Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Hey! I’m moving to korea next month, and I’m trying to figure out the best way to get money over to pay for my apartment deposit. Do you guys usually just do bank transfers from your home accounts or use a service like OFX or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
You can just do wire transfer using SWIFT or IBAN codes. Ask your bank and/or landlord for details.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Yeah, I think I’ll go with OFX, they have better rates than my bank. I was just more worried about the whole korean deposit thing. It’s pretty ironclad that I’ll get my deposit back at the end of a lease, right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

As long as you don't forget to register for the insurance, yeah. If the landlord refuses the government covers it then prosecutes the landlord.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I’ll make sure that I did that then, thanks.

Are there still a few korea goons left?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's around 40 in the Kakao chat with a few opting to not be in it as well.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Oh cool! I should drop by after I get situated. I’m reading through the OPs now, I’ll try and catch up.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If you’re asking if there physically in Korea it should be specified that most of those 40 chat members have left the country. We just keep chatting.

There are a dozen or so still there though.

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
I have a question about traffic in Korea. Does anyone know how bad rushhour traffic is on the major highways say if one were driving from Suwon down to Pyeongtaek? Would that be a feasible daily commute or it make me homicidal like D.C. traffic does?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Maybe an hour either way depending on your route and if you're in North Suwon going to South Pyeongtaek add 30mins. Traffic doesn't get terrible down here, it usually blogs down going North of Suwon into Seoul.

Milksteak
Dec 1, 2002
regdate these nuts

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hey y'all! Sorry in advance for a really long post:

I, a loud American, will be visiting Seoul (and Busan for a couple of days at the end) with my beautiful also-American fiance in early September. A little backstory, my fiance is of Korean heritage, was born in Seoul but was adopted at 6 months old and raised in Michigan, in traditional Midwestern fashion. We're at the point in our lives we have some money, but have not created any babies yet, so now is the time for my SO to see her city/country of birth.

We have an AirBnB for the whole trip, including a couple of nights in Busan toward the end. I have a friend who lives in Korea, I think in Seoul mainly, who is a semi-famous (i think?) rapper so he wont' be around to show us everything. Our second night in Busan we're going to a festival in some city outside of Busan to see him perform. Other than that we have no plans whatsoever.

A few questions:

- Can we navigate and explore Seoul without knowing any Korean?

My friend(s) that live and have lived there tell me that you can get around Seoul fine just speaking English; how true is this? Should I be learning some basic phrases, and if so, which? What about Busan?

S....should I try to learn some basic Korean outside of canned phrases? I saw the OP suggestion of learning the alphabet, which I'm happy to do but... is that basically just to be able to read the writing, translate it phonetically, and plug in the English-alphabet version of a word into Google Translate?

Other advice for a filthy monolingual?

- What should we research/be prepared for that maybe we aren't thinking of?

I have outlet adapters and clothes and a toothbrush, that's about it; is Seoul hilly or relatively flat? Is renting a bicycle a good way to get around, or should we just get comfortable with the metro?

Is there a SIM card switch type technique with international phones? Is Seoul the type of place that has free wifi everywhere so we can just survive with that or should I find a way to have data or...?

- What things should not be missed if this is our one-and-only time for her to see where she was born?

Cultural/historical stuff would be really cool, museums are lovely but remember, we don't speak a stitch of Korean! I'd totally love to check out a temple especially if you have to climb a crazy mountain to get there, but basically... suggestions?

- Are Korean music festivals different than US ones? If so, how?

I have no idea what I'm walking into with this festival; in theory we're going to be "on the list" but I don't even know how I'm going to relate that fact to whatever people are running security, given language barrier. All Korean music festival advice appreciated.

- Our AirBnB is in Munbae-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul....

