Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if you dont think you should ward never play support. or record your game in some recording software and explain to your teammates that you dont think its that important to ward in league, because of dota, and then post the conversation in the thread. i'm fine with either outcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
If you would ward, instead explain in chat in detail every ward that isn’t necessary like the thing that saves your game in ‘Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden’

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
The one thing I will say about league that is really nice is the games are much shorter. I just played a dota game and it was a pretty normal game and it lasted 50+ minutes. Like gently caress man that is a long loving time to play the same game.

I don't know if it's me just getting older and having less time on weeknights but it just seems like a long rear end time to play one game now.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

The one thing I will say about league that is really nice is the games are much shorter. I just played a dota game and it was a pretty normal game and it lasted 50+ minutes. Like gently caress man that is a long loving time to play the same game.

I don't know if it's me just getting older and having less time on weeknights but it just seems like a long rear end time to play one game now.

DotA is the better competitive and spectator game.

LoL is the better game to actually play yourself.

It's like street fighter versus Tekken, it's not any more complicated than that.

Calm down.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
they’re both good game

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Personally I think it's cowardly to want to know what the other team is doing and whether or not it is safe to go all-in and if someone is wandering out of position and turning themselves into a free kill. Real men never fear the unknown, or know it

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

"Riot leadership held a massive, company-wide meeting in March to inform workers that the company would reach a deficit if they continued on the current path." haha yikes. guess this is why they're calling ghostcrawler over onto that other project.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Radical posted:

"Riot leadership held a massive, company-wide meeting in March to inform workers that the company would reach a deficit if they continued on the current path." haha yikes. guess this is why they're calling ghostcrawler over onto that other project.

what "current path" is this? releasing sci-fi skins? making titty champions? adding true damage to kits and items?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Deciding not to make LoL newbie friendly until they had 150 champions and their playerbase is plummeting down :)

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

their current path is being a company without a diverse revenue stream that also has their current revenue stream in decline. league is still plenty popular or whatever but at some point riot has to make another game or start firing people. personally id like them to make another game that is fun.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

RealFoxy posted:

Deciding not to make LoL newbie friendly until they had 150 champions and their playerbase is plummeting down :)

If it makes you happy dota player base is crashing down hard too.

Maybe it is the genre that is slowly dying? I wonder how HOTS is doing.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Radical posted:

their current path is being a company without a diverse revenue stream that also has their current revenue stream in decline. league is still plenty popular or whatever but at some point riot has to make another game or start firing people. personally id like them to make another game that is fun.

riot should leverage their memorable and beloved characters and make a smash brothers league of legends

Dancer
May 23, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

riot should leverage their memorable and beloved characters and make a smash brothers league of legends

You *know* they'll go over-budget and bankrupt because of ultra-realistic boob physics. The only thing keeping them afloat is the fact that League doesn't zoom in close enough.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

pog boyfriend posted:

they're already doing this

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

pog boyfriend posted:

I think Sony trying this and failing miserably has dissuaded others from wanting to try it.

Someone said they might be working on a fighter but I think the market is just too saturated. Plus, I can't imagine people who play League, the "casual" MOBA, would be interested in playing what is essentially the most frustrating, competitive, and execution-based genre. I know a ton of people heavy into fighting games and not one of them play League, and I know a ton of people who play League who would never play a fighting game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think Sony trying this and failing miserably has dissuaded others from wanting to try it.

Someone said they might be working on a fighter but I think the market is just too saturated. Plus, I can't imagine people who play League, the "casual" MOBA, would be interested in playing what is essentially the most frustrating, competitive, and execution-based genre. I know a ton of people heavy into fighting games and not one of them play League, and I know a ton of people who play League who would never play a fighting game.

There are a handful of other "platform fighters" (though I prefer the proper term of "party game") like Rivals of Aether that are doing alright at being like Smash but they're all inevitably going to collapse when the people playing them all move off to the actual new Smash. As for the Riot/Radiant fighting game, you don't keep people like Patrick Miller and Seth Killian around if you're not doing something in that space.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

If it makes you happy dota player base is crashing down hard too.

Maybe it is the genre that is slowly dying? I wonder how HOTS is doing.

The genre's doing fine. The article Radical quoted from also talks about how Tencent wholesale ripped off League to create a mobile MOBA after Riot refused to port League to mobile and it became insanely popular. It's a combination of changing platform preferences - mobile is huge in terms of revenue generation - and overall shifts in popularity. A lot of people will simply play whatever the most popular online game is at the time, and at the moment in most of the world, it's indisputably Fortnite.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 14, 2018

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The path that Riot is most likely talking about is the huge amount of teams they employ that basically do loving nothing for League because they are trying to make Riot Games (s in Games) but have loving nothing to show for it. Riot could literally cancel 3 of their teams and be fine and I think that's the wake up call, the "League is going to be sustainable for itself, but if you want to do pet projects or things that will never see the light of day you'll need another cow to milk because league isn't going to be it"

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

no a smash brothers a fun party game you play with your friends and maybe one jack off watches pro streams and insists you play final destination rift with no items

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

njsykora posted:

As for the Riot/Radiant fighting game, you don't keep people like Patrick Miller and Seth Killian around if you're not doing something in that space.

