Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think that 95% of what people like in MGSO is MGE-XE. Just install MGE-XE and forget about MGSO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Happy 7th birthday thread :toot:

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Rookersh posted:

For thread regulars, MGSO is bad because why not just do the mod dance, we do it, it's easy.

No, it's because it's broken and ugly. Even with a computer that's better than top of the line when MGSO came out, installing it makes most people crash because it's full of buggy, unoptimized poo poo that even patching won't fix.

By the time you've solved all MGSO's problems, you'll have done the full mod dance anyway, so why build something good on top of poo poo when you can just remove the poo poo from the equation

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

I think that 95% of what people like in MGSO is MGE-XE. Just install MGE-XE and forget about MGSO.

^^^^^^
It doesnt even include the newest mgexe or mcp so whats even the point

Mgexe
Mcp
Patch for purists
Better bodies better heads if youre a stickler

Press play enjoy

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Even Better Bodies/Better Heads is deprecated at this point, Races Redone is the gold standard currently

But yeah a lot of what's included in mgso is ugly and also doesn't it include those "improved" meshes that like quadruple the poly count of bowls and cups and poo poo.

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 13, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Entropy238 posted:

The version of the Lord's Mail found in MGSO is probably the ugliest armour I've ever seen in a computer game.

Well poo poo, now I want to see a screenshot.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Original left, MGSO right. It's loving hideous.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Link at the top of the thread.

EFB

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I mean, it just blends right in!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That's hilarious.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Stuporstar posted:

No, it's because it's broken and ugly. Even with a computer that's better than top of the line when MGSO came out, installing it makes most people crash because it's full of buggy, unoptimized poo poo that even patching won't fix.

By the time you've solved all MGSO's problems, you'll have done the full mod dance anyway, so why build something good on top of poo poo when you can just remove the poo poo from the equation

It also has a bafflingly terrible installer. It takes control of the cursor to click things so that everything proceeds correctly.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Farrier Theaks posted:

Happy 7th birthday thread :toot:

drat I love Morrowind

also shoutout to my dad who introduced me to this game when I was younger

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Noghtvlade best classic

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Vavrek posted:

It also has a bafflingly terrible installer. It takes control of the cursor to click things so that everything proceeds correctly.

In the installers defense, it pretty much had to do it this way due to how lovely the EXE optimizer (also not really needed anymore) works.

Still, just look at the Lord's mail to know you don't want that poo poo.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mgso has always been absofuckinglutely godshitting awful. it bewilders me that anyone ever thought it was even remotely approaching not-terrible. i think i lasted like an hour before telling that horrible hodgepodge of mismatched textures and terrible sound effects that were a billion times louder than anything in the base game to go gently caress itself forever.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
It sounds like MGSO is perfect if you're a Fargoth-tier Morrowind player.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

there are lots and lots of ways to get a more enjoyable morrowind experience than you'd get by inatalling mgso. for example you could play it vanilla without any of the expansions. or you could play it on an original xbox with a dying dvd drive that takes 20 minutes to load the main menu. or you could snap the disc in half and use the sharp edges to slit your wrists. or you could play two worlds.

e: oh god i just remembered that stupid fuckin soundclip from mgso that plays when you're near any sort of store or bar or whatever that just sounds like some really fat gruff guy muttering nonsense and that fuckin soundclip plays every 10 goddamn seconds when you are in any town and it also plays when you are in any bar and it's so fuckin obnoxious holy poo poo mgso sucks so goddamn bad

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 14, 2018

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

or you could play two worlds.

:vince:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Node posted:

It sounds like MGSO is perfect if you're a Fargoth-tier Morrowind player.

don't sound very god-tier to me imo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

better mods than mgso:

-anything from lovers lab
-racer recursion
-that terrible skyrim open cities mod that put those oblivion gates in every city
-that mod my friend made that took jiub's 'what's your name' line and spliced in the first line of the 'what's your name' song from san francisco rush and then played the entire song before you could enter your name

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

will mod organizer 2 work with morrowind?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fuligin posted:

will mod organizer 2 work with morrowind?

Yes

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

-that mod my friend made that took jiub's 'what's your name' line and spliced in the first line of the 'what's your name' song from san francisco rush and then played the entire song before you could enter your name
You can't just mention this and not hook us up

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

better mods than mgso:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Big Word posted:

You can't just mention this and not hook us up

this was like a decade and a half and several computers ago, it's long lost to the aether. i could remake it though.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

there are lots and lots of ways to get a more enjoyable morrowind experience than you'd get by inatalling mgso. for example you could play it vanilla without any of the expansions. or you could play it on an original xbox with a dying dvd drive that takes 20 minutes to load the main menu.

