Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

TheSickeningTruth posted:

Why do you refer to this starloop dude as a she? Is he a she like "batgirl" is a she, with xy chromosomes?
Seriously guys, just because we can hide our wee-wee stick between our thighs doesn't mean we can turn into females at will.

Yet another alt that can't even last a month without posting something terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Why do you refer to this starloop dude as a she? Is he a she like "batgirl" is a she, with xy chromosomes?
Seriously guys, just because we can hide our wee-wee stick between our thighs doesn't mean we can turn into females at will.

Why does it matter to you what gender they are? Or who they identify with.
It only matters to them and shouldn't be any concern of yours.

E: Tok didn't pay taxxe

Dogeh fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 14, 2018

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

colonelwest posted:

Also, since we're apparently all self-doxing now, here's picture of me IRL and a snapshot what I'm all about.

I unironically used e cigs to quit smoking. Still didn't have the balls to smoke them down the pub or in public though.

NOT ALL e CIGS!!!!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Starloop referred to himself as "living with his parents" in that last batch of threads, so Starloop's a dude.

My question is whether Starloop is a true believer who got hit with a depression tsunami when realizing SC is a scam, or a shill account that took the "woe is me" way out of maintaining the account?

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

AlbieQuirky posted:

Starloop referred to himself as "living with his parents" in that last batch of threads, so Starloop's a dude.

My question is whether Starloop is a true believer who got hit with a depression tsunami when realizing SC is a scam, or a shill account that took the "woe is me" way out of maintaining the account?

I think it's probably best to take him at his word, not speculate about him, and hope he finds something that makes him happy and that is also not a fake game scam. :unsmith:

TheSickeningTruth
Jul 22, 2018

Dogeh posted:

Why does it matter to you what gender they are? Or who they identify with.
It only matters to them and shouldn't be any concern of yours.

E: Tok didn't pay taxxe

Because I believe that unlike homosexuality, which is a natural thing that can be found in every specie, the "trans" phenomenon is more of a psychological ailment that mostly afflicts people in modern Western societies.
As you say, it should only matters to them, and so they shouldn't expect me nor anyone else to play a along and call them with whatever pronoun their mood decide. I'm sorry, if someone is born male, he'll always be male, no amount of surgery can change that, and so I'll always call him a male, because that's what he is, I don't see what's wrong with that.
It's been said several times in this topic, a lot of citizens are unhappy with who they are irl and thus are looking to be reborn in the verse-matrix where they'll be a better, fantasized self. The analogy with trans is pretty obvious.

Anyway, I believe we have the right to disagree on that topic, I don't get why some people behave as if I claimed trans should be stoned or forced to play SC for the rest of their life. It's always interesting how people react when confronted with someone who doesn't share their opinion.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

The Titanic posted:

The games industry's biggest pitfall is that, relatively speaking, it's super tiny. I wouldn't be surprised if you put all the games companies employee counts in the whole world together and it's still less than Walmart or something (I could be wrong, I have no sources).

Walmart employees in USA: 1.4 millions
Video game developers in USA: 65678 (2016)

Source: loving google :)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Because I believe that unlike homosexuality, which is a natural thing that can be found in every specie, the "trans" phenomenon is more of a psychological ailment that mostly afflicts people in modern Western societies.
As you say, it should only matters to them, and so they shouldn't expect me nor anyone else to play a along and call them with whatever pronoun their mood decide. I'm sorry, if someone is born male, he'll always be male, no amount of surgery can change that, and so I'll always call him a male, because that's what he is, I don't see what's wrong with that.
It's been said several times in this topic, a lot of citizens are unhappy with who they are irl and thus are looking to be reborn in the verse-matrix where they'll be a better, fantasized self. The analogy with trans is pretty obvious.

Anyway, I believe we have the right to disagree on that topic, I don't get why some people behave as if I claimed trans should be stoned or forced to play SC for the rest of their life. It's always interesting how people react when confronted with someone who doesn't share their opinion.

lol get hosed

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Nyast posted:

Walmart employees in USA: 1.4 millions
Video game developers in USA: 65678 (2016)

Source: loving google :)

But that's with AI not counted.

