Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

When it's sleek instead of "hey, let's have this old brick chimney in the middle of everything" it bothers me less, but the fact that the fireplace is off-center in the column really irritates me somehow.

It bothers me more (though the other one was crap) because at that point you might as well have a lenticular poster of a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I dig the brick fireplace, just from a historic perspective and a little way to add some divide. I don't like any of the furniture with it though.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I think like there's something to embracing it as decoration rather than structure or utility. The isolated chimney-columns come across as a half-measure to me. Still not my cup of tea, though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Dave posted:

I dig the brick fireplace, just from a historic perspective and a little way to add some divide. I don't like any of the furniture with it though.

It made it too obvious that they'd cut the usable square footage of the house in half to get an open plan by chopping off the second floor.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
That second floor would have been tiny and cramped, used just for bullshit storage. Good move getting rid of it.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Even converting half that second floor into an open loft could have created a much more usable space while keeping an airier feel than a ‘true’ second story. Could be a really nice office/studio area.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

PRADA SLUT posted:

That second floor would have been tiny and cramped, used just for bullshit storage. Good move getting rid of it.

Agreed. Unless they, like, killed all of the available storage space in the house. I hate poorly implemented, shoehorned open-concept renovations as much as the next goon but not every old building with tiny rooms is an example of ancient wisdom that must be lovingly preserved as-is.

Also I like beams.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also I like beams.

I had to hide all mine because of fire regulations :(

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I saw an old duplex that someone converted back into a sfh but did a half assed job. They turned the attic into a second floor with a little spiral staircase going up to it but the second floor was so close to the high pitched roof you could maybe stand up in the center of it, but nowhere else. I mean it would be great for storage or if you wanted the tiny home feeling when you literally crawl into bed, but otherwise I don't see the point. Not to mention the roof is now so poorly insulated. I hope whoever bought it isn't broke from paying their electric bill after the last couple weeks of 100+ temps :lol:

The location was obscenely good though.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

PRADA SLUT posted:

That second floor would have been larger than the second floor of my parent's home, which was not used for bullshit storage -- it had two bedrooms and a bathroom, housing all four of us until we put an addition on the home.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

Even converting half that second floor into an open loft could have created a much more usable space while keeping an airier feel than a ‘true’ second story. Could be a really nice office/studio area.

So looking at the picture again, they did put in a half-loft. I’m saying “they put in” a loft because I assume it was a new addition and not something held over from exposing the beams. It’s lower than those beams and looks much more useable.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That second floor would have been larger than the second floor of my parent's home, which was not used for bullshit storage -- it had two bedrooms and a bathroom, housing all four of us until we put an addition on the home.

Really? Look at the amount of vertical space between the beams and the slanted ceiling.

The most that could’ve been up there is an attic or maybe a single awkward-rear end room.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

tetrapyloctomy posted:

did they also hide your letters from Hogwarts

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The most that could’ve been up there is an attic.

The narrowing of the chimney breast is a dead giveaway.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

there wolf posted:

I'm not one of those people who hate open concept, but this trend of scrawny fireplace columns in the middle of the room is pushing me in that direction.

Here,have more views of the property.
https://www.harrynorman.com/real-estate/167-powell-street-se-atlanta-ga-30316/6050440/57519189

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Really? Look at the amount of vertical space between the beams and the slanted ceiling.

The most that could’ve been up there is an attic or maybe a single awkward-rear end room.
Absolutely. On the area of that layout with the loft, you can see how wide the floor would be once you put in knee-walls, and it looks about right. My parents had a queen-sized bed with maybe four feet clearance on either side (on the floor, not four feet on a side with adult-sized headroom). That gives you a thirteen foot wide floor. The house was just about as wide as the space fro the back of the couch in this picture to maybe a few feet past the edge of the next wall facing the camera. It was a small loving house. In all fairness, the bathroom was in a dormer on the back, so that wouldn't fit in this plan.

But the point stands: people have done a lot more with a lot less space. My dad's house growing up was 1.5 stories and maybe 24' by 30'. There were three bedrooms on the second floor: One for the parents, one for the girls, and one for the boys. There were four girls and six boys.

Note: I'm not knocking a desire for open space, and a lot of it, as inherently bad or anything. My house has me, my wife, my kid, a dog, and four cats, and while it is positively huge compared to my house growing up, I could still easily find a way to fill more space and use all of it regularly. But

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

In their misguided attempt to make the house have an "open floor plan" with a "modern rustic-meets-industrial" sort of look, all they've managed to do is make the place look unfinished.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I am going to eat poo poo here: I was going off the interior shot, and got snagged by the wide-angle lens they had to have used to make it look that wide on the inside. Y'all are right. Not going to edit my prior stuff, I fully accept being really loving wrong on the dimensions.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

In their misguided attempt to make the house have an "open floor plan" with a "modern rustic-meets-industrial" sort of look, all they've managed to do is make the place look unfinished.

Yeah, plus it looks insanely cold to live in. Imagine how drafty everything is.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Check out this spacious second floor!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...endtofriend-hdp

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

vonnegutt posted:

Yeah, plus it looks insanely cold to live in. Imagine how drafty everything is.

It's in Georgia. Probably not an issue.

