Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even in the original books there is a bit where Frodo comes across a dead Easterling and has an internal monologue on how they aren't so different from his human allies and friends, and wonders what lies and threats caused them to ally with Sauron. But yeah, still comes across as pretty iffy at best.

There's been some writers casting an alternate POV on things, The Last Ringbearer was by a writer in Soviet Russia iirc who portrayed it as an alliance of feudal monarchists teaming up to destroy an industrialising egalitarian society.

I've read The Last Ringbearer and it basically just flips who was good and who was evil making the elves just as bad as Sauron. It isn't quite as interesting as it seems from just reading a description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll cross post this here since I'm not sure why it bugs me I didn't pick up for YEARS that in Batman 89, Nicholson's Joker appearing without the white face was actually the character's makeup and not the other way around. Not even sure when I finally picked up on the fact that he was applying flesh colored makeup over his bleached skin and I bet I'm not alone since I don't remember the film clearly showing Napier doing this although I bet it did.

It's irrational because I was too stupid to realize it.

After he electrocutes the mobster, he starts wiping at his forehead, and the flesh color comes off revealing the white skin beneath

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Len posted:

Watching Fellowship of the Ring with my fiancee because she's never seen these movies.

So the Wringwraiths Kramer into Bree to get the ring. They beeline right for the inn and apparently just go directly to Frodos room? They know exactly which room was his but not that he's not home?

There's gotta be something missing but I've never read the book so I don't know what that is.

There were "half-goblin" spies in Bree. Frodo notices a man who "looks more like a goblin than a man". Saruman sent these guys out to every country he could. :eng101:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Many spies have many eyes

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Schubalts posted:

There were "half-goblin" spies in Bree. Frodo notices a man who "looks more like a goblin than a man". Saruman sent these guys out to every country he could. :eng101:

That would make sense.

Also I'm fairly certain the Fellowship of the Rings that's on Netflix isn't the extended edition which infuriates me a little.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

In the extended edition of Return of the King Aragorn murders a man under a flag of truce and everyone acts like it was totally a noble thing to do.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll cross post this here since I'm not sure why it bugs me I didn't pick up for YEARS that in Batman 89, Nicholson's Joker appearing without the white face was actually the character's makeup and not the other way around. Not even sure when I finally picked up on the fact that he was applying flesh colored makeup over his bleached skin and I bet I'm not alone since I don't remember the film clearly showing Napier doing this although I bet it did.

That's not that bad since you can see the prosthetic smile etched on his face when Napier wears flesh makup.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How long did it take people to realise C-3PO has a silver leg?

This on the other hand is not an easy spot, mostly due to bright lighting on tatooine masking the leg in far shots and shooting up close or having his knees cropped out of a shot. It wasn't actually obvious until Empire when he's found in pieces.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is there a lore reason for it like there is for the red arm in the new movies? Because otherwise it makes Darth Vader of all people look incompetant

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

They did it to sell a comic that shows how he got a red arm. I didn't know people gave a shot about C3PO.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I realized it, but for some reason I liked to pretend it was the other way around sometimes and see if any scenes made that reading impossible. Wiping off makeup and putting it on are basically the same movement, just sayin'. Yeah, probably a good thing this was all pre-internet discussion or I might have fallen down a real rabbit hole there.

I also used to try and watch it with the mindset of someone who didn't know absolute poo poo about Batman and see at what point you'd definitely figure out he was Bruce Wayne.

I did have other tapes than 1989 Batman, but not many.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Makes me wonder if they shot the actor wiping the white makeup onto his face and reversed it?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nope. There's a link in the subtle movie moments thread where the make up guys from the movie explain it. Basically they painted his face white, added a silicone oil top layer, and very carefully applied the flesh coloring on top.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wow, they deserve an award for that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

rydiafan posted:

In the extended edition of Return of the King Aragorn murders a man under a flag of truce and everyone acts like it was totally a noble thing to do.

