Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Moose-Alini posted:

The difference between ‘fine dining’ and ‘jury duty was fine’

Actually I think you’ll find that the obligation of the citizen to act as the final defense against the otherwise-unchecked punitive/carceral state is both cool and good, hth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Damnit your right

“Hello, GW? I wanna order all the finecasts”

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Finecast is a Three Stooges podcast.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Schadenboner posted:

Space Balls is not a good movie. It was a fun movie if you watched it before the age of 15 or so, and you will probably therefore remember it as a “good movie” but it is not.

Literally do yourself a favor and don’t rewatch it.

Where was this post Friday night?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Finecast is a Three Stooges podcast.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Wolfsbane posted:

I've been digging through old boxes and pulling out stuff I painted 25 years ago, so I should have some content for the thread soon. In the meantime

Who wants to pay £28 for the world's shittiest recast?

please post this every time someone says finecasts was okay tia

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Moola posted:

please post this every time someone says finecasts was okay tia

I don't think I have ever seen someone say this

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The worst part about Finecast was that the material was so brittle, they had to add in supports to the sculpt to survive the casting process or transport. The detail on the models was also so low, you couldn't always tell if the random cube you were looking at was part of the original sculpt or added in to keep the model from snapping. Either way, you'd have to spend a lot of time going over the model with a knife in addition to any mold line cleaning you'd normally do cutting these supports out.

This image highlights what I'm talking about well.

Source: http://www.leagueofpainters.com/?p=1110

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Spaceballs is better than Finecast

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

StuG Jeebus posted:

That's a really low bar there bud

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

The worst part about Finecast was that the material was so brittle, they had to add in supports to the sculpt to survive the casting process or transport.

The worse part was after going through customer service to get a model that didn't look bent to poo poo, after cleaning the model by digging out chunks of the mold that got ripped out, after filling any bubbles, after assembly and priming and painting...

the loving thing would either break or bend on its weakest point within a week. Finecast zoanthropes where especially poo poo at this

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The worst was that Vampire Countess figure in Finecast. There was a terribly placed gate or vent which resulted in her having a goatee.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

StuG Jeebus posted:

Yes, I mean, let’s not get stupid here or anything.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Wolfsbane posted:

I've been digging through old boxes and pulling out stuff I painted 25 years ago, so I should have some content for the thread soon. In the meantime

Who wants to pay £28 for the world's shittiest recast?

I know it's late I still want to quote this and go "lmao finecast"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
So did they end up giving up on finecast? Is resin Forgeworld only now? I haven't been paying a whole lot of attention to new releases since I stopped playing 40k.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I recently got some Thousand Sons that were csm with upgrade kits to serve as filler guys for the fancier ones I built for Kill Team. Clued me in pretty quick on why hams freak out at the mention of 'resin' when looking at other game systems. The Finecast components were some really wretched stuff with easily a handful of bubbles on every piece and the stuff is bizzarely soft; little firmer than cured green stuff.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They still have some resin models I believe, but it is definitely being phased out. The only new resin models Citadel make are occasional limited edition items.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

OK, to make up for that here's some of my own work. My first GW game was hero quest, and I didn't buy any GW paints (I'm not sure they even existed in those days), but I had plenty of humbrol enamels and a can-do attitude.

I should have the rest of it around here somewhere.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
For humbrol enamels, those are pretty good, especially compared to the usual 'oh jesus christ no' stuff that makes hobbyists shudder in horror at those two little words.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
One of these days I really am going to paint up that bag of Hero Quest minis I found at a thrift store in the 90's

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Iron Crowned posted:

One of these days I really am going to paint up that bag of Hero Quest minis I found at a thrift store in the 90's

They are great minis :allears: I too painted my first minis using hero quest and enamel paints but i dont have any of the results left

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've got an unpainted Chaos Warrior from HeroQuest on my monitor at work. I dig it.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Saw this, thought of this thread

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I just found out HeroQuest was a GW thing. I loved it so much when I was a kid but only knew one person who would play with me. Never even occurred to me I was supposed to paint those minis.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wolfsbane posted:

OK, to make up for that here's some of my own work. My first GW game was hero quest, and I didn't buy any GW paints (I'm not sure they even existed in those days), but I had plenty of humbrol enamels and a can-do attitude.

I should have the rest of it around here somewhere.

