Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It's also infuriating because even though you know the vendor is lying, calling them liars to their faces is unprofessional. They know this and rely on it. We have similar issues with some internal departments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Start calling them out, in a professional manner :v:

It's a sad state of affairs when "being professional" means "let people walk all over you".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

guppy posted:

calling them liars to their faces is unprofessional.

What? I mean I guess it depends on your position and all, but saying “I think you are lying” is pretty easy to say. In fact it’s easier to say to a vendor than it is a co-worker.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I’ve heard “cut the poo poo” used multiple times when talking to vendors about things like that. Calling someone out for lying, especially if it’s blatant, is totally within scope and may definitely even be in your job responsibilities depending on your position

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Kashuno posted:

I’ve heard “cut the poo poo” used multiple times when talking to vendors about things like that. Calling someone out for lying, especially if it’s blatant, is totally within scope and may definitely even be in your job responsibilities depending on your position

I'm going to have to majorly agree with this one. All dependent on your position but sometimes you gotta tell vendors to cut it out and get things done. I generally either go to a different VAR or Vendor if they are bullshitting me too much. I lay it out there though "be 100% straightforward with me and you have my business. You bullshit me, we cut you out and go to a competitor"

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah but when you work for a college and it's a book publisher and you're "just IT" you don't have the option to change vendors and they know it.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 11, 2018

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Yeah unfortunately textbook choices are made at either the department or individual level depending on the class so the most I can do is warn them about how lovely the publisher is. It also happens to be one of the largest in the world, though, so I don't see anything coming of that.

I also forgot to mention that the supervisor denied their support team sending students to our office, even after I read off a specific email where that happened.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm taking a Linux learning path on Lynda, and just went through a segment on vim. JFC I can see why this is the butt of jokes :negative:.

Well, 12 hours until I'm done with the Linux Foundations one, then I can get on to the RHCSA one, maybe go after the cert (I'd like to, but $400 is a lot of money), and then get going on the Docker and k8s courses on Lynda.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
vim is pretty obtuse but it also shares a lot of syntax with other programs (sed for example) which means it's pretty easy to jump into if you're used to working with those tools and vice versa.

It's a lot easier to comprehend if you turn on number, cursorline, showmatch, ruler, and everything else that comes along with the obligatory four hours of loving with vimrc before you do anything productive.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

vim is actually quite intuitive once you memorize a few dozen commands

:goonsay:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"Escape this colon thing, quit and do not return"

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
The real problem is you wind up with Stockholm syndrome, typing out commands in bash or some other program and then hitting :di" to try to delete everything within the quotes or hitting :qw to end your shell session.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Our team’s HipChat room is littered with instances of

“:wq
... god loving dammit”

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Next time I've got a week between projects I need to sit down and learn how to use vim beyond the basics.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

vi is worth learning because it's part of every single *nix implementation out there. My day job is to support a unix app running on mainframes, and the z/OS unix subsystem only implements XPG4 UNIX 95, so vi is the best unix-native editor on the platform without installing a 3rd party port of something newer. I'm sure other commercial unixes are similar.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hell of a niche you got yourself there.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Yeah it's pretty unusual, but the pay is good and the stress is low. Eventually I'll rotate to something different, so it's not like I'm stuck in the corner thinking about what I did wrong.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SamDabbers posted:

vi is worth learning because it's part of every single *nix implementation out there. My day job is to support a unix app running on mainframes, and the z/OS unix subsystem only implements XPG4 UNIX 95, so vi is the best unix-native editor on the platform without installing a 3rd party port of something newer. I'm sure other commercial unixes are similar.

Yeah, this is why Van Vugt teaches it as well. It's the only thing you're absolutely guaranteed to have so you'd better know the basics at least, in case you have to use it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

There's really no excuse not to have some super basic knowledge of vi(m) if you ever touch *nix systems professionally. This doesn't have to be more than being able to open, edit and close a file, though. Most of the time that's all you need to do.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wibla posted:

There's really no excuse not to have some super basic knowledge of vi(m) if you ever touch *nix systems professionally. This doesn't have to be more than being able to open, edit and close a file, though. Most of the time that's all you need to do.

Yeah, I used to use vi waaaay back in the mid 90s when I worked at an ISP startup, but over time my skills have atrophied. These days, if vi is my only option, I can open, do basic editing and exit-with-write and exit-without-write. For simple editing like that, nano is usually my go to, but it’s not on every box/appliance while vi is.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
My summary of the last couple of pages:

I’m glad WiFi is not permitted where I work - cables for all!