To be fair Bruce Spence is Australian.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Doesn't Vicki Vale throw a drink at him at one point and his makeup runs?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Randalor posted:

Doesn't Vicki Vale throw a drink at him at one point and his makeup runs?

Yep! In the art gallery. "I'm melting, I'm melting! BOO!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is there a lore reason for it like there is for the red arm in the new movies? Because otherwise it makes Darth Vader of all people look incompetant

Internet says this was in EU stuff so it's not Disney canon anymore, but in a comic some bad guy replaced his leg with one that had like a bomb and some reprogramming stuff in it to make him do something.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I recently watched The Long Kiss Goodnight, a Geena Davis action movie in the 90s. The bad guy is some CIA honcho that's angry about the budget cuts to his department. Inspired by the World Trade Center bombing of 1993, his plan is to do a fake terrorist attack that kills 4,000 people and then blame it on the muslims. Is this where the 9/11 inside job people got their idea?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Confirmed that Shane Black is 9/11 truther.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The X-Files spinoff Lone Gunmen had an episode where they thwart an attempt o hijack a plane and fly it into the World Trade Center. Which is of course part of a government conspiracy to blame it on some dictator to justify a war.

Aired in March of 2001.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Aphrodite posted:

Internet says this was in EU stuff so it's not Disney canon anymore, but in a comic some bad guy replaced his leg with one that had like a bomb and some reprogramming stuff in it to make him do something.

God drat that is dumb.

Luckily the new "Canon" is making sure to produce just as much poo poo.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Something I never knew I wanted until I typed this post: A Mad Max/Conan crossover.

https://youtu.be/4M5KE44xluo

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Pook Good Mook posted:

Luckily the new "Canon" is making sure to produce just as much poo poo.
Don't be a grumpus. The new stuff is some top-shelf writing.

quote:

SPACEPORT DUDE

And your last name

HAN

I don't have a last name.

SPACEPOTRT DUDE

I need a last name for the computer.

HAN

I don't have a last name, but I do have a number.

SPAEPORT DUDE

I suppose. What is the number?

HAN

SPACEPORT DUDE

The computer won't let me put in a number that is...

so low.

HAN SO LOW and SPACEPORT DUED look into the camera while a space trombone goes WHOOOOP-OOOOOOP and in the background BOBA FETT is being led in handcuffs out of the spaceport restroom in which he solicited an undercover stormtrooper for sex

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Peeny Cheez posted:

Don't be a grumpus. The new stuff is some top-shelf writing.

I didn't watch the solo movie, is that real?

Why the hell wouldn't they just say something about like, "no family, guess you're solo". You don't need a dumb pun his name already means something...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Why the hell wouldn't they just say something about like, "no family, guess you're solo". You don't need a dumb pun his name already means something...

No, that's mocking it. Your second line is what actually happens.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zaphod42 posted:

Congratulations, here's 13 billion dollars and a contract to write the Chewbacca movie

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Aphrodite posted:

No, that's mocking it. Your second line is what actually happens.

It didn't need any explanation at all. It's a surname. If someone is named Linda Baker does that mean they like to make bread? It's just a loving name and nerds suck.

Edit: Boba Fett is a distant relative of the people who started this franchise: https://itsbobatime.com/

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean that's how Baker became a last name. Someone was named John and he was a smith so he became John Smith when last name were introduced. Same with Carpenter, Kramer, Taylor, Fletcher, Bauer, etc. etc.

So obviously Han is descended from a long line of guitarists.

Wan Kenobi is probably like those "From/of [someplace]" lastnames like Van Halen, Da Vinci, Von Hayek, etc. etc

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Aug 14, 2018

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wan Kenobi is probably like those "From/of [someplace]" lastnames like Van Halen, Da Vinci, Von Hayek, etc. etc
In his culture the family name is first. In his case it comes from his great grandfather, who was employed as an ornamental belt.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
:haw: laughing pretty hard right now, you beautiful bastards

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I guess this isn't irrational but I hate how everything is getting a subscription streaming service. Netflix worked because it had a lot of variety but I'll be damned if I pay $5.99 a month for a CBS only streaming service.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This is going to be an IIMM that I'm going to have to break down into pieces to explain why it's an IIMM.

