Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Some quests are only able to be completed at that point iirc. The changes aren't always super perceptible. Might be a new NPC that shows up somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, but what's all this post Ch4 stuff? I've done 3 of them and I haven't seen anything obvious that opens up.

None of the Battle-Tested weapons are obvious. There are new NPCs that show up in certain towns after you finish a character's chapter 4 and sell the weapon.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
You can sort of, kind of, guess which story NPC has each one and where that person might be. Except the dagger, everything about that one is just weird.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a copy of bravely default that I've never touched, that I borrowed from a friend. This is a decent game. How does it compare to BD?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

redreader posted:

I have a copy of bravely default that I've never touched, that I borrowed from a friend. This is a decent game. How does it compare to BD?

Its massively better than BD if only because the second half of BD is basicaly copy pasting the game and make you rebeat it 3 times before it lets you progress

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly I still kinda like Bravely Default better, mostly because I enjoy its job system a lot more. I like Octopath Traveler a lot more than Bravely Second, though. I think it's just because I really didn't like Bravely Second's combat balance--it was really tough to find a satisfying level of challenge in that game without constantly riding the difficulty slider, and that annoyed me. I'm glad I had the option to do that, but I wish that I could've just set it to one difficulty and had a good experience.

Incidentally, I'd rank their soundtracks in the same order (Bravely Default > Octopath Traveler >>>>>>> Bravely Second)

They all share the same weakness, too: all of them have very boring dungeon design. It's something I really wish this particular team would work harder on.

Barudak posted:

Its massively better than BD if only because the second half of BD is basicaly copy pasting the game and make you rebeat it 3 times before it lets you progress

This is technically correct but isn't quite fair.

Yes, the second half of the game really suffers from making you go through the same dungeons several more times. But each time you do it, there are new special bosses to fight, and those special fights are some of the most fun boss battles in the game. By the final loop, they're these awesome 4 vs. 4 battles where you're up against some nasty job combinations, and it's really fun. Plus, you can always turn off random encounters entirely, which makes going through dungeons again really quick.

I agree that it's dumb that you have to do it at all, but it's worth noting that there's new side content with each time you go around and that there are ways to make the whole process a lot smoother.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 13, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

redreader posted:

Default is better.

Second is better than Default.

Octopath is good.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also, as mechanically sound as all three games are none of them can hold a candle to the storytelling of the classic FF games.

BD is bad melodrama

BS is bad comedy

OT is comprised entirely out of FF14 sidequest chains

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I did all the Ch.4’s. I’m not too concerned about new side quests, but I’m reading that there’s a new dungeon. Is it worth doing? Does it add anything to the story? I’ve sunk 75 hours in and was pretty content at what I thought was the end. I’m sure it wouldn’t take me much longer to do one dungeon tho.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The Black Stones posted:

I did all the Ch.4’s. I’m not too concerned about new side quests, but I’m reading that there’s a new dungeon. Is it worth doing? Does it add anything to the story? I’ve sunk 75 hours in and was pretty content at what I thought was the end. I’m sure it wouldn’t take me much longer to do one dungeon tho.

You can. fight harder chp4 bosses and get good good lore then fight the real final boss which is the part you have to grind for

Do that first spoiler and it will be challaging and fun at how strong you are right after chp4s. The second one depends on how much you want to grind for a single thing...up to you

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 13, 2018

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I found the final boss fight challenging, but really fun! There's unique mechanics in it that don't really appear anywhere else in the game.

The biggest mistake the devs made with it was not having a save point right before it. Having one would not meaningfully affect the difficulty of the fight in any way, just make losing way less tedious. I hope they patch one in or something in the future.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

qbert posted:

I found the final boss fight challenging, but really fun! There's unique mechanics in it that don't really appear anywhere else in the game.

The biggest mistake the devs made with it was not having a save point right before it. Having one would not meaningfully affect the difficulty of the fight in any way, just make losing way less tedious. I hope they patch one in or something in the future.

If there was a save point I would def try it a few times with different strategies being underleveled.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I haven't played the Bravely's but I'm sure to do so now, but I know what put me off of them is exactly what drew me to Octopath.

