Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheSickeningTruth posted:

I've never claimed it harms me, nor that it hurts the social fabric. I'm not sure why everyone is acting like I'm on an anti-trans crusade or something. All I've said is that even is some male claims to be a she, he'll still have his xy chromosomes and everyone is behaving as if I said trans people should be put in concentration camps. People tell me to get hosed, to go die, but I'm the bad one. Whatever, I don't think what we're posting here has any impact on the lifes of trans people anyway.
Thank you for the link, that was an interesting read, but it doesn't contradict my point of view. And I'm open to reconsider my stance but I think you didn't really understand what this stance is, thus the tribal crusade that would make citizens proud.

Because that is THE ultra no no subject here. In no way, shape, or form is anyone ever allowed to voice anything other than complete and total support and positiveness about the trans community that totally don't want equal rights but rather special protections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

It actually does.

In your real life, in refusing to use someone's preferred pronoun and treat them as the gender by which the identify you cause them a lot of mental anguish, and if you do it to someone who passes well in the presence of folks who only knew them post-transition you are literally outing them and could get them beaten up or, in extreme cases, killed. This is not a joke and is an actual risk trans people face.

Posting here about how Cool and Good such behavior is will make trans people who are reading this thread upset, worried about encountering more people like you in the real world, and could make those who experience gender dysphoria but have not yet done anything about it more likely to be scared of transitioning.

Please, if I can't change your mind about your beliefs then fine, I think you are wrong but I very much doubt there's anything I can type in an internet thread to change your mind. But please please PLEASE use people's preferred pronoun and don't deliberately out them in real life. If you have to think of it as playing along with a silly belief you don't share out of politeness, like an atheist playing along in church and not screaming "THERE IS NO GOD!" and refusing to pretend to pray at a funeral.

I know a LOT of trans people, many of whom are years post-transition and pass very well, one of the biggest fears they have in day to day life is some random person from their past coming along and outing them in public. I've seen it happen and even with a well meaning acquaintance just putting their foot in their mouth and apologising it causes no end of hurt and upset, some smug arse rolling their eyes and deliberately using their past gender is not a harmless action, as I said at best it will upset them and at worst could endanger their physical safety.

These are all good points, and I have changed my stance in this regard over the past several years. I admit that I struggle with the notion of 'preferred pronouns' when it comes to things like xe/xir - but I have yet to encounter this situation in my life.

I would say that a little more understanding that mistakes happen would be in order, and accepting the apologies offered by the well-meaning friends would be healthy all-around.

Of course, there are people who use this sort of thing to generate drama and gain some sort of perceived advantage. An example: Not exactly a gender issue, but some years ago, my wife had a student with a unique name. Wasn't hard to pronounce once it was learned, but about every two weeks, the parent would decide that it needed to be pronounced a different way. Of course, she didn't bother to tell anyone about her decision, she would just get huffy and start flinging accusations of racial bias and ill-intent. After a few cycles through the possible permutations of the name, it became clear that she was just addicted to the drama associated with being a victim and ultimately made it more difficult for other kids with hard-to pronounce names, because many preschool teachers aren't willing to put in the effort if all they are going to get is drama in return.

I called Starloop "she" because I have always assumed it was a Sandi sockpuppet account - the language and perspective seemed to line up really well with what I have seen of her personality. It had nothing to do with weenie-tucking.

Star Citizen is still bad.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DapperDon posted:

Because that is THE ultra no no subject here. In no way, shape, or form is anyone ever allowed to voice anything other than complete and total support and positiveness about the trans community that totally don't want equal rights but rather special protections.

gently caress off, this is about respecting someone's chosen gender.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Hav posted:

People are generally awful and thoughtless, and a small kindness, just accepting someone as they want to be, is literally the lowest bar to having a society that functions.

This is about the most profound thing you could say on the matter. You may not agree with someone's worldview on things, but it costs you nothing to be a decent person. Now I would like to point out that being decent and respectful of peoples wishes and not sharing in their belief system CAN occupy the same place.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

gently caress off, this is about respecting someone's chosen gender.

Ah, so now you're Captain Forum Freedomfighter. Got it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Golli posted:

I would say that a little more understanding that mistakes happen would be in order, and accepting the apologies offered by the well-meaning friends would be healthy all-around.

This was a bit of an odd situation, it was a vague acquaintance rather than a friend, it was a bit more than a casual slip up and the apology was also a bit excessively long winded, the whole thing was just aggravating and ended up just causing a bit of a tilt for the friend who it happened to. They did accept the apology with good grace, they just had to have a bit of a vent about it in private later, the person who made the mistake never knew any of that.

The vast majority of trans people are aware than mistakes occasionally happen and are fine as long as people make the effort

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

:yikes:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Using someone chosen gender pronouns might be doable in english (and i'm all for it if it make someone feel better, unless they insist on using something without literary roots, i.e :Zie, Sie, Hir, Vis and other aberrant ideas. I like humanity in all colors of the rainbow but i'm not re-learning english to suit you.), but when you try to do it in language with grammatical gender it quickly turn complex sentences into a complete mess, without clear rules for verb ending and superlative accord.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Come on CIG, I know you can screw up something today so we have something to talk about.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Oh dear God you guys, this derail really needs to end. Whatever your opinions are on trans people, preferred pronouns, etc. this is absolutely not the place to discuss it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

TheSickeningTruth posted:

I've never claimed it harms me, nor that it hurts the social fabric. I'm not sure why everyone is acting like I'm on an anti-trans crusade or something. All I've said is that even is some male claims to be a she, he'll still have his xy chromosomes and everyone is behaving as if I said trans people should be put in concentration camps. People tell me to get hosed, to go die, but I'm the bad one. Whatever, I don't think what we're posting here has any impact on the lifes of trans people anyway.
Thank you for the link, that was an interesting read, but it doesn't contradict my point of view. And I'm open to reconsider my stance but I think you didn't really understand what this stance is, thus the tribal crusade that would make citizens proud.

