Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Come to think of it, Metal Gear is cyberpunk as all gently caress.

It even manages pre-cyberpunk with the Big Boss games, kinda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It even manages pre-cyberpunk with the Big Boss games, kinda.

I'm not sure what's "pre" about MGS3 and so on, since they do everything they can to replicate the conditions of the games that follow them, time line-wise. Where did Cipher come from? Oh, it was Major Zero stealing the crown from the previous world-spanning technocratic conspiracy. The story of which includes everything from internationally staged wars, down to codec calls that imply you're being monitored closely at all times even deep in some godforsaken jungle. (I love that they bizarrely removed codecs from MGS5, but then replaced most of their function with a holographic PDA…and also added vaping.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

I'm not sure what's "pre" about MGS3 and so on, since they do everything they can to replicate the conditions of the games that follow them, time line-wise. Where did Cipher come from? Oh, it was Major Zero stealing the crown from the previous world-spanning technocratic conspiracy. The story of which includes everything from internationally staged wars, down to codec calls that imply you're being monitored closely at all times even deep in some godforsaken jungle. (I love that they bizarrely removed codecs from MGS5, but then replaced most of their function with a holographic PDA…and also added vaping.)

A lot of that comes from Peace Walker, which is basically the prototype for MGS5. Weirdly, a lot of things were limited because it was originally a PSP game (No humanoid bosses because they'd be too small to stand out on the small screen, bite-sized missions and multiplayer focus, etc) but I'm pretty sure that it only really blew up when it was ported to home consoles people actually owned. It also had the vaping. (back when they were called 'electronic cigarettes'. Funnily enough Otacon's dad had one because he couldn't smoke normally in server rooms)

Actually funny thing in Peace Walker is that they show off at least five different kinds of smoking, and have some focus on each. (Cigarettes, cigars, snuff, e-cigs, and I think lip pouch tobacco?)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Not every sci-fi dystopia is cyberpunk.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hel posted:

Not every sci-fi dystopia is cyberpunk.

I mean it's not really a stretch to say that the Metal Gear Solid series has a decent overlap with cyberpunk themes particularly in the later installments like 4 and Revengeance.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If Cyborg Ninjas brought back to life for nefarious purposes who fight against their programming for the sake of friends and honor in a world filled with weird tech and lorded over by corporate interests who push forever war isn't cyberpunk, what is?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

remusclaw posted:

If Cyborg Ninjas brought back to life for nefarious purposes who fight against their programming for the sake of friends and honor in a world filled with weird tech and lorded over by corporate interests who push forever war isn't cyberpunk, what is?

Like the plot of Metal Gear Solid Revengeance is all about a Senator who plans on jumpstarting the flagging war economy with a false flag terrorist attack on a US military base, meanwhile the PMC he's partnered up with is mass-producing child soldiers by kidnapping kids, extracting their brains, and putting them through virtual reality conditioning. You manage to save them from becoming soldiers but the best you can do for them at that point is to put them in prosthetic bodies and help set them up as a kind of cyborg temp service because nobody's interested in just charitably helping a bunch of brutally traumatized disembodied street urchins. In the end you kill the Senator in question but his plan still winds up working because America always wants an excuse to go to war with someone, and the main character has been disabused of the notion that he's more than a guy who really enjoys killing people and so he abandons his wife, child, and dog-shaped robot buddy to continue to wage a bloody one-man war against the PMC.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm looking for a novice-level rpg game, for 3 people. the goal is to focus on the role-playing/collaborative storytelling, supported by a bit of stats (enough to tickle the imagination but not enough to be intimidating), and not the combat encounter tactics part of certain rpgs. Does such a thing exist?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

double nine posted:

I'm looking for a novice-level rpg game, for 3 people. the goal is to focus on the role-playing/collaborative storytelling, supported by a bit of stats (enough to tickle the imagination but not enough to be intimidating), and not the combat encounter tactics part of certain rpgs. Does such a thing exist?

Sure, try a good PbtA game probably. Like Apocalypse World 2e or Monsterhearts 2e or something.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

double nine posted:

Ryuutama is also really good at all of those things.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

double nine posted:

Check out the Spark RPG, it's very stat light, the players and GM build the setting together (optionally, it includes three settings and there's an additional book that uses Spark called Sig which is basically Indie Storygame Planescape), and scenes are collectively negotiated.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

double nine posted:

I've been recently recommending Slasher Flick is a good introduction. It's light, has a distinct and recognizable theme, is made for one-offs, and player are rewarded for roleplaying to typecast. It's a good exercise is teaching people how to roleplay character flaws.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

double nine posted:

Three including GM or four total? Is the GM also a novice?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

double nine posted:

If you're looking for a classic fantasy adventure game that meets all that, I'd recommend Fellowship. I basically designed it to be collaborative and easy to get into for players new to traditional gaming.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Splicer posted:

Three including GM or four total? Is the GM also a novice?

it'd be me and two others. And while I've played a shitload of crpgs and watched a fair number of tabletop rpg sessions on the youtubes, I have NO experience. SO hence I want to get something that's a bit idiot-proof.