...so if anyone knows that area and has advice about places to eat/drink/do things around there I'd love to hear em

Or hit me with any other thoughts, we basically bought the tickets on impulse and have been too distracted by other life things to do much preparation... we leave in 2 weeks and we're going in pretty blind, so holler atcha boi with some supportive words of advice!

e:

Oh one other thing, I'm sort of into ~street fashion~ soooo where are the cool hip (probably overly-expensive) places to shop for sneakers and other cool poo poo in Seoul? Is being 6' 190lbs. with 20 inch shoulders and a 44 inch chest going to size me out of every single piece of clothing in Korea? Am I right assuming that street fashion is sort of "whats up" right now in Seoul? I honestly don't love when I visit other countries and I get called out for wearing things that are markedly American (like I wore shorts in London in the summer once, every pub convo I had that whole day included my shorts lol :suicide: like sorry my capris were in the wash Reginald) soooo if there's anything that will out me as American at a glance plz let me know.

black.lion fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 13, 2018

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

You can get around Seoul pretty easily without knowing Korean but if you want to go to smaller cities or the countryside, it is helpful to know some phrases. I would just have a laminated card with like "where is the bathroom", "how much is this", "please, kimchi is too spicy for me", etc
Seoul is hilly, bikes are not a good way to travel. Fortunately it has great public transportation with buses and subways and taxis are cheap.
Street shopping can be found at Myongdong and a couple different areas. Expect to be super crowded.
Bring deodorant.
You might be approaching too tall for clothes to fit well.
SIM cards work, Seoul has public wifi in a lot of places but I always liked renting a wifi egg or somesuch because I want the guarantee to have it when I need it.
Seoul has some fantastic free museums like the National Museum and the War Memorial that I highly suggest and the Gyeongbukgong palace can be pretty cool to see too.
Korea is typically more formal in dress than America but no one ever complained to me about wearing running shorts and if they did, gently caress 'em.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TIPS AND TRICKS

Forget Google Maps exist, get Kakao Map as they have English options now. The bus schedules tend to be better than Google thanks to the government protection of map data and such to only Korean companies.
Get a T-Money card as soon as you get out of the airport, get it at the CUs there in the terminal, throw 50k won on it and travel on everything. Taxis, Buses, Trains the T-Money is your new god.
Google Translate is dodgy but will get the job done for most things, even in the country all street signage is in Korean/English (Thanks US Troops needing navigation aids).
Dont sit on the small seats at the end of the train cars, they're for olds, pregnats and broken.
Everyone is going to know you're American, but also no one will really care. You might get some sideways looks for being with an Asian/Korean woman, but that has really eased up in the past 10 years and she will likely get more passive aggressive poo poo for being a gyopo who can't speak Korean. But it's not like you'll be getting 'NO AMERICAN' unless it's some random dive bar in Hongdae.

Get Kakaotalk and PM me your kakao name (or add me, my name is nullscan on there too) and I'll invite you into the chat, it's way easier to get information on the spot and people don't really watch the thread much.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

For translation needs, Papago is actually pretty great, and tends to do ok with stuff google translate fucks up. Knowing hangul will let you order coffee problem free.

Renting a wifi egg is super easy, just pick it up at the airport.

Most signage is in Korean and English, as mentioned. The public transport here is very good and pretty convenient.

Korea is all mountains, and it's mostly hilly.

My favourite temple is Haeinsa, but if you guys are only going to be around Seoul and Busan you probably won't get to do that. There's a really neat park with a tiny temple, and a bunch of good views--I don't remember the name of it, but can find out. Busan has some great hikes, too; Seoul has some easier ones, but despite living closer to it, I know less about the temples worth seeing there.

Def go to Jagalchi market in Busan for fish.

Def take Nullscan up on joining the kakao chat, just so you can get on the spot recs from people.

Almost no one will comment on what you're wearing, but you will be asked a thousand times where you're from. People will also probably try to talk to your partner in Korean first before they realize she doesn't speak any Korean.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
On the off chance that anyone does give your SO poo poo for being a gyopo that can't speak Korean, they will probably leave you alone and maybe even apologize if you manage to convey that she's an adoptee.

black.lion posted:

- What things should not be missed if this is our one-and-only time for her to see where she was born?

If your SO is interested, you could try reaching out to her Korean adoption agency and request an in-person review of her file/adoption history. Your trip might be too short notice though (not really sure)? And not every adoptee is interested in that kind of thing. But if this is really her one time ever trip to Korea it might be worth discussing with your SO.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
In chat a lot of people have asked me about Jeju recommendations so I thought I would finally just make a post about it. I definitely don't know everything and especially am not terribly knowledgeable about the south side of the island. For that side there is a great blog post here with some recommendations of more hidden spots. In general that blog has a lot of cool stuff about Seogwipo hidden spots.

