Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

bump_fn posted:

what’s the best ios ad blocker and is firefox still the best browser on phone

best browser is safari with content blockers. I’m using Wipr for its simplicity. 1blocker x offers more customization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i still use purify

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
its good to have the 150mb limit because it slightly disincentivizes devs to put too many sensor tower/analytics packages in with their binary

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
do they work w all browsers or just safari

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

they work with anything that uses safariview, but most browsers use the older webview, i believe

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

honestly ios7 to me looks like they ran out of time, so many rough edges that pure unrestrained wankery would have fixed

borderless text buttons are still a bad idea though

they definitely ran out of time. that was the first 64 bit release, which was a huge amount of effort for everyone. and so naturally jony decides that all the UIs need to change at the same time, too. a lot of the new UI plans required way too much power (frosted glass effect is computationally intensive) and had to be walked back for performance reasons.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/1028384425950826496

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

that grimace

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
on the one hand, everybody knows that pr photos with trump look bad now and are only going to look worse in a few years

on the other hand, trump’s entire tariff system is designed solely to make corporations come bend the knee or else get turbo-hosed

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

bump_fn posted:

>>>>>>> 1BlockerX <<<<<<<
it has a clever way to get around the restriction for number of content blocker rules (a whole list to tick off) and so has the most of any iOS adblocker, and has stuff like element picker to add rules on the fly so it is the best. it only works on Safari but (the browser) is better for battery life and features like interoperability with desktop safari (tab access etc) are p dece

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 14, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i thought iOS Firefox was some gimped poo poo. it is certainly not the best on iPhone, just use safari imo imo

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

bump_fn posted:

i use wipr and safari and an app called PIPifier on my ipad to force idiot youtube to play picture in picture

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Adblock: Firefox focus
browser: safari

hth

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Kobayashi posted:

Photoshop is canceled. It’s all Sketch now, and its complete lack of bitmap editing.

word

qirex posted:

apple has never wanted to support the use case of multiple people using a remote library or even one person using a library stored on a network, to the point that they built itunes match from scratch to avoid doing it

iTunes Home Sharing has been a thing forever. It’s been in iTunes for as long as I can remember and in everything since. I used to use it all the time when I wasn’t a lonely hobo.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

150mb store restriction is the dumbest loving thing ever. i have unlimited data plan on my 4g connection, let me use it

When the developer puts their app on the store, it will warn them if it’s too large to download on cellular. They can then use on-demand resources to make it much smaller. But seeing as iMovie is 700MB, and they want iPad Pros to be the new personal computer, yeah it should be higher.

rjmccall posted:

on the one hand, everybody knows that pr photos with trump look bad now and are only going to look worse in a few years

on the other hand, trump’s entire tariff system is designed solely to make corporations come bend the knee or else get turbo-hosed

Tim Cook is a Republican through and through. If it helps you sleep at night, you can make believe that he’s trying to push the GOP to the left. Or you can tell yourself that what he’s doing “is just the price of doing business in Ireland America”. But even if both those things are true, it says all I can say about capitalism; if you want to succeed in it you have to be a die-hard champion of exploitation. And you cannot “get rich and then do something good for the world”, you get rich by making the world worse and then you have a duty to shareholders to out-do your evil antics until you wither away from cancer and an even worse rear end in a top hat takes over. You don’t get to snub Trump because you’re the head of the most successful private company in history, it’s the opposite. You become this successful precisely by supporting, say, apartheid Israel or wall-building, Muslim-banning Trump.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Hi Apple thread.

Are Apple products still terrible but better than the alternatives in all relevant categories (phone, tablet, laptop, TV-top)?