Besides the fact that X and Y chromosomes don't necessarily mean male...

Why do you even care?

Seriously I just look at this thread to see what stupid poo poo CIG has done lately.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 14, 2018

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think star citizen is a bad game, who is with me you guys?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

I think Star Citizen was cancelled when Chris Roberts absolved himself of responsibility for its development.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Excuse me? Would it kill you to use Star Citizens chosen pronoun?

Calling it "Scam" literally takes no energy on your part and referring to Scam as "Game" is very offensive to the posters ITT who have spent years working on Scam's true identity.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

So, no sign of santaball in the roadmap then?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Who among the main cast at CIG et al, is most likely to turn state's evidence?

I vote Sandi - provided they agree that she can play herself in the film adaptation.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Golli posted:

Who among the main cast at CIG et al, is most likely to turn state's evidence?

I vote Sandi - provided they agree that she can play herself in the film adaptation.
Ortwin.

He's probably already planned for that contingency. Chris and Sandi don't plan further than the nearest smooth flat surface.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Star Citizen Release Incentive: 0 Results Found

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Vertisce, posting about star citizen is the game, we are just playing the free 2 play version.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lack of Gravitas posted:

speaking of, we haven't seen any pics of our doggo moderator in a while :kayak:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
RIP Starloop

https://www.reddit.com/user/starloop

You crazy bastard, I hope you are OK

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh dear God you guys, this derail really needs to end. Whatever your opinions are on trans people, preferred pronouns, etc. this is absolutely not the place to discuss it.

Yeah, but look at all the lurkers. It's like Derek popped back in to say he and Chris had buried the hatchet.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

RIP Starloop

Man, what the hell did user/xb0r3dx even say to them??

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

peter gabriel posted:

RIP Starloop

Also, get help.

So I guess Sandi is just using the Boo Huxley account, then?

Dogeh fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 15, 2018

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dongsturm posted:

What can change the nature of a man?

Whatever you believe.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Agony Aunt posted:

Whatever you believe.

I believe in a thing called love

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dogeh posted:

Also, get help.

So I guess Sandi is just using the Boo Huxley account, then?

That's been the prevailing theory for a long time, I think. I'm not sure what it was that convinced people, but people have been calling "Boo" Sandi for years. Personally I don't think Sandi actually gives enough of a poo poo about anything to do with Star Citizen to do more than show up for their weekly video rundown things.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Colostomy Bag posted:

Come on CIG, I know you can screw up something today so we have something to talk about.

And on the 70th month since Kickstarter, Chris rested...

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
CIG is the biggest game development train wreck in history, by an enormous margin. There's practically no mistake they haven't made - we almost need to create a new word for the level of failure and ineptitude embodied by their Chairman. All that is true, and it still can't keep the interest of the denizens of a thread dedicated to it.

We're drama content locusts.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
As always, if you're having suicidal thoughts don't suffer in silence : https://www.samaritans.org/

And if you're having thoughts about pledging for gently caress sake get help.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

That's been the prevailing theory for a long time, I think. I'm not sure what it was that convinced people, but people have been calling "Boo" Sandi for years. Personally I don't think Sandi actually gives enough of a poo poo about anything to do with Star Citizen to do more than show up for their weekly video rundown things.

The idea that Sandi logs into redit at all is laughable in the extreme

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

There is just no way I'm buying the idea of Sandi doing literally anything other than whatever gets her face in front of a camera lens. The Beer emails are a sample of her direct involvement in a conversation with a high-profile backer, but that was for her own ego. No way in hell is she going to create forum accounts in different places and post about something she doesn't care about or understand on any level beyond how it gives her free, unearned money.

It makes far more sense that she found a peon with her same attitude and set them loose. Some kind of drama queen social media warrior. They're paid to lie and be assholes. I can get behind the idea that Sandi is behind all their forum astroturfing because only toxic people are out there. You won't find polite, well-behaved "backers" trying to catch flies with honey rather than vinegar because being caustic and cruel is all Sandi knows.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

As always, if you're having suicidal thoughts don't suffer in silence : https://www.samaritans.org/

And if you're having thoughts about pledging for gently caress sake get help.

I read that as "smartians" and realized I've been in this thread too long.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Yeah bro huxley is just some super fan, take off the foil hat.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Beet Wagon posted:

. Personally I don't think Sandi actually gives enough of a poo poo about anything to do with Star Citizen to do more than show up for their weekly video rundown things.

I think you've nailed it.
She doesn't ooze empathy.

Kinda shows, though, that goons are more concerned about a troubled Citizen than the SC community are.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Remember, old boo has been banned before on the official forums.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Scruffpuff posted:

I read that as "smartians" and realized I've been in this thread too long.
It's just a derek smart soundboard on the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Didn't Boo eat a ban for using the word "tickle" ?