Note I will mostly write location names in Korean so you can actually search for them on maps.

For food a while back I added a lot to the Goon Food Map, wherever that is. But I should probably update it further as things have changed. But in general is a good starting guide. As most people reading this will probably already know I recommend against standing in lines as you will 9/10 times only be disappointed. Same with cafes; there are a lot of cafes that look very pretty but are completely underwhelming. If you are coming with a Korean partner or friend try to insist you don't waste your time with such places but also realize in the end people will just want to visit them in order to take whatever photos. Try and be a good person and keep a garbage bag or two handy to help pick up plastic coffee cups that end up being thrown all over the place.

I started thinking about food again and almost got into that but reminded myself that that discussion will never end so it is best for me to just update the Food Map at some point.

NATURE

Hallasan! Actually I have never climbed it but I've heard it is very nice. I am sure someone can chime in with recommended courses. I have just gone up 어리목 (pictured above) which was beautiful and not terribly long. Somewhere around three or four hours to go up and down. If you go early enough I think you can keep going up to the top of Hallasan but again I don't know much about that.

There are also oreums (little mountains formed by volcanic runoff or whatever) all over the place and are usually a quick and satisfying hike. Near Jeju City is 사라봉 which offers great views of the sea and the rest of the island.

Halla Arboreteum (한라수목원) is a big cool nature place also not far from the city but transports you into something which is very much not the city. There is a small bamboo forest and oreum which in my opinion are the best parts. Plus there is a convenience store at the base that has a decent beer selection (for Jeju convenience stores, anyway) and nice mountain cats.

Sunrise Peak is also really beautiful though can get very busy. Be sure to go down the stairs to the west that leads towards the ocean for other cool views with less people. Lots of cool rocks, shells, wood, etc ends up washing up here.

SWIMMING

Everyone loves swimming. There is a whole lot of water here but as with most places in Korea there are no fun police ready to yell at you for going deeper than your knees. Thankfully Jeju has a lot of nice hidden and local spots. In general any port areas are perfect to jump into the water (at your own risk). Through the summer I've found a nice way to confirm how swimmable weirdo little out of the way spots are is to just see where local kids are swimming. Make some friends for the day. Once school starts again you can also see where kids go to jump into the water once classes finish.

Plus no matter how busy beaches are almost all have nice side areas that are less visited and you can swim a lot more freely at.

Official swimming season is July and August but don't let that stop you. I think the earliest I have jumped in for a comfortable swim was late May. And I usually swim until mid-October. Even if the outside temperature is cool come October the water temperatures will be much warmer so take advantage of those empty beaches.

Samyang -- Samyang is famous for its black sand beach but there are three other small local areas very nearby. Honestly I kind of avoided the beach for a long time due to it being so busy and close to the city but in recent years discovered these spots and they have become the places I visit most often.

http://dmaps.kr/bbpqi This is probably the place I visit most throughout the year. It's a small jetty where you can climb down off of and into the water. Depending on the tide it can be very deep or very shallow. Great also for snorkeling.

http://dmaps.kr/bbpsj Small sandy beach next to the main Samyang Beach. Sometimes there are surfers or paddle boarders here. The lifeguards sometimes come over here but generally they leave you alone. Especially if you come during more quiet beach hours.

http://dmaps.kr/bbptt And to the east of the main Samyang Beach. This is a place where fresh cold water from Hallasan flows down and meets with the ocean water. The spot in the photo above is where people go for diving but more into the land there is also a small area where you can just hang out and cool down in the fresh water.

Gimnyeong -- Again there is a smaller sandy beach to the west of the main Gimnyeong Beach which is much less visited. The little port spot is great for snorkeling and when the tide is high you can dive off on the opposite side.

Gwakji is a nice beach but yet again go a bit away from the main area and there are more quiet swimming spots. Just to the east of Gwakji is Handam which unfortunately in recent years has become overrun with cafes. G-Dragon's famous cafe is here and after that came tons of others. Either way the walkway between here and Gwakji is beautiful and there are several places to jump into the water.