Zzr fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 14, 2018

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oh dear.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

There is a ton of historical and societal reasons why this isn't a very fair analysis of what's happening, but in the interest of brevity: If someone wants to be called 'Jenny' and be referred to as female, does that really harm you? They'd certainly appreciate your efforts to do so, and no one is getting hurt. The 'social fabric' of the world isn't being hurt by trans individuals, any more than it's being hurt by any other member of the LGBT community. It's worth noting that the current professional consensus among folks who study human psychology identifying as a transgendered individual is not a mental illness or psychological ailment, and instead recognizes Gender Dysphoria as a real thing. I'd ask that you reconsider your stance on the subject matter.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Thread bad again. We are all civil meat on the inside. I hope Starloop is not a preview of sad citizen meltdowns. Some are scum or shills, sure. But most are victims of a scam.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I miss AP

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Don't worry. The snowflakes want you accept trans issues so they can take your guns. WHAT ABOUT THE EMAILS?!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

She’s about 20, it’s our family cat but my sister is taking care of her since I’m stationed thousands of miles away from where I grew up. She was the runt, but a big runt at about 12 pounds. She had a giant 25lb bobcat sized brother but he disappeared and was probably killed by an actual bobcat, around that time she got mauled really bad but fought long enough that we were able to rescue her. She was totally fearless until she got really old. She used to disappear for weeks at a time and come back, sometimes starving sometimes perfectly healthy. No idea how she survived to be so old while all the rest of her siblings died. I’m hoping I get to see her again because she’s getting up there. Sorry about your guy.

She looks great for an old cat, her teeth look awesome, I'm sure she has had a great life and I'm sure she'll have heaps more still.

Champion Catte!

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

PederP posted:

Thread bad again. We are all civil meat on the inside. I hope Starloop is not a preview of sad citizen meltdowns. Some are scum or shills, sure. But most are victims of a scam.

Aye weve been saying the meltdowns will be glorious, but here is one, the result of investing too much of yourself in the scam. :saddowns:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Store Citizer: They're turning the frogs gay!

Gender roles and attributes are mostly social constructs derived from biological imperatives that have been rendered antiquated and meaningless by modern technology. People can call themselves whatever they want, and live however they want, I don't care and none of it really matters.

The big crossover of Star Citizen and other communities is with the Far-Alt Right, Incel and Alex Jones crowd. The rest are nice guy neckbeards like Miku who pay lip service to left wing identity politics in the forlorn hope of getting laid someday. I've posted before about the social politics of Star Citizen, but its a symptom of much more macro trends than the relatively tiny trans community that has almost nothing to do with this game.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 14, 2018

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Ooooh, Goons and now Refundians. All we need is one more and there can be a triumvirate of, dare I say, the unwashed.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Pull up, thread.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Anyway, I believe we have the right to disagree on that topic,

we? your strange phobia is yours, we are all kind of cringing.
unless you source your quote.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

In these dark times of spiralling thread can I just say I think Star Citizen is bad and I think we should all come together and just rub.

Also, free tophat! (And pat all the catties and Kayak)

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

staberind posted:

unless you source your quote.

Or show balls to see if they are real male balls.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

BTW, I can see the point that thesickeningtruth is making.

It has nothing to do with hating on people, he's just pointing out how some of the Star Citizen escapism is similar to those who may wish to redefine their lives by redefining who they are.

Funny.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

:smugissar:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

doesn't mean we can turn into females at will.

You can't? Strange, i thought everyone could! I mean, it is the 21st Century!

TheSickeningTruth
Jul 22, 2018

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

There is a ton of historical and societal reasons why this isn't a very fair analysis of what's happening, but in the interest of brevity: If someone wants to be called 'Jenny' and be referred to as female, does that really harm you? They'd certainly appreciate your efforts to do so, and no one is getting hurt. The 'social fabric' of the world isn't being hurt by trans individuals, any more than it's being hurt by any other member of the LGBT community. It's worth noting that the current professional consensus among folks who study human psychology identifying as a transgendered individual is not a mental illness or psychological ailment, and instead recognizes Gender Dysphoria as a real thing. I'd ask that you reconsider your stance on the subject matter.

I've never claimed it harms me, nor that it hurts the social fabric. I'm not sure why everyone is acting like I'm on an anti-trans crusade or something. All I've said is that even is some male claims to be a she, he'll still have his xy chromosomes and everyone is behaving as if I said trans people should be put in concentration camps. People tell me to get hosed, to go die, but I'm the bad one. Whatever, I don't think what we're posting here has any impact on the lifes of trans people anyway.
Thank you for the link, that was an interesting read, but it doesn't contradict my point of view. And I'm open to reconsider my stance but I think you didn't really understand what this stance is, thus the tribal crusade that would make citizens proud.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

In these dark times of spiralling thread can I just say I think Star Citizen is bad and I think we should all come together and just rub.

