Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Oxxidation posted:

salt and sanctuary was great even if the color palette was 80% mud

I played through it because I was, again, desperate for Dark Souls 3 to come out, and I left with a really bad opinion of it lol. The movement felt dated even at the time, the map design blurred together, combat and weapon differences all blurred together ...... the local co-op sounded cool and maybe I would have enjoyed it more at the time if I tried that but for me it ended up being like a 2/5 on the internal ratings scale

edit: and i'm a weirdo who played Ska Software games back in like the early 2000s pre-steam where you'd just paypal them some money and when the real person on the other end got around to it they'd email you a download link for the game . I love all their river city random adjacent stuff but S&S felt like a really misplaced effort from a talented studio

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

^^^ also don't take that exactly as an endorsement for Death's Gambit because I'm pretty sure I was saying good things about Salt & Sanctuary an hour in=o that game too lol. This one though feels like almost more of a blatant Dark Souls ripoff by also a game that rips it off really well

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Has anyone tried Phantom Doctrine on ps4? How does it run?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What is it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Sns is too ugly and too derivative to get away with being annoying to play

I totally agree with this but I kind feel bad for it since it’s not a terrible game by any means and it’s pretty impressive that it was made by two people. At the same time I can’t stand the art style and it didn’t do enough to make itself not seem totally derivative of Dark Souls.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Witcher 3 is...um...yeah :stare:
It’s just plain well written, from the most minor NPCs up. 1 and 2 were the same way.

Man I wish 1 and 2 could be remade with gameplay at least as good as 3.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I totally agree with this but I kind feel bad for it since it’s not a terrible game by any means and it’s pretty impressive that it was made by two people. At the same time I can’t stand the art style and it didn’t do enough to make itself not seem totally derivative of Dark Souls.

I'm ok with the idea of more games (especially in the 2D space) that are derivative of dark souls but they all seem to take the wrong lessons from it. Like, souls games can get away with not having any kind of map system because they're full of landmarks and memorable level sections and in my experience you just learn your route naturally really quickly and spend little to no time stumbling around after your first trip through any area. In Salt and Sanctuary everything looked like washed out crap and it was agonizing that they didn't add a Metroid/Castlevania style map to the game -- the only reason I can imagine they didn't is because "dark souls doesn't have one" but that idea doesn't translate over well to 2D, especially in a game with such a bogus visual style

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

goferchan posted:

I'm ok with the idea of more games (especially in the 2D space) that are derivative of dark souls but they all seem to take the wrong lessons from it. Like, souls games can get away with not having any kind of map system because they're full of landmarks and memorable level sections and in my experience you just learn your route naturally really quickly and spend little to no time stumbling around after your first trip through any area. In Salt and Sanctuary everything looked like washed out crap and it was agonizing that they didn't add a Metroid/Castlevania style map to the game -- the only reason I can imagine they didn't is because "dark souls doesn't have one" but that idea doesn't translate over well to 2D, especially in a game with such a bogus visual style

Also Dark Souls was able to "get away" with not having a map but I also don't think it gained much by not having one.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Witcher 3 is...um...yeah :stare:

but the quests so far are great.
Oh man you have some rad poo poo coming up. Please post your thoughts when you finish the main story quest of "the Bloody Baron".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

Also Dark Souls was able to "get away" with not having a map but I also don't think it gained much by not having one.
Really? Being forced to remember even the inert parts of the environment to get my bearings always meant a lot to me.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Oh man you have some rad poo poo coming up. Please post your thoughts when you finish the main story quest of "the Bloody Baron".

Bloody Baron was such a miss for me. I hated how they tried to make me sympathize with him. I never bought his repenetiveness at all. . Also, the ending of that storyline was a wet, anticlimactic fart. At least in my playthrough. I really enjoyed the witches and would have preferred to have them as my primary quest givers in the area. They were delightfully creepy.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 14, 2018

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DrNutt posted:

That's a reasonable thing to say and totally a good subject for debate but I think the whole series is stronger for not implementing maps. There are similar Dark Souls examples but here's a bloodborne one -- finding the way that the forbidden woods link up to Ioefska's Clinic blew my loving mind and if they were clearly adjacent on some sort of world map that would have lost all its impact. -- the games aren't always so consistent with geographical coherency (that's one of the big dark souls 2 criticisms) but when they pull off wild shortcuts like that that totally make sense within the game world it makes me feel small and makes the world feel big, in a good way -- I think with a big old world map or area map I'd miss that feeling of wandering around and I'd lose some of the sense of surprise in how the game fits together.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Renoistic posted:

Bloody Baron was such a miss for me. I hated how they tried to make me sympathize with him. I never bought his repenetiveness at all. . Also, the ending of that storyline was a wet, anticlimactic fart. At least in my playthrough. I really enjoyed the witches and would have preferred to have them as my primary quest givers in the area. They were delightfully creepy.

