Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Glagha posted:

I dunno I've never had a problem with AC. People raise good points about how rolling a d20 against a chance to either Do Something or Do Nothing sucks but whatever it is what it is. Honestly I think an interesting fix would be to give fighters "miss is half damage" stuff like spells get. If we're accepting hp as an abstraction of luck, fatigue, and will, a failed attack that clangs off someone's shield could still do damage, fatiguing their shield arm and making it less likely they'll defend successfully and bringing them closer to a lethal blow.

Wasn't there a Fighter At-Will from 4e that guaranteed you'd deal your STR modifier on a miss? I know the Fell-Handed feat is similar, but honestly Champion and/or Brute would probably be fine if they had something like that to were guaranteed a little damage on a miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

lightrook posted:

Wasn't there a Fighter At-Will from 4e that guaranteed you'd deal your STR modifier on a miss? I know the Fell-Handed feat is similar, but honestly Champion and/or Brute would probably be fine if they had something like that to were guaranteed a little damage on a miss.

I'd really like the option to do some sort of "Precision Strike" where I forfeit my attribute bonus to damage to get a bonus to the hit roll (sort of a reverse GWM).

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Toshimo posted:

I'd really like the option to do some sort of "Precision Strike" where I forfeit my attribute bonus to damage to get a bonus to the hit roll (sort of a reverse GWM).

It would be cool if that was baseline for all weapon attacks so martials had some decision making in combat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
e: nvm I got it wrong

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You gonna elaborate at all or just two word poo poo on an off the cuff thought and peace out?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Glagha posted:

Honestly I think an interesting fix would be to give fighters "miss is half damage" stuff like spells get.

During the 5e "playtest" such an option was briefly tried. It proved to be so divisive a topic that EN World had to create a whole separate sub-forum just for that topic alone, because of all the flamewars that broke out and drowned out all other discussion. I am 100% not kidding here.

edit:
I looked but I think I don't have any screenshots anymore. People were furious that D&D tried this. Or rather, tried it again, because 4e did have abilities exactly like this. It was amazing.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Sage Genesis posted:

During the 5e "playtest" such an option was briefly tried. It proved to be so divisive a topic that EN World had to create a whole separate sub-forum just for that topic alone, because of all the flamewars that broke out and drowned out all other discussion. I am 100% not kidding here.

I 100% believed you without you needing to clarify.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Just type damage on a miss enworld into Google and :stonk:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'd never looked it up before, and good Lord. A 113 page thread was the first result and it was allegedly about it being realistic "believable." The OP of that thread even makes it clear that's just the tip of this iceberg.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Damage on a miss is kind of an unsatisfying halfway-house, anyway. Just ditch the attack roll altogether! You have nothing to lose but your d20s! :black101:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Glagha posted:

You gonna elaborate at all or just two word poo poo on an off the cuff thought and peace out?

Pretty sure that the mechanic you're describing was literally part of the game before weirdo people who couldn't reconcile missing AC and dealing a glancing blow made it go away.

e: oh yeah, what they all said.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

tehsid posted:

I'm currently running Strahd for my group. So far so good.
Give me your Strahd-ventures and any tips you have!

I posted this before, but when you run Death House, have your quietest player look in the mirror and see his reflection looking back spookily however you want to flavor. After the Death House is complete, have your quietest player reveal himself to be Strahd, having trailed the PCs as soon as they arrived. Strahd then points to an open casket with PC inside, dead. You get to play with the fun rules about how you can return to Ravenloft. Welcome to Barovia! :2spooky:

E: Another one involved passing out handouts, a note with basically a "will u love me y/n", collect all the /n papers from your PCs (hopefully). Before Strahd leaves, he reads the letters, and leaves a paper with "y/" on the table for all the PCs to see. Prepare an alternate handout if you are sure none of your players would agree. When I played as a player, we had 2 PCs the entire time who thought he wasn't a bad guy.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine is going to be starting a campaign soon, and mentioned wanting any resources on GMing in 5e that we had. I remember there was a brilliant blog post on creating encounters, specifically looking at the maths involved and how to fix them. I mean throw anything else you think would be good at me, but that was one I remember being great and cannot find.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

About to start the Storm King's thunder
New character ideas : sorcerer.