I was never super fond of the Job systems in FFIII and V. I mean they are great, but I was always a bit lost when faced with all the choices. I was way more into FF IV and my favorite remains VI, which give each character a traditional class, but that's it. I like how Octopath gives you secondary jobs but the characters still represent their main jobs thoroughly. It adds to their development a lot more as people, and goes to great lengths to mitigate the weak plots, which I do like, but they are far from being the melodramas of the aforementioned Final Fantasys.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I haven't played the Bravely's but I'm sure to do so now, but I know what put me off of them is exactly what drew me to Octopath.

I was never super fond of the Job systems in FFIII and V. I mean they are great, but I was always a bit lost when faced with all the choices. I was way more into FF IV and my favorite remains VI, which give each character a traditional class, but that's it. I like how Octopath gives you secondary jobs but the characters still represent their main jobs thoroughly. It adds to their development a lot more as people, and goes to great lengths to mitigate the weak plots, which I do like, but they are far from being the melodramas of the aforementioned Final Fantasys.

I think the thing Bravely does incredibly well is introduces its jobs at a pace that is fast enough that you're always progressing, but slow enough that you're able to get used to what you do and don't like. Once you have the majority then it finds more and more creative ways to encourage you to explore that system further. It's a lot more accessible and less intimidating than FFV is from my perspective.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Natural 20 posted:

I think the thing Bravely does incredibly well is introduces its jobs at a pace that is fast enough that you're always progressing, but slow enough that you're able to get used to what you do and don't like. Once you have the majority then it finds more and more creative ways to encourage you to explore that system further. It's a lot more accessible and less intimidating than FFV is from my perspective.
:agreed:

FFV is a 26 year old game. It has a lot of cool ideas and the job system is amazing for when it came out but it's not even comparable to Bravely when it comes to ease of use and accessibility.

e: or when it comes to absolutely gamebreaking potential for that matter :getin:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I thought VI was the absolute worst as far as choices go. I remember loving that game in high school but I don't know that I'd ever be able to play it again with even my mild OCD. As far as I was aware (in the SNES era, anyway), you had to constantly open the menu and check on everyone's EXP after every battle or two and make sure to equip the correct Esper for the ideal level-up bonus when they were close to leveling. If they were learning certain spells and you just left them with that Esper, they'd get whatever crappy level-up bonus that Esper gave out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
As far as FF5 goes, There's always the Four Job Fiesta, which makes you focus on four jobs and beating the game with them, which helps with all the overwhelming choices. Still has a couple weeks left to run, too!

I need to give BD another chance at some point (I wasn't really digging the story and got bored early on), but I'm intrigued to see if anything in BD matches FF5's Chemist, which can give everyone boss immunities, level everyone to L255, and Berserk everything regardless of immunity, including the final boss, which in the earlier versions means you completely skip the second form of the final boss. Bard owns too for casting all-Stop/all-Confuse/Raise Speed/Strength/Magic/Level to 99 with minimal effort, but that's probably easier to replicate. Having both lets you beat the final boss without it getting a single turn.

I really love FF5, so I'm sure I'll love BD/BS once I give them a better go of it.

Phenotype posted:

I thought VI was the absolute worst as far as choices go. I remember loving that game in high school but I don't know that I'd ever be able to play it again with even my mild OCD. As far as I was aware (in the SNES era, anyway), you had to constantly open the menu and check on everyone's EXP after every battle or two and make sure to equip the correct Esper for the ideal level-up bonus when they were close to leveling. If they were learning certain spells and you just left them with that Esper, they'd get whatever crappy level-up bonus that Esper gave out.

FF6 is crazy easy, you don't need to worry about any of that when there's a half-dozen ways to break the game at any given time.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yes but I don't know about them and I don't want to break the game, I want to build the best party and the stat screen is the most visible part of that. That's what OCD is. Everyone has to get that +2 Str at level up.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I'm coming up on 70 hours in Octopath. I dug up my 3DS and my save in Bravely Default was just over 3 hours. I probably didn't give Bravely a fair chance but it never dragged me in like Octopath's "just one more chapter" did.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Octopaths map is so great for making me want to play more. The explicit locations and what I can do there is great. Zoom in and you can see obvious side dungeons and stuff. But the GO HERE FOR THIS STORY. Is great feeling and you can do what you're in the mood for.

