Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did VG Close the Poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Total: 1 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

IncendiaC posted:

Same, I work in downtown so I'm hoping I can spot them sometime this week. Anyone know which hotel the players and talent are staying at?

https://twitter.com/teamsecret/status/1028906928695439361

you can figure it out from this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Day9 was bad because he wanted to be an analyst too and tried talking about game mechanics while simultaneously having played maybe 30 games of dota in his life, trying to say what he thinks teams should do and what heroes were good. Like him or not, the number of times he said "in MY pubs..." was almost comical, and you really shouldn't be bringing up your 1k mmr pubs like any of the former professional players on the desk are going to agree with your assessment of the meta.

Redeye is good because he knows what his job is, and that's to ask questions so the actual people who know what's going on can answer. I'm not sure how much other panel members tell him what to say, but he really seems to have done his research even if he doesn't play the game himself; he always does a good job of bringing up subtle trends (heroes with high pick rate and high pick/ban priority but low win rate) even at other tournaments than the one he's at. Day9's research was basically limited to, as I said before, playing maybe 30 games and as a result contributed very little to meaningful discussion. With that in consideration though, I can't imagine the same people would prep Redeye so well and then leave Day9 out to dry, so I'm thinking Redeye just puts in really good legwork with his research.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 14, 2018

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Day9 is fine. Everyone at this stage is fine really, most of them have been doing Dota/ESPORTS live TV events for like a decade now.

I'm looking forward to some GrandGrant TI casts myself

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
there's no room for anyone or anything to just be "fine" in the dota community's eyes, man. come on

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/wykrhm/status/1028095423255175169

in vancouver, $2 million USD gets you:

this house

or this house:

but it's not enough to get you:

this absolute grand palace

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

emdash posted:

there's no room for anyone or anything to just be "fine" in the dota community's eyes, man. come on

It's more of the issue that when there's other people out there who are significantly better that "fine", you're settling. Day9 is settling. Nevermind Redeye, nevermind the other plethora of hosts who have already been in the scene for years, we could have had Grandgrant two years in a row but instead we got Day9. Is that the life you wanna live?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It's more of the issue that when there's other people out there who are significantly better that "fine", you're settling. Day9 is settling. Nevermind Redeye, nevermind the other plethora of hosts who have already been in the scene for years, we could have had Grandgrant two years in a row but instead we got Day9. Is that the life you wanna live?

yes

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Majuju posted:

in vancouver, $2 million USD gets you:

Move to Ohio, you dofus

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/OH/44_rid/1750000-2000000_price/6976-7973_mp/priced_sort/43.874138,-76.135254,32.888813,-96.28418_rect/5_zm/0_mmm/

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

hell yeah

Majuju fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 14, 2018

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

we could have had Grandgrant two years in a row

:hai: :hai: :hai: :hai: :hai:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yes.

Also who gives a poo poo, March is around and that is confirmed cool and good.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

yeah, I get the wanting to keep analysis like, shallow enough or basic enough for a new viewer but personally I would also like people to pick apart what the teams are doing, thinking or attempting, or explaining why what they're doing is high level - which is not the host's job, I know but day9 was really aggressive about dragging discussion back to the level of 'haha, when Lion gets level 6, watch out LOTS OF DAMAGE from his ultimate, right guys'

And he wasn't really like... funny enough or good enough at anything else to make that worth putting up with

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

day9 objectively owns.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
if you prefer grandgrant over day9

you might be NA dota

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't care who is hosting

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
new vid for all my NA dota boysh (sponsored by, i think, chipotle and the survivor TV show?? maybe also haircolors??)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmKvLYPu6Rw

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Day9 is cool but it feels like he just stumbled into dota thanks to his fame while grandgrant lives it y'know.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm listening to the Purge/Slacks predictions and I feel like a theme when I listen to other predictions as well is going to be people overrating OG because they looked good against all the EU trash in the qualifiers with them. Probably same with iG and Serenity, though they haven't talked about them.

Also Purge keeps forgetting that there are 18 teams instead of 16 lol

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm listening to the Purge/Slacks predictions and I feel like a theme when I listen to other predictions as well is going to be people overrating OG because they looked good against all the EU trash in the qualifiers with them. Probably same with iG and Serenity, though they haven't talked about them.

same, but EG at the summit

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm listening to the Purge/Slacks predictions and I feel like a theme when I listen to other predictions as well is going to be people overrating OG because they looked good against all the EU trash in the qualifiers with them.

People have been overrating OG for almost a full year which is why everyone acted surprised when half their team left after accomplishing jack poo poo during the DPC season.

