Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Mine gatow airport for coal!

Someone page HeyGal and ask if they know anything about the 19 cows in the German strategic reserve.

Suspect Bucket has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Aug 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Imagine being those cows......really makes you think

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I'm being banged by berlins zoophiles

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Krankenstyle posted:

Aw boo it seemed that Kriegskuhe (war-cows) were mentioned in 1595 but it turns it's just google misreading Kriegsleut(h)e (war-people).

Jamie Jeffers mentioned war cows battle cattle a while back on the British History podcast.
Ragnar Lodbrok had an encounter with them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Samovar posted:

They were all executed for many reasons.

Also, at the baptism of the last Dauphin, he managed to do as babies do and partake in a fecal explosion. Dye artists made a shade of brown based off of the incident.

That's a hell of an act

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Alhazred posted:

Therapy cows are a thing. For a certain amount of money you can lay next to a cow for a couple of hours.

Not since my mother retired, you can't.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Meanwhile, in Deutschland:

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/06/635911260/germany-turns-to-brown-coal-to-fill-its-energy-gap

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Sergeant Stubby

Early life
Stubby was described in contemporaneous news items as a Bull Terrier or Boston Terrier.[4][6] Describing him as a dog of "uncertain breed", Ann Bausum wrote that "The brindle-patterned pup probably owed at least some of his parentage to the evolving family of Boston Terriers, a breed so new that even its name was in flux: Boston Round Heads, American Bull Terriers, and Boston Bull Terriers."[7] Stubby was found wandering the grounds of the Yale University campus in New Haven, Connecticut in July 1917, while members of the 102nd Infantry were training. The dog hung around as the men drilled and one soldier, Corporal Robert Conroy, developed a fondness for him.[3] When it came time for the outfit to ship out, Conroy hid Stubby on board the troop ship. As they were getting off the ship in France, he hid Stubby under his overcoat without detection.[8] Upon discovery by Conroy's commanding officer, Stubby saluted him as he had been trained to in camp, and the commanding officer allowed the dog to stay on board.[5]

Military service
Stubby served with the 102nd Infantry Regiment in the trenches in France for 8 months and participated in four offensives and 17 battles. He entered combat on February 5, 1918, at Chemin des Dames, north of Soissons, and was under constant fire, day and night for over a month. In April 1918, during a raid to take Seicheprey, Stubby was wounded in the foreleg by the retreating Germans throwing hand grenades. He was sent to the rear for convalescence, and as he had done on the front was able to improve morale. When he recovered from his wounds, Stubby returned to the trenches. He ultimately had two wound stripes.[3][9]

In his first year of battle Stubby was injured by mustard gas. After he recovered, he returned with a specially designed gas mask to protect him.[10] Also, he learned to warn his unit of poison gas attacks, located wounded soldiers in no man's land, and — since he could hear the whine of incoming artillery shells before humans — became very adept at letting his unit know when to duck for cover. He was solely responsible for capturing a German spy in the Argonne, leading to the commander of the 102 Infantry to nominate Stubby for the rank of sergeant.[5] However, whether Stubby was actually promoted or even an official member of the Army has been disputed.[8] Following the retaking of Château-Thierry by the US, the women of the town made Stubby a chamois coat on which were pinned his many medals. He also helped free a French town from the Germans.[citation needed] He was later injured in the chest and leg by a grenade. At the end of the war, Robert Conroy smuggled Stubby home.[5]

After the war
After returning home, Stubby became a celebrity and marched in, and normally led, many parades across the country. He met Presidents Woodrow Wilson, Calvin Coolidge, and Warren G. Harding.[5] In 1921 General John J. Pershing presented a gold medal from the Humane Education Society to Stubby, which was the subject of a famous photograph.[3][4][9][11] Starting in 1921, he attended Georgetown University Law Center with Conroy, and became the Georgetown Hoyas' team mascot.[11] He would be given the football at halftime and would nudge the ball around the field to the amusement of the fans.[12][13]

Stubby died in his sleep in 1926.[3] After his death, he was preserved with his skin mounted on a plaster cast. Conroy presented Stubby to the Smithsonian in 1956

:unsmith:

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Kanine posted:

quote:
Sergeant Stubby

Early life
Stubby was described in contemporaneous news items as a Bull Terrier or Boston Terrier.[4][6] Describing him as a dog of "uncertain breed", Ann Bausum wrote that "The brindle-patterned pup probably owed at least some of his parentage to the evolving family of Boston Terriers, a breed so new that even its name was in flux: Boston Round Heads, American Bull Terriers, and Boston Bull Terriers."[7] Stubby was found wandering the grounds of the Yale University campus in New Haven, Connecticut in July 1917, while members of the 102nd Infantry were training. The dog hung around as the men drilled and one soldier, Corporal Robert Conroy, developed a fondness for him.[3] When it came time for the outfit to ship out, Conroy hid Stubby on board the troop ship. As they were getting off the ship in France, he hid Stubby under his overcoat without detection.[8] Upon discovery by Conroy's commanding officer, Stubby saluted him as he had been trained to in camp, and the commanding officer allowed the dog to stay on board.[5]

Military service
Stubby served with the 102nd Infantry Regiment in the trenches in France for 8 months and participated in four offensives and 17 battles. He entered combat on February 5, 1918, at Chemin des Dames, north of Soissons, and was under constant fire, day and night for over a month. In April 1918, during a raid to take Seicheprey, Stubby was wounded in the foreleg by the retreating Germans throwing hand grenades. He was sent to the rear for convalescence, and as he had done on the front was able to improve morale. When he recovered from his wounds, Stubby returned to the trenches. He ultimately had two wound stripes.[3][9]

In his first year of battle Stubby was injured by mustard gas. After he recovered, he returned with a specially designed gas mask to protect him.[10] Also, he learned to warn his unit of poison gas attacks, located wounded soldiers in no man's land, and — since he could hear the whine of incoming artillery shells before humans — became very adept at letting his unit know when to duck for cover. He was solely responsible for capturing a German spy in the Argonne, leading to the commander of the 102 Infantry to nominate Stubby for the rank of sergeant.[5] However, whether Stubby was actually promoted or even an official member of the Army has been disputed.[8] Following the retaking of Château-Thierry by the US, the women of the town made Stubby a chamois coat on which were pinned his many medals. He also helped free a French town from the Germans.[citation needed] He was later injured in the chest and leg by a grenade. At the end of the war, Robert Conroy smuggled Stubby home.[5]

After the war
After returning home, Stubby became a celebrity and marched in, and normally led, many parades across the country. He met Presidents Woodrow Wilson, Calvin Coolidge, and Warren G. Harding.[5] In 1921 General John J. Pershing presented a gold medal from the Humane Education Society to Stubby, which was the subject of a famous photograph.[3][4][9][11] Starting in 1921, he attended Georgetown University Law Center with Conroy, and became the Georgetown Hoyas' team mascot.[11] He would be given the football at halftime and would nudge the ball around the field to the amusement of the fans.[12][13]

Stubby died in his sleep in 1926.[3] After his death, he was preserved with his skin mounted on a plaster cast. Conroy presented Stubby to the Smithsonian in 1956

:unsmith:

All my fat terrier does is eat, sleep, and lick his crotch

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

TheHomerTax posted:

Please don’t dox me

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

TheHomerTax posted:

So do most soldiers given the chance

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Weren't there historically some pretty severe penalties for shorting the customers on bread? That's why a dozen donuts, if not packed flat in a rectangular tray/box, is still thirteen. Because the Romans would execute a baker for selling light or aldulterated loaves, so it became customary to throw in an extra one on every order just to make sure you were within the law.
There were recurring rumors about using sawdust as a bread extender in really lovely situations (like bread they fed you at Auschwitz.) I wouldn't be shocked if this was not literally true but using lovely-quality feed grain normally fed to swine and Scotsmen made things gritty and unpleasant to eat, leading to the rumors.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Czar Ivan Grozny is usually translated as "Ivan the Terrible" but a better translation would be "Awesome John"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I also refuse to call Charlemagne anything else than "Big Chuck"

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Lewis "Sunny" Bourbon

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
oily josh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lil' Lizzie

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Old Vick

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Adolf Hitler

e: wait, poo poo

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Let's not go to far into names, otherwise mine's The Laurentian Friend of Horse of the Village Pasture.

drat that loving Gaelic arsehole a thousand years ago who just went with whatever shithole he lived next to, as his name.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Like most peoples, Danes originally only had one name, their given. Quickly, it became necessary to disambiguate, and so various bynames came around (see Harald Bluetooth, Ragnar Lodbrok, Sweyn Forkbeard, etc). A common byname was simply the patronymic (Ragnarsson for son of Ragnar), but in many cases that wasn't enough so a second byname was needed: Perhaps Jens Hansen Smed (smith, occupational) or Jens Hansen Søndergaard (south-farm, geographic) or Jens Hansen Krog (crook/hook, perhaps he was crooked/stooped or a fisherman?).