Just got done with some sweet sweet Tressa? Maybe go assassinate someone with prostitution dancing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So I've got the best hats, armor and shields the spreadsheet says exists, I have the full suite of Battle-Tested weapons and a bunch of back up weapons for everyone else. I'm starting my grinding in the Forest of Purgation (pretty fast, actually). I think I have my final jobs figured out, but I'd like to check in with the thread to ensure I'm not over thinking it.

Runelord Tressa
Warmaster Therion
Sorcerer Primrose
Starseer Cyrus
Cleric Alfyn
Scholar Ophilia
Hunter Olberic
Warrior H'aanit

I honestly don't really know what to do with H'aanit and to a lesser extent Olberic, because H'aanit doesn't really do anything and Warrior is most of what Olberic needs.

Thoughts?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Some Numbers posted:

So I've got the best hats, armor and shields the spreadsheet says exists, I have the full suite of Battle-Tested weapons and a bunch of back up weapons for everyone else. I'm starting my grinding in the Forest of Purgation (pretty fast, actually). I think I have my final jobs figured out, but I'd like to check in with the thread to ensure I'm not over thinking it.

Runelord Tressa
Warmaster Therion
Sorcerer Primrose
Starseer Cyrus
Cleric Alfyn
Scholar Ophilia
Hunter Olberic
Warrior H'aanit

I honestly don't really know what to do with H'aanit and to a lesser extent Olberic, because H'aanit doesn't really do anything and Warrior is most of what Olberic needs.

Thoughts?

Two suggestions: I'd make a different character besides Alfyn a Cleric, as you're basically going to want to use his Concoct every single turn the whole battle (that group BP thing should just be his default action unless something else is more urgent), so you want a different character on Cleric to either be spamming the Divine skill or healing everyone or Reflecting. Secondly, I would suggest having someone as a Merchant secondary class (probably H'aanit if you're not using her as Warmaster). Having another BP battery in the group is more useful than anything the Warrior subclass has.

The most important things to get right on that fight besides job assignment are the party split and the passive skills. Raw levels don't actually matter that much, relatively.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

qbert posted:

Two suggestions: I'd make a different character besides Alfyn a Cleric, as you're basically going to want to use his Concoct every single turn the whole battle (that group BP thing should just be his default action unless something else is more urgent), so you want a different character on Cleric to either be spamming the Divine skill or healing everyone or Reflecting. Secondly, I would suggest having someone as a Merchant secondary class (probably H'aanit if you're not using her as Warmaster). Having another BP battery in the group is more useful than anything the Warrior subclass has.

The most important things to get right on that fight besides job assignment are the party split and the passive skills. Raw levels don't actually matter that much, relatively.

Merchant H'aanit and Cleric Olberic sound perfect then.

Does anyone know where I can get more Essence of Pomegranate?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Some Numbers posted:

I can't remember off the top of my head but I'm almost positive you can buy them in a store. I went to every town and bought x99 of every Concoct ingredient I could and had 99 of them for the fight.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Final postgame spoilers

Okay, my A-team appears to be able to blow through the shades at level 53 or so. Can I quick travel once they're all defeated, or do I have to beat the final boss as well? Is the A-team being sufficiently good at murder going to be enough and can you save before the final boss?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

I used Tressa and Alfyn as the batteries and Haanit Thief/Therion Hunter as constant debuffers. Olberic as Warmaster DPS but constantly healing would work too.

However you want to set it up but I liked the Battery/Healer/Debuffer/DPS role setup for it.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 13, 2018

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Natural 20 posted:

Final postgame spoilers

Okay, my A-team appears to be able to blow through the shades at level 53 or so. Can I quick travel once they're all defeated, or do I have to beat the final boss as well? Is the A-team being sufficiently good at murder going to be enough and can you save before the final boss?

You can't save at all basically and will have to do all fights again if you die. Also if you only have a decent A-team, just give up now. You need both teams sufficiently strong to do the final fight, as both teams have to do their own individual battles, and they're both pretty tough. You also need to equip everything for all 8 characters beforehand, as there's no break between fights.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Cool.

