Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

landgrabber posted:

i can't find them anywhere except the agile website and it's a tough sell to my mom to get her to spend a couple hundred bucks on a site she's never heard of (i'm a lil baby)

No different than any other online selling site she's never heard of. Their website is a bit...outdated though. I can see old people being suspicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

its curtains for Kevin posted:

No different than any other online selling site she's never heard of. Their website is a bit...outdated though. I can see old people being suspicious.

it's more about small sites that don't seem as legitimate. i can get a squier on amazon. i could probably make sweetwater happen as well. when i built my pc a few years ago, newegg took some convincing.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Then get a used agile on guitar center website.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Speaking of GC

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/Limited-Edition-ES-295-Hollow-Body-Electric-Guitar-Walnut-1433169999782.gc

Epiphone's really been outdoing themselves lately.

e;

he's also not wrong about getting an Agile from GC

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Agile/Singlecut-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol I remember when I was a young'n I went to go see G3 when Yngwie was on it and early in the show he tossed a pick and I got it and I was like holllyyy shiiiiit

And then throughout the show he proceeded to throw like 100 of them at me like directly and I was like hey gently caress you man

Keri Kelli kept doing this to us with increased levels of frustration when we went to see Alice Cooper ten years ago. After the show he called up my very goth friend and told her the picks were supposed to be hers and because she didn't get any he just gave her his necklace.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hey if y’all want to hear some good fun guitar music check out the new Myrone album Only Myrone Is Real. It’s so loving good, like all of his music.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol I remember when I was a young'n I went to go see G3 when Yngwie was on it and early in the show he tossed a pick and I got it and I was like holllyyy shiiiiit

And then throughout the show he proceeded to throw like 100 of them at me like directly and I was like hey gently caress you man

This made me lol really hard

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'd go for this one.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Agile/3010-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-114426221.gc

However they did have two of those weird ones with what looks like a tele bridge PU and a P90 neck which I guess might not be a bad idea for someone deciding between an LP or a tele. Looks loving weird to me but w/e.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Agile/2500-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'd go for this one.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Agile/3010-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-114426221.gc

However they did have two of those weird ones with what looks like a tele bridge PU and a P90 neck which I guess might not be a bad idea for someone deciding between an LP or a tele. Looks loving weird to me but w/e.

If that was on a Tele Style guitar rather than a LP Style I would be all over it. I have wanted to build a partscaster with a P90 in the neck (or a Charlie Christian pickup) for a while now - tears can have any pickup configuration and look cool. A LP with a Tele bridge and bridge pickup looks weird.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm convinced that if you put a LP Jr-style pickguard on one of those it would look 100% better.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

hot rails strat is suddenly looking really really good to me again.

maybe i have a personality disorder.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like my hot rails strat, it's pretty versatile.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

I like my hot rails strat, it's pretty versatile.

my main thing is that teles sound BRILLIANT when they're nice and clean but i hate them distorted. inverse for regular strats. maybe hot rails is the answer. a les paul with two covered humbuckers certainly is.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i also part of it's also being obsessed with whammy. you can't just undo being an mbv fan

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Remember how this whole thing started with you asking about Jaguars?

Maybe you should think about Jaguars. It is pretty badass to look down and see the Loveless album cover.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I mean, the current "Player's Series" Jag with a humbucker in the bridge makes my aging alterna-heart beat fast, and I've already basically got that with the Jag-Stang.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't really get taking SS guitars and putting a humbucker in the bridge. If I want fat beefy bucker tonez I'm looking to my neck pickup. Let the bridge be bright and snappy.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It's all about that 15k overwind babyyy

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Do you all have any favorite guitar-centric albums that aren't focused on shredding?

Tim Pierce is one of my favorite guitarists. He's a session musician, but he put out one fantastic solo album in the 90s. It's a little cheesy, but everything is super tasteful and melodic, which is what I'm trying to focus on these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7N8dFd1WKs

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't really get taking SS guitars and putting a humbucker in the bridge. If I want fat beefy bucker tonez I'm looking to my neck pickup. Let the bridge be bright and snappy.

it sounds good, op

Lester Shy posted:

Do you all have any favorite guitar-centric albums that aren't focused on shredding?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lenDBfin74

also sir richard bishop because he sounds exactly like me whenever i'm dicking around with someone else's acoustic

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 14, 2018

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

Tim Pierce is one of my favorite guitarists. He's a session musician, but he put out one fantastic solo album in the 90s. It's a little cheesy, but everything is super tasteful and melodic, which is what I'm trying to focus on these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7N8dFd1WKs

https://billorcutt.bandcamp.com/track/ol-man-river

Man plays 4 stringed telecaster real well :banjo:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Every Telecaster with a humbucker bridge I feel the same way. I got a modern player Tele (which had a traditional neck pickup, a strat Style middle pickup and a humbucker in the bridge) and sold it because I couldn’t get into the bridge pickup. I mean it wasn’t a great pickup to begin with but if I have a Telecaster I want a proper Tele bridge pickup.

Ironically after that I got one with no bridge pickup since it’s a great jazz guitar. I still want to get a normal Tele though - I have a Lollar special T waiting to drop in to whatever Tele I eventually buy. Can’t beat that bridge tone.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
See that I get, bucker neck. I'll see teles with a bucker in the bridge and a standard tele neck pickup. Who on Earth wants that?

I'm working on taking a standard style knockoff tele and converting it into a kinda '72 custom. I got a Dream 180 from GFS for the neck, I'm currently working on the finish. I'll tell yah, routing out that thing for the bucker and for all of the extra controls was an... uh... adventure.

It's all about that 15k overwind babyyy

That's even less snappy! Bah!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

See that I get, bucker neck. I'll see teles with a bucker in the bridge and a standard tele neck pickup. Who on Earth wants that?

I'm working on taking a standard style knockoff tele and converting it into a kinda '72 custom. I got a Dream 180 from GFS for the neck, I'm currently working on the finish. I'll tell yah, routing out that thing for the bucker and for all of the extra controls was an... uh... adventure.

That's even less snappy! Bah!

One of the things I really liked discovering was that the cheaper teles are routed for a humbucker in the neck even if they ship with a standard single coil. I had a 2007 MiM standard and was all ready to carve out a space for a humbucker - took the guard off and it was already routed for one. I dropped in a Burstbucker and drat that was the most versatile guitar I’ve ever owned. Too bad I ruined it trying to refinish it, though I still have a lot of the parts to rebuild some day

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
A lot of distorted stuff really only works with a bridge 'bucker, though - run it through the neck pickup and it just gets muddy/into the bassist's territory. My Tele and P-90 SG do fine with powerpop/punky stuff, but I wouldn't grab those if I wanted to get into metal territory. And I've never been able to get a Strat bridge pickup to sound anything but puny with the kind of distortion I like.

To be sure, my starting point standard for anything is a LP bridge, so I'm probably biased that way. As always, the solution is to Buy More Guitars.

EDIT - Just did a quick inventory and, not counting the baritone, my arsenal is split down the middle re: bridge pickups. Five HB, five single. Although the Lace Sensor in the Jag-Stang can be run as a humbucker, or two different singles, so...

Also, send help.

After The War fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 14, 2018

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've got a low-end RG that was my first electric that I messed around with, that has a bucker in the bridge. My actual strat has a hotrails in the bridge, but that guitar is wired so all 3 pickups are always on so that doesn't really count. My #1 is a Dano u2 so that's just two lipsticks, the sg is cut for a humbucker but I put a gfs surf 90 in there. That leaves my basses, one of which had dual humbuckers, and the Tele I mentioned that I'm building with the standard bridge pickup. I realized I'm more of a single coil guy and I'm just going to have to live with that hum.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I, uh, didn't count the basses because I didn't want you guys to think I had a problem. :ohdear:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, my wife's uncle (the guitar uncle) and his buddy stopped by our house the other day. He was saying "I thought I had a problem, but he's got 9 guitars!"

Me: "Yeah, I only have... oh."

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Some Norwegian dude named Rolf bought my 5 string bass. Hopefully I just helped gear up the next black metal bass player

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

After The War posted:

Remember how this whole thing started with you asking about Jaguars?

Maybe you should think about Jaguars. It is pretty badass to look down and see the Loveless album cover.

i don't like the way offsets look. if i got one i'd get a p90 jazzmaster and they're out of my price range

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

part of the trouble is deciding between guitar and bass. i like the bass holistically more in terms of sound by itself, but i want to be able to actually write songs, so i go guitar. but the vintage modified squier jazz bass for $300 is perfect, exactly what i want, sounds amazing. i can't find a guitar that's what i want like that, where there's no doubt about if i want it or a different kind. it's frustrating. some sound good distorted but bad clean, the others the other way around, some i don't like the look of - everything's a compromise.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

might put the affinity jazz master or even trying to con my way into a nicely priced p90 jazzmaster back in the running...

god help me. i have a problem

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

landgrabber posted:

the vintage modified squier jazz bass for $300 is perfect, exactly what i want, sounds amazing. i can't find a guitar that's what i want like that, where there's no doubt about if i want it or a different kind. it's frustrating.

That sounds like a winner to me, really. It has to be the thing that keeps you coming back to it, that's your motivation while you learn to make it to do what you want. You can still write songs on bass, and you'll know your way around a fretboard when you're ready to add guitar to your repertoire.

That's the path I started 20 years ago.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

After The War posted:

That sounds like a winner to me, really. It has to be the thing that keeps you coming back to it, that's your motivation while you learn to make it to do what you want. You can still write songs on bass, and you'll know your way around a fretboard when you're ready to add guitar to your repertoire.

That's the path I started 20 years ago.

bass tone seems harder to attain. i want to sound like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRYMQ3gxsTI

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

landgrabber posted:

bass tone seems harder to attain. i want to sound like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRYMQ3gxsTI

Any jazz bass with the settings Neck/Bridge/Tone at 10/7/whatever into any amp with the a low/mid/high of about 5/10/3 will sound exactly like that.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
https://youtu.be/8q742ZgZC28

What kind of guitar is martino playing here?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

https://youtu.be/8q742ZgZC28

What kind of guitar is martino playing here?

Not sure if the timeline's right for it but it looks like his Gibson signature guitar.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

landgrabber posted:

i don't like the way offsets look. if i got one i'd get a p90 jazzmaster and they're out of my price range

Jazz basses are offset! It's the jazzzzzz y'see

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

baka kaba posted:

Jazz basses are offset! It's the jazzzzzz y'see

i actually think offset basses make more sense - the unwieldy, less formed layer of sound asymmetrical and almost like a still frame of a moving rubber band. but guitars should be bulky and symmetrical to me.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If you really wanna play bass instead play bass, and when/if you decide to get a guitar for songwriting you can get a 80 used bullet strat. You can write songs with computers or whatever so get whatever instrument you actually want to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i think i'm just gonna get a telecaster. i like it clean and crunchy, just not really in the middle. it was what i wanted at the very beginning - even before i was talking about jaguars - and all the people i want to actually imitate tend to play them or guitars a little bit like them (i wish i had phantom money).