Hyeopjae and the neighboring Geumneung Beach are both beautiful despite the crowds. Plus Hyeopjae has the bonus of having Josie's Bottle Shop which is an excellent beer bottle shop right next to the Hyeopjae Beach bus stop. My favorite place to swim is the rocky area between the two beaches or the area to the east of the main beach. And if you go a little further to the west by bus you can find...

Panpo (sorry I would write this in Korean but my old crappy laptop isn't agreeing to switch languages all of a sudden) is a small port area that has been getting more and more popular in recent years (boo). Beautiful clear water with great spots to dive off of. From this year there have been lifeguards yelling at people for having "too" much fun but in general they still let people do their thing no matter how deep the water. Great for snorkeling and just floating around. During the swimming season you can rent life vests and stuff for really cheap at the entrance.

Donneko (돈내코) this is also kind of a nature spot. It is crystal clear ice-cold water flowing down from Hallasan in a beautiful valley. Super refreshing swimming adventure for the brave. There is one main pool and waterfall plus small pools down further. If you come during the off season when lifeguards aren't around you can jump down from the rocks or waterfall but please don't die. If you want an even more isolated experience find this road http://dmaps.kr/bbq5f and walk to the end. There are some super steep stairs which lead down into an even less visited waterfall and pool that you can swim at. The pool is a bit more full of leaves than the main pool but the lack of people makes up for it.

OTHER THINGS

Gimnyeong Hedge Maze -- The original hedge maze on Jeju which was built by the original expat of Jeju who sadly passed away this year but lead quite the life -- http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2014/01/135_149561.html Oh also the place is full of cats.

4/3 Museum and Peace Park (제주4·3평화공원) Even a lot of Korean people don't realize that Jeju has a very tragic and painful history. Even the aging Jeju population that survived the events disagree about exactly what went down. The 4.3 Museum lays it all out for you. There is some anti-American sentiment due to the current trend being the belief that the massacre of the Jeju people was partially encouraged by US forces but either way I think this place is a must-visit. Aside from the museum there is a monument listing the names of the thousands of people who were killed during the massacre, organized by villages, plus symbolic graves for people whose remains have not been found. This past year was the 70 year anniversary of the events so there was a lot of international (and national) coverage about it; mostly trying to inform people about the events in general.

Nexon Computer Museum (넥슨컴퓨터박물관) there are tons of museums on Jeju and I really don't care. Maybe someone can jump in and mention if there is one actually worth visiting. BUt the Nexon Computer Museum is pretty cool and easy to access within Jeju City.

5 Day Market -- There are 5 day markets which happen in most big cities throughout the island but by far the largest is the Jeju City one. It happens on dates that finish in 2 or 7 (2nd, 7th, 12th, etc). You can get some good souvenirs or whatever but it's also fun to just come and explore. Plus lots of really great food. Come to eat and drink makgeolli super early like the locals.

There is a lot more to explore but that is probably a good beginning guide for nice easy places to visit.

guri fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 14, 2018

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Thanks for the info everyone! All super helpful - null I downloaded KakaoTalk and (I think?) friended you; my name is jet cat!!!! A few other questions:

- wtf is a wifi egg? is this a thing I carry with me or just that I sit down wherever we're staying? Our AirBnB apparently already has one, but the concept is entirely foreign to me... which came first the wifi or the egg amirite?!

- speaking of people possibly having things to say about us, are my visible arm tattoos going to be a thing I should be aware of? My friend that is showing us around is like heavily tattooed and so are most of the people he hangs with, so I'm hoping we're not going to be in many situations where it's a thing...

- we inquired with the adoption agency like months ago and they said it'd take over a year to get the paperwork sorted; I'm guessing there's not really any other avenues to pursue to get any info at all, but just in case there are here's your chance to tell me about them!!!

