Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

What in the world is wrong with you dude?
Oh, just reminiscing. Always remember to appreciate the moments of life with bits of giggles and good cheer.

Oh Snapple! posted:

In general that'll teach me to think that I'm gonna escape the "well what do you expect, he's a Muslim" takes by not looking at twitter.
Nation of Islam is to Islam as Branch Davidians are to Christianity

Ytlaya posted:

While this is a good point, one could argue that being a prominent politician sorta tips the scales a bit in favor of the woman in this situation. I agree that it isn't nearly as clear as your "typical" situation like this, though.
It's time to dismantle the domestic abuse victim supremacist power structure.

The Kingfish posted:

My take is that he will probably be fine, politically.
Jesus. Basket case complex PTSD intersectionality word salad. I wouldn't be surprised if she could put together a similar essay about a grocer erroneously referring to a vegetable as a fruit sometime last year.

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, ideally the people opposed to MeToo have already expressed as such (through opposing Franken resigning, etc), and those who aren't won't turn against the idea just because one of the situations existed where the accuser was shown to be lying (if that ends up being the case). The whole logic to begin with in these situations is "believe the accuser unless there's some specific evidence for why we shouldn't," and if such evidence hypothetically existed in this case it wouldn't contradict that reasoning.
That feeling when you blindly support mob justice in lieu of any due process in a moral panic.

Pththya-lyi posted:

maybe (and I'm just saying maybe) the kid is making something up to back up his mom, or if there is a vid she's holding it back for some reason. Tough to evaluate this right now.
Finally gettin' redpilled on the nature of western women and the lengths they'll go to destroy one of our guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sneakster posted:

Oh, just reminiscing. Always remember to appreciate the moments of life with bits of giggles and good cheer.

Nation of Islam is to Islam as Branch Davidians are to Christianity

It's time to dismantle the domestic abuse victim supremacist power structure.

Jesus. Basket case complex PTSD intersectionality word salad. I wouldn't be surprised if she could put together a similar essay about a grocer erroneously referring to a vegetable as a fruit sometime last year.

That feeling when you blindly support mob justice in lieu of any due process in a moral panic.

Finally gettin' redpilled on the nature of western women and the lengths they'll go to destroy one of our guys.

:trumppop:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sneakster posted:

That isn't how things work. No one is arguing that people like this go to prison unless actual proof is provided, but proof isn't needed in order to think "it's more likely than not this person did this thing" and treat them accordingly. Absent some reason to think a victim is lying, it makes sense to default to assuming they're speaking the truth when it comes to interpersonal relationships; only the law needs to care about whether something has proof (because there's a higher cost to it being wrong than there, say, a politician having their career ended).

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Its impressive how you said its not what I said, and then proceeded to make it exactly what I said.

Ytlaya posted:

Absent some reason to think a victim is lying, it makes sense to default to assuming they're speaking the truth when it comes to interpersonal relationships; only the law needs to care about whether something has proof (because there's a higher cost to it being wrong than there, say, a politician having their career ended).
The entire point of a court existing is that at least one party is acting in bad faith. You're arguing for people to face repercussions on par with a criminal conviction based off the hearsay of a jilted ex or some rear end in a top hat running their mouth. You are quite literally arguing against due process because "people don't lie", especially not unstable people in fractured relationships.

Yeah, man. SPLC can't be trusted, totally biased organization.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Can somebody run down with me why Tom Perez (DNC Chair) thought it would be a good idea to freeze oil corp donations to candidates 2 months ago....and rescind that freeze today? Did he ever have a pro-renewable agenda? Does he WANT humanity to die? :psyduck:

The other part of this people aren't talking about, is that the Texas Democratic Party's DNC member who is in the oil industry and what do you know, he says the original vote actually never happened.

So its clear that the squeeze was put on from unions and democratic pro-OG donors to undo the vote.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

The Kingfish posted:

https://twitter.com/WaywardWinifred/status/1028846293555339264?s=19
Don’t think this was posted here yet. My take is that he will probably be fine, politically.

any non-fox news source on this?

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
When you people supported a hysterical mob on a campaign to purge sexual immorality to defend the honor of our women with the assumption it would be politically expedient, you swore an oath to suspend critical thinking, restraint, and to accept the most wild allegations as damning fact at face value. Its not exactly 'believing the victim' to require loving video of the incident.

Oh dear. Its worse than I feared. Diabolical rightwing sorcery has engineered a biodisaster weaving conservative lizard-brain genes into our blood. It's already begun to change the way that we heal.

Condiv posted:

Dude, its a direct statement from the victim published by a local affiliate. You can say what you really think it is: fake news.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sneakster posted:

Its impressive how you said its not what I said, and then proceeded to make it exactly what I said.

