Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

I think some very controlly bots could beat it, but they'd struggle against bots that are less likely to throw themselves around the box after a big hit

I'd be very curious to see Sawblaze go up against it since it has that monstrous plow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It was cheap, it was lazy, and this is still my favorite Battlebots match.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Vertical spinner behind a wedge seems like the best bet.

If they seed the playoffs, Tombstone at #1 would probably face that guy who won the desperado tournament at #16. He's got exactly that kind of bot.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 13, 2018

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bombshell had the right idea going for the chain, he just missed and welp. Speaking of which, Bombshell goon, why have you stuck with the vertical disc spinner instead of the modular design?

Bring back nets

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bombshell had the right idea going for the chain, he just missed and welp. Speaking of which, Bombshell goon, why have you stuck with the vertical disc spinner instead of the modular design?

Probably because the vertical disc spinner got him the best results. All the other weapons sucked judging by what we saw of them.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Stinger would be the robot I would always pick to beat Tombstone. Built like a tank, wheels that are difficult to completely remove, and excellent driving and control.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Queering Wheel posted:

Probably because the vertical disc spinner got him the best results. All the other weapons sucked judging by what we saw of them.

The horizontal blade pretty handily took out Cobalt, who was (essentially) the Robot Wars champion.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

He's clearly making a joke dude lmao

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mega Tento can take Tombstone

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Lasers as weapons aren't allowed I take it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

heh Ultimo Destructo sure is a modular bot, no doubt about that

I like how it didn't tear apart so much as crumple.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone else record this show and have issues with the timer? I'm with Dish and the show title changes every week forcing me to make a new timer every week.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I kind of miss the old lightweight division because of dumb stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7kVUOhiF-w

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I kind of miss the old lightweight division because of dumb stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7kVUOhiF-w

I assume people have seen hebocon before right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ivFpsmEVQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmRpfvr5uSg

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 15, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This rules.

"One entrant left her robot on the train. When she couldn't find it, she sent us a picture of her having a beer rather than compete. The crowd praised her act of supreme crappiness."

"This robot was fitted with several dildos"

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 15, 2018

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
tombstone is insanely reliable which is already like 70% of the battle

see: chomp getting anywhere because it refuses to break

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsDDhv2swbg

In case you wanna watch the skipped Desperado matches.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Blacksmith - Minotaur rematch!

...OK? Who liked this match the first time?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Holy poo poo Brutus with the greatest self-own

RIP

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Blacksmith - Minotaur rematch!

...OK? Who liked this match the first time?

6.3 million people, apparently.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i'm the independently powered and operated tread

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Bombshell is so bad this year. Dunno what the story is but they should have just improved upon last year's Bombshell and brought it instead.

These smaller spinner bots like Brutus and End Game just seem kind of mediocre. Brutus has a pretty strong wedge at least.

Blacksmith put up a better fight than expected. That hammer is just so weak though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Kinda poo poo fights this week.

logikv9 posted:

i'm the independently powered and operated tread

I'd love to know at what point in the design process they decided that was the best way to go. I'm sure they had their reasons, but ...

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 18, 2018

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Has any full body spinner not broken itself by the end of a decently long fight, or is it just basically a given

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

PostNouveau posted:

I'd love to know at what point in the design process they decided that was the best way to go. I'm sure they had their reasons, but ...

I guess you minimise weak points if you put the electric motor as close as possible to the thing it is driving, and if the motor is a beast you can pack your batteries and some control gear in there as well and have that sensitive stuff protected without having to spend your weight on a separate armoured housing? Presumably the track went amok when it wasn't getting its expected control signals from the main controller in the body of the bot.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 18, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

logikv9 posted:

Has any full body spinner not broken itself by the end of a decently long fight, or is it just basically a given

There's no way around that when one-third to half the weight is the weapon and it's hitting things with huge momentum. Two things happen when the weapon hits something, force goes into the target and, depending on the targets weight and friction to the ground, the rest of the energy goes right back along the weapon into the axis of the spinner itself. At that point either the bot goes flying or the internal components take the brunt of the blow. Of the actually functioning big spinners (get out of here hamburger bot) you pretty much have the more poorly built ones like Gigabyte that can't handle a stiff breeze and Tombstone that has a more balanced and durable design.