What passives does Runelord Tressa want?

I've not really given it much though honestly since I just maxed out her HP as much as I could and called it a day.

Ditto for Scholar Cyrus, he's running Saving Grace and The Show Goes On so that he can eat tonnes of damage and his divine buffs last longer, but I don't really know what belongs in his other two slots.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

IIRC I rolled with Saving Grace, Surpassing Power, Elemental Edge, Patience. Should let her do a sick amount of damage with a chance of doing even more if Patience triggers.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Mega64 posted:

IIRC I rolled with Saving Grace, Surpassing Power, Elemental Edge, Patience. Should let her do a sick amount of damage with a chance of doing even more if Patience triggers.

Patience is actually a really good shout. I'm not using her for damage at all but the extra turns will be incredibly useful for transfer rune setups.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

All of my characters had Saving Grace and Patience. Most of my characters had Divine Aura. The rest were some combination of SP Saver, Elemental Edge, and Physical Prowess. My Warmaster had Surpassing Power also.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So despite how awesome Boost-Start and BP Eater are, among other great passives, for the endgame, it's basically just Saving Grace and Surpassing Power?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Some Numbers posted:

So despite how awesome Boost-Start and BP Eater are, among other great passives, for the endgame, it's basically just Saving Grace and Surpassing Power?

No not at all.

Having looked at the suggestions.

Your Battery/Debuff/Healer all want to have Patience/Saving Grace/Divine Aura really since they're not focused on damage and just need to be able to eat attacks like champions. Patience gives them more turns to do their work/hurl BP seeds about as needed.

Your Damage wants Surpassing Power/BP Eater/Anything that boosts their damage stat of choice.

My Primrose setup ends up hitting for around 120k damage every break round. I think it's going to go higher since I was doing that at level 52.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

Patience is actually a really good shout. I'm not using her for damage at all but the extra turns will be incredibly useful for transfer rune setups.

You're missing out, my Tressa was breaking 30k an attack with Wind Rune and both wind-boosting weapons.

Some Numbers posted:

BP Eater's great for your damage dealers, but it's pointless for your healers, support, and your Runelord (since Boost doesn't affect rune attacks AFAIK). The tricky part really is fitting it above other valuable passives.

The only thing I'd say is mandatory for everyone is Saving Grace. Patience is great on as many people as possible and should be mandatory for healers and support, but for damage dealers if you like three other passives too much, I think it may be worth passing on (though Patience will average out to 25% more damage on average so it'll be kinda hard to top that).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Patience doesn't really average out to 25% more damage though, because BP is still going to be needed. If you didn't refill their BP after they acted earlier in the round, their extra action will hit for much less. Though you could have them use a BP item on themselves at that point to prep for the next round. :shrug:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Patience doesn't really average out to 25% more damage though, because BP is still going to be needed. If you didn't refill their BP after they acted earlier in the round, their extra action will hit for much less. Though you could have them use a BP item on themselves at that point to prep for the next round. :shrug:

The important thing with Patience isn't the extra hit in itself because that damage is negligible, it's the rune damage that will trigger on the extra hit.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
So finally got back into the swing of the game. Clearing everyone's Ch2's. My main team has been Therion (currently thief/hunter), Ophilia, and Cyrus. 4th slot goes to whoever's ch2 i'm doing. I think i am going to end up sidelining Prim for Tressa though, i have seen the light. So once that's all done, it should be Therion, Ophilia, Tressa and Cyrus. Is that a decent team comp? Still not sure about what their secondary jobs are going to be.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
You never really have a main team, especially if you want to play all the content. But it's fun to think about anyway, so I would suggest Prim instead of Cyrus.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

qbert posted:

I can't remember off the top of my head but I'm almost positive you can buy them in a store. I went to every town and bought x99 of every Concoct ingredient I could and had 99 of them for the fight.

I just did a 24 city circuit and I didn't find a shop that sells Essence of Pomegranate, but there are some monsters in the Path of Beasts (side dungeon near H'aanit's town), so I'm farming. I've gone from 15 to 51 in about 25 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Iirc they arent purchaseable, they only come from fights but Id love to be wrong!