it was forbidden and would scramble off the couch as soon as we would enter the room. One time, while out of the house, we checked in on him using a network camera and he was on the couch sleeping. I called the house phone while watching him on my phone. When the answering machine picked up I started to yell at him to get off the couch. He woke up, cocked his head towards the phone, acknowledged he heard me, sniffed in the general direction and went back to sleep while I was yelling at him through the answering machine.

Also, that's interesting. (Not to mention very cheeky!) I had never thought about telling dogs off via the answering machine, to be honest! Pretty funny that he knew it was your voice, but since you weren't there in person, he figured you were all talk/bluffing and continued his snooze! :D

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Major Isoor posted:

That's hilarious! I've never seen a dog do anything quite like that, to be honest. Does he like paddling around in deeper (or shallower?) water, or was that the first time? When I took Tazo to the beach for the first time, he was highly wary of the water - but after a while he was running/wading through it, happy as can be

Oops my wife just corrected my memory. I blame the fact that I was paying attention to his sister at the time who was off playing with some other dogs. All I remember was my wife yelling at me to get him out. She reminded me that he was sniffing on a little bit of land hanging over the pond and leaned a little too far over the edge and fell in. He was never a fan of water, even before this event. Even those little kid pools were too much water for him.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hahaha! I love that he just decided to ignore you :3:

Sparty ignored me even when he could see when he got loose (a little kid didn’t latch the door and he made a jailbreak). He was trotting down the sidewalk, and I yelled at him to come back only a few seconds later.

He looked at me, looked at the open road, back at me, and decided he preferred adventure

I had to chase him down in my tiny coupe and cram him in the front seat

Plate
Jul 5, 2006
Love for the rest of us
Fallen Rib

spoon daddy posted:

Oops my wife just corrected my memory. I blame the fact that I was paying attention to his sister at the time who was off playing with some other dogs. All I remember was my wife yelling at me to get him out. She reminded me that he was sniffing on a little bit of land hanging over the pond and leaned a little too far over the edge and fell in. He was never a fan of water, even before this event. Even those little kid pools were too much water for him.

Haha, Zeph recently got his first experience of deeper-than-a-puddle water. I took him for a lakeside walk and let him go to the edge to see if he fancied a slurp. He just stepped forward like he was expecting a couple of inches of water and essentially it was like holding the lead with a bucking deer on the end. He thrashed and bucked around a few seconds and jumped back onto land. The water was only like up to the top of his legs, but he completely freaked.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Gannon loves the water. I walk him down to the beach and he just wades out into the lake and lies down for a good soak. He bucks like a horse to get away if I even look at the hose though.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

jesus WEP posted:

It’s awesome that you’re able to share stuff about Jackfox. Repeatedly eating chillies is peak long boi silliness :unsmith:

Oh, one other thing my wife reminded me related to his chili pepper escapade. Before we figured out what was going on we noticed that his package and his rear end were red and irritated. We initially had no idea what was going on. After we figured out that he was eating the chili pepper we realized that he had been licking himself and irritating his package and his rear end. I'll never get tired of crazy hound stories.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Someone adopted this girl from AAGI back in June, but my wife found her on Craigslist this past weekend. AAGI has a unwritten policy where any supporters who find greyhounds for sale can pay whatever the owner is asking and they will take them back and reimburse you. She raced under Jo Jo’s Dancer and her last owner called her Achira. She doesn’t respond to either. We haven’t decided yet if she will actually go to AAGI or just stay with us. This wouldn’t be the first time we rescued a dog and took it to AAGI. My wife has been begging for a second dog for what seems like forever now so this may end up being her new home. She gets along well with Jake, and they are technically cousins separated by one generation. He still gets awkward boners around her though.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
That girl looks awfully comfy, it would be wrong to disturb her.

Congrats on your new dog! :getin:

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

That girl looks awfully comfy, it would be wrong to disturb her.

Congrats on your new dog! :getin:

Looks like Jake has a new friend!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Call you new dog Aggie to remind you of the mistake you almost made

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

She has the best spots, ergo, you have to keep her.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

greyhounds go so insanely bald in summer which is annoying because of all the hair, and adorable because of their spotty bellies and legs :3:

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
We’re keeping her :) Time to come up with a name.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Yay! Congrats!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

Call you new dog Aggie to remind you of the mistake you almost made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Congrats! Looking forward to more pictures.