Completely agree.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

screaden posted:

Downloaded the entire soundtrack only to discover this wasn't actually a part of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkAvQj3gMvw

EY BOOOOOOOY!

There’s 39 tracks in the game that aren’t on the soundtrack (a total of 132!!!). Some nice people ripped them from the game assets and put them up on YouTube, tracks such as the Don Quixote store music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk1u9UcJqt0

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah that’s something I can understand not liking but I wouldn’t want dark souls to have a map. And I think they did what they needed to do on their end by making the areas distinct and memorable in a way that you’ll never feel lost in a way that isn’t enjoyable.

But yeah S&S it was just awful trying to get around without one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Lol at voluntarily listening to the Don Quixote store music.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Finally finished DOOM. That was a hugely satisfying game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

X-COM / Metal Gear / Turn based strategy game set in the 80s

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865558

It looks really cool but I'm wondering if it runs like X-Com 2 on PS4, which is not very well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

Next you’re gonna tell me you don’t like the Yodobashi Camera jingle on repeat all day in the store :argh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

Next you’re gonna tell me you don’t like the Yodobashi Camera jingle on repeat all day in the store :argh:
I’ve spent so much time in Yodobashi Camera I don’t even hear it anymore.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Samurai Sanders posted:

Really? Being forced to remember even the inert parts of the environment to get my bearings always meant a lot to me.

I think this might have been true for me for half of the first game, but then you get fast travel from certain bonfires, and 2 and 3 have fast travel from every bonfire unlocked from the start.

I think a map of only places you had been would have been fine and certainly in line with the metroidvania games it was in the lineage of.

But I also think it works fine without one because in the first game the world design is amazing and more importantly much more compact than it first appears. I actually think a map would have been much more beneficial in the larger worlds of 2 and 3, but again that was mostly mitigated by the fact that it has bonfire travel. You never spend any time thinking about "how do I get back to 'x?'" because you just warp there.

goferchan posted:

That's a reasonable thing to say and totally a good subject for debate but I think the whole series is stronger for not implementing maps. There are similar Dark Souls examples but here's a bloodborne one -- finding the way that the forbidden woods link up to Ioefska's Clinic blew my loving mind and if they were clearly adjacent on some sort of world map that would have lost all its impact. -- the games aren't always so consistent with geographical coherency (that's one of the big dark souls 2 criticisms) but when they pull off wild shortcuts like that that totally make sense within the game world it makes me feel small and makes the world feel big, in a good way -- I think with a big old world map or area map I'd miss that feeling of wandering around and I'd lose some of the sense of surprise in how the game fits together.

Yeah, I haven't finished Bloodborne but I sort of disagree only from the perspective that it's incredibly dark and the art design makes a ton of poo poo blur together in frustrating ways. But on the other hand, it really contributes to the creeping horror of being lost and stumbling through an incredibly hostile place, and I found it much less annoying once I left werewolves behind and got into the cosmic horror stuff.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So, Death's Gambit is pretty fun but it could really, really, really have stood to have taken less from Dark Souls.

I let out an audible groan after being told to ring two bells and collect a soul vessel.

Edit: Oh thank god it was just a joke

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Renoistic posted:

Bloody Baron was such a miss for me.

:same:

I fell off Witcher 3 pretty hard for a variety of reasons, this being a big one. I still recognize the game as being a remarkable achievement and want to go back and play it again (probably in story mode as the combat was another reason), especially given the hype the DLC gets (and that sounds more like my kind of thing than the Bloody Baron).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

How is Axiom Verge? Is it hard as hell? With Dead Cells, Death's Gambit and in 2019 Blasphemous coming, I want to try something more sci-fi like metroid instead of all phantasy stuff.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Has anyone tried Phantom Doctrine on ps4? How does it run?

I don't think it's out yet. Later today, at least in Steam

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

WaltherFeng posted:

X-COM / Metal Gear / Turn based strategy game set in the 80s

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865558

It looks really cool but I'm wondering if it runs like X-Com 2 on PS4, which is not very well.

I forgot about this. I saw a trailer elsewhere and liked the look of it (mainly because it reminded me a lot of Silent Strike in terms of the general aesthetics and presentation). I didn't realise it was out so soon and the bits and pieces I'd seen of it recently I thought it was some kind of FMV adventure game for some reason. That reason being I wasn't paying much attention I guess. It hadn't clicked that this was [i[that[/i].

e: it also reminded me of Covert Action, which was one of my favourite games back in the day and I've been meaning to dust off my rose tinted nostalgia glasses and get it off GoG or something to see how well it holds up.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 14, 2018

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Gravy Jones posted:

:same:

I fell off Witcher 3 pretty hard for a variety of reasons, this being a big one. I still recognize the game as being a remarkable achievement and want to go back and play it again (probably in story mode as the combat was another reason), especially given the hype the DLC gets (and that sounds more like my kind of thing than the Bloody Baron).