Oh I'm not saying they're not doing it, I'm just saying I think it's a bad idea. I'll tell you what I would pay money for though: Mario Party 2 But League of Legends.

Vermain posted:

The genre's doing fine. The article Radical quoted from also talks about how Tencent wholesale ripped off League to create a mobile MOBA after Riot refused to port League to mobile and it became insanely popular. It's a combination of changing platform preferences - mobile is huge in terms of revenue generation - and overall shifts in popularity. A lot of people will simply play whatever the most popular online game is at the time, and at the moment in most of the world, it's indisputably Fortnite.

I think this is incredibly true, but the issue with MOBAs is that people don't really hop around from game to game almost at all. Moving from one MOBA to another usually means the game you're leaving is dead - that's why most Dota1 players went to HoN, and then came back for Dota2. I think the reason you're seeing big drop-offs from Dota and League is just because it's been like seven years. Both games are passed the point of getting new players, it's almost exclusively about keeping the ones you have, and I honestly can't say for Riot but Valve is doing a bad job. The only people left are the people who are well and truly in it for the long haul, and it's just been so long that the numbers are starting to fall off.

The pro scenes will be around for however long Riot and Valve want to throw money at the problem, but I think right now another MOBA could come in and steal away a huge portion of both player bases if the game was really solid. To elaborate after I said MOBA players don't hop games - Strife and Smite and HotS all failed for this reason but I think the average non-competitive players interest in Dota is SO low that they'd be willing to jump on board a MOBA that really looks promising

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 14, 2018

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Wouldn't this be ideal then, actually? Riot don't wanna compete with itself, it could have two separate audiences going.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CYBEReris posted:

Wouldn't this be ideal then, actually? Riot don't wanna compete with itself, it could have two separate audiences going.

Theoretically yes but this would be like trusting Nintendo to make a competitive fighting game. A game that I would trust them to make is...

pog boyfriend posted:

no a smash brothers a fun party game you play with your friends and maybe one jack off watches pro streams and insists you play final destination rift with no items

...which I think this would have more overlap with the current playerbase and was also the sort of game I was referencing when I mentioned Sony Smash Bros not being as simple of a cash-in as people thought

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

League has been utterly inaccessible to new players for several years now, almost every major change they make to the game is in the direction of more complexity. They need to either do some significant streamlining and/or hit on whatever their next game is or they're just gonna slowly bleed out.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I think y’all are focusing far too much League’s popularity. Just play whatever game you find fun and let the game companies worry about their profits.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

"if we continue on this trajectory we will lose money" is a great statement because it's so vague its meaningless. what does lose money mean? actually losing money? profits decreasing? when is eventually? 100 years? i wouldnt believe a word of that sentence personally.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Tales of Woe posted:

League has been utterly inaccessible to new players for several years now, almost every major change they make to the game is in the direction of more complexity. They need to either do some significant streamlining and/or hit on whatever their next game is or they're just gonna slowly bleed out.

Didn’t KCW write about complexity creep as it relates to league a while back? That column still affects how I evaluate every new champ design that comes out.

Yeah here we go. I think this was them, anyway.

Smol posted:

I think y’all are focusing far too much League’s popularity. Just play whatever game you find fun and let the game companies worry about their profits.

For a multiplayer game, though, it’s reasonable to be concerned with whether other people enjoy/can get into your favorite game. Ask those poor fucks still grinding away at MvC:I.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
that's cute, you think we "enjoy" League of Legends

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
League isn't more complex than it was years ago. There have been small incremental changes yes but the game is fundamentally the same and the way you play the map to win game is essentially the same as it's been since like season 5. Runes and masteries are about the same level of complexity as before (arguably less so because the runes are gone). It's not like HOTS or Overwatch where you need to learn new strategies every time they introduce a new map.

Honestly the support item changes, removal of banner of command/zzrot nerfed into oblivion and the nerfs to stuff like teleport and spellbook have simplified the game a lot.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 14, 2018

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think they dont spend enough time trying to make the game appealing to new players but citing new champions re: complexity re: new players is a bit of a stretch. there's 872 league champs that already exist, a new player who says "ah, the last 11 champions seem a bit complex" is being a bit short sighted

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Boxman posted:

For a multiplayer game, though, it’s reasonable to be concerned with whether other people enjoy/can get into your favorite game. Ask those poor fucks still grinding away at MvC:I.