I'll be checking out the suggestions here, thanks all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I re-watched the Guy Richie Sherlock Holmes film today, and the opening scene got me thinking: has anyone ever tried a story with Holmes where at the end he uncovers that the plot/villain is Lovecraftian in nature? That seems like a cross-over that would have happened by now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

I re-watched the Guy Richie Sherlock Holmes film today, and the opening scene got me thinking: has anyone ever tried a story with Holmes where at the end he uncovers that the plot/villain is Lovecraftian in nature? That seems like a cross-over that would have happened by now.

Even discounting A Study in Emerald, which isn't exactly what you're asking for, I'm sure that the answer to this must be a yes even without checking because people have mashed up Lovecraft with everything by this point.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Speaking of which, thanks to everyone who reminded me of pokethulhu. I'm running a game next week.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's a collection someone put out a while ago called Shadows over Baker Street that's pretty much "What if Sherlock but also Lovecraft?" It has A Study in Emerald in the collection as well as a handful of others.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's a series of Sherlock Holmes video games by a studio called Frogwares, and one of the first few games in the series had Holmes investigating Cthulhu mythos stuff. Their upcoming game is also straight up just a CoC game.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 12, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
To get even dorkier, there's a licensed tie-in novel called The All-Consuming Fire that's Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Who investigate Eldritch horrors.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I spotted these at Barnes & Noble yesterday: https://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holmes-vs-Cthulhu-Dimensions/dp/1785652087

8one6
May 20, 2012

The usual answer to the question of "Has someone combined [nerd thing 1] with [nerd thing 2]?" is usually "Yes, and then they hot-glued useless brass gears to it."

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Like cyberpunk!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sherlock Holmes + Lovecraft is a pretty obvious combo. Alan Moore did Jeeves & Wooster + Cthulhu, that was a fun one.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zarick posted:

Like cyberpunk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyGAc-OLAiQ

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's a series of Sherlock Holmes video games by a studio called Frogwares, and one of the first few games in the series had Holmes investigating Cthulhu mythos stuff. Their upcoming game is also straight up just a CoC game.

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened

I played through it. It never goes full tilt into Mythos stuff, (I.e. you never encounter monsters) but it borrows heavily from the plot of Call of Cthulhu by sending you to New Orleans and the swamps to investigate a cult.

The most terrifying aspect of this game was Watson. He didn’t actually move during gameplay so he was programmed to perpetually respawn behind you in order to simulate following you around, but he wouldn’t respawn as long as he was in your field of view. You could walk backwards a great distance away with him in sight, then spin around and be face to face with him.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Bosushi! posted:

The most terrifying aspect of this game was Watson. He didn’t actually move during gameplay so he was programmed to perpetually respawn behind you in order to simulate following you around, but he wouldn’t respawn as long as he was in your field of view. You could walk backwards a great distance away with him in sight, then spin around and be face to face with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YlEPwOfmk

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U9Oyney1c4

Fantasy Flight really leaning into that unique printing thing huh, first keyforge now this.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U9Oyney1c4

Fantasy Flight really leaning into that unique printing thing huh, first keyforge now this.

Lootboxes but for entire boardgames sounds like a super lovely way to go about it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
At least that looks like a self-contained game with a gimmick kind of like a Legacy game. Keyforge is some horseshit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Deleter posted:

At least that looks like a self-contained game with a gimmick kind of like a Legacy game. Keyforge is some horseshit.
Me: "Huh, this looks neat. Probably not great for replayability but I could see picking up a copy as a 60 loving DOLLARS???"

A 20 - 25 dollar game would be good, and might end up with a kind of swaps scene where after you play your one out you swap it for someone else's, or one where everyone in your group of friends has their own copy, but $60 is... what.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I wonder how much market there might be for custom-printed board games, or at least 'fill in the blanks' flavour.

Hell, given the origins of the hobby, I'm surprised you don't see more stuff like Warhammer encouraging battlemap-based RPGs with custom figures.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

8one6 posted:

Lootboxes but for entire boardgames sounds like a super lovely way to go about it.

Wouldn't be FFG without them trying to fleece people out of as much money as possible.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Yeah, FFG gonna FFG. Seems like one of those games that I'd be perfectly willing to play if someone else owns it but I'm probably never buying it myself. I tend to have patience for FFG's shenanigans though. :shrug:

Keyforge though, man, no way. Can't tolerate knowing that, given the list of cards, you could build a better legal deck, and just, aren't allowed to, because That's The Rules. gently caress that.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Looks like Dune is getting another TTRPG. I guess no more paying $500 for a copy of Chronicles of the Imperium.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kai Tave posted:

I mean it's not really a stretch to say that the Metal Gear Solid series has a decent overlap with cyberpunk themes particularly in the later installments like 4 and Revengeance.

It definitely isn't a cyberpunk series though. Almost every single game is very openly about preserving the status quo. Yeah, sure, there's a bunch of parts that point out why that's bad, but it's still what you're doing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lurdiak posted:

It definitely isn't a cyberpunk series though. Almost every single game is very openly about preserving the status quo. Yeah, sure, there's a bunch of parts that point out why that's bad, but it's still what you're doing.

To be fair in every game the change that's being presented is an extremely bad one

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair in every game the change that's being presented is an extremely bad one

Wasn't Solidus just going to wipe out the GW AI and then gently caress off? Like what Solid ends up doing 2 games later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Moriatti posted:

Wasn't Solidus just going to wipe out the GW AI and then gently caress off? Like what Solid ends up doing 2 games later?

Solidus didn't really understand what was going on. He just wanted to be in charge.