Was not born with it but joined a pilgrimage at 13 to a ancient dragons lair to petition it for power.

Answered riddles or gave a good offering?
Thinking chromatic dragon. Blue or green.
Does the thread have any backstory suggestions or personality traits?

Literally as far as I've gotten.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Kommando posted:

About to start the Storm King's thunder
New character ideas : sorcerer.

Was not born with it but joined a pilgrimage at 13 to a ancient dragons lair to petition it for power.

Answered riddles or gave a good offering?
Thinking chromatic dragon. Blue or green.
Does the thread have any backstory suggestions or personality traits?

Literally as far as I've gotten.

Some questions to flesh out a backstory:

Why did you join the pilgrimage - were your reasons personal, familial, financial, or political?

What happened to the other pilgrims, dead en-route, eaten by dragon, or just turned away, and how do you feel about it?

How do you feel about having sorcerous powers - love it, hate it, or maybe mixed?

What are your goals now, in the short- (about a month), medium- (about a year), and long- (about a decade) term?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Siivola posted:

Damage on a miss is kind of an unsatisfying halfway-house, anyway. Just ditch the attack roll altogether! You have nothing to lose but your d20s! :black101:

Have you heard the good news about "Into the Odd"? Actually that's pretty much it, the good news about Into the Odd is that it doesn't use the attack roll.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CJ posted:

It would be cool if that was baseline for all weapon attacks so martials had some decision making in combat.

That's how it works in 13th Age. My players forget to apply it half the time, that's how game destroying it is.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

lightrook posted:

Some questions to flesh out a backstory:

Why did you join the pilgrimage - were your reasons personal, familial, financial, or political?

What happened to the other pilgrims, dead en-route, eaten by dragon, or just turned away, and how do you feel about it?

How do you feel about having sorcerous powers - love it, hate it, or maybe mixed?

What are your goals now, in the short- (about a month), medium- (about a year), and long- (about a decade) term?

I am several years older now.

I joined for personal and familial reasons. We were part of a sect, my parents went along and I was told wondrous stories about the seven great dragons and how precocious clever people can appeal for great powers.

I think most were turned away. Some went missing perhaps. I was young.
I feel that the people who didn't get powers were not worthy or just old.

I love having sorcerous powers they make me special. I have been marked for greatness. My parents are glad that I was chosen however dismayed they were not.
Eventually I left home to adventure and let my fortune lead me to greatness.

My goals are malleable. Short term. Continue travelling and develop my power through challenge and adversity.
Medium term, meet another powerful dragon and learn about their life and sources of power.
Long term. Do something great that gets stories and poems about it.

I've normally played good helpful characters, this time I think personal power and fame will be my drive.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hattie Masters posted:

A friend of mine is going to be starting a campaign soon, and mentioned wanting any resources on GMing in 5e that we had. I remember there was a brilliant blog post on creating encounters, specifically looking at the maths involved and how to fix them. I mean throw anything else you think would be good at me, but that was one I remember being great and cannot find.

Shameless plug:

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/improved-monster-stats-table-for-dd-5th-edition/ - if it feels too easy for the players, double the HP and damage output

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2015/12/08/designing-boss-monsters/

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2017/06/01/rationalized-skill-check-dcs-for-5th-edition-dd/

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2017/07/12/telegraph-your-monsters-attacks/

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2018/01/19/encounter-design-have-ways-of-attacking-different-player-defenses/