The entire point of a court existing is that at least one party is acting in bad faith. You're arguing for people to face repercussions on par with a criminal conviction based off the hearsay of a jilted ex or some rear end in a top hat running their mouth. You are quite literally arguing against due process because "people don't lie", especially not unstable people in fractured relationships.

Yeah, man. SPLC can't be trusted, totally biased organization.

On the other hand, things like this don't often have a lot of hard evidence, and there's so much of a systematic and institutional bias against the female victim that they often don't even bother to report it for fear that they'll face more consequences than their attacker does. And let's be clear here: a rich or powerful or connected person losing their job is hardly "repercussions on par with a criminal conviction".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The James Gunn fiasco, and follow-up attempts on Dan Harmon, are recent examples of the fascist right blatantly attempting, successfully in at least one case, to use spurious allegations of abuse and sexual indiscretion and the resulting liberal overreaction to harm critics of Trump. Both of those are a bit different from allegations of abuse and assault with supposed video, but just saying it's definitely within their wheelhouse.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I like how "Letting victims of sexual assault speak up without shaming or blaming them, and telling people not sexually assault and rape women" is "defending their honor" and not, you know, saying rape and sexual assault is bad.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Condiv posted:

It’s local news and the only part I read was the statement itself. No reason not to trust it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The James Gunn fiasco, and follow-up attempts on Dan Harmon, are recent examples of the fascist right blatantly attempting, successfully in at least one case, to use spurious allegations of abuse and sexual indiscretion and the resulting liberal overreaction to harm critics of Trump. Both of those are a bit different from allegations of abuse and assault with supposed video, but just saying it's definitely within their wheelhouse.

Neither of those had anything to do with sexual assaults or abuse, though - they were both about distasteful twitter jokes. They were both instances of exploiting corporations' fear of controversy to push people out by making a fuss, and had precisely fuckall to do with MeToo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Main Paineframe posted:

Neither of those had anything to do with sexual assaults or abuse, though - they were both about distasteful twitter jokes. They were both instances of exploiting corporations' fear of controversy to push people out by making a fuss, and had precisely fuckall to do with MeToo.

Fair enough. Just figuring that the right is going to jump on anything that they think will give them an opportunity to discredit their enemies, especially open leftists and/or critics of Trump, and take advantage of public hysteria and twitter mobs to do so. They've had years of practice at this.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

On the other hand, things like this don't often have a lot of hard evidence, and there's so much of a systematic and institutional bias against the female victim that they often don't even bother to report it for fear that they'll face more consequences than their attacker does. And let's be clear here: a rich or powerful or connected person losing their job is hardly "repercussions on par with a criminal conviction".
To be fair, I meant more along the lines of people who aren't celebrities since a campaign of sordid accusations in the age of the internet practically carries the ramifications of a legal conviction. I imagine most predators are opportunistic enough to have the sense to attack people who have every reason to not fight back socially or legally. Getting blackballed by HR isn't worth the nuisance when you'd rather just forget about it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't know about Dan Harmon stuff, but James Gunn situation was far far far more asinine since he wasn't even accused of even doing anything, just having making weird tweets and having morbid sensibilities no one could have expected from someone associated with Tromaville. Mind Crime.

The Kingfish posted:

It’s local news and the only part I read was the statement itself. No reason not to trust it.
Fake news. Don't fight the transformation.

Koalas March posted:

I like how "Letting victims of sexual assault speak up without shaming or blaming them, and telling people not sexually assault and rape women" is "defending their honor" and not, you know, saying rape and sexual assault is bad.

Koalas March posted:

White women and their family members have a long history of making poo poo up wholesale or blowing minor poo poo up in order to lynch or abuse black men.
Hmm.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fair enough. Just figuring that the right is going to jump on anything that they think will give them an opportunity to discredit their enemies, especially open leftists and/or critics of Trump, and take advantage of public hysteria and twitter mobs to do so. They've had years of practice at this.
Wait, what do you consider the bad part? Hysterical mobs, sexual/physical abuse, or insincere double think to get "those people"?

Its almost like salacious accusations lead themselves to gossip that's either non-criminal and not public business, or is criminal, and shouldn't be left to a semi-anonymous decentralized hysterical mob.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Both of her statements are true.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The right can jump on anything they want, but if they were interested in flat-out making poo poo up then they would have done it by now. After all, the Monica Lewinsky scandal was over two decades ago, and many of the same arguments you're making now were made back then to defend Bill Clinton.

In any case, the straight-up smear jobs are only being targeted against people in private industry, because they know that private companies don't give a gently caress about the actual allegations - they just hate bad press and will immediately throw anyone under the bus in response to any level of controversy even if it's obvious bullshit. Remember when Facebook fired its entire fact-checking team because conservatives alleged that it was biased against them? It's the same kind of thing.

Sneakster posted:

To be fair, I meant more along the lines of people who aren't celebrities since a campaign of sordid accusations in the age of the internet practically carries the ramifications of a legal conviction.