I actually played through Morrowind on an original XBox, in this decade. Before I got a new PC, I didn't have a computer at all, so if I wanted to play games it was console or nothing. Anyhow, I figured out why Morrowind for Xbox has that massive initial loadtime: It's installing the game. Every time you start it.

The original Xbox didn't have support for installing games to the hard drive, but it did have support for temporary caching on the hard drive. So morrowind got completely reinstalled off the disc every time you started it up!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Nice. Just reinstalled and got myself all hooked up with the new Ebonheart release. It loving owns, you guys keep hitting it out of the park

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:five:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

My favorite thing about Morrowind modding is installing the fully nude version of the Better Bodies and that mod that makes caves super dark/dependent on dynamic light sources. Then I go spelunking in pitch-black caverns and fight nude cultists with their clubs and dangling participles--with nothing but dim red candles to light my way. There are few things as evocative as creeping around black nothingness and suddenly being set upon by naked dark elves, dicks and all.

I would never give up these things.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
MGSO hate notwithstanding, I think there definitely is a market opening for something to make installing all the utilities and mods for Morrowind much easier for beginners.

Fingers-crossed that OpenMW negates the need for all of the third party utilities in the first place.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Entropy238 posted:

MGSO hate notwithstanding, I think there definitely is a market opening for something to make installing all the utilities and mods for Morrowind much easier for beginners.

Fingers-crossed that OpenMW negates the need for all of the third party utilities in the first place.

There's the pastebin guide and the website guide for Morrowind graphic overhauls, the end result is pretty good and faithful to the original graphical style.

I don't have links for them anymore but I'm sure somebody in the thread will.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I’d appreciate that, I just started an OpenMW playthrough and it could really stand to be prettier, not gonna lie.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

raminasi posted:

I’d appreciate that, I just started an OpenMW playthrough and it could really stand to be prettier, not gonna lie.

If you want pretty, openmw isnt where you want to start lol

Openmw is for multiplayer and insane fps outside of weird circumstances, mgexe and mcp vanilla is for graphics, compatibility, and mwse lua

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

raminasi posted:

Right so there's this (the updated pastebin guide) and the website guide (S.T.E.P.). They are both modular and have a bunch of accompanying screenshots around

e: updated link to the pastebin one; there's a reddit guide to changes you need to make STEP compatible with OpenMW too, but I never tried it

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 14, 2018

The Doormat
Dec 20, 2010

:dukedog:
There was a period where MSGO was pretty alright for newcomers, but it was quickly outdated and had a ton of issues even before then. Updated models had collisions when they shouldn't have, textures were mismatched, some of the included mods were compatibility nightmares, etc. Funnily enough, I think that it did manage to attract a good amount of new players.. and motivate them to start modding, or for veterans to come out of retirement. I remember there being a resurgence of graphics mods after MSGO, so I feel like it sort of kick-started its own obsolescence.

The pastebin guide Private Speech linked is what I use (edited to taste) and it looks phenomenal, and it's fairly easy to follow it. It's also been outdated by a number of very recent mods, however.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

recent mods on a 17 year old game :allears: I love this game.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My favorite thing about Morrowind modding is installing the fully nude version of the Better Bodies and that mod that makes caves super dark/dependent on dynamic light sources. Then I go spelunking in pitch-black caverns and fight nude cultists with their clubs and dangling participles--with nothing but dim red candles to light my way. There are few things as evocative as creeping around black nothingness and suddenly being set upon by naked dark elves, dicks and all.

I would never give up these things.

i thought i installed the one where everyone has underwear, and indeed everyone does have underwear, but the male character models all have a big ol' dick jutting out of the loincloth. it's loving hilarious

Entropy238 posted:

issue is to make something like this happen and not instantly banned of all popular modsites you pretty much have to obtain the express permission of every modder whose work you're including which in a lot of instances isn't really feasible. then again if it's not a mega ultra pack it's probably doable

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 16, 2018

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I recall the MGSO guys were trying to or at least wanted to make another pack centered around gameplay. I can only imagine how it would break the game.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Could it really be worse than Rebirth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dreamsicle posted:

I recall the MGSO guys were trying to or at least wanted to make another pack centered around gameplay. I can only imagine how it would break the game.

lmao @ anyone trying to "address" morrowind's gameplay.

the bustedness of the gameplay would never work in any other game but it fits morrowind perfectly and i wouldn't want it any other way.