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I think I'm struggling for things to pick for a next character. I've thought about things that seem fun like a whip/pistol kensei, a firbolg gloom stalker, etc., but it feels like there's a really limited pick of mechanically fun things that aren't just "pick a full caster and stick with it"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Melee Gloomstalker
PAM Battle Master
PAM Paladin (inc. Hexadin)
Paladin 2/Sorcerer X
Barbarogue
Monk
Melee Hexblade

Yeah, I think that's about it if we're discarding full casters.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've thrown around a hexblade/sword bard but it's probably just worse than most other things you could do with a hexblade.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It makes swords bard decently competent at swording through CHA synergy, shield prof and Shield, but the bard spell list and class abilities just don't lend themselves to gishing, so it's strictly speaking just making you better at being a generalist for the bragging rights.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Melee Gloomstalker

Can you tell me more about this or is it pretty simple to setup? I've been tossing around a melee ranger (not much of a fan of "I shoot from 100 ft away" every turn).

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Wait.........isn't damage on a miss the exact same thing as half damage on a failed save? How is it even arguably a bad mechanic?
::googles "damage on a miss enworld"::
DEAR CHRIST WHAT IS WITH GROGNARDS!!?

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 13, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Mr. Humalong posted:

Can you tell me more about this or is it pretty simple to setup? I've been tossing around a melee ranger (not much of a fan of "I shoot from 100 ft away" every turn).

It's just a melee ranger but gloomstalker makes it more interesting. You can try to maximize Dread Ambusher and Umbral Sight with a greatsword + Great Weapon Master, or just go for Polearm Master with a quarterstaff+shield+dueling fighting style. You could also grab Shillelagh off Magic Initiate and go for a full Wisdom build, and you can gently caress around with Zephyr Strike so that even if Umbral Sight isn't working, your Dread Ambusher additional attack is at advantage and gets an extra 1d8 force damage on top.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Madmarker posted:

Wait.........isn't damage on a miss the exact same thing as half damage on a failed save? How is it even arguably a bad mechanic?
"It's not REALISTIC unless a MAGIC SPELL is doing it!" essentially.

Reminds me how one of the most amusing "Ranger is garbage!" reviews for 4th ed I've read spends the first half gushing about all the cool poo poo it let them do... And the rest ranting about how "Arrows not magic! How arrows slide! How arrow knock dragon from sky? gently caress you if you bring up the hobbit!" Therefore, class RUINED.

Thank god for Battlemaster in 5th ed. People don't give a poo poo about Fighter, so somehow they got away with "Hey I can knock a dragon prone with an arrow? sweet" via maneuvers :allears: (Well, if a dragon miraculously fails the save throw at least... And is a baby Large or less Dragon...).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 13, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Now you know why this edition is bad. Because they gave into THAT repeatedly, over and over again, whenever it came up about anything.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Arivia posted:

Now you know why this edition is bad. Because they gave into THAT repeatedly, over and over again, whenever it came up about anything.

"At-will spell attacks and short rest recharge spells? Why have they never thought of this before? :buddy:"

*martial classes* :negative:

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Mr. Humalong posted:

To be more specific, since my Bugbear Fighter/Gloomstalker is gonna be using this.

Umbral Sight makes you Invisible in darkness to creatures that rely on darkvision to see, giving you advantage on them, them disadvantage on you, not allowing them to get an AoO on you, making any spells that require you to see the target not work.

It -could- be dependent on the DM, but most adventurers go into deep dark holes in the ground anyway.

Edit: Steal your parties torches

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Siivola posted:

How would a single-roll attack system work, anyway?

I'd imagine you roll your dice and if you hit, the attack deals a fixed amount of weapon damage, plus modifiers, plus overflow. Overflow damage would be the enemy's AC subtracted from the result of your roll. So rolling a 19 against an enemy with 16 AC would deal 3 extra damage.

Glancing damage could result from a roll of 10 or above which isn't enough to beat the enemy's AC. That might just deal modifier damage (with the caveat that it cannot reduce an enemy's HP below 1).