Complicating things, the same person could have several different bynames over the course of their life. Some were inherited, otheres were not.

This was problematic for the administration, and so a series of name laws beginning 1828 (1771 in the Danish-controlled duchies Schleswig-Holstein) tried to move the Danish population to "proper" inherited surnames.

However, the laws were unclear and badly implemented, causing almost everyone to lose their (inherited) byname and instead retain a now frozen patronymic. Hansen was no longer the son of Hans (except in some hold-out parishes that refused the laws and kept to the old traditions at least up until the 1880s).

A commission was appointed in 1898 to improve the situation, and the 1904 name law followed virtually all their recommendations, chiefly that anyone for a modest fee could reclaim a lost byname if they could prove it had been used by their ancestors (easily done with a confirmed transcript of the parish register from the priest). Subsequent laws have strengthened this, most recently in 2006.

Since then, the usage of frozen patronymics has steadily declined (66% in 1986, 48% in 2016). Jensen, the most common surname since before 1900, was finally knocked off the top spot in 2015:

Number of persons with patronymic:

Still a ways to go, though it's looking up:

Percentage of population with a patronymic, by age:

I'm guessing the recent drop in the 20-30 cohort is that marrying couples will tend to drop their patronymics and use a combination of their middle-/surnames together.

Graphs from statistics bureau: https://www.dst.dk/da/statistik/nyt/NytHtml?cid=20875

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 09:40 on Aug 9, 2018

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Hannibal gave alcohol to his war elephants to embolden them for battle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Makes sense given historically war elephants have big downsides in that they tend to panic and rampage among your own troops when they actually get hurt, iirc.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Getting them drunk seems like it would remedy that problem

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Seems to me that drunk elephants would create more problems than they would solve.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Alhazred posted:

Seems to me that drunk elephants would create more problems than they would solve.

All the extra pink ones running around will do that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think we're meant to be looking at merely buzzed elephants, not full on ragers.

Does remind me that wild elephants are known to binge drink when they realise humans have alcohol stores.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Do drunk elephants see pink humans?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

A movie just came out about him.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5314190/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Though it seems moot given iirc only one of Hannibal's elephants survived the Alps crossing.

Seems like elephants in warfare were mostly used effectively as beasts of burden before trucks were invented.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of Hannibal and the alps: According to one story he became tired of his men complaining about how dangerous the crossing was. He put his staff in the ground to prove it was perfectly sane, this causes an avalanche which killed half of his army.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

Coincidentally, this greeted me on Twitter this morning:

https://twitter.com/anarcish/status/1028473084397797377?s=21

:swoon: :black101:

"After Corey's death, the mummified body of Robert Worley (aka Robert Wells) was found in Corey's belongings with a gunshot wound to the head.[9] Investigators determined the body had been dead for about 15 years. It is speculated that Worley was an abusive ex-boyfriend of Corey's, or that she killed him in self-defense during a potential burglary.[10]"

https://twitter.com/Anarcish/status/1028474617424314375

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Mostly they drink so they can forget about pink humans

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That sequence is the reason Dumbo terrified me as a kid.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
It's also one of the few reasons to watch it as an adult.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's no heffalumps and woozles.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Ancient Egyptians had their own home pregnancy test. They tied a very fine thread around the womans neck. If she got pregnant, her enlarged thyroid would make her neck thicker and break the thread.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

Ancient Egyptians had their own home pregnancy test. They tied a very fine thread around the womans neck. If she got pregnant, her enlarged thyroid would make her neck thicker and break the thread.

Surely there must be a better way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

pidan posted:

Surely there must be a better way

For a very long time the best pregnancy test was to piss on frogs.