Hell, people have been overrating those players for the better part of three years. I remember when everyone was flabbergasted when the N0tail lineup of Fnatic broke up despite them winning basically nothing after their first tournament. My first introduction to N0tail was a panel hyping up his Meepo pick, saying he was the best Meepo player in the world. I was spamming Meepo in pubs at the time so I watched player perspective, he did absolutely nothing and they lost the game in like 25 minutes and everyone said "well rough game but man GREAT meepo play."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I feel like the last time I saw n0tail win with meepo was like TI4

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

If you put n0tail onto EG and dropped Sumail, you would have the physical embodiment of Undeserved Praise, right down the Bulba in the coaching slot.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

People have been overrating OG for almost a full year which is why everyone acted surprised when half their team left after accomplishing jack poo poo during the DPC season.

Hell, people have been overrating those players for the better part of three years. I remember when everyone was flabbergasted when the N0tail lineup of Fnatic broke up despite them winning basically nothing after their first tournament. My first introduction to N0tail was a panel hyping up his Meepo pick, saying he was the best Meepo player in the world. I was spamming Meepo in pubs at the time so I watched player perspective, he did absolutely nothing and they lost the game in like 25 minutes and everyone said "well rough game but man GREAT meepo play."

Overrating the team that was consistently stomped everyone at majors? When fnatic broke up, people weren't surprised because they were a good team, they were surprised because they were a really tightly knit team that never changed rosters. Same story for the recent OG break up; the team had been doing very poorly but to have them split at the last second was a big surprise, particularly notail and fly who've basically always played together since TI2.

Regardless, the performance of most teams will be pretty unpredictable this TI, there are only 2 teams that have consistent results in the previous year.

OG probably won't be great but they'll still be better than EG, the parody team

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Taffer posted:

OG probably won't be great but they'll still be better than EG, the parody team

ehhh let's not say things we can't take back

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Void beat Invoker? Sounds like Rubick is a lock now.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

botany posted:

ehhh let's not say things we can't take back

I post from my heart not my brain

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Taffer posted:

Overrating the team that was consistently stomped everyone at majors?

He said almost a full year, I don't think that is including the 2 major champion Ana OG team.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 14, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think OG will get out of groups and possibly win their Bo1 but that's about their limit. Ana and JeraX are good, notail as a support again is probably neutral, but ceb and topson do not give me any confidence

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/SirActionSlacks/status/1029405309775822848?s=19

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

mikeraskol posted:

He said almost a full year, I don't think that is including the 2 major champion Ana OG team.

So the Reso lineup? Who the hell overrated that team. We said they were trash and they were. They gave farm priority to nobrain

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
OG could be good, but there's a lot of question marks there. Topson hasnt played pro before, Ana hasnt in almost a year, n0tail hasnt played support in years and looked really bad on carry. Jerax is still good though, and Fuckingmad should be at least competent as an offlaner. Maybe they'll put it all together like DC and go deep, or maybe they'll get figured out or choke and get bounced in their first elimination match. It's impossible to say really.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zurreco posted:

Void beat Invoker? Sounds like Rubick is a lock now.

Remember that Void won the original Arcana Vote back when he got remodeled. I also hope he wins because Rubick is basically the mascot of the whiny crybaby supports who still ward the river rune and stack the jungle and then post on Reddit when they lose.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Knowlue posted:

So the Reso lineup? Who the hell overrated that team. We said they were trash and they were. They gave farm priority to nobrain

I agree. People were still a little hyped at like the first 2-3 tournaments but then it became apparent, very quickly, that Reso OG sucked.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mikeraskol posted:

I agree. People were still a little hyped at like the first 2-3 tournaments but then it became apparent, very quickly, that Reso OG sucked.

Apparent, maybe, to anyone who is not a professional caster attending events because the reality they were telling me about, where OG are a strong team, is very different than the one you are telling me about

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

The way topson disrespects and bullies in midlane freaking owns

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Apparent, maybe, to anyone who is not a professional caster attending events because the reality they were telling me about, where OG are a strong team, is very different than the one you are telling me about

I honestly cannot remember what you are talking about at all. There was widespread optimism at the start of the DPC season that Reso on OG was going to do good things. It went south really quickly, and I recall everyone recognizing that.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

I honestly cannot remember what you are talking about at all. There was widespread optimism at the start of the DPC season that Reso on OG was going to do good things. It went south really quickly, and I recall everyone recognizing that.

I might be misremembering, but I feel like Blitz really loving overrated that team for the longest time.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

TheRat posted:

I might be misremembering, but I feel like Blitz really loving overrated that team for the longest time.

That's very possible since he's best buds with Reso.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Old Goon in bathrobe rambles about rando poo poo.

Good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq84Sbidkgw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
btw who is going to TI from here? I wouldn't mind a meetup! Also I have an extra midweek + finals ticket as well