Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1029118323508891648

what the hell :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/utah-plane-crash-duane-youd-cessna-home-dies-released-from-jail-today-2018-08-13/

Cessna 525, dude stole it from the company he worked for.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Reminds me of one of the best/shortest Newgrounds games https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/528055

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

So lame. One dude offs himself by stealing a plane and crashing it and now this chuckle gently caress figured "maybe I'll be cool if I do it too" . No you won't. First guy was chill and tried not to hurt anyone and did a loving loop de loop and it was tragic but still pretty epic. You aren't even tragic, just lame.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

mlmp08 posted:

Reminds me of one of the best/shortest Newgrounds games https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/528055

JUSTICE IS SERVED

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Finger Prince posted:

So lame. One dude offs himself by stealing a plane and crashing it and now this chuckle gently caress figured "maybe I'll be cool if I do it too" . No you won't. First guy was chill and tried not to hurt anyone and did a loving loop de loop and it was tragic but still pretty epic. You aren't even tragic, just lame.

Also the Horizon dude was pretty clearly depressed or otherwise mentally unwell, whereas this guy's just a piece of poo poo wifebeating rear end in a top hat and the world is better off without him. The property damage is tragic, but literally nothing else of value was lost in the crash.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The crash site is bizarre, it's like the plane hit the front of the house and then all momentum disappeared. GTA physics, almost.

It looks more like it caught fire and burned to the ground while parked on the front lawn than a deliberate collision

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

FBS posted:

The crash site is bizarre, it's like the plane hit the front of the house and then all momentum disappeared. GTA physics, almost.

It looks more like it caught fire and burned to the ground while parked on the front lawn than a deliberate collision

Complete guess here:

It can be very hard to hit a target accurately with a plane if you aren't basically glide-sloping it in as if on landing. And unlike a video game where you can cherrypick a cool video click, you only get one chance IRL to scream in at 10 knots below VNE speed. so maybe he just drat near landing approached it. Also, planes are light weight as hell, and houses are big and generally sturdy.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

This happened at 2:30 am so honestly it's just impressive that he managed to hit the right house in the dark.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

the ominous Nine Inch Nails-like soundtrack in the background really sells it for me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is that a chunk taken out of the roof across the street?

It's also possible he managed to dissipate most of the crash energy into the front lawn.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Safety Dance posted:

Is that a chunk taken out of the roof across the street?

It's also possible he managed to dissipate most of the crash energy into the front lawn.

Good catch.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Jet fuel doesn't melt bricks

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

dissipated some energy into a Mini Cooper parked on the street

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

Rest assured, if that had been on display I would have taken many pictures of it. I had no idea that was even a thing until your question, but next time I visit I'll be sure to ask them about it.

As for not hearing back from them...they seemed extremely shorthanded, so maybe that's part of it. Like, I'm seriously considering asking about volunteering as a docent/plane washer or whatever next time I'm up there. Hell I ended up answering a few people's questions about various displays while I was wandering around anyway.

Thanks! If I remember to, I'll write a post here about it, it's definitely one of the weirder moments in aviation history.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This game is supposedly about a shark eating people and blowing things up, but it's really very AI https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/513760

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

FBS posted:

This was the first thing I noticed when the story broke this afternoon. He didn't even blow out all the windows in that car that tipped over. He didn't even set both wings of the plane on fire.

This guy both sucks at dive bombing and was too much of a poor to top the tanks.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
All my life choices culminated into a flying death gently caress punch that missed the mark and burned a lovely lawn, also my rear end in a top hat got blown apart

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Should have aimed for the trampoline to get a sick flip.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mlmp08 posted:

The Soviet anthem is a nice touch.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

WTF is it with large homes like that, with tons of space and big driveways and the put in a small garage like that? Hell, they could have had a quad let alone a triple. :confused:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

FBS posted:

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT WOOD BEAMS :911:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

vessbot posted:

I gotta admit I've toyed around with the idea of trying Vatsim as a controller (IRL pilot, not controller). I got this iPad ATC game with voice command and it's hella fun (WHEN YOU'RE ALONE). Sids, stars, vectors, multiple runways, speeds, altitudes, emergencies, the whole 9. When the game doesn't recognize the command right, it's an unintentional simulation of the pilot not understanding.