Also, free tophat! (And pat all the catties and Kayak)

speaking of, we haven't seen any pics of our doggo moderator in a while :kayak:

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

I think it's probably best to take him at his word, not speculate about him, and hope he finds something that makes him happy and that is also not a fake game scam. :unsmith:

I want to see the post that caused this sudden moment of clarity, and set all of his opinions 180 degrees to what they were.

A powerful post.

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 14, 2018

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Dongsturm posted:

I want to see the post that caused this sudden moment of clarity, and set all of his opinions 180 degrees to what they were.

A powerful post.

It was:

"Star Citizer is bad."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

I've never claimed it harms me, nor that it hurts the social fabric. I'm not sure why everyone is acting like I'm on an anti-trans crusade or something. All I've said is that even is some male claims to be a she, he'll still have his xy chromosomes and everyone is behaving as if I said trans people should be put in concentration camps. People tell me to get hosed, to go die, but I'm the bad one. Whatever, I don't think what we're posting here has any impact on the lifes of trans people anyway.
Thank you for the link, that was an interesting read, but it doesn't contradict my point of view. And I'm open to reconsider my stance but I think you didn't really understand what this stance is, thus the tribal crusade that would make citizens proud.

you think sex and gender are the same thing

they are not

your argument is essentially that the moon is the same thing as the sun because well they both glow right???

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Mr Fronts posted:

It was:

"Star Citizer is bad."

A truth that can shake people to the core.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Mr Fronts posted:

It was:

"Star Citizer is bad."

What can change the nature of a man?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Dongsturm posted:

What can change the nature of a man?

A man chooses, a Idris turret gunner goonslave indentured for anti-SC FUD obeys.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
"It is something we are doing; just don't know when."

:allears::allears::allears:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Whatever, I don't think what we're posting here has any impact on the lifes of trans people anyway.

It actually does.

In your real life, in refusing to use someone's preferred pronoun and treat them as the gender by which the identify you cause them a lot of mental anguish, and if you do it to someone who passes well in the presence of folks who only knew them post-transition you are literally outing them and could get them beaten up or, in extreme cases, killed. This is not a joke and is an actual risk trans people face.

Posting here about how Cool and Good such behavior is will make trans people who are reading this thread upset, worried about encountering more people like you in the real world, and could make those who experience gender dysphoria but have not yet done anything about it more likely to be scared of transitioning.

Please, if I can't change your mind about your beliefs then fine, I think you are wrong but I very much doubt there's anything I can type in an internet thread to change your mind. But please please PLEASE use people's preferred pronoun and don't deliberately out them in real life. If you have to think of it as playing along with a silly belief you don't share out of politeness, like an atheist playing along in church and not screaming "THERE IS NO GOD!" and refusing to pretend to pray at a funeral.

I know a LOT of trans people, many of whom are years post-transition and pass very well, one of the biggest fears they have in day to day life is some random person from their past coming along and outing them in public. I've seen it happen and even with a well meaning acquaintance just putting their foot in their mouth and apologising it causes no end of hurt and upset, some smug arse rolling their eyes and deliberately using their past gender is not a harmless action, as I said at best it will upset them and at worst could endanger their physical safety.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Store Citizer: It's something we are doing, we just don't know when.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

I think people are assuming you would go out of your way to upset transpeople which, correct me if i'm wrong, isn't your point at all. You're entitled to your view but you're not the kind of person who would intentionally antagonise transpeople by using non preferred pronouns, right?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
lol im the loving rear end in a top hat in the thread that won't respect the wishes of an unknown individual and call them by the name/gender they wish because i have a giant stick up my rear end and lack empathy

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Thread is bad again.

:siren:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgkD1scIkKw:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

And it’s actually no skin off anyone’s nose to use the pronouns someone requests. I’ll admit that the subject makes me feel really uncomfortable, but the world isn’t built for my comfort, and that whole loving ‘Western society’ component really betrays huge ignorance of societal and social pressures against people being themselves because they face violence from people that externalize their discomfort in a direct fashion.

People are generally awful and thoughtless, and a small kindness, just accepting someone as they want to be, is literally the lowest bar to having a society that functions.