I'm not going to worry about the health of league while I'm still able to get into a game usually within a minute.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Firebert posted:

League isn't more complex than it was years ago. There have been small incremental changes yes but the game is fundamentally the same and the way you play the map to win game is essentially the same as it's been since like season 5. Runes and masteries are about the same level of complexity as before (arguably less so because the runes are gone). It's not like HOTS or Overwatch where you need to learn new strategies every time they introduce a new map.

Honestly the support item changes, removal of banner of command/zzrot nerfed into oblivion and the nerfs to stuff like teleport and spellbook have simplified the game a lot.

I agree. I think that the introduction to the game would be even easier if they made the barrier to ranked play on the basis of mastering some basic mechanics rather than grinding xp. For my smurf I most leveled playing 3v3 bots. Why should I be able to play summoners rift after only grinding that?

Riot should improve in-game tutorials to teach advanced mechanics, even against bots, and when a player has demonstrated they understand them then get into ranked play (things like pulling the drake out of the pit, using pink wards to deny vision, damage taken from creeps during a trade, etc ). Riot should also make all champions free to access and find another incentive for rp purchases (e.g. release more skins!). Finally they should just integrate the blitz.gg app with the client because the basic matchup info, build order, and skill order make trying new champions fun and interesting instead of confusing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

milkman dad posted:

Riot should also make all champions free to access

Nothing makes a game more accessible than presenting a giant list of 100+ possible characters to new players.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

njsykora posted:

Nothing makes a game more accessible than presenting a giant list of 100+ possible characters to new players.

For me the biggest barrier to actually knowing what the heroes do is knowing I'll never play 90% of them. I'm not gonna go online and watch tutorial videos for a hero I can't even play, so pretty much every game has me not knowing what half the people in the game do. I'll try some of the free rotation heroes but otherwise I'm just gonna play Tristana since she's one of the few characters I actually have unlocked that I like.

Sorry but the idea that blocking heroes behind a paywall is somehow helpful to new players is dumb as hell. My first game of Dota2 I played I picked Skeleton King because he looked cool. I got owned by Venomancer, so I played like ten Venomancer games in a row until I got owned by a different hero, then played him. Repeat for 4000 hours. I'm never going to do that in League because if I get destroyed by a hero, I'm not gonna shell out cash to play as them.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Smol posted:

i want to play league of legends smash bros and pick blitzcrank and troll my friends by jumping off a cliff
And pulling them off. i want to destroy yasuos in a fighting game

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

njsykora posted:

I don't see how the converse of this statement is more correct. To unlock all champions for free playing one game a day would take at least 2 years from what I can tell, with the new random capsule mechanics it's hard to tell exactly. I understand if you're very new to the game you don't want to be paralyzed by complexity but surely after 3 months of regular play why wouldn't you want access to everything.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

They wouldn't have to be introduced immediately. It could use the current newbie rotation system for a while then unlock everything after a level threshold or quest series.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm never going to do that in League because if I get destroyed by a hero, I'm not gonna shell out cash to play as them.

You may not, but that's been a part of their marketing strategy for a long time.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

milkman dad posted:

I don't see how the converse of this statement is more correct. To unlock all champions for free playing one game a day would take at least 2 years from what I can tell, with the new random capsule mechanics it's hard to tell exactly. I understand if you're very new to the game you don't want to be paralyzed by complexity but surely after 3 months of regular play why wouldn't you want access to everything.

Its funny to imagine a pretend universe where someone sitting down to play and thinking to themselves "what, I'm allowed to play any of these characters? That's a lot! In fact, that's too many options, I'm just gonna quit here on the spot"

and then someone else boots up the game and says "oh, there's like 100+ plus characters but I can only play ten of them unless I spend money? Thank GOD, I was worried there for a minute that I'd have too many choices"

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Its funny to imagine a pretend universe where someone sitting down to play and thinking to themselves "what, I'm allowed to play any of these characters? That's a lot! In fact, that's too many options, I'm just gonna quit here on the spot"

and then someone else boots up the game and says "oh, there's like 100+ plus characters but I can only play ten of them unless I spend money? Thank GOD, I was worried there for a minute that I'd have too many choices"

This isn’t a pretend universe, it’s ours. The “paradox of choice,” and decision paralysis, are well-studied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Boxman posted:

Didn’t KCW write about complexity creep as it relates to league a while back? That column still affects how I evaluate every new champ design that comes out.

Yeah here we go. I think this was them, anyway.

I’m glad it made an impact :3: