Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Popelmon posted:

I love that the big "thing" in Killjoys is just green slime. That low-budget late 90's Canadian scifi look just works for me, it actually kinda makes me want to rewatch Lexx.

Even better: the same green slime is in a random episode of Lost Girl.

Also hi five fellow Lexx bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lexx is a show that I have a fond memory of but every time I see a clip from it I just can't wrap my head around the memory of enjoying it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wasn't really a fan of Fringe until the last couple seasons, which are fantastic

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

Lexx is a show that I have a fond memory of but every time I see a clip from it I just can't wrap my head around the memory of enjoying it.

extremely same

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ballers has returned on HBO.

The Rock says to know your role and watch his show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How does the Rock fit in an ongoing TV show (even if it's doing short seasons) with all these movies he's in?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Wheat Loaf posted:

How does the Rock fit in an ongoing TV show (even if it's doing short seasons) with all these movies he's in?

The Rock makes Vince McMahon, a legendary workaholic, look like a narcoleptic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wheat Loaf posted:

He doesn't put much effort into any of his projects so he focuses on quantity

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aquarius sure has a lot of gay rape scenes.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
e: ignore please, misclick

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Aquarius sure has a lot of gay rape scenes.

I thought it was a really odd choice to make Charles Manson a swingin' bisexual.

I mean, there's some anecdotal evidence that he would gently caress anything that moved because of "free love" and "drugs" but the specific things they had him getting into in the show were super bizarre. He wasn't just a cult leader, he was the secret gay side-piece of a high ranking politician??

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I know I rarely post and my opinion doesn't really mean squat as a result, but Lodge 49 really is a fascinating show with some good humorous moments and I'd hate to see people sleep on it. There were some people in the BCS thread kind of writing it off as the next Low Winter Sun but I really think it isn't.

As for Fringe, I would say that a good way to approach that first season is to focus on the primary characters rather than trying to invest yourself in the mystery and plot. The creators themselves have stated that they weren't quite sure where they were heading with the first season until near the end, and it shows. Once you reach that point though it definitely picks up.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I liked Fringe for a few seasons, but just lost interest.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

I thought it was a really odd choice to make Charles Manson a swingin' bisexual.

I mean, there's some anecdotal evidence that he would gently caress anything that moved because of "free love" and "drugs" but the specific things they had him getting into in the show were super bizarre. He wasn't just a cult leader, he was the secret gay side-piece of a high ranking politician??

It's like they wanted to do a show about Charles Manson but when looking into the details it turns out he was kinda not nearly as interesting as they expected so they just went "gently caress it" and turned him into an anime villain.

My main problem with the show is that it's not like they're gonna stop him from Helter Skeltering so there's not a lot of tension for me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Fringe had some decent moments, but overall is average. It's really uneven. The earlier seasons are mostly episodic and it doesn't really go deep into the mythology stuff until like season 3. Then s4 was sort of a reboot. And s5 was just bad.

5 needed like one more season to build up to it, but they had to work with what the network gave them. The Fringe team being terrorists using anything they could get their hands on as shock and awe weapons ruled, and that finale was great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Charles Manson's mom is visiting his compound and undermining his cult by telling embarrassing stories about his childhood. This is like something out of Venture Bros.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And s5 was just bad.

Fringe has one of my all time favorite series finales.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

Fringe has one of my all time favorite series finales.

There's that short bit with Walter and Peter on the street, and Walter tells Peter he remembers everything from the previous timeline and they hug and that payoff was so wonderful.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

There's that short bit with Walter and Peter on the street, and Walter tells Peter he remembers everything from the previous timeline and they hug and that payoff was so wonderful.

It did such a good job of paying off everything from "Astrid is a beautiful name" to the white tulip at the end. If you were even slightly invested in the show it was very rewarding, and makes the room dusty :unsmith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Charles Manson's mom is visiting his compound and undermining his cult by telling embarrassing stories about his childhood. This is like something out of Venture Bros.

I know, it's a gloriously goofy show.

The stuff in season 1 where Duchovny was interacting with the Black Panthers was great, I kinda wish the whole show had been more like that.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The big appeal of Fringe, beyond Anna Torv's Tatiana Maslany-esque library of characters, is watching John Noble as a cuddly, horrifyingly unethical old beagle

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mameluke posted:

The big appeal of Fringe, beyond Anna Torv's Tatiana Maslany-esque library of characters, is watching John Noble as a cuddly, horrifyingly unethical old beagle

I've forgotten a lot about Fringe but this one perplexes me.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Walter did some bad things

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone catch Strange Angel? Word on quality? Such a great subject for a show but worried that I never heard any buzz around it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Croatoan posted:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Lurdiak posted:

It's like they wanted to do a show about Charles Manson but when looking into the details it turns out he was kinda not nearly as interesting as they expected so they just went "gently caress it" and turned him into an anime villain.

My main problem with the show is that it's not like they're gonna stop him from Helter Skeltering so there's not a lot of tension for me.

It's a pretty strange decision to just start making up things out of whole cloth mind. I get that it's a TV show, but there's a story to tell with his flirtations in Hollywood. YOU MUST REMEMBER THIS does a great job detailing a lot of that and it's infinitely more interesting than anything the show comes up with.

Funnily though, though I'm usually against conspiracy theories, I think there's something to the idea that Manson wasn't actually trying to start a race war with 'Helter Skelter' and all that stuff. It was always the prosecutions' assertion that that's what it was, but even Vince Bugliosi admits in his book that it was a somewhat flimsy case. I mean, he was definitely responsible, but probably not for the reasons we commonly believe.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Croatoan posted:

Turning into a beagle isn't a bad thing, I just don't remember when he did that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Turning into a beagle isn't a bad thing, I just don't remember when he did that.

Beagles are the worst dogs of all

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Snoopy owns

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

IRQ posted:

I've forgotten a lot about Fringe but this one perplexes me.

Walter was an amoral monster that only got worse when he- BIG FRINGE SPOILERS lost his son and went to Universe B to kidnap that Peter, turning Universe B Walter from an amoral monster to a nightmare incarnate

Most of Fringe is about Walter's attempt to deal with his immense levels of guilt for literally loving the universe up with his selfish acts.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you look at it beyond Walter kidnapping his counterpart's son and fundamentally breaking their universe, like if you ignore Walter having done that, he's basically got the personality of an old, friendly dog. He's caring, intelligent, forgetful, and quirky.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I just finished 12 Monkeys (amazing show and beautiful ending) and Jennifer Goines is really close to Walter Bishop in terms of being one of my top favorite characters in anything ever. God I'd love to see those two wonderful crazies interact in some way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

I know, it's a gloriously goofy show.

The stuff in season 1 where Duchovny was interacting with the Black Panthers was great, I kinda wish the whole show had been more like that.

Yeah honestly I often wish it was just a cop show set in the 60s that deals with social issues and didn't bother with the Manson storyline or whatever's going on with that boring rich family.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Runaways comes back December 21st and this time they are dropping all 13 episodes at once

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mameluke posted:

If you look at it beyond Walter kidnapping his counterpart's son and fundamentally breaking their universe, like if you ignore Walter having done that, he's basically got the personality of an old, friendly dog. He's caring, intelligent, forgetful, and quirky.

Only because he literally hacked out a piece of his own brain in an attempt to slightly less of an amoral monster in the time before the show starts by selectively lobotomizing himself on top of decades of self-medicating with LSD and research chemicals. There's even a subplot at one point where he reconnects the removed brain tissue to try and recall some plot-important memories and he almost immediately starts acting like Walternate and has to have it removed again. In Universe B his callous disregard for others is galvanized by the loss of his son but even without that he's still dangerous and reckless with zero disregard for others, pretty much every bad thing in the show happened entirely because of him.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

Lastdancer posted:

I know I rarely post and my opinion doesn't really mean squat as a result, but Lodge 49 really is a fascinating show with some good humorous moments and I'd hate to see people sleep on it. There were some people in the BCS thread kind of writing it off as the next Low Winter Sun but I really think it isn't.

Same. The first episode of Lodge 49 was intriguing and I thought the acting, look and feel of the show were quite good. I feel quite sorry for the main guy, and his sister... It's a funny show, but kind of heavy too - or is it just me?

I was looking for a thread, but I couldn't find one. I don't really have much else to add, but I think Lodge 49 is worth checking out!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I just watched a trailer for Lodge 49 and I'm totally baffled. Just what is this show?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ynohtna posted:

I just watched a trailer for Lodge 49 and I'm totally baffled. Just what is this show?

A sequel to Lodge 48.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The short version: mourning surfer joins an inept and dysfunctional fraternal order while his sister deals with her own dissatisfaction while working as a ‘breastaurant’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Luke Skywalker joins the cast of Knightfall... which has also been renewed for a second season by History channel.

I did not expect that at all. I wonder if he'll play some kind of warrior monk.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mark-hamill-joining-knightfall-renewed-season-2-at-history-1134279