Really appreciate all the help y'all, I'll be lighting up KakaoTalk with all kinds of dumb questions so look for me there, your friendly neighborhood JETCAT

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

A WiFi egg is just a portable WiFi emitter. I have visible tattoos and never had a problem - I even went to a water park. It’s not as restrictive as in Japan.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

So in theory I could just chuck this wifi egg into my bag and carry it around the city and have wifi in the literal street? That's v neat if so.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Wifi Egg is really only a good suggestion if you have a phone which is locked to a carrier, imo. Their batteries often don’t hold a great charge and it’s an extra thing to carry around. You can get some pretty good tourist SIMs from KT these days, but only from ports of entry or the Hongdae location, so be sure to select them before leaving the airport. Korean telecoms don’t restrict you from tethering at all and there are good unlimited data tourist SIMs.

Seems like as many or more young Koreans have tattoos as not these days, no one will care.

If you’re specifically interested in temples you can hike into the mountains for, Gwanaksan in Seoul has a sweet hermitage built into a cliff face and Seokbulsa in Busan is an old temple carved out of the rock face on a mountain. There’s a bunch more and the OP I wrote years ago is kind of thin on them. If you wind up joining the group chat I can recommend a ton more that will be convenient to you.

You’ll be able to do museums and just about anything else in English no problem so long as you’re in a major city, and Seoul and Busan are huge, so no worries.

I think everything else has been pretty thoroughly covered by others.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Okay so, sorry I'm apparently real dumb when it comes to this stuff; I have a Galaxy S8 from AT&T... I got it from AT&T so it's probably locked to AT&T.... does that mean the SIM option is out for me?

I figure we're going to need access to internet while we're out and about for maps and translating and such, so want to be sure to get this bit sorted.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, unfortunately. American telecoms are loving evil like that. In your case, an egg probably is the way to go. Those can also be rented at the airport KT booths on the same level as arrivals.

Unless you think you’ll be doing a lot of international traveling with that phone, in which case paying the unlock fee might be worth it.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

This is probably the last my passport will get used for a few years at least, so looks like it's egg for us!

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

black.lion posted:

- we inquired with the adoption agency like months ago and they said it'd take over a year to get the paperwork sorted; I'm guessing there's not really any other avenues to pursue to get any info at all, but just in case there are here's your chance to tell me about them!!!

I sent you a PM

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I'm coming back y'all. Gonna be spending a month in a village an hour from the city I used to teach in. I'm going to have 12ish hours between my flight landing and catching the bus to my village, can anyone recommend a place to stay near the airport? I'm flying in at 2AM, even on the impossible chance I'm not utterly worn out from the flight I'll want to try getting a jump on jet lag.

edit- And what's the situation with money these days? Going to warn my home bank, obviously, but should I see if they can buy won before I even get to the airport? Do I load up a cash card or something?

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 15, 2018

nullscan
May 28, 2004

There are exchange places and international ATMs after you exit luggage claim. As for accommodations, there's still a Jimjibang in the airport right?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

There is absolutely zero chance or spa on air having any available occupancy at 2am.

I don’t know any specifics on places to stay near ICN, but it’s korea. If you walk around in any neighborhood you’ll find motels.

ATMs are generally the best way to get cash locally. Unless your US bank has large fees, in which case bring cash and change at ICN. The money exchange windows are all actual banks, so decent rates.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Are you a cop?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nullscan posted:

There are exchange places and international ATMs after you exit luggage claim. As for accommodations, there's still a Jimjibang in the airport right?

ICN has a jjimjilbang yeah but its usually packed. At least when I got there at 11pm the past few times.

Edit - Here's the info page for Spa on Air: http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/ATR/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=1545019

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 15, 2018

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.

Bugblatter posted:

Seokbulsa in Busan is an old temple carved out of the rock face on a mountain.

Second this, it is an amazing view, and there are some nice hiking routes from the temple as well.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

superm0nk posted:

Are you a cop?

No, it's part of a residency that involves a group of 5 foreigners staying in an ancient mansion overlooking an ancient farming village and oh i'm going to die aren't i? this is definitely the start of a horror movie where i get butchered by a piano, right?