Our old stone colonial is drafty in the weirdest loving way: the wall cavities are uninsulated, so they end up being between the temperature of the inner walls and the outer walls. There's a hole behind the dishwasher, so loving cold air rolls out of there like you wouldn't believe.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Its that HGTV's greatest hits album?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

That is one fugly interior. It's like almost every aesthetically ugly trend is embodied here, all they lack is barn doors and writing everywhere.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Who wants to see what a 49 million dollar US home looks like?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.86b9755da217

quote:

Among the elaborate touches in the 23,000 square-foot home are an exercise studio, indoor and outdoor pools and a lighted tennis court, in addition to nine bedrooms, 11 bathrooms and two half-baths, according to the listing. Beatrix Farrand, who designed the gardens at the White House and Dumbarton Oaks, created the landscaping, according to Curbed DC.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The Wright house in Los Feliz is for sale for 23 mil https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angel...tm_content=link

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

It made it too obvious that they'd cut the usable square footage of the house in half to get an open plan by chopping off the second floor.

There was never a second floor. The original ceiling would have been 10-12ft high with a short attic space above. Opening the attic made room for the lofted bedroom which in turn made room for a larger bath. Not a terrible idea in concept, but the execution was poor and anachronistic. I've seen some renovations that blended modern style with the old features of a house well, but that's not it.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

I saw an old duplex that someone converted back into a sfh but did a half assed job. They turned the attic into a second floor with a little spiral staircase going up to it but the second floor was so close to the high pitched roof you could maybe stand up in the center of it, but nowhere else. I mean it would be great for storage or if you wanted the tiny home feeling when you literally crawl into bed, but otherwise I don't see the point. Not to mention the roof is now so poorly insulated. I hope whoever bought it isn't broke from paying their electric bill after the last couple weeks of 100+ temps :lol:

The location was obscenely good though.

I know a guy who lives in a 3rd-floor apartment with a roof like that. You get up there by an exterior staircase and the entrance is offset from the roof centerline so the front door has about 1/4 of it cut off at an angle. The layout is super weird even beyond that: the living room, bedrooms, and bathroom are all in the weird attic space, and then you go down a flight of stairs which ends in the middle of the kitchen.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lol. It's a shotgun shack, so there are no other rooms, just that enormous echoy space that's going to be impossibly expensive to cool, and a lofted bed platform up where it'll be hottest.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Liquid Communism posted:

Lol. It's a shotgun shack, so there are no other rooms, just that enormous echoy space that's going to be impossibly expensive to cool, and a lofted bed platform up where it'll be hottest.

Yeah. The loft apartment vibe is bad, but since it is a shotgun shack there weren't a lot of options anyway, though the space likely isn't as enormous and echoy as it looks since real estate photos always try to make everything look bigger. 1100 feet should be pretty easy to cool with modern AC, but by the looks of that place there is no insulation so it's going to cost a fortune to keep that dumb loft cool.

The original design probably had the livingroom by the front door and the kitchen by the back door with the bedroom in the middle, which is just odd to modern buyers.

Strange.

I'm not sure there is a good way to update those single shotgun shacks, and if you tear them down the lot is too small to build something new with the setbacks required by modern code.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
This is not my beautiful house! This is not my beautiful wife!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah. The loft apartment vibe is bad, but since it is a shotgun shack there weren't a lot of options anyway, though the space likely isn't as enormous and echoy as it looks since real estate photos always try to make everything look bigger. 1100 feet should be pretty easy to cool with modern AC, but by the looks of that place there is no insulation so it's going to cost a fortune to keep that dumb loft cool.

The original design probably had the livingroom by the front door and the kitchen by the back door with the bedroom in the middle, which is just odd to modern buyers.

Strange.

I'm not sure there is a good way to update those single shotgun shacks, and if you tear them down the lot is too small to build something new with the setbacks required by modern code.

I live in one of these. My bedroom is in the front room, combined kitchen and dining in the center with bathroom and w/d hookups to the side and living room to the back. It's also a bit longer.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

A MIRACLE posted:

The Wright house in Los Feliz is for sale for 23 mil https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angel...tm_content=link

This is absolutely spectacular. Weren't portions of Westworld filmed here? Or is that the Millard house?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Strange.

Eh, not too hard. Swap the bedroom and the kitchen/bath, so you have a galley kitchen with a bath to one side that acts as a hall between the living room and bedroom. Bedroom's at the back of the house where it's furthest from street noise. Win. Stick a stackable W/D in a closet in the bedroom using the old wet wall from the bathroom.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This is absolutely spectacular. Weren't portions of Westworld filmed here? Or is that the Millard house?

I don’t know but my friend asked the same thing so maybe? I ride by it every day on my bike home from work. I like the kitchen

e: If you’re their neighbor then you get that pattern as a retaining wall too, it extends pretty far off the property

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 14, 2018

Gabriel-Ernest
Jun 3, 2011

Such dreadful things should not be said even in fun.
What do you call a house area that's not conventionally "hall"-shaped (i.e. long and thin), but pretty much functions as a hallway? Is there a special name for it? In the middle of my apartment there's a little squarish area that has six doorways all around it, parallel to each other, like so:

I just finished painting it yesterday, and when I was trying to tell someone what I'd done, I couldn't figure out the word for the area I was discussing. I think of it as "the pass-through," but that's vague and didn't sound right.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Foyer? Your diagram isn't really an entry area, but it's the closest thing I can think of.

Or just call it a hallway and accept being slightly inaccurate for the sake of not confusing people.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If it has a skylight or pleasant atmosphere, call it the atrium.

If it's none of those things, corridor or fungeon.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Just remember that the hall is not a possible murder location, but players will pass through often in order to look for clues in other rooms.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That is a Hazard Room and has a 25% chance of rolling Wandering Monsters and a 10% chance of rats or bats

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I believe the term is "dead space" as in wasted sq footage you can't do poo poo with.

If it was at the top of stairs it would be the landing. Older homes also had hallway telephone/seating areas. Bedroom foyer would also work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Common room, reception room, or parlour?