These are proper old school, but it doesn't seem right without the bases painted Goblin Green

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

glitchkrieg posted:

Saw this, thought of this thread

It's hard to be sure, but did the illustrator combine the MG42 and the RPG Launcher into one weapon, Cable-style? That is outstanding if so, still better than Finecast if not.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

StuG Jeebus posted:

It's hard to be sure, but did the illustrator combine the MG42 and the RPG Launcher into one weapon, Cable-style? That is outstanding if so, still better than Finecast if not.

That was the case on the official promotional art for the real movie

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think it’s supposed to be an M-60 not an MG42?

...crossed with an RPG, because: obviously that’s just what you do.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Did we have rifle-and-rocket propelled grenades in the 80s?

:piss:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

moths posted:

Did we have rifle-and-rocket propelled grenades in the 80s?

:piss:

I mean, grenades fired from rifles were a thing in the world wars?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They were - I mean the rifle fires a grenade and then the rocket also propels it.

I don't know how to phrase that clearly.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Moose-Alini posted:

I just found out HeroQuest was a GW thing. I loved it so much when I was a kid but only knew one person who would play with me. Never even occurred to me I was supposed to paint those minis.

Same, but two friends. I still have it here, minis unpainted, along with the skelly and ogre expansions.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It's sort of remarkable that I've never heard anyone say anything good or even neutral about finecast. The stuff is just universally reviled. I don't know why GW has such trouble with resin, resin I've bought from other manufacturers is generally good to great. Cleaning off mold release sucks though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

NTRabbit posted:

Same, but two friends. I still have it here, minis unpainted, along with the skelly and ogre expansions.

My dad won't let me take it for some reason, bastard won't ever play it again, but he's got the game plus the skeleton expansion. I keep meaning to go and commandeer it while he's at work one day but realistically I'll never play it again and it probably didn't hold up as well as I want it to.

Edit: I've only got a handful of resin things as part of the Shadows of Brimstone stuff I've gathered and it's weird. Am I doing something wrong that normal glue just doesn't work well with it?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They probably wantedneeded something proprietary.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

My dad won't let me take it for some reason, bastard won't ever play it again, but he's got the game plus the skeleton expansion. I keep meaning to go and commandeer it while he's at work one day but realistically I'll never play it again and it probably didn't hold up as well as I want it to.

Edit: I've only got a handful of resin things as part of the Shadows of Brimstone stuff I've gathered and it's weird. Am I doing something wrong that normal glue just doesn't work well with it?

Probably a stupid question but you are cleaning the mold release off right? If you don't super glue pretty much won't work.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

NTRabbit posted:

If its still in good nick, you can get decent money for the expansions on ebay. Source: My brother found a mint condition boxed copy of the ogre expansion in a charity shop for £3 about a month ago. Miniatures all on sprues and everything. Jammy bastard.

Len posted:

I'll never play it again and it probably didn't hold up as well as I want it to.

It really doesnt hold up well at all sadly. By todays standards it is Not A Good Game. I think it probably was legitimately good for its time (standards were lower then), but for me at least it was really helped by the fact a) I was a dumb kid and b) it was the first game like that most of us had played at that point. I havent revisited space crusade since I was a kid, I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll have held up slightly better than Heroquest, but still not be a good game by modern standards.

From GWs point of view it absolutely helped hook me into the hobby. Sadly most of the minis from my copies of those games are long cannibalized for bitz. I had a bunch of chaos marines running round with snipped hero quest orc swords for bayonets and stuff like that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

Probably a stupid question but you are cleaning the mold release off right? If you don't super glue pretty much won't work.

No? I've never needed it for miniatures before and then I just was shipped resin and it's different and I don't like it.

Unless I've been assembling minis wrong for ten years? Because if so goddamn it Past Len for not learning this before now

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

SiKboy posted:

If its still in good nick, you can get decent money for the expansions on ebay. Source: My brother found a mint condition boxed copy of the ogre expansion in a charity shop for £3 about a month ago. Miniatures all on sprues and everything. Jammy bastard.

Got two boxes from 7 or so years back, the ogres and wizards sets. Still in shrink wrap.

I kind of wonder if someone really gave something like that to a charity store, and it's actually tat that they shrink-wrapped as some form of prank. I don't dare open them to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LashLightning posted:

Got two boxes from 7 or so years back, the ogres and wizards sets. Still in shrink wrap.

I kind of wonder if someone really gave something like that to a charity store, and it's actually tat that they shrink-wrapped as some form of prank. I don't dare open them to find out.

People throw away things they don't realize all the time. I got a complete unplayed copy of Axis and Allies for $3 at one point.

A Facebook group I'm in had someone find Twilight Imperium the other day.

I've got a copy of Myst on my desk with all it's packins + the guide I found for $1