If not, please provide best-of-breed alternative and justification for this.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, yes, no, yes (maybe)

buy a dell xps or lenovo x1, or face to dongleverse and keyboards that die if you look at them askance

chromecast works well, assuming you're not already balls deep in the appleverse

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lol at recommending or using a windows laptop or google product

apple stuff sucks but it sucks the least. there are no alternatives

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
what do people actually use apple tv or chromecast for? is it things like going to youtube/netflix/hulu/etc, or connecting to a local DLNA server, or connecting to some other local resource (e.g. casting from a chrome browser instance or an iphone) or something else

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

if you have the others you may as well get a laptop, it is a nicely integrated experience (or if you have interest in any sort of Apple development, unless you got an iMac or want to go through a bunch of hoops (hackintosh, VMs, etc)). it’s still the best desktop *nix. they’re not perfect but still good, just, don’t care too much

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

anthonypants posted:

what do people actually use apple tv or chromecast for? is it things like going to youtube/netflix/hulu/etc, or connecting to a local DLNA server, or connecting to some other local resource (e.g. casting from a chrome browser instance or an iphone) or something else

if you have media you can play from a device, it will play on your television

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

anthonypants posted:

We currently have a roku that we use for Amazon Prime and the 'Tubes. I guess we could stream to it from the NAS but I've never bothered getting that working.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
a lot of people use those tv boxes as an replacement for the not-so-smart "smart" parts of their smart tv - ie to present netflix and hbogo and any other streaming service app they subscribe to

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
unified search

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
We just have a lovely old 32" 720p dumb. Suits our needs?

My eyes are bad, I don't need to see pores on the actor's faces.

:shrug:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

i would generally say that my itunes experience was "okay" but with one huge exception that is named itunes match

all my music is on a NAS

i have found the cause of your problem

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i got like 2tb of music so it wont fit locally, i also have multiple devices that play that music so having it all just stop working when im not at home isnt really an option

its fine though because apple ruined itunes match anyways so i just bought a plex pass

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if you want to hear a song and you're not at home just look it up on apple music or spotify and stream it. no need to overcomplicate things.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

i got like 2tb of music so it wont fit locally, i also have multiple devices that play that music so having it all just stop working when im not at home isnt really an option

its fine though because apple ruined itunes match anyways so i just bought a plex pass

i understand that some people want to janitor files by hand, but they don't usually pay for a service that's designed to replace manual file janitoring. why did you decide to subscribe to itunes match?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

i use my apple tv for:
netflix
amazon prime video
itunes video
plex
apple music
espn (watching 2-3 football games at once owns)
directv now
youtube once in awhile
various other streaming apps
occasional airplay

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

anthonypants posted:

we have a 22 core xeon plex server with 24TB of storage at a friends house sitting on a google fiber connection and streaming movies and tv shows to my apple tv and all my friends apple tvs at their houses

also i use it to watch youtube fail videos and cat videos on a big screen

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yippee cahier posted:

i understand that some people want to janitor files by hand, but they don't usually pay for a service that's designed to replace manual file janitoring. why did you decide to subscribe to itunes match?

i dont janitor any files, i just put them on an off the shelf nas because my macbook doesnt have a 3tb ssd

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PleasureKevin posted:

Tim Cook is a Republican...

this is a dumbass take, kevin. no pleasure given

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

we have a 22 core xeon plex server with 24TB of storage at a friends house sitting on a google fiber connection and streaming movies and tv shows to my apple tv and all my friends apple tvs at their houses

also i use it to watch youtube fail videos and cat videos on a big screen
i bought a bunch of hardware to set up a media/nas cluster but then i moved and haven't been able to figure out a good place to get it set up :(

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I have a compute stick that runs iTunes with the library over an iscsi mount and streams it out from there. Good enough.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

FMguru posted:

a lot of people use those tv boxes as an replacement for the not-so-smart "smart" parts of their smart tv - ie to present netflix and hbogo and any other streaming service app they subscribe to

parents had a pretty good sarnsung smart tv that had an OS that’s not been supported for years and would probably get owned instantly if we tried to actually connect it to the internet so i bought them an ATV instead

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just unplugged my mouse from my macbook "pro" so that I can charge it while sorting out some photos

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

pointsofdata posted:

Just unplugged my mouse from my macbook "pro" so that I can charge it while sorting out some photos

Ok, please keep up updated both as to how the sorting and the battery charging is going!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

why does your mouse have a cable