No, it absolutely doesn't. Stop saying this.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Keith should drop out of the AG race and resign from the DNC.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Keith should drop out of the AG race and resign from the DNC.

If it's true.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Condiv posted:

it quotes a named person on the record and local fox stations generally don't have anything to do with the Fox News cable station

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Telling friends about it at the time is a strong signal of veracity, tape or no.

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1029072542894448640?s=20

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Sneakster posted:

When you people supported a hysterical mob on a campaign to purge sexual immorality to defend the honor of our women with the assumption it would be politically expedient, you swore an oath to suspend critical thinking, restraint, and to accept the most wild allegations as damning fact at face value. Its not exactly 'believing the victim' to require loving video of the incident.

Oh dear. Its worse than I feared. Diabolical rightwing sorcery has engineered a biodisaster weaving conservative lizard-brain genes into our blood. It's already begun to change the way that we heal.

Dude, its a direct statement from the victim published by a local affiliate. You can say what you really think it is: fake news.

i haven't even read it yet, but in general i don't trust fox news and would like a secondary source

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It’s not Fox News.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

The Kingfish posted:

It’s not Fox News.

yeah i know now. i didn't though when i asked if there was another source and people jumped on me trying to say i was claiming it was fake news.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1029073817971449857

“Misplaced”. Whoops.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
if she told friends about the alleged incident of physical abuse contemporaneously, and texted Ellison about the video, that definitely bolsters her case at the very least

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Telling friends about it at the time is a strong signal of veracity, tape or no.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that, absent some specific reason to think otherwise*, I consider sufficient evidence of a claim like this.

* like evidence that there was some attempt at coordinating accounts, or that the person has a history of similar accusations, etc

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

I think if you're going to take that into account, you should also weight more heavily his ex-wife's statement.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Not really.

If that were the only thing that happened, sure.

But if she's also told people about a physical piece of evidence, which hasn't materialized, then it does not sound credible.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Not really.

If that were the only thing that happened, sure.

But if she's also told people about a physical piece of evidence, which hasn't materialized, then it does not sound credible.

So you're saying that if, assuming for a second that she had honestly lost the tape, you'd be more likely to believe her if she had lied and said she never had the tape in the first place?

edit: tape not time

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 13, 2018

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

So you're saying that if, assuming for a second that she had honestly lost the time, you'd be more likely to believe her if she had lied and said she never had the tape in the first place?

Yes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I think if you're going to take that into account, you should also weight more heavily his ex-wife's statement.

I don't see what that has to do with what you're responding to. It's a completely different thing.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Main Paineframe posted:

The right can jump on anything they want, but if they were interested in flat-out making poo poo up then they would have done it by now.

Where were you during Obama?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

drilldo squirt posted:

Where were you during Obama?

What, do you think the Anthony Weiner sex pest stuff was a right-wing hit job or something?

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that, absent some specific reason to think otherwise*, I consider sufficient evidence of a claim like this.

* like evidence that there was some attempt at coordinating accounts, or that the person has a history of similar accusations, etc

Ytlaya posted:

...Absent some reason to think a victim is lying, it makes sense to default to assuming they're speaking the truth when it comes to interpersonal relationships...

Quality work, detectives.

Looks like this isn't Keith Ellison's first rodeo though.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Main Paineframe posted:

What, do you think the Anthony Weiner sex pest stuff was a right-wing hit job or something?

No?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
You might have to think awhile since it was at least two years ago and it's white people making poo poo up to justify why they hated a black guy so it might have gone into the memory hole all that garbage goes in.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Just to note, that supposed newspaper linked appears to be at best 1 person's email newsletter and I can't find any other issues of it, the website is dead, and the person who uploaded it to scribed is filled with other insane conspiracy documents like https://www.scribd.com/document/77489390/FCC-UN-Internet-Takeover-2012

Also the subtitle of that scribbed page is "CAIR | HAMAS"

Obviously if Amy L Alexander verifies this story in any way shape or form that'd change things.

edit: that "newspaper" is credited to the Republican representative's son, based on the PO box of the publisher: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Emmer

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 13, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

quote:

Find out how despicable Keith Ellison is just in case you didn't already know. He abused this woman, must be his religion of peace.

are you serious? can you get out of here islamophobe? you're not really adding anything at all to the discussion

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

why on earth would we? "He didn't abuse me" from a third party rando means literally nothing. Abusive people don't always abuse everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Sneakster's link posted:

SHOCKING SENATORIAL VOTES ”Never argue with an idiot; they’ll drag you down to theirlevel and beat you with experience.” ~ anonymous
The following senators voted against making English the,official language of America

whoa this is definitely a trustworthy source sneakster :bravo:

edit: btw that comma was in the newsletter. maybe these idiots should learn their language before they advocate for making it the official language of the US

• Locked thread