Appreciate the suggestions on jimjilbangs, I remember staying in Incheon the last time and had no trouble finding a spot, I was just worried something had happened in the intervening decade. My bank is a small credit union, I'll talk to them about international fees. Thanks for the reassurance y'all, if I figure out a phone over there I'll hop in the group chat and livestream my destruction at the hands of vengeful spirits.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If you mean you had no trouble finding a spot in ICN’s jjb, that probably has changed. They remodeled Spa on Air to appeal more toward international customers by making the showers and sleeping spaces private. But they used the same space, so now it’s basically not a jjb and it has a max occupancy of 50 people per gender. It’s basically always full as a result.

If you mean just finding a motel somewhere in the city, yeah it’s Korea. It’ll be easy.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
So who's watching Crazy Rich Asians?

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

guri posted:

For food a while back I added a lot to the Goon Food Map, wherever that is. But I should probably update it further as things have changed. But in general is a good starting guide. As most people reading this will probably already know I recommend against standing in lines as you will 9/10 times only be disappointed. Same with cafes; there are a lot of cafes that look very pretty but are completely underwhelming. If you are coming with a Korean partner or friend try to insist you don't waste your time with such places but also realize in the end people will just want to visit them in order to take whatever photos. Try and be a good person and keep a garbage bag or two handy to help pick up plastic coffee cups that end up being thrown all over the place.

I started thinking about food again and almost got into that but reminded myself that that discussion will never end so it is best for me to just update the Food Map at some point.

The goon food map is located here, for what it's worth: http://tinyurl.com/goonfood

No one has been actively maintaining it or updating it, so I'm not even sure what's useful/usable there now. I can try to work on the Seoul area a bit.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

nervana posted:

So who's watching Crazy Rich Asians?
Surprisingly MY WIFE isn’t that interested in it. We just saw “the spy who dumped me” and got a fun chuckle out of it.

I bet Mamma Mia 2 outperforms Crazy Rich Asians in Korea

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Bugblatter posted:

If you mean just finding a motel somewhere in the city, yeah it’s Korea. It’ll be easy.

Yes, this.

Do Korean drug tests detect CBD? I'm 100% NOT bringing anything into the country, but quitting weed cold turkey hurts and there's stuff I need to finish before I leave. I'm also not convinced I'm going to be tested, so, paranoia.

Edit: A less stupid question, I'd like to bring a bottle of locally made liquor as a host gift. I was also thinking about bringing some plant seeds, rare varietals of common crops so nothing invasive. Cinnamon basil and flowers like nasturtiums, am I going to run into any customs trouble?

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 20, 2018

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Dunno specifically with cbd, but weed is the main thing the drug tests are looking for, so likely? Are you coming in on something other than a tourist visa?

Otherwise, worst case with alcohol is you’ll have to pay the fee if they catch it. Might have to surrender the other stuff, dunno.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Edit: A less stupid question, I'd like to bring a bottle of locally made liquor as a host gift. I was also thinking about bringing some plant seeds, rare varietals of common crops so nothing invasive. Cinnamon basil and flowers like nasturtiums, am I going to run into any customs trouble?

Plants may not be allowed due to quarantines each country has and wanting to prevent foreign invaders to the ecosystem (see: Australia being really finicky about that stuff). If its a seed in a bag you bought at like
A&P you may be OK to bring it in without hassle and if asked to, just surrender it.

The local liquor bottle you would have to put into checked baggage due to TSA liquid restrictions and all that. Shouldn't really be an issue but who knows as that can vary by airline and by airport, let alone the agent checking the bags at that particular time.

For the liquor, worst case just get something in duty free before you fly out as a backup.

I brought in 2L of duty free liquor, declared it, and the Korean agent at ICN didn't even do anything this month. Just threw it in the pile and that was that.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guri
Jun 14, 2001

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

You should have no problem with a bottle of liquor in checked package. Just declare it on the customs form. There are some vegetable seeds that aren't allowed (seem to change every year but in general eggplants, peppers, tomatoes and probably some other things) and I think in general it can be a bit sketchy. That said I've brought vegetable seeds here either in my luggage or had them mailed many times with no trouble. The only problem I had was one time when they were in a package that was inspected. All of the seed packets were opened for testing and my tomatoes and peppers were confiscated. Everyone who gardens or farms seriously here seems to have similar stories.