I'm really bad at Newtonian physics so don't cite me on any of this. :v:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gromit posted:

I guess you minimise weak points if you put the electric motor as close as possible to the thing it is driving, and if the motor is a beast you can pack your batteries and some control gear in there as well and have that sensitive stuff protected without having to spend your weight on a separate armoured housing? Presumably the track went amok when it wasn't getting its expected control signals from the main controller in the body of the bot.

You make a good case. I was assuming (becasue the detached tread was moving around on its own) that the two people shown with control sticks were operating a single tread each, but now that I think about it, I bet both treads could be independently controlled by a single operator.

It would be dumb as hell to have two people controlling a tread each, but what you're describing makes sense with a one-driver system.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Gromit posted:

Presumably the track went amok when it wasn't getting its expected control signals from the main controller in the body of the bot.

I was kind of assuming that the track was still getting the expected control signals that it would be getting if it was still attached. I assume the bot sends the control signals to the treads wirelessly instead of them being wired.

Also, I am curious if they would have stopped the SOW / Endgame fight to fix the plexiglass if Endgame hadn't gotten knocked out on that hit or if they'd let the fight continue?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

logikv9 posted:

Seems the full body spinners have the great weakness of self destructing if they hit something that won't move / take much energy from it. Thus whenever they hit the edges of the box, the insides turn to mush.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

The tread pods have a lot of space inside them. Might as well use it. Plus not having to route power cables from the center pod probably made designing and assembling it easier.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Seems the full body spinners have the great weakness of self destructing if they hit something that won't move / take much energy from it. Thus whenever they hit the edges of the box, the insides turn to mush.

If you want to try out the physics of this at home, all you have to do is to punch a wall.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MiddleOne posted:

If you want to try out the physics of this at home, all you have to do is to punch a wall.

The wall never stood a chance.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The wall never stood a chance.

Now find a slightly sturdier wall to get the full Gigabyte experience. Science!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

PostNouveau posted:

You make a good case. I was assuming (becasue the detached tread was moving around on its own) that the two people shown with control sticks were operating a single tread each, but now that I think about it, I bet both treads could be independently controlled by a single operator.

It would be dumb as hell to have two people controlling a tread each, but what you're describing makes sense with a one-driver system.

I'm wrong. I have it on good authority that the weapon has its own motors and radio and so does each tread, for both aesthetic and build reasons.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If anyone is interested RioBotz (Minotaur obv) did an AMA on Reddit -> https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/98ocf5/minotaur_ama_with_marco_from_team_riobotz/

They estimated the Tombstone fight cost $3,000 to repair their bot...

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Today’s episode is up on the discovery channel website

Tombstone vs Duck
A very fine fight. Excited to see both in the final 16

Petunia vs Yeti
Nothing too surprising in this fight

Monsoon vs Axe Backward
Have we seen AB in a fight before? An interesting design I’d like to see more of, I think it has potential . Have to improve durability though

Warhead vs Warrior Dragon
Very glad warrior dragon lost. They didn’t do anything the whole fight. Plus warhead has a much more interesting team.

Bronco vs Sawblaze
I think Bronco is my favorite bot. Still hoping for it to break a ceiling light as some point

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Has Warrior Dragon's main weapon ever not broken? I can't re-call a single time. :psyduck:

Also thank god Warheads spinner finally died. Their other weapon is so much more interesting and unique.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
bronco is going to kill somebody before this is over and it will be epic

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Warrior Dragon continues to confuse and infuriate me. Is it a spinner with a bonus flipper? Is it a flipper with a bonus spinner? Whatever it's trying to be it's amazingly ineffective and unreliable at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Duck v Tombstone was pretty much as close as I would have hoped but I was bummed that Duck couldn't seal the deal. This whole season has been about how unstoppable Tombstone is and I wish it didn't seem inevitable that he's going to take it all again.

Somebody on another forum noted that this exact same fight happened last year in RoboGames with different results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma0pSgKRpeQ

The Sawblaze v. Bronco fight was very entertaining. Bronco is GOAT for me

• Locked thread