When you get more than a few planes on the screen, and get immersed, and are really trying your best to keep the flow going, it's pretty intense. My favorite time was one time during one of the higher difficulty levels, and I was in a pretty good groove. Had both my downwinds set up, departure corridors neatly separated, etc. and everything was flowing. Suddenly the wind shifts (and it didn't tell me it was gonna happen in the scenario) and oh poo poo I gotta turn the airport around! Since my attention was already fully zeroed in on the game, and the immersion yields a sort of reality, what followed was honestly the most fun I've had in recent years.

e: the game is (wait for iiiiiit) "ATC Voice"

Heck yes, need to hit a mic button every time you speak or is it always listening?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Always listening

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

vessbot posted:

I gotta admit I've toyed around with the idea of trying Vatsim as a controller (IRL pilot, not controller). I got this iPad ATC game with voice command and it's hella fun (WHEN YOU'RE ALONE). Sids, stars, vectors, multiple runways, speeds, altitudes, emergencies, the whole 9. When the game doesn't recognize the command right, it's an unintentional simulation of the pilot not understanding.

When you get more than a few planes on the screen, and get immersed, and are really trying your best to keep the flow going, it's pretty intense. My favorite time was one time during one of the higher difficulty levels, and I was in a pretty good groove. Had both my downwinds set up, departure corridors neatly separated, etc. and everything was flowing. Suddenly the wind shifts (and it didn't tell me it was gonna happen in the scenario) and oh poo poo I gotta turn the airport around! Since my attention was already fully zeroed in on the game, and the immersion yields a sort of reality, what followed was honestly the most fun I've had in recent years.

e: the game is (wait for iiiiiit) "ATC Voice"

It's probably good that iPads and ubiquitous internet didn't exist during the Reagan administration.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

slidebite posted:

WTF is it with large homes like that, with tons of space and big driveways and the put in a small garage like that? Hell, they could have had a quad let alone a triple. :confused:

As a kid I briefly lived in this colossal like 4k sqft. house (it was a foreclosure) that had a gigantic garage. Technically only 2-car width I think, but my dad could park his long-bed extended-cab Ram inside and still have space to park a normal car sideways behind it with the garage door closed; could probably pack 4 mid-size sedans in there with luxurious space.

I've always joked that my dream home is a 1k sqft. house stack on top of a 3k sqft garage.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

If you think the 4-pro E-2C looks bizarre check out the 8-blade E-2D now with a gas pipe in the front!

Stubby little wings, must need the extra blades to hold up that big radar :v:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

shame on an IGA posted:

For all these reasons, Maxis SimCopter is still the greatest flight simulator ever made.

I would kill for a modernized version of this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That is one game I have never played. Last helicopter game I spent a ton of time on was comanche vs hokum with lb2 before that.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I played a shitload of LHX back on the 486.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

vessbot posted:

Always listening

correction: you tap a button to initiate the command, but it interprets when it's over. Sounds hokey but it works out pretty good, I wouldn't wanna have to hold and release a PTT on a touchscreen.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

tactlessbastard posted:

I played a shitload of LHX back on the 486.

Hell yeah that game ruled. The intro music was really cool iirc.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Hell yeah that game ruled. The intro music was really cool iirc.

I got it on the PC archive site a few months back and that game was hard as gently caress.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

xergm posted:

I would kill for a modernized version of this.

yep. SimCopter was fantastic because it's a flight simulator that actually had interesting missions to accomplish.

I'm really looking forward to that bush pilot game "Deadstick" for the same reason.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

I'm really looking forward to that bush pilot game "Deadstick" for the same reason.

Cautiously optimistic/excited for that one as well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

tactlessbastard posted:

I got it on the PC archive site a few months back and that game was hard as gently caress.

Games back then were really tough. I remember an A-10 game that would positively wreck your poo poo the instant you popped up above a certain altitude.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ewe2 posted:

Stubby little wings, must need the extra blades to hold up that big radar :v:

I saw one showboating once and it seriously rolled >30° at a relatively low altitude. Couldn't believe it didnt just roll inverted and pitch down to its death.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 14, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Listen I am sorry SeaTac bandit died, but I have to say...

watching him do that loop and jets scrambled and...I almost peed my pants laughing

God speed man

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

everdave posted:

watching him do that loop and jets scrambled and...I almost peed my pants laughing

God speed man

Yeah, it's sad that he wound up in that state of mind where he wanted to end his life, and it's terrible and tragic and all that, but... what an absolute legend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

everdave posted:

God speed man

I just hope the F-15 pilots can give interviews soon