Of course, apparently the grogs pitched a fit over the idea of glancing damage. Was the issue more, "A miss is a miss and you cannot kill an enemy on a miss", or "4E did it and 4E bad, we just want 3.5E all over again"?

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Hit level 10 with my Divination Wizard after we took down an Adult Red Dragon! 2 failed Fire Breath saves right at the beginning had me absolutely puckered (Absorb Elements is the only thing that saved my bacon). But now I'm back into spell selection paralysis. There's so many good spells to choose from in this level range it's a drat hard choice. I had Rary's Telepathic Bond & Synaptic Static 5th level spells to start (I've been trying to stay away from full out combat spells since I have realized I just can't prepare all of them and even if I could I can't reasonable use all of them since they're mostly concentration).

Have kind of narrowed it down to Scrying + a choice of Animate Objects / Bigby's Hand / Wall of Force

The party is pretty big (7) when everyone is there, but usually it's ~5 so I've mostly been doing control spells instead of outright damage as there's just plenty of damage coming from everyone else, so my first pick was Wall of Force, but I can see a lot of silly uses with Animated Objects in addition to the obvious 10 silver coins dropped on the ground to start shredding things.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wyvernil posted:

"4E did it and 4E bad, we just want 3.5E all over again"?

This tends to be dressed up in disingenuous poo poo like "not realistic" and "disassociated mechanics", but yes

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Wyvernil posted:

How would a single-roll attack system work, anyway?
First we make all damage dice bigger to make the die roll play a greater part in the damage roll. Just ditch AC as a number altogether and replace armour with some kind of "armour as damage reduction" variant to keep it relevant. Orcs might need more hit points, but maybe not, who knows. Then if you want riders on the roll, let warrior types convert points of damage to effects, like tripping or throwing them into walls or whatever. If the rider is really good, maybe allow a saving throw.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Siivola posted:

First we make all damage dice bigger to make the die roll play a greater part in the damage roll. Just ditch AC as a number altogether and replace armour with some kind of "armour as damage reduction" variant to keep it relevant. Orcs might need more hit points, but maybe not, who knows. Then if you want riders on the roll, let warrior types convert points of damage to effects, like tripping or throwing them into walls or whatever. If the rider is really good, maybe allow a saving throw.

Honestly with fewer numbers in the mix you'd want a more complex moves-system so that combat didn't boil down to 'players stand near monsters until monsters fall down'.

I swear to god this is not just another 'MHMMM I WONDER IF SUCH A GAME EXISTS' joke.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Except for the brief stint in 4E, D&D combat's always been about standing next to monsters until they fall down. All the attack roll does is introduce a second layer of randomisation into the DPS formula. :shrug: But sure, put in more status effects and conditional bonuses. Have the barbarian throw the gelatinous cube to the fighter who trips it so the thief can get a backstab, go nuts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Moving to a model where the worst possible result is "you do SOME damage" is probably better from a design perspective because you would no longer have these wild swings in combat length because any assumption of "tankiness" is based on a high miss chance, rather than high HP and damage reduction.

This would then further open up the design space where effects that do grant miss chance can become activated or passive-special abilities.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 13, 2018

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

how about "if you miss by 1, you still deal your stat damage to your target". So if you normally hit for 1d8 + 3 damage, you just hit for 3. Maybe certain classes increase this value while others always stay at 1. So a fighter or ranger might increase to "miss by 2" or "miss by 3" etc as they level up.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Warrior types already get +1 bonuses to attacks out the wazoo, this is strictly worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Level 20 Fighter capstone should just include something like:

"You have reached the pinnacle of skill at arms. On attack rolls, you only miss on a roll of natural 1 when making a weapon attack against a target's AC. If you are able to reach your target, you will almost always hit them. Your weapon attacks also ignore any resistances that would normally apply."

On top of probably some more crazy stuff. Somewhere on the way to 20 they ought to have gained something like the Hunter Ranger's whirlwind attack. Or a passive ability that gives their target vulnerability if they're significantly weaker than the Fighter.