The Transformers films, when they first came out, I think they declared the reason for the redesigns was so that they could more realistically transform and move in a way that sort of had a reasonable conservation of mass and range of motion.

Okay.

Here's where my IIMM. I can't tell who any of these robots are. I get it, that you can't transform them to look like their cartoon or toy versions 1:1. They're also obviously locked into these predetermined altforms, so the final forms has to match that pretty well...

But wait, the movies even screw that up in every film. All any of these robots have to do is morph their altform by scanning some other car with a laser and suddenly it's T-1000 time on their auto body design.

If we're having this heavy duty morphing going on, and we accept it, in almost all these films... Can't we just also accept that when they finish going into robot form there's a light-duty morphing to smooth out the the edges, give them heads and faces, etc. to at least make them look a bit more recognizable?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is going to be an IIMM...

The Transformers films

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
What's stupid about the Solo thing is - alright, so he's an orphan, grew up on the streets, doesn't have a last name, gets assigned one by the government. It's stupid over-explaining things that don't need explanations, but it at least makes sense.

Then, later in the movie, he just causally mentions his father was an engineer who helped build spaceships.

So... he did know his family?! Or is he just pointlessly lying later on about his dad?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The answer is the movie had massive reshoots, like 80%.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Seems like an awkward joke. It would have worked better if at each check point they would read your name and group size, like "Weevel: party of four.". Since Han was always alone, they would say "Han: solo". So that would stick with him, or maybe later on he realizes that was his party size and not his last name.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Shnag posted:

Seems like an awkward joke. It would have worked better if at each check point they would read your name and group size, like "Weevel: party of four.". Since Han was always alone, they would say "Han: solo". So that would stick with him, or maybe later on he realizes that was his party size and not his last name.

It would’ve worked even better if they hadn’t tried to make an awkward unnecessary explanation out of it

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
That han solo is so hot right now...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is going to be an IIMM that I'm going to have to break down into pieces to explain why it's an IIMM.

The Transformers films, when they first came out, I think they declared the reason for the redesigns was so that they could more realistically transform and move in a way that sort of had a reasonable conservation of mass and range of motion.

Okay.

Here's where my IIMM. I can't tell who any of these robots are. I get it, that you can't transform them to look like their cartoon or toy versions 1:1. They're also obviously locked into these predetermined altforms, so the final forms has to match that pretty well...

But wait, the movies even screw that up in every film. All any of these robots have to do is morph their altform by scanning some other car with a laser and suddenly it's T-1000 time on their auto body design.

If we're having this heavy duty morphing going on, and we accept it, in almost all these films... Can't we just also accept that when they finish going into robot form there's a light-duty morphing to smooth out the the edges, give them heads and faces, etc. to at least make them look a bit more recognizable?

Its probably not irrational, by why is Jazz the only autobot to die in the first movie?

Edit: Derped hard

Jobbo_Fett has a new favorite as of 13:21 on Aug 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

What's stupid about the Solo thing is - alright, so he's an orphan, grew up on the streets, doesn't have a last name, gets assigned one by the government. It's stupid over-explaining things that don't need explanations, but it at least makes sense.

Then, later in the movie, he just causally mentions his father was an engineer who helped build spaceships.

So... he did know his family?! Or is he just pointlessly lying later on about his dad?

Someone orphaned young can still know who their parents were. I think the intent was that Corellia just has a low class with no last names, not a unique situation for Han because he's an orphan.

But the officer's surprise still doesn't mesh with that. He's a recruiter down in the slums, it had to have come up before.