I fell off W3 hard after 40 hours on PC and never finished it, but now I'm replaying it on PS4 on normal and almost every UI element on, and enjoying it a lot more.

When I first played I got a lot of tips to turn UI elements off for 'immersion'. Turns out the game does a really bad job of relaying really important information, such as 'is this random bandit worth fighting or is he 10 levels above me?' without those elements. Now I'm just playing it like any WRPG and it's better for it. I might raise the difficulty once I'm past my earlier stopping point though. The griffin went down humorously fast on normal.

It also helps that my expectations have been lowered. It's a good open world game, but it's still an open world game, with all that that entails.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 14, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Guillermus posted:

How is Axiom Verge? Is it hard as hell? With Dead Cells, Death's Gambit and in 2019 Blasphemous coming, I want to try something more sci-fi like metroid instead of all phantasy stuff.

it's literally metroid from what I can tell

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's literally metroid from what I can tell
It has a lot of stupid dialog and some abrasive music though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And terrible bosses and bad weapons

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fine, it's metroid fusion

also I'm enjoying the story stuff in mafia 3 a lot but people weren't kidding when they said it was repetitive. every optional mission is you delivering something to someone. thought lincoln was trying to take over the mob, not the ups

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm about an hour into Death's Gambit right now but it's a very pretty game and ba gawd this music.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Renoistic posted:

It also helps that my expectations have been lowered. It's a good open world game, but it's still an open world game, with all that that entails.

Same again. I actually like open world games, so don't mind that aspect of it, and yeah, it has some serious map-spam going on. Although one minor irritation that bothered me a lot more than it probably should have was that I had a lot of trouble distinguishing between icons on the map I had and hadn't visited because the change between the two states was really difficult to make out. I'm hoping that has been patched, I know they did a lot of QoL stuff, or the fact I've got a new TV in the interim helps with that.

I have it on digital just sitting there so might as well go start the download.

After that I'm even considering playing a Yakuza, something I never though I'd do, but I've been worn down by this thread :D

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I guess I'll end getting Axiom Verge when it drops around 7-8€ but may end getting Death's Gambit before.

Also if someone still don't know about Blasphemous, check it out. It looks drat great.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Death's gambit feels like poo poo to play, unfortunately. No feedback on taking damage, dodgy collision detection on platforms. Not having fun with this.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Samuringa posted:

God of War: I got an Emil! :neckbeard:

Also, the Witch was Freya!? That's one hell of a character to just be standing there minding her own business! She also snapped over the arrows and I kinda forgot what their deal was but it was probably something related to Odin but I figure the damage is already done

Funny bit about this, that whole reveal was actually spoiled in-game if you had subtitles on, as one of the earlier cutscenes with her initially labeled her as "Lady of The Woods" (or similar,) but left in a handful of lines labeling her as "Freyja" as you left her treehouse for the first time. Pretty sure they've since fixed that, or at least I hope they have!

HampHamp posted:

Death's gambit feels like poo poo to play, unfortunately. No feedback on taking damage, dodgy collision detection on platforms. Not having fun with this.

Oh, did that come out? My roommate was just telling me about that game. I watched a video last night of beta footage and was honestly pretty turned off by how liberal they were with the Dark Souls influences.

enojy fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 14, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I played the game like a week after it came out and never saw that on the subtitles

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Man watching evo has really got me back into fighting games. Loving dbz fighters just now despite how hard it is, used to love Tekken back in the day but Tekken 7 feels so technical and clunky.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Liver Disaster posted:

drat, I'll have to do some research.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah someone keep us updated cause I want one...

Shopto sold out instantly (button changed to buy and then went to sold out as soon as the page refreshed from me hitting it) and smyths toys website just crashed with one stuck in the cart for me for about half an hour.

Amazon and game listings never went up so maybe they're still potentially in play but I decided on a whim to check Curry's and they had them, so I've either got one or I'm going to get a very disappointing email in a couple of days. :f5:

They're already all over eBay for double retail, thanks scalpers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Bloody Baron is in my top 10 favorite video games quests. It blew my mind. I’m surprised to hear some of you didn’t like it but that’s alright. Different strokes for different blokes.

Samurai Sanders posted:

IT IS PERFECT

CrRoMa posted:

Man watching evo has really got me back into fighting games. Loving dbz fighters just now despite how hard it is, used to love Tekken back in the day but Tekken 7 feels so technical and clunky.

Same all around. I’m actually trying to get good for once. I was never a big Tekken guy but I’ve fallen for T7 hard after buying it over the weekend. What feels clunky to you? It’s probably the best feeling fighting game I’ve ever owned. It’s so satisfying that I’m compelled to push through the seemingly insurmountable battle of being even slightly decent at the lowest level of play.

screaden posted:

Downloaded the entire soundtrack only to discover this wasn't actually a part of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkAvQj3gMvw

EY BOOOOOOOY!

That’s a crime. I love that one :3: the touching/thoughtful one is my favorite though