Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don Gato posted:

So did the Romans think of other gods as equivalents to their own gods or did they see the world more as "my God can beat up your God"? I'm sorry if this is an obvious question but I've been having trouble figuring out how the Romans saw religion.

"What do you mean 'your' god? They're my gods now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Grand Fromage posted:

He's being very specific. The native Roman religion has no named gods. What we think of as the Roman gods are one of the many branches of the old pan-Mediterranean religion, likely first adopted from Etruscan forms.
Pan-Mediterranean? That's interesting, as I'd assumed the relationship was more broadly indoeuropean, since even the germanic religions had direct cognates (like Tues to Deus/Zues). Guess that's either different time scales or maybe a later crossover.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyway Romans seemed to accept all gods as real, either as foreign names/aspects of more familiar ones or as deities from elsewhere.

My favorite is Romans writing about India somehow deciding the Buddha was a foreign name for Hercules.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Thanks my dude.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Scarodactyl posted:

Pan-Mediterranean? That's interesting, as I'd assumed the relationship was more broadly indoeuropean, since even the germanic religions had direct cognates (like Tues to Deus/Zues). Guess that's either different time scales or maybe a later crossover.

It could be, that's all so far preliterate that it's real tough to know anything.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyway Romans seemed to accept all gods as real, either as foreign names/aspects of more familiar ones or as deities from elsewhere.

Isn't that how Hinduism deals with potential conflicts of faith as well?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kinda. In Hinduism (at least some types) every divine is an aspect of Brahman, whether it be a native one like say Shiva or someone foreign like Jesus.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

My favorite is Romans writing about India somehow deciding the Buddha was a foreign name for Hercules.

Ancient Greece influenced India a lot thanks to Alexander the Great and there were even discovered a statue of Hercules in Mathura:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Ancient Greece influenced India a lot thanks to Alexander the Great and there were even discovered a statue of Hercules in Mathura:

Which is why it's called Indo-European.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Back in the day every crossroad had its own god as did every house and the wilderness was just crawling with an endless array of nameless spirits.

The British Boggarts/Hobs/Brownies, the Nordic Tomte/Nisse, the German Kobold, Iberian Trasgu, Italian Monaciello, the Russian Domovoi are house gods that survived Christianisation.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Freudian posted:

Indo Europeans successfully invaded Europe and India and then their descendants invaded India under Alexander and then later their British descendants invaded India in the 18th century. It's 2000+ years of Indo-European fratricide.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Freudian posted:

...no, the hypothesized Indo-European cultures spread (likely from Central Asia) many centuries and even millennia before Alexander.

Turkish, Finnish, and Basque are three European language isolates, notable for not being related to all their Indo-European neighbors.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fuschia tude posted:

...no, the hypothesized Indo-European cultures spread (likely from Central Asia) many centuries and even millennia before Alexander.

Turkish, Finnish, and Basque are three European language isolates, notable for not being related to all their Indo-European neighbors.

I always wonder how Basque ended up the way it did. No known related languages living or dead. Almost everything else spoken today has something related to it under some language group/family but Basque is dissimilar from everything humans have compared it to going back to Sumerian.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Language isolates aren't that uncommon. It's really just Europe that's ended up with one remaining isolate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Language_isolates

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

I always wonder how Basque ended up the way it did. No known related languages living or dead. Almost everything else spoken today has something related to it under some language group/family but Basque is dissimilar from everything humans have compared it to going back to Sumerian.

If you look at places still dominated by small bands of hunter-gatherers like New Guinea, it seems like the "default" state of language is to have small regions where tribes speak the same or closely linked languages, and then in the next valley over you have something completely linguistically unrelated (or at least the common ancestor of the languages is so far back that it doesn't leave any hints in current speech). Based on the language distributions we observe in history and the modern day, it seems like improved transportation gradually homogenizes languages as it becomes more and more advantageous to speak the same language as your neighbors, either because they're richer, culturally dominant, or have just conquered you. It isn't really too surprising to me that such an inconsistent, random-ish process would miss a few spots--and even then, I wouldn't be surprised if Basque were dead or dying a hundred years from now.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Basque kind of is dying depending on how you evaluate it, but I don’t think it will die any time soon barring a big change in Spain’s policy towards linguistic minorities (which however you could hardly say is never going to happen). More people speak it now than twenty years ago thanks to its guaranteed position under the modern Spanish constitution, but the territorial extent over which it’s widely spoken has been decreasing for centuries. If the Spanish state took the same attitude towards it as the French state does, it would very likely die.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Fuschia tude posted:

Turkish and Finnish aren't language isolates. Not even slightly.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

skasion posted:

More people speak it now than twenty years ago...but the territorial extent over which it’s widely spoken has been decreasing
doesn't this just mean basques are moving to cities

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HEY GUNS posted:

doesn't this just mean basques are moving to cities

Sort of: Basque language has definitely become more prominent in cities over the last decades at least but in the short term, it isn’t so much a population movement thing. It has more to do with the rise in Basque-language education post-Franco. Older people are far more likely than younger people to be monolingual in Spanish.

Here’s a slightly dated but pretty interesting paper on the subject. In Spanish but the figures are quite easy to understand. It’s limited to the Basque Autonomous Community so doesn’t include data from Navarre unfortunately.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Mr Enderby posted:

Turkish and Finnish aren't language isolates. Not even slightly.
Finnish isn't even the only Finno-Ugric language in Europe, there's also Hungarian, Estonian, Sami and possibly some smaller ones I'm forgetting.
It's also extremely cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_keS5CgpBT0

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 14, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'd say the Hungarians won the race.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Are the dots of Turkish in Europe from Turkish immigrant communities?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Elyv posted:

It appears so; I've just learned that 5% of the residents of Cologne are Turkish citizens.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I love seeing poo poo like this because I love connecting the dots, like there being "Sakha" on that and there is a place named "Sakhalin" and "Tuvan" right where Tannu Tuva is in HoI4.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Interactive geospatial map of the roman empire circa 200 ce.

http://orbis.stanford.edu/

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mr Enderby posted:

Interactive geospatial map of the roman empire circa 200 ce.

http://orbis.stanford.edu/

And we come full circle again.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This thread has been going for six years dude.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

WoodrowSkillson posted:

More a spheroidal section really

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mr Enderby posted:

This thread has been going for six years dude.

its just amusing that's all, i literally waste like an hour every time its posted

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nonsense.

This thread is flat.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Nonsense.

This thread is flat.

Korea is not represented at all!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Does that mean I get to post about Atlantis in Bolivia soon?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

You just did.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I haven't followed for a long time, but isn't the thread long overdue for a chat about the bronze age collapse?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

mortons stork posted:

I haven't followed for a long time, but isn't the thread long overdue for a chat about the bronze age collapse?

Truly there is nothing new under the sun!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Grevling posted:

Truly there is nothing new under the sun!

Except Sea People.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If Sea People evolved from Sea Monkeys how come there are still Sea Monkeys?

Checkmate, atheist's

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Nah, :agesilaus: never showed up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Elyv posted:

The ones in Germany and farther yes. The ones in the Balkans are populations remaining from the Ottoman days, used to be far more Turkish speakers in the area, but ethnic cleansing/genocide obviously had it's effect.

Altaic as a family is as far as I'm aware pretty discredited these days.

Grape fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 16, 2018