Also I would not hesitate to get upset at that vendor and call out their bs

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nano > vi

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I've seen some terrible opinions on these forums but CLAM DOWN pretty much takes the cake with that one.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

how do you replace all instances of a string with another string in nano

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I mean in reality I’m doing 99% of my work in VSCode or TextMate on my Mac, because source control and deployment pipelines and stuff. But if I gotta edit something in the terminal for whatever reason, vim is cool and good.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Methanar posted:

CTRL-\

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

The only thing I need is 'less' because I would never deign to actually manually touch a text file on a server

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I will take the time to setup any number of alternatives before I edit a file in vi.
Ci/CD pipeline, sftp plugin, or just manually scp the file in question.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

Boot into Windows, load it up in notepad, ctrl-H

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

CLAM DOWN posted:

Linux_Documentation_For_Windows_users-08122018-FINAL.docx

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

You laugh but I see people WinSCP and Notepad++

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

nullfunction posted:

You laugh but I see people WinSCP and Notepad++

Well, it works? Just... :cripes:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Methanar posted:

Trick question, you use sed from the command line

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kashuno posted:

Its a beautiful thing the first time you do this at a place where you are authorised to change suppliers.

Apparently the old IT guy was kinda spineless, so the first time I told a provider to stop loving around and sort my issue or i'd go to x provider who I already had quotes for, they looked at me like i'd just murdered a puppy.

(I did not already have quotes from a secondary provider).

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

The CEO's new favorite pastime is to publicly berate his employees (me especially) on Slack who don't know how to do something in this hosed up environment.

Our problem is zero documentation. A couple of the higher ups may have a brainmap of how all the physical and logical infrastructure goes together, but the people on the ground find themselves lost from time to time.

For example, I'm talking with our tech on site of a beach condo that lost its fiber connection. He was in the area when it went down so *shrug* why not swing by. He logged into the router and sees that the fiber has a physical link but at some point in the past the OSPF neighbor on that link was lost. Well, given that we have no documentation on how this is put together I start to ask on Slack what's supposed to be on the other end of this link in layer 2 terms. I had an IP but all of our routers have their management IPs listed, not the IPs of each individual interface.

Well, the CEO gets wind of this and he's all:

"How to torubleshoot
Layer 1 = physical
Layer 2 = mac
Layer 3 = IP
We have layer 1
if we have no layer 2 then it is a [fiber provider] problem"

and I'm thinking, here we go again. This is why I don't fricking ask you. I was asking because if I knew which core router this was supposed to be on, I could check errors on the other side of it. Not that I have access to those routers, but I could ask an engineer to check.

Then he goes on about how to check LibreNMS for the information I needed, and I didn't need to log into the router in question. I mean, technically yes, but I didn't want to go on an investigation and just guessing and inferring what the problem might be, because the info in LibreNMS is pretty buried, and there's no syslog on there anyway. I'd end up having to ask the higher ups anyway.

This was only the latest example and pretty mild compared to other poo poo, where he goes on for paragraphs on "YOU PEOPLE SHOULD JUST USE YOUR TOOLS" (which we haven't fully implemented) to Sherlock Holmes our topology rather than just having it documented.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
do we have a discord?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

do we have a discord?

No, but we do have a slack channel
https://join.slack.com/t/somethinga...Mjk4NDY1ZGNiNmQ

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kashuno posted:

do we have a discord?

We have a slack.

E: fb; :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Zapf Dingbat posted:

The CEO's new favorite pastime is to publicly berate his employees (me especially) on Slack who don't know how to do something in this hosed up environment.

Our problem is zero documentation. A couple of the higher ups may have a brainmap of how all the physical and logical infrastructure goes together, but the people on the ground find themselves lost from time to time.

For example, I'm talking with our tech on site of a beach condo that lost its fiber connection. He was in the area when it went down so *shrug* why not swing by. He logged into the router and sees that the fiber has a physical link but at some point in the past the OSPF neighbor on that link was lost. Well, given that we have no documentation on how this is put together I start to ask on Slack what's supposed to be on the other end of this link in layer 2 terms. I had an IP but all of our routers have their management IPs listed, not the IPs of each individual interface.

Well, the CEO gets wind of this and he's all:

"How to torubleshoot
Layer 1 = physical
Layer 2 = mac
Layer 3 = IP
We have layer 1
if we have no layer 2 then it is a [fiber provider] problem"

and I'm thinking, here we go again. This is why I don't fricking ask you. I was asking because if I knew which core router this was supposed to be on, I could check errors on the other side of it. Not that I have access to those routers, but I could ask an engineer to check.

Then he goes on about how to check LibreNMS for the information I needed, and I didn't need to log into the router in question. I mean, technically yes, but I didn't want to go on an investigation and just guessing and inferring what the problem might be, because the info in LibreNMS is pretty buried, and there's no syslog on there anyway. I'd end up having to ask the higher ups anyway.

This was only the latest example and pretty mild compared to other poo poo, where he goes on for paragraphs on "YOU PEOPLE SHOULD JUST USE YOUR TOOLS" (which we haven't fully implemented) to Sherlock Holmes our topology rather than just having it documented.

I had a boss like that and I eventually just got another job. It got pretty exhausting having a stand up meeting every morning to have our troubleshooting methodology question and constantly be reminded of the "OSI troubleshooting model".